Sony's Pre E3 Event- Little Big Planet, R2, KZ2, PJ Eden

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Sony had a pre-E3 event yesterday where they showed off some more stuff. Here are the highlights.

Little Big Planet:

Walkthrough part 1

Walkthrough part 2

Walkthrough part 3

IGN hands on...

Folks representing the title started us journalists off at a simple selection screen where three planets float in front of a cardboard box that has a viewing hole cut out of the middle. It looks like a TV or a spaceship window. One planet is the cloth-like material the game is synonymous with and is called CraftEarth. This is where you'll jump into actual levels you've created or downloaded. MyMoon is where you'll be given the keys to the kingdom and allowed to create your own contraptions and worlds. InfoFridge was blank for our demo, but is made up of push pins and corkboard -- when the title goes live, this is where messages will be displayed as kind of a community gathering place.

Thing about this screen is that Sackboy -- or boys depending on how many players you have ready to go -- are just chilling in the box while you browse. When you're ready to move, they'll grab the massive representation of the PS3 controller and wiggle the joysticks for you.

Ours eventually wiggled to a level named Elephant Expedition. With a distinct India flavor, the core structure of the level was constructed out of a shaped, sand-colored facade that's reminiscent of ancient architecture. This is intermixed with tan sofa cushion-looking rectangles that act as platforms and traps. One of the long logs launched our Sackboy into the air, while similar rectangles shot in from the side and tried to crush him.

I played with three other folks, and the objective was to get through the level as quickly and efficiently as possible while collecting colored-orbs. Our total orb count was tracked in the center of pie chart in the left corner, while the pie part tracked how many orbs each of our team's Sackboys had collected. When we modified our characters looks -- tap square and have at it when it comes to eyes, teeth, moustaches, etc. -- the character's representation on the pie chart changed in real time.

Still, what I find most impressive about this title is how simple it is to control while maintaining an incredible depth. I ran through the level tapping X to jump and holding R1 to push and pull objects into position. That's it. Two buttons. With those two buttons, I was moving blocks to make stairs on one side of the level, leaping onto ledges to activate switches so that my team could move on, and even riding a mechanized elephant over some fire spots that would surely kill my Sackboy.

From there, our demo sent us to the moon to see what we could create and how. It started with the content I'm sure you're all familiar with -- you can put him in a dragon suit, you can give him a Cyclops eye, etc. -- but quickly moved to how these individual pieces end up interacting with each other. The game busted out an oh-so-cute skull that's suspended above the ground by this wooden spine. The lower part of the skull's jaw was on a set of ropes and would fall and rise over and over again. Our demoer whipped up a switch and placed it next to the skull, he then paused the action (which brings about this sick VCR tracking art at the top of the screen to let you know something's different) and connected the switch to the ropes via chains.

The action resumed without the skull's mouth moving. One Sackboy climbed onto the jaw, another threw the lever, and the character rose.

Equally as awesome as all of that was endowing your creations with elements. Every platforming level needs deathtraps, and creating them in LBP is easy. Our demo-giver created some sponge rectangles and then clicked his elements option. Fire, ice, electricity and more popped up, he chose electricity, he clicked the sponge and -- ZAP -- we had a way to kill our little buddy.

Seriously, I could talk all day about how amazing this game seems like it's going to be, but you won't know the joys of making your Sackboy hold his breath until he explodes, using the PlayStation Eye to make an in-game sticker, or any of the other cool stuff until the game's global launch in October. Until then, keep it on IGN for the latest news and preview.

IGN

Gamespot LittleBigPlanet Updated Hands On

Resistance 2:

IGN hands on.

As the game supports 60 players, letting everyone run around with no real goal other than to kill each other would quickly devolve the game into chaos. To counter this, Insomniac has instituted squads and a series of goals for each of them. You're automatically placed into a squad at the start of a game, and you'll quickly be given an objective. It might be to defend a certain point, for instance. The cool thing is that your squad will have a rival squad throughout the game, and said rival will always get the opposite goal as you. So, if you're defending a point, it'll be the other squad that's attacking it.

While that's cool, the system works well because of how objectives change mid-game to keep things fresh. So while you might need to attack or defend a point for a bit, you'll eventually be moved somewhere else, perhaps to help a troubled squad. Should your team have a hard time completing a goal or you find yourself being slaughtered by the other team, the game will assign another squad as back-up to your objective. That team will of course bring its rival squad with it, but the skirmish should be evened out a little more.

Another cool aspect to Resistance 2 that we were able to check out is its new rewards system. For every bullet that you land, or for every objective that your team completes, you're awarded some battle points. Once you have enough of these, you'll be rewarded with a small boost to your stats. This might be more health, quicker movement or perhaps even accuracy. It's a small boost, but it's enough to make a difference and keep you on a roll. While this sounds like it'll reward the best players and punish the worst, these bonuses only last until you die, and then you have to start over. Not only that, but once you've gotten an upgrade, a giant multiplier will appear above your head to let your opponents know that you're worth more points as a kill now. So while you may have slightly more health, everyone will be gunning for you.

