Then and Now - Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

Back in the day, if you were old enough and remembered, this was an all-out war between these two consoles. And, it did get a little nasty. I can still remember SEGA's commercial about how the genesis was the 'cool' console. It was a heated rivalry that seemed to mirror onto the people who played them. This is not an argument thread on what is better and why, but rather, a comparison of how you felt about the subject then, and how you feel now.

For example:

THEN: Super Nintendo

Why? Christmas gift, aside from Sonic, Genesis never really did it for me. Controller felt awkward with the three button in a row configuration.

NOW: Super Nintendo

Why? I can name a whole lot more C-L-A-S-S-I-C (wtf is up with a forbidden html error? lol) titles on the SNES than I can with the Genesis.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Back in the day, if you were old enough and remembered, this was an all-out war between these two consoles. And, it did get a little nasty. I can still remember SEGA's commercial about how the genesis was the 'cool' console. It was a heated rivalry that seemed to mirror onto the people who played them. This is not an argument thread on what is better and why, but rather, a comparison of how you felt about the subject then, and how you feel now.

For example:

Why? Christmas gift, aside from Sonic, Genesis never really did it for me. Controller felt awkward with the three button in a row configuration.

Why? I can name a whole lot more C-L-A-S-S-I-C (wtf is up with a forbidden html error? lol) titles on the SNES than I can with the Genesis.

TerragonSix
I would have to agree with you on both fronts. But don't get me wrong I like my genesis just not as much as my super nintendo.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

Gotta go with the SNES. So many more games, in fact I believe the SNES could have lasted longer than it did had people chosen to keep developing games for it. Super Mario RPG was one of the last games developed for it, and I remember people wondering if we needed a new system because RPG's graphics were so great at that time.

Nearly every game on that system was epic; Mario World, Yoshi's Island, plenty of Marvel superhero games, Star Wars Games, Street Fighter, Griffy's Winning Run, Mega Man X series, I could go on forever.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Honestly I dont understand the people who only played sonic 2 on their genesis and conclude that the SNES is a better system. Sonic isnt even close to being the top game for the genesis.. That system has a BIGGER library than the super nintendo by a large margine, the difference is that you have to look.. They were always weird off beat games with awkward names which is why they went under the radar... but when you played them youd realize how unqiue is library was which is why I prefer the system imo.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Then: ...Genesis. It had some of the exclusives I still like. i.e. Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Eternal Champions, Phantasy Star games, etc.

Snes had the better EA ports though and a controller more suited for fighting games.

Now: Genesis...I'm kinda biased(points to username) but I did always like it better and there are still some Genesis games I play today.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam. Allicrombie

Dude.. The psone and ps2s JRPG library is sooo much better than the SNES jrpg library.. Sure its great but come on.. I think there is like only 2 games on that system that dont force you to go through random battles every 3 seconds

And I would make a list of how many amazing games the genesis has but I guess its pointless because youve never played/heard of any of them I guess.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Then-Super Nintendo, becuase I knew them and Sega was alien to me. What can I say? I was xenophobic back then.

Now- Still SNES. Have both, dig both but there are about 2 dozen games in particular that ninty had that Sega didn't. For me that's the easy dealbreaker.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Allicrombie

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam. VendettaRed07

Dude.. The psone and ps2s JRPG library is sooo much better than the SNES jrpg library.. Sure its great but come on.. I think there is like only 2 games on that system that dont force you to go through random battles every 3 seconds

And I would make a list of how many amazing games the genesis has but I guess its pointless because youve never played/heard of any of them I guess.

