GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

*I don’t mean to pick on Microsoft because everyone knows that Sony has also run its share of cheap lowbrow promos*

Think about the companies that gaming chooses to run contests and promos with: McDonalds, Taco Bell, Mountain Dew, Doritos, etc. It‘a never enter for a chance to win when you buy Nike shoes or sign up for a gym membership or donate to the March of Dimes.

Just like Bill posits that Superman disguises himself as Clark Kent to be weak, unsure, and a coward because Clark Kent is Superman’s critique of the whole human race, the outside companies that gaming chooses to run its promos through is a window into what the industry truly thinks of its customers.

As stated in my other post, I have never seen another hobbyist industry that disrespects and hates its customers as much as gaming does.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Ha! Yeah, it is a weird situation.

I can't really blame them though. For every Henry Cavil, there are probably 200 Comic-Book-Guys out there.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

People buy shoes 2 or 3 times a year on average. How many gym memberships do you sign up for at one time? Lots of people buy McDonalds, Mountain Dew, Doritos and Taco Bell on a daily basis. Providing much more exposure to the contest and the products involved in the contest. Pretty basic.

You're welcome.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

@GalvatronType_R:

Not gunna lie I never thought about it like this but you have a point. It’s like they are saying they know their customers are fat, out of shape, slovenly basement dwellers. I don’t expect them to pair up with a shoe company as they won’t generate as much exposure or sales, but even get on with some healthier food/drink choices or stay away from the greasy fast food industry.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GalvatronType_R

It’s official. It’s not just Mircrosoft, Burger King is giving away the PS5.

Gaming industry: our customers are fat fast food eating misanthropes who will buy our stuff no matter what.

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

Lame comparison. Everyone eats food daily.

Also, fitness is a different hobby. Not saying you can't be into two different things - but it's almost like you're competing against yourself.

Also these deals aren't one-sided. It does not make a lot of sense for planet fitness to court Microsoft to run a promotion like this. It's counter-intuitive.

I think this is more of a deeper issue you have with your own stereotypes of being a gamer.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Sounds counterintuitive to me eating fast food for a chance to win a gym membership.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GalvatronType_R

@Watch_My_6: what are you talking about "my" stereotypes of being a gamer?

Sure, gamers are fat, sweaty, hairy, antisocial losers but the point is that the gaming industry thinks that about their customers. Who cares what a nobody like me thinks?

The evidence is the gaming industry running all their promos through industries that cater to a large segment of fat sweaty losers (i.e., fast food, sugary drinks, junk food, etc.).

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

@Watch_My_6: what are you talking about "my" stereotypes of being a gamer?

Sure, gamers are fat, sweaty, hairy, antisocial losers but the point is that the gaming industry thinks that about their customers. Who cares what a nobody like me thinks?

The evidence is the gaming industry running all their promos through industries that cater to a large segment of fat sweaty losers (i.e., fast food, sugary drinks, junk food, etc.).

I mean that you do not like being associated with that very culture - even though we both know that not all gamers are like that. You do not like the fact that this perpetuates the stereotype.

None of your other options are realistic, as people have pointed out in this thread.