Besides slight stat boosts, one cool thing that you'll earn is some sort of Berserker bonus (the name on that is pending). Right now your only available bonus is a shield that'll wrap around you as a half-bubble and make you pretty much invulnerable from enemy fire for a good 30 seconds or so. It's similar to the energy shield in Halo 3, except that this shield sticks with you and follows you wherever you go. Insomniac promises that this won't be the only bonus in the game, but it was all that we had to play within the demo build.

IGN

Killzone 2:

Video

IGN Preview

The first thing that struck us about this -- our second time actually playing the Guerrilla Games beast -- was how great this thing looked. When we took our first step as Sev, our assault rifle bobbed into view and reflected the sunlight filtering through the smoke-filled sky; when we turned the first corner, a trio of enemies eviscerated our scouts and blood leapt into the air. As we slid behind a concrete barricade during a gigantic firefight, we looked to the heavens and saw a solitary rocket streaking toward one of our airborne units.

Even that makes it sound like we're just talking about how good the big moments look, but there are little touches that make this world look lived in. There's rust on the containers littering the battlefield; when we sprayed some machine gun fire at a Helghast in hiding, the impact zones on the wall glowed orange before cooling to black; and there's the satisfaction of placing the small green dot of your assault rifle's scope on top of a foe and dropping him with one shot.

The level continued with us taking cover, popping Helghast, and using our bullets to ignite explosives -- oh, we tagged this propane tank and the escaping gas propelled it toward some enemies before it exploded -- and finally found the floodgate controls. On-screen prompts had us hold R1 and L1, Sev's hands grabbed the wheel controlling the gate, and then we used Sixaxis to crank the device open. Again from the first-person perspective, Sev's hands mimicked ours perfectly.

IGN

PixelJunk Eden:

Trailer

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rragnaar
Be sure to watch the Little Big Planet videos. They are incredible. I can't wait to build my own machines in this game.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
LittleBigPlanet is one of the reasons I'll be getting a PS3 over a 360.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rragnaar

Here is Kotaku's hands on impressions of PixelJunk Eden. It sounds incredible.

We just returned from SCEA's Pre-E3 Judge's Day, an event that gave us hands-on time with highly anticipated titles likeKillzone 2,Motorstorm: Pacific Rift,Resistance 2andLittleBigPlanet. So why am I writing aboutPixelJunk Edenfirst? Probably for the same reason that, at the end of the day, whileKillzone 2demo stations were available with no waiting, the wait to get hands on a DualShock to play morePixelJunk Edenwas a good 15 minutes. We're not trying to downplayKillzone 2, mind you, as it's a fine game. ButEden? I'm already having withdrawals.

The thing aboutPixelJunk Edenis that its appealing and addictive qualities might not come across well in screen shots ortrailers. Q-Games Dylan Cuthbert showed atrailerfor the previous build of Eden at GDC, likening it to "an organic Mario." It's accurate, in some sense, as the game is a platformer at heart, but one that oozes styIe and originality.

Here's how you playPixelJunk Eden.

The concept is simple. One to three players—weonlyplayed in a cooperative trio—will each control their "Grimp", a flea-like creature named with a portmanteau of "grip" and "jump." The goal is simply to build your garden. That will require each player to find a level's Spectras, analogous to a Star or Shine in a Mario game.

Grimps have a few ways of getting around each level, populated with plants, rocks, pollen and enemies. They can jump by double tapping X (or any face button) or launch them selves from a silken tether (tap X once) if launching themselves from a plant—they'll always grip to plants. That tether will keep the Grimp attached to the branch or stem it leaped from, allowing it to rotate around the centerpoint, picking up pollen or using it to fling the Grimp across open space.

The tether also acts as a sort of radar while the Grimp is rotating, with blips indicating where the next Spectra is located, a clever choice that keeps the game's HUD minimal.

Each level begins with a handful of stock plants and flowers that Grimps can climb upon or leap from. As you collect the pollen that floats about, you'll feed unpollinated seeds that will then sprout new growth when you touch them. The level design is more vertical than a traditional 2D platformer, with much of your progress upward. There's a danger to falling, of course, as landing on the ground will drain partially pollinated seeds, slowing your upward mobility.

When playing with a group, however, falling downward off-screen doesn't mean certain doom, as you'll respawn where the rest of your fellow Grimps are after a few seconds, if they're gripping a plant. This is where a good portion of the challenge—andPixelJunk Eden's addictive nature—lies. You'll work as a group to grab more pollen, to catch your teammates if they fall, to build pollen grabbing combos, to stay atop a level, even if the other two plummet downward. You'll take giant leaps of faith, tweaking your fall with the analog stick, delighting in perfectly targeted flying arcs.

