The game you played most recently, how was it?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e28550f49c5f
deactivated-5e28550f49c5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5e28550f49c5f
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Video game researchers are keen to hear about your most recent experiences of playing a video game! It can be any video game of your choice on any platform of your choice. Your responses are a valuable contribution to science!

MODERATOR EDIT: Took out accompanying link to a survey, but left topic open to discussion.

- @zassimick

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@sevenfridays: Why not ask the question in direction to the Forum you posted it in; instead of coming across as spam?

So to try and give this thread purpose (as I like the question)-

My latest game is Sonic: Mania on PS4. And despite some gimmicky boss battles, came to the conclusion it's a fantastic platformer, the level design alone is the best the series has ever had. Bold claim I know. Yet will dial-it-back-down to how recycled alot of the content looks and feels from the much older games, when really it could have done fine with just the unique levels, and expand on those. Haven't scored it yet, but I'm leaning to an 8/10.

Also replaying some Demento on PS3. I've been playing it again and again for a year or so now, I just really like this game particularly, how it tackles the stealth/ puzzle vibe in a Survival Horror is catered to my taste. It's a classic_

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

My most recent game was Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. I beat it last night after playing for a few days. It was cool. I'd give it an 8/10. Now I've beaten every Uncharted game and am looking forward to picking up Lost Legacy next week.

slimster2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 slimster2309
Member since 2017 • 68 Posts

The last game I played was Pyre on PS4. The game has a unique, stunning, and beautiful aesthetic. The art and sound design is truly amazing. Everything from the world, characters, soundtrack, announcer, and in game language has clear direction and culminates into an awesome and original experience. The (lite-)RPG elements of leveling and managing your party, making choices along your journey, and buying/selling items all keep the game engaging in between the Rites. The gameplay of the rites is strategic, fast paced, and sport-like. My limited vocabulary cannot do this game justice. I wish the game had online features to play matches against other people, although it does have a local versus. Have not completed the game yet, but this far in I'd score the game 9.5/10.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

dark souls 2 on the PS3. i still dont get on with the series.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Edited the original post to remove the link.

Last game I played was Horizon: Zero Dawn. Started it last night but didn't get very far at all as I was suddenly hit with a wave of exhaustion. It's a pretty game though and controls well. I'll have more impressions later.

But the last game I played for a while was Splatoon 2. It's fun, but the competitive multiplayer of the game makes me feel like playing Halo 5 mp more than continuing in Splatoon. It's odd, but whatever. The game itself is good; looks great and plays sharp. I need to continue playing to work up the ranks and get better gear.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
@zassimick said:

Splatoon 2. It's fun

That's reassuring, many gave it great reviews but didn't know if it was just the zeitgeist effect on release_

Going to jump back into Splatoon when I grab a Switch, as the multiplayer was really fun and the overall theme is great. Only big issue I had with the original is they released a very thinly stripped game which was begging for more content.

And because I'm not big on competitive shooters, if I have to wait for the much-needed content? I'm already out the window playing something else very quickly :P

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@zassimick said:

Splatoon 2. It's fun

That's reassuring, many gave it great reviews but didn't know if it was just the zeitgeist effect on release_

Going to jump back into Splatoon when I grab a Switch, as the multiplayer was really fun and the overall theme is great. Only big issue I had with the original is they released a very thinly stripped game which was begging for more content.

And because I'm not big on competitive shooters, if I have to wait for the much-needed content? I'm already out the window playing something else very quickly :P

It's Nintendo so the sales won't necessarily come, but if you can wait for a discount I'd urge you to do so. The game is still thin on the content. The solo campaign is meh. There's a new mode called Salmon Run which is like Horde Mode in Gears, but only goes during certain times unless you have 3 other friends and can play locally. Otherwise, the online multiplayer is the place to go.

I'm not big on competitive shooters either. Halo and Splatoon are pretty much it for me. But Splatoon is fun even the few times I pick it up; it's a good introduction to online due to it giving you the feeling that you're always supporting your team.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I recently returned to Nier Automata. When I stopped playing I had only 5-6 hours in the game, but now I'm 17-18 hours into. The story is not very good (it still keeps me going because 2B and 9S are decent characters). Althought it always fun to see the wierd things that the robots are doing, like Romeo and Juliet's show, which was tragic.