Oh I'm not saying psone and ps2 didnt have some great games, they did. I'll even give you that the Genesis had its share of good stuff. But I dont think, for sheer volume, that any of those systems comes close to the SNES.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I dunno. Sure, it's harder to name some of the really good games on the Genesis, but it also had some very influential games for its time. There was the original MK, for both having the ability to retain all the arcade gore that helped make the series stand out, and there was the Sonic series that practically started on the system, and the one everyone remembers for being so good. As far as beat-em-ups go, The Genesis had the definitive example of the genre with Streets of Rage 2. You couldn't get much better than that unless you could go into an arcade at the time; more importantly, an arcade featuring the appropriate games to play. The only thing I didn't like back then about the Genesis, was that when the six-button controllers started showing up, none of the gaming stores that did accept trade-ins would cut you any breaks, and even as the genesis was phasing out, you still couldn't ever get a controller for a decent price. I know it was really good and all, but IIRC the thing was like $40 for one at the time... it was about the price of a decent game ferchrissake! :evil: Even then I hated such "forced upgrades". About the one thing that grew to really sour the genesis for me was all the different add-ons, and not really knowing if any of them were going to be worth the money. That, and I was definitely much poorer back then. I was stunned that I actually did own both systems even then. :o
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam. Allicrombie
While I preferred SNES to Genesis there were a lot of great exclusives that made both worth owning.

Genesis had Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Strider, Comix Zone, Columns, Road Rash (3 of them), Streets of Rage (3 of them), Sonic (quite a few if you count Spinball and 3D Blast), NFL 94, Mortal Kombat (uncensored), TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Rocket Knight, Truxton, Herzog Zwei, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Splatterhouse 2, Vectorman, Toe Jam & Earl, Shinobi (series), Moonwalker, Mutant League Football, Kid Chameleon, X-Men, X-Men 2, Ranger X, Phantasy Star, Blades of Vengeance, and Ecco the Dolphin.

SNES also had NBA Jam and NBA Jam T.E.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

For example:

TerragonSix

I'm different here. SNES and Genesis were probably my two favorite consoles of all-time. Well, Genesis and NES are awfully close in my book I really can't decide 2nd place between the two. Nonetheless, they are both awesome. Yet SNES is still #1 for me, I enjoy it's exclusives a lot more. And better version of the multiplatform games for the most part were better on SNES when compared to the Genesis.

Let's compare the best exclusives for each. It's easier when it's all out in front of you, and I'm geek so I like lists:

SNES:

1. Actraiser
  2. Actraiser 2
  3. Aero Fighters
  4. Breath of Fire
  5. Breath of Fire II
  6. Chrono Trigger
  7. Castlevania: Dracula X
  8. Contra III: The Alien Wars
  9. Darius Twin
  10. Donkey Kong Country
  11. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  12. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Trouble
  13. Doom
  14. F-Zero
  15. Final Fantasy II
  16. Final Fantasy III
  17. Final Fight
  18. Final Fight 2
  19. Final Fight 3
  20. Gradius III
  21. The Illusion of Gaia
  22. Killer Instinct
  23. Kirby's Super Star
  24. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  25. Marvel Super-Heroes: War of the Gems
  26. Mega Man 7
  27. Mega Man X
  28. Mega Man X2
  29. Mega Man X3
  30. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
  31. R-Type III: The Third Lighting
  32. Sim City
  33. Star Fox
  34. Street Fighter Alpha 2
  35. Super Castlevania IV
  36. Super Mario All-Stars
  37. Super Mario Kart
  38. Super Mario RPG
  39. Super Mario World
  40. Super Metroid
  41. Super R-Type
  42. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
  43. Top Gear
  44. Tetris & Dr. Mario
  45. Wolfenstein 3-D
  46. X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Genesis:

1. After Burner II
  2. Altered Beast
  3. Beyond Oasis
  4. Castlevania: Bloodlines
  5. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
  6. Columns
  7. Comix Zone
  8. Contra: Hard Corps
  9. Ecco The Dolphin
  10. Eternal Champions
  11. Golden Axe
  12. Golden Axe II
  13. Gunstar Heroes
  14. Landstalker
  15. Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker
  16. M.U.S.H.A.
  17. Phantasy Star II
  18. Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  19. Phantasy Star IV
  20. The Punisher
  21. Revenge of Shinobi
  22. Ristar
  23. Road Rash
  24. Road Rash II
  25. Road Rash III
  26. Rocket Knight Adventures
  27. Shining Force
  28. Shinobi III: Return of hte Ninja Master
  29. Sonic the Hedgehog
  30. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  31. Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  32. Sonic & Knuckles
  33. Space Harrier II
  34. Spider-Man (1991)
  35. Splatterhouse 2
  36. Splatterhouse 3
  37. Streets of Rage
  38. Streets of Rage 2
  39. Streets of Rage 3
  40. Strider
  41. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
  42. Vectorman
  43. Vectorman 2
  44. X-Men
  45. X-Men 2: The Clone Wars
  46. Wonder Boy in Monster World
  47. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Honestly I dont understand the people who only played sonic 2 on their genesis and conclude that the SNES is a better system. Sonic isnt even close to being the top game for the genesis.. That system has a BIGGER library than the super nintendo by a large margine, the difference is that you have to look.. They were always weird off beat games with awkward names which is why they went under the radar... but when you played them youd realize how unqiue is library was which is why I prefer the system imo.

VendettaRed07

Both the Genesis and the SNES for a fact had almost 800 games released for them in the North American and European regions - the SNES wins by a small margin. But then there were several hundred more games for the SNES in Japan and not nearly as many japanese-exclusive Mega Drive games.

I'll mention an "oddball" then: Rolo to the Rescue! Anyone ever play that? It's one of the best platformers for the Mega Drive / Genesis imo.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Since I don't own a SNES, it would be wrong of me to say which is better.

from what I did play, its a good system , though Im not a big fan of Nintendo's 1st party games (at least the ones I played)

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
SNES, though both are great systems.
JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

I dunno. Sure, it's harder to name some of the really good games on the Genesis, but it also had some very influential games for its time. There was the original MK, for both having the ability to retain all the arcade gore that helped make the series stand outcodezer0

I find the Mk series on the Genesis is far superior to the SNES version the music in MK 1 on the genesis is just amazingly bad ass. Most games that came out on both systems IMO go to the Genesis.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
MK2 was the only one that was decisively superior on the SNES. I think it was at that point that Nintendo learned its lesson for trying to censor the first, and let Midway go full out with the game. Arguably, the SNES did have superior sound hardware too.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm sorry. I love the Genesis, but the SNES was just a better console. Part of my reasoning is that some of the SNES games were so good--covering pretty much every genre--that playing Genesis games afterwards somehow diminished them. Super Mario World is so far ahead of any Genesis platformer. It's like going from Street Fighter II: Turbo, and then back to the original Street Fighter. Star Fox, Zelda, Mario Kart, Earthbound--the SNES just had the best of the best. I think it is one of the few consoles where its best games are still yet to be topped, even today.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
Genesis had Shining Force 1 & 2 and both were great games. I agree with your other point though completely. SNES did have the best RPG library and is the reason its my 2nd fav console of all time.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

You forgot road rash series, desert strike series, mutant league football, rocket knight adventures, battletech, Robocop versus the Terminator, earthworm jim (better on the genesis), and toejam and earl. 0_0, how did you miss those? Well this proves that there is a super nintendo bias, people dont even know a lot of the sega genesis games. I blame Sega, they did all those stupid things at the end that made every game slide off the radar.

Anyways my opinion is that fighter games suck, megaman sucks because you can only shoot straight, but the enemies always come at a angle. Doom and wolfenstein, are ok on the snes, but they are slow, like when shooting, or turning, and sim city on snes = meh. I really do not care about RPGS, so repetitive and mind numbing. Dont care about games like R-type, also I found that castlevania on the super nintendo was boring, the music put me to sleep. And contra was really only good on the original nintendo.

I own both, but I find that I mostly have sega genesis games. I think the reason the genesis was not popular in Japan is because they are collectivist, and probably dont like fast paced games (which fps games are generally designed to be fast moving). I guess I am an action oriented person, while others are more about the thinking element to games (rpgs). And I daresay that Japanese think way differently, I think it might be because they are not very strong individually, so they prefer things that are more thinking oriented because that is what is usually collectively valued more.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

shining force? shining force 2? Phantasy star 2,3 and 4? Beyond Oasis? Crusader of Centy? Landstalker?

you know just to name a few

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

Once again I gotta stick with the SNES. There's a reason why Sega is not making consoles anymore.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darkman2007

Once again I gotta stick with the SNES. There's a reason why Sega is not making consoles anymore.

