Students protest Call of Duty World at War's killing of dogs

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

:|

http://kotaku.com/5176785/students-protest-call-of-duty-dog-killing

Students at the Academy of Notre Dame in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, are up in arms over Activision's Call of Duty World at War for promoting the killing of deadly attack dogs. Breanna Lucci, the 19-year-old president of the private high school's Animal Rights Club started a petition against seeing her brother shooting at dogs in the game. So far more than 100 of Lucci's classmates have signed the petition, which she hopes to forward to Activision, who will do absolutely nothing about it.

"Killing dogs as a form of entertainment ... over and over again. That's one o the objects of the game," says Lucci, 19, a senior at NDA. "Parents need to know what they are buying their kids. Killing animals should not be a form of entertainment."

One of the objects in the game? I suppose she could mean objectives, and she'd still be wrong. Killing the dogs is but one aspect of a much larger objective: staying alive.

See, running down the street shooting dogs willy-nilly is bad. You don't pump them full of bullets for rolling over and wagging their tails. You give them hugs, and call them Mr. Snugglewuffkins, despite what their actual names might be. I think we can all get behind this idea.

Dogs trained to tear out your throat, on the other hand, you shoot. You shoot them quickly, and should they roll over on their backs and wag their little stumpy tails, you shoot them more, because that's a trap. They don't want belly rubs; they want to taste your innards.

Call me a monster or an extremist, but I think it's perfectly fine to teach our children to defend themselves from wild animals that want to eat them.

I think the best part of the original story is the lede:Breanna Lucci knows her two Pomeranians — Fluffy and Winnie the Pooh — would not last two seconds in "Call of Duty World at War," the immensely popular video game in which the animated gore piles high.

No, her two dogs wouldn't survive two seconds. They'd be ripped apart by the virtual dogs she is trying to defend, possibly because they're named "Fluffy" and "Winnie the Pooh".

Incidentally, I think the Germans would have been a lot less sinister had they deployed squads of attack Pomeranians. "Kleine Hunde angreifen!"

*sigh*...your thoughts.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
Is she mad about killing people in games...or just dogs? .....oh my....
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I love things like this... you don't hear anyone protesting Akira for the scene where the guy shoots those dogs, and I've yet to hear any issues about Rorschach killing dogs in Watchmen, but as soon as you are in control of it, it becomes a bad thing. I love how she says it is "one of the objectives in the game" as though there is a dog murder level or something.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ASK_Story

This is so funny! They're not real dogs. And even if they were real dogs, what would you do if those canines came after you to rip you apart! Stay there and hug them? They did use dogs in WWII you know. Do those students who are protesting know in WWII dogs were used as anti-tank weapons? They would strap explosives on their backs and train them to hunt for food under tanks. And then once they're under the tank they would explode.

And Resident Evil has zombie dogs!

I love dogs and animals because they're all God's creatures but these students are being ridiculous.It's just a game!

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASK_Story

Is she mad about killing people in games...or just dogs? .....oh my....ydnarrewop

Just dogs. In her eyes, brutally killing people by blowing off their limbs is okay.

It's funny how she says parents need to know what their kids are playing, but she's talking about dogs! She seems not to care about kids shooting and killing people, LOL!

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

This is so funny! They're not real dogs. And even if they were real dogs, what would you do if those canines came after you to rip you apart! Stay there and hug them? They did use dogs in WWII you know. Do those students who are protesting know in WWII dogs were used as anti-tank weapons? They would strap explosives on their backs and train them to hunt for food under tanks. And then once they're under the tank they would explode. And Resident Evil has zombie dogs! I loved dogs and animals because they're all God's creatures but these students are being ridiculous. It's just a game!ASK_Story

Tons of games have dogs as enemies. Human Killing Machine, some Final Fantasy's, Lufia II (in a weird way), I could go on.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Aren't humans animals too? Why aren't they protesting all the human killing?

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="ydnarrewop"]Is she mad about killing people in games...or just dogs? .....oh my....ASK_Story

Just dogs. In her eyes, brutally killing people by blowing off their limbs is okay.

It's funny how she says parents need to know what their kids are playing, but she's talking about dogs! She seems not to care about kids shooting and killing people, LOL!