The world is linear, empty and boring. And the graphics are too much gray. The battle system is great, althought not as much as Bayonetta. Still better than Metal Gear Rising. On the other hand, Nier Automata is way worth the price from Bayonetta because it is much longer game.

SoupyFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By SoupyFlow
Member since 2014 • 136 Posts

I've been playing ALOT of Playerunknown's Battlegrounds over the past two months. Amazing game and it's still just in Early Access. :)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ

@zassimick:

but if you can wait for a discount I'd urge you to do so. The game is still thin on the content. The solo campaign is meh

Splatoon 2 will be with a pile of games I want for the Switch when I get the device. It will likely be on discount when I get around to buying the game. Unlike when I grabbed the original, I will not be getting it too early. I just hope when I have the game, its got plenty of content.

there's a new mode called Salmon Run which is like Horde Mode in Gears, but only goes during certain times unless you have 3 other friends and can play locally

Reads alot like special events in Monster Hunter games (which are also timed). A concept I've seen in a few other games. I'm ok with that. Seems cool, and a Horde mode should be fun, I'm a fan of the Gears of War franchise :)

@yammireckorrdsan: The story gets pretty good later on, I didn't think much of it early-on either and stayed for Platinums gameplay charm, yet later on the story gets very good. It's a late bloomer in that area, if you can last that long (it's a big game).

Though in honesty Nier: Automatas biggest flaw is how terrible the level design is. I really don't like it. And considering that's something Platinum Games usually handle very well, I was a bit disappointed in the game.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#12 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

The last game I played was Bayonetta on my Xbox One. It's cool.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Ratchet & Clank PS4. I enjoyed playing it but wish the campaign was longer. Gameplay felt smooth. Visuals were good. But felt the bolts flying accross the screen was distrating at times. Will be staring challange mode next. So my thought about the length could change.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Been playing Horizon and the open world is great and there is a lot of stuff to see and do.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Started Titanfall 2 as it's now free on EA Access. Only interested in the Singleplayer but it's quite fluid with a good balance between Pilot and Titan action. Enemies are well balanced and it's generally just good fun. Only playing on 'normal' difficulty and it's still a little challenging in places but otherwise a good quick paced game. Would definitely recommend.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Been playing No Mans Sky (PS4) to see for myself if the anger was justified - been impressed so far (maybe the latest updates help) but I have not been playing it for too long.

Recently completed The Witness (PS4) and all I can say is some of puzzles were great others, not so much. That challenge room seemed a bit out of place but I get why it is in the game. A solid puzzler.

OscarReimers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OscarReimers
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

I'm more on playing competitive game in PC but the last time I played PS4 which last month is the game Assassin Creed Syndicate. The games is such easy specially if you know how to level fast but one thing I like is the story plot in which the real enemy came out. Hoping to play the Assassins Creed Origin.

Planning also to buy the game Monster Hunter which is interesting and unique.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The game that has its sad and returning moments. Although Modern Warfare 2 is better in terms of storyline, this game is also good in its own right. Sadly, Soap died again in this game.

Ooopsss. Spoiler alert.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I'm playing a lot of Sonic Mania. I own it on the PS4 and Switch. It plays and feels best on the Switch. I love it so much. It's without a doubt in my top 2D Platformers of all time. Time will tell if it will receive my personal 1st place which was S3&K so far. Right now it certainly feels like it

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Played Star Wars Battlefront, not too impressed so far.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10437 Posts

just started finally playing gravity rush 2. it started off a bit slow - i'm really not a fan of overly prescriptive intros, i'd much rather the game just let me get on with it - but now i've got past the intro the game is starting to really gather pace. think i'm going to like this one.

before that it was dishonored 2, again. i love the feature that lets you replay the game with all the runes you collected in a previous playthrough. there's some amazing shit you can do when you start to combine some of the highest powers in various skill trees. i can't think of many games that lets you be so ridiculously creative, even though it's basically god mode it's so much fun dreaming up cool ways of combining powers and it just working

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Sonic Mania. Bringing back memories playing Sonic Advance many years ago.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

This year so far I played :

Final Fantasy XV : took around 80h doing everything, got the platinum

Horizon Zero Dawn : took around 80h too to do everything : probably my game of the year, got the platinum

Danganronpa : I played the PS4 version and it was super fun. Maybe 30h for both title.

Danganronpa Ultradespair gilrs : played it on Vita and maybe 20h or something. I'll probably try to get the platinum later.