Jurassic85
because their competitors were better at marketing then they were. you would be surprised how much marketing has to do with sales.
JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

Adding to my previous comment the NHL series is far superior on the Genesis.
NHL 94 on the Genesis is one of the best if not the best sports games all time.

Shining Force 2 i think can compete with any SNES RPG

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerragonSix

If SEGA hadn't wasted time with expansion modules such as the SEGA CD or 32x, I think they would've fared a lot better with their next gen console. And you're right, the marketing venture that SEGA was 'cooler', in my opinion, sort of backfired. Super Nintendo beat Genesis to Street Fighter II. I always thought the controller layout was better on the SNES, it felt ergonomically better than the Genesis.

You know, really thinking about it though, SEGA had a LOT of underrated games. I always thought Eternal Champions could give Street Fighter a run for its money. I've played both, and the idea of fighting through a game to get an opportunity to cheat death is very luring.

I always thought Andretti Racing didn't get enough credit as being a fair racing game.

SEGA had it's share, but in terms of business, SNES beat SEGA.

It is unfortunate SEGA bowed out of the console industry.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

For me the Snes wins

the Genesis library no matter how much you look around it was literally completelyobliterated by the Snes library on every genre. On top of that Sega lacked key franchises like Final Fantasy, Mega Man X, Dragon Quest and the incredible Nintendo games like Metroid, Zelda, Kirby and Mario. Another thing is that the Genesis didn't have the one and only ******* CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!1!1! On top of all this theSnes games had better graphics (85% of the time) and much better sound (100% of the time) that any Gensis game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam. Allicrombie

Oh I'm not saying psone and ps2 didnt have some great games, they did. I'll even give you that the Genesis had its share of good stuff. But I dont think, for sheer volume, that any of those systems comes close to the SNES.

I just did a google search and used multiple sources like racket boy and gamespot and the conclusion is that the PS1 had more JRPG games than the Snes and by quite a margin. The difference is that more of these games from the Super Nes came to the states while most of the PS1 Jrpg's were stuck in Japan probably because they were harder to localize.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

You forgot road rash series, desert strike series, mutant league football, rocket knight adventures, battletech, Robocop versus the Terminator, earthworm jim (better on the genesis), and toejam and earl. 0_0, how did you miss those? Well this proves that there is a super nintendo bias, people dont even know a lot of the sega genesis games. I blame Sega, they did all those stupid things at the end that made every game slide off the radar.

mahlasor

Yeah, I did forget Road Rash Rocket Knight Adventres, my bad. But then there are 40+ games on the list, so I wasn't trying to be biased at all, it's just easy to forget a few when you're listing that many. If I was being biased I would list the Sonic games, Golden Axe games, and Streets of Rage games and leave it that like many biased people do.

But Desert Strike, Robocop Versus The Terminator, and Earthworm Jim aren't Genesis exclusive. And Toe Jam and Earl was a bad game, IMO. I wouldn't include it my list. Feel free to include in yours, though, just not mine.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ohthemanatee

For me the Snes wins

the Genesis library no matter how much you look around it was literally completelyobliterated by the Snes library on every genre. On top of that Sega lacked key franchises like Final Fantasy, Mega Man X, Dragon Quest and the incredible Nintendo games like Metroid, Zelda, Kirby and Mario. Another thing is that the Genesis didn't have the one and only ******* CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!1!1! On top of all this theSnes games had better graphics (85% of the time) and much better sound (100% of the time) that any Gensis game.

Gue1

I strongly disagree

also, there were times when genesis games sounded better

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

It seems like we've drifted away from the topic. It was supposed to be your personal feelings and experiencesof the consoles right?

Why do you guysstate how manygames were released for each console? No one owned ALL the games for the consoles back in the day. I can understand the lists of exclusives though.

I didn't care how many Japanese rpg-games were released for the SNES Back In The Day for example.