Exactly the point I was going to make.
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
That person has never, ever, played World at War from what they are saying. It's not an objective, you don't go into a gamemode that tries to see who can kill the most dogs. No, you shoot them to stay alive. And no way ever will it make me want to go out and shoot dogs. Dogs are one of the more annoying things in the game, although they are fun when I get them.Dogs were used in WW2 so it is also being historically accurate. She needs to stop worrying about a video game and start focusing on things that KILL ACTUAL DOGS such as dogfights and kill shelters. SUCK IT UP
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#10 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

That's a stupid waste of time.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ASK_Story
That person has never, ever, played World at War from what they are saying. It's not an objective, you don't go into a gamemode that tries to see who can kill the most dogs. No, you shoot them to stay alive. And no way ever will it make me want to go out and shoot dogs. Dogs are one of the more annoying things in the game, although they are fun when I get them.Dogs were used in WW2 so it is also being historically accurate. She needs to stop worrying about a video game and start focusing on things that KILL ACTUAL DOGS such as dogfights and kill shelters. SUCK IT UP 0Tyler0
Apparently she saw her brother playing the game. But it really bothers me how she doesn't care about kids shooting and killing people in the game, but wants parents to stop letting their kids play because of killing some virtual dogs!
Troqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Troqe
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

Hey guys, I just played some Cod waw multiplayer, now I'm all fired up to go out and start killing some real life dogs with my MP40! FTW!

rh06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rh06
Member since 2004 • 473 Posts

I love things like this... you don't hear anyone protesting Akira for the scene where the guy shoots those dogs, and I've yet to hear any issues about Rorschach killing dogs in Watchmen, but as soon as you are in control of it, it becomes a bad thing. I love how she says it is "one of the objectives in the game" as though there is a dog murder level or something.

rragnaar

Hahaha a dog murder level, that's great. This is pretty stupid though.

zyXHavocXyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 zyXHavocXyz
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Wow, Breanna, you fail at life... Sorry, but if the best thing your little group of friends can come up with for an afternoon (and probably more) is to petition a company who isn't targetting you, and cares nothing about most of the people you get to sign a petition, you fail... plain and simple...

TheFragcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TheFragcat
Member since 2008 • 2466 Posts

I have no time for people like this.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Someone should let her play Carmageddon 2, and show her how you can earn piledriver bonuses by smashing dogs against walls and popping their heads off, or hitting a jump and squashing dogs underneath your car when you hit the ground again, or how they yelp pathetically just before their head launches into space.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#17 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Alright so I'll remember that if I see a deadly dog trying to kill me I'll just try to pet it and get it to not maul me to death I really can't attest to animal activism because often the supporters lack common sense.
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts

So I take it they're not aware of the dogs' intentions to rip my ****ing face off?

Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
She just cares about animals no the humans..Weird
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

So I take it they're not aware of the dogs' intentions to rip my ****ing face off?

Michael85
That doesn't matter. The welfare of the dogs is more important.
ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

This made me so MAD!!!! I think it is REALLY stupid how she doesn't acknowledge how we are killing more people in the game than dogs! That is just part of them game there are no parts where you have to set out and kill dogs just for fun and if you don't kill them then they kill you bringing down your stats etc. There is no way to avoid them...I have a dog of my own and I would NEVER even consider doing anything mean to him! I just got off COD5 and killed several dogs but never thought twice bout it because I wasn't just doing it for fun. Anyway I think this lady is funny lol...

bigfatcrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigfatcrap
Member since 2006 • 1919 Posts

Finally someone cares about the poor lines of code made to look like dogs! Too long have we taught our children that stopping an animal that very clearly wants to kill you is not only right but logical! I mean doesn't that sound horrible?

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
I'm going to put on a protest about all of these stupid protests. Will it stop any of them? No. Exactly.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Doesn't those students have exams to worry about at this point, I mean they must be just around the corner. Wouldn't that be more of a priority rather then some dogs made out of lines and textures?
SirTheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SirTheory
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts

The original article in the first post is absolutely brilliantly written. Kudos to whomever that was.

More on issue, I am all for protecting animals and such... but to petition about the dogs and not the humans is absolutely a riot and simply makes you look like you've got a head up your ***. Anyway, how old is this kid playing the game? And if he is so young you're worried about it... why the heck is he being allowed to play it? Games have M ratings for a reason...

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I bet this girl would love Dwarf Fortress. I feed my War Dogs a diet consisting of living goblins and elves. Good thing I make sure the food can't defend itself by throwing it down a tower beforehand. Those poor doggies could hurt themselves otherwise you know.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Hehe I hope this idiot makes it to the local news so we can see some free publicity for W@W thanks to BADASS dog killing videos. lol I didn't know you had to defend yourself from dogs in the game but that only makes these students slightly less moronic. Yeah let's ignore the countries that are ravaged by war and the countless people being killed and let's cry about the digital Woofies being killed....(yes I just called the dogs that dog that got killed by T-100 in T2) I hope these fools keep it. The news owes Call Of Duty a good free commercial.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gunswordfist

Hey guys, I just played some Cod waw multiplayer, now I'm all fired up to go out and start killing some real life dogs with my MP40! FTW!