The Nonary Games : played them on Vita and it was incredible. Maybe around 60h for both title and getting the platinum

Zero Escape Zero time Dilemma : Played it on Vita and it was also very incredible and so well made. Maybe 40h getting the platinum

Persona 5 : I play it on PS4 and I've sank around 90h and still haven't see the ending of the game. I'm doing it blind and I take my time but I think I'm doing quite well for a blind run.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

The Evil Within on PC. Gave it a chance on PS4 and it was a clunky mess on launch. Patches and 60fps are a godsend for this game and it plays amazing. Really enjoying it!

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Life Is Strange. I really like this game and it keeps me up at night because I really wanna see what happens at the end. Probably won't play anything else until I end up finishing it.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

Tomb Raider 2013 version. Since this was like a step up from the Uncharted Series, I thoroughly am enjoying the story campaign so far. It has a mixture of puzzle and parkour elements, and I felt a lot for the characters that passed away through it. So yeah, im a bit of an emotional gamer XD.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Binary Domain, a nice little third-person shooter that flew under the radar of most people. It has a very nice 80's action-movie kitsch to it that I enjoy, the gameplay is pretty solid, but unfortunately there seems to be some stability issues with Win 10.

*actually, scratch that, I finally got around to SimplePlanes, something I got with my Humble Bundle monthly sub. Pretty fun little plane building and flying game, not too complex...it's like a really stripped down version of Kerbal Space Program's version of building planes then you can fly them around. Very intuitive, it'd be good for a young child interested in engineering or something.

@gettingonwithgaminglife said:

Tomb Raider 2013 version. Since this was like a step up from the Uncharted Series, I thoroughly am enjoying the story campaign so far. It has a mixture of puzzle and parkour elements, and I felt a lot for the characters that passed away through it. So yeah, im a bit of an emotional gamer XD.

oooh lucky! I remember the first time I played the reboot, I was speechless a good chunk of the time. Quite the game, as you said an emotional experience. I got a thing for strong women/survivors, too; seeing Lara go from this "Oh no what do I do" researcher to this "OK, fine, you want me to be badass, fine, I'll be badass" was pretty neat, too.

Calling it a reboot is a disservice imo, it's more of a re-envisioning, reinvention.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Forza Motorsport 6, excellent game. I got back into it recently to get ready for the upcoming Forza 7. Trying to finish up getting some of the achievements that I want to get before moving on to the next game.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

Been getting my ass handed to me on Battlegrounds mainly

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Horizon zero down 45 hours and continue game of the year for me yakuza zero 35 hours and continue fantastic story and emotional game bouble bouble

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Played Super Mario World for a few seconds. Still fun. Gonna wait till I get an SNES Classic to give it a proper replay-through.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I am currently playing The Legend of Zelda on NES Classic..

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Playing through Witcher 2 again... still holds up so well. Terrific game, brilliant series.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Macutchi

i've dusted off mgsv for another blast. it really is an incredible stealth tour de force. the dynamic open world gameplay is utterly incredible at times and, crysis-like, its gameplay is further complemented by some utterly gorgeous graphics.

if the controls were that little bit tighter i.e. there was an actual "go in / out of cover button" instead of rubbing up alongside a piece of scenery and hoping you stick to it (sometimes you do, sometimes you don't), there was some consistency in what is and isn't climbable (sometimes you can climb up a thing, sometimes you can't) and there was a little bit more verticality i.e. the ability to climb up high on to roofs and tall vantage points, the game would quite possibly be the pinnacle of espionage stealth and really give chaos theory a run for its money. as it stands it falls a close second in my book, with pandora tomorrow at third.

it really has nailed that whole "scope out a base with the binoculars and carefully and methodically plan and execute your attack" shit down to an absolute tee

edit: oh and it also needs a dishonored style "put someone to sleep and hold a button down to immediately pick them up when they go unconscious" feature. that would work so well

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sam3231

@Macutchi said:

i've dusted off mgsv for another blast. it really is an incredible stealth tour de force. the dynamic open world gameplay is utterly incredible at times and, crysis-like, its gameplay is further complemented by some utterly gorgeous graphics.

if the controls were that little bit tighter i.e. there was an actual "go in / out of cover button" instead of rubbing up alongside a piece of scenery and hoping you stick to it (sometimes you do, sometimes you don't), there was some consistency in what is and isn't climbable (sometimes you can climb up a thing, sometimes you can't) and there was a little bit more verticality i.e. the ability to climb up high on to roofs and tall vantage points, the game would quite possibly be the pinnacle of espionage stealth and really give chaos theory a run for its money. as it stands it falls a close second in my book, with pandora tomorrow at third.

it really has nailed that whole "scope out a base with the binoculars and carefully and methodically plan and execute your attack" shit down to an absolute tee

right it is more of a stealth game than ever before. I am eventually going to come back to the game and try some missions in full subsistence mode, deploying without weapons etc.