THEN: Genesis. Because I played it more and Sega was a "cooler" system.

NOW: SNES because I do think that the multi-plat games play a bit better. I haven't compared ALL games ,but for sure Black Thorne and Rock N Roll Racing at least Sound better.

Love both consoles though.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mahlasor

Lets get one thing straight here, Yes those are not exclusive, but they basically are much better on the Genesis, so it really only counts for the Genesis, what I mean is whatever system it is best on... that system should count that game as really their own. You wouldnt want to play robocop versus the terminator on the snes, it is also a different game really. Earthworm Jim is fine on both consoles, except it is just a port on the SNES, much slower; it just isnt the same as the genesis with the slowdowns. Toejam and Earl is not a bad game, never wasಠ_ಠ. What is this, I dont even... 0_o

There is no way in hell that game sucks, by any measure it does not suck, it is so different from any game out there, there really is no flaw in it, you cant really make it better. I can understand if it is just not your taste (your loss), but sayying it is a bad game is erroneous. This is why I really do not give a crap what the majority of gamers like, like they say majority preference does not convey what is better. You either did not understand the game, have a prejudice, or hate funk. The game is what gaming should be, relaxation. Not like megaman, where you are constantly getting hit by enemies going in 90 degree angle, and constantly having to mash buttons. Anyways this is an example of a awesome game that had no marketing, the only reason why it turned out well was because of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Come to think of it, the big difference between the sega genesis and the Snes, was the Genesis did not get into the button mashing business as much.

people remember the Snes more because Sega made a bunch of mistakes that made the Sega Genesis look bad (think sega cd).

Anyways, my personal feelings is hard to really tell, I can barely remember playing the Genesis and SNES, and too be honest. Both were just as awesome. But now... I go with the Genesis, when I went collecting, I found I kept running into new Genesis games, but for the SNES, there is nothing that I have not played except F-Zero.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emerald_Warrior

Lets get one thing straight here, Yes those are not exclusive, but they basically are much better on the Genesis, so it really only counts for the Genesis, what I mean is whatever system it is best on... that system should count that game as really their own. You wouldnt want to play robocop versus the terminator on the snes, it is also a different game really. Earthworm Jim is fine on both consoles, except it is just a port on the SNES, much slower; it just isnt the same as the genesis with the slowdowns. Toejam and Earl is not a bad game, never wasಠ_ಠ. What is this, I dont even... 0_o

There is no way in hell that game sucks, by any measure it does not suck, it is so different from any game out there, there really is no flaw in it, you cant really make it better. I can understand if it is just not your taste (your loss), but sayying it is a bad game is erroneous. This is why I really do not give a crap what the majority of gamers like, like they say majority preference does not convey what is better. You either did not understand the game, have a prejudice, or hate funk. The game is what gaming should be, relaxation. Not like megaman, where you are constantly getting hit by enemies going in 90 degree angle, and constantly having to mash buttons. Anyways this is an example of a awesome game that had no marketing, the only reason why it turned out well was because of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Come to think of it, the big difference between the sega genesis and the Snes, was the Genesis did not get into the button mashing business as much.

people remember the Snes more because Sega made a bunch of mistakes that made the Sega Genesis look bad (think sega cd).

Anyways, my personal feelings is hard to really tell, I can barely remember playing the Genesis and SNES, and too be honest. Both were just as awesome. But now... I go with the Genesis, when I went collecting, I found I kept running into new Genesis games, but for the SNES, there is nothing that I have not played except F-Zero.

mahlasor

Don't know what to tell you. I thought it sucked, therefore it wasn't on the list I made of great Genesis games. I did say in my comment that you can feel free to put it in your list, but it's not going in mine. I don't like it. I grew up on rock, so the hip-hop characters have absolutely zero appeal to me.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mahlasor