Troqe
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! Make sure you count how many you kill to see if you can get the top score.
Someone should let her play Carmageddon 2, and show her how you can earn piledriver bonuses by smashing dogs against walls and popping their heads off, or hitting a jump and squashing dogs underneath your car when you hit the ground again, or how they yelp pathetically just before their head launches into space.DJ_Lae
*runs to go buy Carmageddon 2*
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I was just thinking about this recently: You've got all these people who for whatever reaons are so overcome with the evils in the world, they decide to go protest stuff. Now,of all the abuses on the planet: Human trafficking, ethnic cleansing, racial discrimination,destroying ourbiosphere,what do these people decide to protest? Cruelty to animals. Okay... Who the hell cares about animals? There's plenty of people problems to deal with. Get your own house in order before you go around trying to make the world a better place for dolphins or dogs or whatever.

See, these are the same sort of people who let the Rage virus loose by freeing "enslaved" chimps.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gunswordfist
All great points. If these whiners could all form an organization that actually does something that'll help people out then maybe the world would be a better place to live in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Some of these animal rights people need to shot like dogs.... Nazi Dogs.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gunswordfist
lol Too true.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
She should be thanking Activision! These virtual dogs would not even exist without them! I say we write a thank you letter to Activision for creating such nice virtual puppies, it's not Activisions fault that the player decides to kill the poor puppies, I didn't kill them when I played, I named one mr. Snuffles, and the other one fluffer. Fluffer is so cute when he's trying to rip out my trachea with his teeth.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I can see one of these protesters carrying around a sign: "101001101 virtual dogs killed, STOP THE MADNESS!"

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

:lol:

It's not like there is hundreds of games where you kill humans for entertainment over and over again.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gunswordfist

I can see one of these protesters carrying around a sign: "101001101 virtual dogs killed, STOP THE MADNESS!"

Palantas
lol You're right. Sarcasm has gone RAMPAGE on these boards! I think one of those Call Of Duty dogs bit me while I was shooting up those unworthy humans. Now I'm spreading the disease 'round here! *foams at mouth*
The_Sand_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Sand_Man
Member since 2008 • 6788 Posts

Some people.:roll: There area lot of games that involves killing vicious dogs, it's not that big of a deal.

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#38 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
Yet if some wild dog attacked her and was in the process of killing her, she would be begging for someone to kill it and save her. Basically, the woman quoted in the article is a blubbering moron, a mistake that never should have been born if not for humanities continuing efforts to stop natural selection.
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

I think people just want to get behind something. Have a "purpsose". Fight some fight "right a wrong"....Lord that is stupid. They are attacking you. Why would you not shoot them. :? Lets see take 3-5 shots to quickly kill it. Or let it ripe your throat open and bleed to death...

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I hate to generalize, but these days, if I meet an animal rights activist, I just kind of assume they are crazy by default.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

lol, this world is a strange place.

For a fun little social experiment, try walking around the mall or something and pose this question to every passerby: "Which is worse, running over a person or a dog?"

You'd be surprised by the answers. I just like asking everyone I meet now. Too many people go with the dog. What's the basis for the decision? "They're just an innocent animal, and you should be paying better attention. Theperson should know better than to walk in front of a moving vehicle." Who cares? A human is a human, and an animal is an animal.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I bet she wouldn't care if they were pet attack spiders. See how sacred life is to her when it's crawling down her shirt.

At 19 she should be more concerned with finally getting that high school diploma.

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I bet she wouldn't care if they were pet attack spiders. See how sacred life is to her when it's crawling down her shirt.Ish_basic

Yeah, since spiders are not furry and adorable, I doubt they'll ever get activists protesting in their favor.

At 19 she should be more concerned with finally getting that high school diploma.

:lol:

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Ah, so hilarious. There are just some people who want attention really badly.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ASK_Story

I bet she wouldn't care if they were pet attack spiders. See how sacred life is to her when it's crawling down her shirt.

Ish_basic

These are university students, which makes it worse because they should know better or have more important things to do with their life.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="Ish_basic"]

These are university students, which makes it worse because they should know better or have more important things to do with their life.

They SHOULD but then again they are American students. We have tons of morons here. lol
ish27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 ish27
Member since 2006 • 1003 Posts

Tell PETA it's a game and that they should just GTFO of normal people's lives :P

Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
I laugh at the people who take games way to seriously
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

[QUOTE="Ish_basic"]

ASK_Story

quoting your article:

Breanna Lucci, the 19-year-old president of the private high school's Animal Rights Club started a petition against seeing her brother shooting at dogs in the game.

I'd expect this kind of thing from university students.Therewas always some kind of anti/pro something rally going on at UMD, usually from the LA crowd who never have anything important to do besides anticipate Thriday.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

So I take it that she doesn't like Resident Evil 5 either? Next time I encounter a dog in RE5 where its head spits in two I will run up and give it hug instead of shooting its zombie guts out.