A shame we are probably way far off a MGS 6. I would really like to see some sort of sequel in the same engine.

Guess we can't complain with the amount of content in MGSV though. I think I have roughly 140 hours in the game just replaying missions and roaming around.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Macutchi

@Sam3231 said:
@Macutchi said:

right it is more of a stealth game than ever before. I am eventually going to come back to the game and try some missions in full subsistence mode, deploying without weapons etc.

A shame we are probably way far off a MGS 6. I would really like to see some sort of sequel in the same engine.

Guess we can't complain with the amount of content in MGSV though. I think I have roughly 140 hours in the game just replaying missions and roaming around.

that's the great things about games with this kind of emergent gameplay - there's tons of replayability in the levels, because there's just so many ways to get stuff done.

it really reminds me of crysis. it has that open world, be-creative-and-use-whichever-play-style-works-for-you-at-that-particular-time feel to it. and its prettiness isn't just eye candy, it affects the gameplay like graphics did in crysis too. those draw distances are pretty f*ckin impressive for a base ps4 (try playing fallout 4 after mgsv and compare visuals / draw distance if you want a laugh) and they really help add to the open world effect when you're mooching through the afghan mountains scoping out distant stuff in your binoculars. and things like the night and day cycles and the changing of the guards and patrols in accordance really does force you to think quickly on your feet and not just rely on predictability and memorising patterns. it gives the game a nice touch of realism.

as you can probably tell i'm enjoying getting back into it lol

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sam3231

@Macutchi: Right on. It's a great game. I'm gonna get back into it too sometime.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#38 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

Just finished the Assassin's Creed 2 remaster. Still an amazing game.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Salt and Sanctuary on PS4. It's awesome but hard as nails.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RSM-HQ

A friend at the weekend got me to replay Hearthstone, seeing as other than Monster Hunter and Dark Souls he doesn't play anything else. So it's our social game at the moment you could say.

Personally don't care for it much, didn't when it originally released either. It's a game heavily focused on microtrasactions due to inconspicuousness balance in the cards, and I don't like to support a seemingly forced microtransaction business model.

And otherwise seems to be a streamlined clone of Magic the Gathering. Which in fairness I don't care for that card game either.

So my guess is Hearthstone is for Warcraft fans that considered Magic the Gathering but found it too complex.

thedelts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thedelts
Member since 2017 • 71 Posts

Rainbow Six: Siege

Despite it being a buggy mess of a game. The charm just keeps pulling me back. From rushing to kill or thought out and methodical approaches. Smeege is just a fun game to **** around in. Oh and the community is a toxic mess of love.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

My daughter just completed The Lost Legacy she loved it to bits.

DeonSpurlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeonSpurlin
Member since 2017 • 16 Posts

Sonic mania for now.. i'm looking for a good one.

DoomMarrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DoomMarrine
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

i tried playing some fps on ps4 but it's just too damn hard with a controller that's why i created topic on it , can anyone help ?!

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

I just achieved platinum on Diablo III UEE on the Ps4. Currently playing DOOM 4. Still about to learn about its controls as I am struggling it on the controller.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

@slaveknight09 said:

I just achieved platinum on Diablo III UEE on the Ps4. Currently playing DOOM 4. Still about to learn about its controls as I am struggling it on the controller.

I'm grinding this also! Got two achievements left to get. The Necromancer definitely breathed new life in to this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The last game that I played was No Mercy on the N64. It is still amazing and better than any modern wrestling game.

thedelts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thedelts
Member since 2017 • 71 Posts

Recently played Warframe if you can look past the grind, it's highly enjoyable if you play with people you know!

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Gears of War Ultimate Edition. Great game. But will say that Dom is a stupid AI. Seems like all he wanted to do was get himself killed repeatedly.