The problem is you give no reasons for saying it sucked. Other than "I liked rock music." I dont think it is necessarily about what kind of music you like... That just makes no sense. What you have is a prejudice. Look, I know what that is like, I loved sonic 1&2 but when I played sonic 3 years later (without ever have played it), for some reason I thought it was crap, but now I love the game. I guess I just did not really understand the music, because it was so much different. I already told you I do not like RPGS, etc, but I did not say to take it out of the list or anything. You cant just exclude an awesome game just so the SNES has one more good game.XD

Not that long ago, I showed a online friend a video of Musha, right off the bat he said "that game sucks!" No reason, just he immediately did not like it. Its just a prejudice. I mean, you like Musha, right? But just because one person does not like Musha, does not denote the game, so it is still a good game, but you just happen not to be into it. Which is why the system wars back then was awesome, the differences were great. And now we have this junk were all three companies want to be the same thing >_>. So, if anything I am glad you have a different taste, THAT IS THE POINT! Dont you see? They were both good, just one happened to be more popular, the Super Nintendo didnt sell because it was a way better system, it just happened to appeal to a wider audience. Then again, I still think Sega really ruined the Genesis image with those add ons.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Emerald_Warrior

The problem is you give no reasons for saying it sucked. Other than "I liked rock music." I dont think it is necessarily about what kind of music you like... That just makes no sense. What you have is a prejudice. Look, I know what that is like, I loved sonic 1&2 but when I played sonic 3 years later (without ever have played it), for some reason I thought it was crap, but now I love the game. I guess I just did not really understand the music, because it was so much different. I already told you I do not like RPGS, etc, but I did not say to take it out of the list or anything. You cant just exclude an awesome game just so the SNES has one more good game.XD

Not that long ago, I showed a online friend a video of Musha, right off the bat he said "that game sucks!" No reason, just he immediately did not like it. Its just a prejudice. I mean, you like Musha, right? But just because one person does not like Musha, does not denote the game, so it is still a good game, but you just happen not to be into it. Which is why the system wars back then was awesome, the differences were great. And now we have this junk were all three companies want to be the same thing >_>. So, if anything I am glad you have a different taste, THAT IS THE POINT! Dont you see? They were both good, just one happened to be more popular, the Super Nintendo didnt sell because it was a way better system, it just happened to appeal to a wider audience. Then again, I still think Sega really ruined the Genesis image with those add ons.

mahlasor

No, there's no problem here. I think it sucks and that's my opinion, I'm entitled to it. The only problem here is that for some reason you think my opinion is wrong, which isn't possible because it's an opinion. Move on.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

You guys aren't even talking about any of the two consoles the topic concerns or even about games, but about music. Could we let subcultural identifications aside here for a moment?

The thing here is that you, mahlasor, first state 0 reasons as to why Tomejam & Earl is a good game, instead claiming that those who don't like it simply don't understand it because of the music. And then when Emerald_Warrior confirms your suspicions by admitting he doesn't care for the music, you go on a rampage about how he is just prejudiced and give no reasons as to why the game would suck.

Mildly amusing. But discussing on such a level is bound to lead to annoyance and frustration soon enough.

You said that the "Genesis did not get into the button mashing business as much", mahlasor. The Genesis didn't have as many straight action/arcade games as the SNES, is that what you're saying? Check again.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

For me the Snes wins

ohthemanatee

I strongly disagree

also, there were times when genesis games sounded better

it really just depended on who created the music and sound effects , a talented sound programmer can get some good music out of the Mega Drive.

I mean , the MD's sound system was nothing special , but the SNES was only a notch or two up in quality.

Its strange, but it seems that this is the only generation where people over emphesize the sound quality, I can think of other generations where there was a different in the sound quality, sometimes even more noticable, and nobody mentions it much.

And yes I agree, the idea of the MD having a vastly inferior library , is somewhat exaggerated , for one, I prefer Sega's first party games over Nintendo's.

Most of the multi platform games ive seen aren't too different either, other then a few more colours and better sound, the SNES and MD versions are basically identical .

And while the SNES has the FF series and the DQ series, the MD has Phantasy Star and Shining Force, so it all works out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

it really just depended on who created the music and sound effects , a talented sound programmer can get some good music out of the Mega Drive.

I mean , the MD's sound system was nothing special , but the SNES was only a notch or two up in quality.

Its strange, but it seems that this is the only generation where people over emphesize the sound quality, I can think of other generations where there was a different in the sound quality, sometimes even more noticable, and nobody mentions it much.

And yes I agree, the idea of the MD having a vastly inferior library , is somewhat exaggerated , for one, I prefer Sega's first party games over Nintendo's.

Most of the multi platform games ive seen aren't too different either, other then a few more colours and better sound, the SNES and MD versions are basically identical .

And while the SNES has the FF series and the DQ series, the MD has Phantasy Star and Shining Force, so it all works out.

Darkman2007

FF, DQ, Mario RPG, Earthbound, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Breath of Fire, etc. No contest here. The thing with these series of games, though, is that they were ALL truly AAA-well polished games. This is the big reason the snes was superior. It had GREAT games in just about every genre. The only one I can think of that was lacking was perhaps the strategy genre--in the vein of DUNE for the genesis.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Heirren

FF, DQ, Mario RPG, Earthbound, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Breath of Fire, etc. No contest here. The thing with these series of games, though, is that they were ALL truly AAA-well polished games. This is the big reason the snes was superior. It had GREAT games in just about every genre. The only one I can think of that was lacking was perhaps the strategy genre--in the vein of DUNE for the genesis.

despite what people might prefer, its a bit exagerated to say the SNES was vastly better. I might like the PS1 and Saturn more then the N64, but that doesnt mean the N64 was bad .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

despite what people might prefer, its a bit exagerated to say the SNES was vastly better. I might like the PS1 and Saturn more then the N64, but that doesnt mean the N64 was bad .

I'm not calling any console mentioned, bad. I'm simply stating that the bulk of the cream of the crop developers were making snes games, first and foremost. SNES vs GENESIS is similar to 360 vs PS3, BUT to the extent that Nintendo was joined with Sony. That is really how many very high quality games were being produced for the console. Not only did you have the Nintendo factor--which most people will not argue against in that time--but just about every other high calibur developer was with nintendo.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Heirren

the genesis was also better at SHMUPS and beat´em ups imo

I also preferred the genesis for it's action games (action games as in Contra, Castlevania, Gunstar heroes, etc.)

also, I think that both consoles had great games in every genre, even FPS (yes, the genesis had a few)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

ohthemanatee

I also preferred the genesis for it's action games (action games as in Contra, Castlevania, Gunstar heroes, etc.)

also, I think that both consoles had great games in every genre, even FPS (yes, the genesis had a few)

Super Contra was on the SNES, and it is the best contra ever made. Castlevania is also best on snes. I'll give you gunstar heroes. Again, I'm not arguing anything against Genesis, just that the snes had games which have yet to be topped, even today.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

FF, DQ, Mario RPG, Earthbound, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Breath of Fire, etc. No contest here. The thing with these series of games, though, is that they were ALL truly AAA-well polished games. This is the big reason the snes was superior. It had GREAT games in just about every genre. The only one I can think of that was lacking was perhaps the strategy genre--in the vein of DUNE for the genesis.Heirren

Super Contra was on the SNES, and it is the best contra ever made. Castlevania is also best on snes. I'll give you gunstar heroes. Again, I'm not arguing anything against Genesis, just that the snes had games which have yet to be topped, even today.

since I don't own a SNES, I won't say its better or worse, but obviously its all opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Darkman2007

Some of it is opinion, but some of it is fact. Contra on the SNES, for example, was a game that couldn't technically be done on the genesis.

since I don't own a SNES, I won't say its better or worse, but obviously its all opinion.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ohthemanatee

Heirren

personally I think that contra and castlevania for the Genesis are better then it's SNES counterparts

and for me Super castlevania IV is one of the weakest games in the series (not counting the 3D ones) and a massive step back from castlevania 3

opinion, but some of it is fact. Contra on the SNES, for example, was a game that couldn't technically be done on the genesis.Heirren

the only technical aspect that couldn't and wasn't done on the genesis in Contra: Hard corps is the top down levels

and let's face it, those were awkward as hell,

contra hard corps had a lot more varierty then Contra 3 (again, imo), the hellicopter level was there, the bike level was there, you had a running boss, mode 7 like graphics, 4 characters, 3 endings (plus a secret a ending), branching storylines and you could even fight robo Simon Belmont

with that said the game was very cheap, making it unfairly difficult

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mahlasor

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

ohthemanatee

personally I think that contra and castlevania for the Genesis are better then it's SNES counterparts

and for me Super castlevania IV is one of the weakest games in the series (not counting the 3D ones) and a massive step back from castlevania 3

I totally agree, I think part of it is the sound, why so high pitched? Wait, I know... to attract young people, think about it, even the graphics are kind of like that, for example Teenage Ninja Turtles on the Genesis versus SNES. Both great games, but the SNES even has baby blue graphics! Both the same, but you can notice the differences. They obviously are aiming for the toddlers on the SNES, while aiming for teenagers on the Genesis. Castlvania on the snes made me really sleepy.

I would like to say that compared to the original NES, they both are way too far out there. It might as well been called something else. Contra hard corps made no sense, it had totally different characters, it really could of been called something else. But, I couldnt stand the high pitched sounds on the SNES contra ಠ_ಠ. Both are way too fast in an unrealistic way, usually I like that, but it was just a bit too quick, cant really plan much. More like a endurance test XD. I like the original because the pace is realistic, the sounds are just right.

Heirren

The truth is, when someone says a game suck without having some line of reasoning, that is not opinion, that is a prejudice, so I cant take the statement "game sucks," seriously. An example is someone actually said to me Musha sucks, but he never said he did not like it because it was a shoot em up/not his type. That does not count as a valid opinion, such a person should be taken with a grain of salt, as the game is actually worth 1.5 times as much as it originally sold for. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000AQEB22/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1291396305&sr=8-1&condition=used

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts
Then and now...Sega Genesis. One of my favorite consoles. And it did have Sonic.
wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
I love Sonic 2. I rather play that than Super Mario World. I don't know if it's just me but Mario is sluggish; it's like he's running through water or something. Go ahead and spend some time with Sonic 2 and then try and play SMW. You notice a difference. And Donkey Kong Country? the controls felt a bit too sensitive. Streets of Rage series is the best beat'em up during that time. Revenge of Shinobi was awesome (did the SNES have any comparable game?) Shining Force 2 was a lot of fun too - it's simplicity makes it very pick-up and play friendly. If the question was whether to pick Sega games over Nintendo made games - I'd go with Sega. But the SNES has so many quality exclusives that I'll pick the SNES for a console.
TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TerragonSix

If we were to make it a talking point, in terms of 16 bit consoles, Genesis sold the most worldwide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive#Console_wars

And...As for game libraries, the SEGA Genesis has the larger of the two. Whether it had more highly recognizable titles is very debatable.

And...The Sega Virtua Processor runs at higher framerate and was more stable than SNES's Super FX chip.

I'm an SNES guy, but you have to give the Genesis credit; they were an extremely fierce competitor and rival. Just by looking at this thread, that rivalry trickled down to the consumers, and still to this day, us retro guys debate it. You could compare it to Chevrolet Camaro owners vs. Ford Mustang owners. We will all agree to disagree.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Allicrombie

If we were to make it a talking point, in terms of 16 bit consoles, Genesis sold the most worldwide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive#Console_wars

And...As for game libraries, the SEGA Genesis has the larger of the two. Whether it had more highly recognizable titles is very debatable.

And...The Sega Virtua Processor runs at higher framerate and was more stable than SNES's Super FX chip.

I'm an SNES guy, but you have to give the Genesis credit; they were an extremely fierce competitor and rival. Just by looking at this thread, that rivalry trickled down to the consumers, and still to this day, us retro guys debate it. You could compare it to Chevrolet Camaro owners vs. Ford Mustang owners. We will all agree to disagree.

TerragonSix
agree to disagree nothing, SNES wins, cause I said so. =P