Q-Games collaborated with Japanese artist and musicianBaiyonto give the game much of its visual and musical styIe It's said to feature over 100 minutes of original, electronic music from Baiyon, a soothing pulsing soundtrack that matches perfectly withEden's zen-like visual atmosphere. The game will most likely see comparison's to previous works likeRezfor its gorgeous visuals and throbbing soundtrack, despite the differences in styIe and energy.

PixelJunk Edenmay be hard to describe—and your first few minutes with it may be slightly unsettling—but it's equally hard to put down. Hopefully, Q-Games and SCEA will release a demo soon, so more people will get to experience it for themselves before its release this Summer.Kotaku

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Little Big looks sweet. I just hope they attach a well-made single-player element to the game and not expect the player to create everything.

Those R2 shots are kind of underwhelming, though. At first, I thought it was Haze due to the dude's helmet. It looks a lot like the first one in these pictures, which isn't bad, just sort of brown. I'm sure it'll be fun to play, though, and I hope the 60 person online matches are handled capably and don't throw all the finesse out of the game.

Killzone looks great as always.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rragnaar

Little Big looks sweet. I just hope they attach a well-made single-player element to the game and not expect the player to create everything.

Shame-usBlackley

I can't remember how many, but the game is shipping with several pre-done levels. The level in the first video is one of them. I seem to remember hearing there would be 50 levels in the game's single player campaign and that there will be a story of sorts, but I might be confusing the 50 levels part with echochrome.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

rragnaar

I can't remember how many, but the game is shipping with several pre-done levels. The level in the first video is one of them. I seem to remember hearing there would be 50 levels in the game's single player campaign and that there will be a story of sorts, but I might be confusing the 50 levels part with echochrome.

That's good to know. I'd like to see them include plenty of levels to get my brain fired up for some interesting designs. I expect LBP levels will be the first game that really ignites the new Youtube feature on the PS3. Instead of downloading people's levels, you can first check them out on Youtube, which will be a HUGE timesaver.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

That's good to know. I'd like to see them include plenty of levels to get my brain fired up for some interesting designs. I expect LBP levels will be the first game that really ignites the new Youtube feature on the PS3. Instead of downloading people's levels, you can first check them out on Youtube, which will be a HUGE timesaver.

I'd forgotten about that YouTube thing. That will be very nice with Little Big Planet. I wonder what they are planning on, because I think it would be incredible to be able to upload videos for any game you are playing. That is too ambitious though. If Sony is planning on doing that, we will hear about it at E3, and it won't be implemented until the PS4.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

LittleBigPlanet is one of the reasons I'll be getting a PS3 over a 360.famicommander

Buy both, and then you can access more games. :)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rragnaar

[QUOTE="famicommander"]LittleBigPlanet is one of the reasons I'll be getting a PS3 over a 360.Oilers99

Buy both, and then you can access more games. :)

Word. This is the only way to go if you have the money. I couldn't pass up on Fable 2, and too many other games.
Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts

Killzone 2 = a big meh from me. The others look fine - but all these delays....

MS have definitely got a more interesting year ahead for me. Maybe next year?

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
Its weird, I'm so blown away and excited by all the things you can do in Little Big Planet... but I can't see myself having fun actually playing the game. I'll probably end up making a ton of stages, but never play any of them.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar

Killzone 2 is easily the best looking console game right now, I cannot believe the stuff I see on screen. I am never really a graphics guy but screw it, basic FPS or not I need to experience that just for the cinematix aspect.

LBP is what is still on my brain though. I just hope the visions in my head can be created in game. I was thinking of a RE level in the mansion. It will have puzzles (level pulling and such) based on the puzzles in the game, but all mixed with traditional platforming elements. I hope there is a way to have it so you have to pull switches in a certain order to move pass a door or something, that way I can create puzzles where you need to figure out which switches to pull and the hints can be in the background images I paste there.

Also I wonder if there is an option to bunch user levels together, maybe a person wants to make his own mini game, not just one level but a bunch of them meant to be played in order.

dvader654

Great ideas man... I would imagine you'd be able to bunch levels together. I hope so anyway. You can do that in N+ and it is great.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

I want to be locked in a room with Little Big Planet.

Killzone 2 is easily the best looking console game right now, I cannot believe the stuff I see on screen. I am never really a graphics guy but screw it, basic FPS or not I need to experience that just for the cinematix aspect.

dvader654

What? I'm sorry, but have you seen the gameplay trailer for Gears of War 2? :P

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rragnaar

I want to be locked in a room with Little Big Planet.

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Dutch_Mix

What? I'm sorry, but have you seen the gameplay trailer for Gears of War 2? :P

No kidding... that Gears 2 video is absolutely incredible. I bet there will be some ugly Gears 2 vs Killzone 2 threads in System Wars before this is all said and done. It is funny that I'm more excited for Little Big Planet, Fable 2, Banjo 3, and some of those kinds of games than I am for the big guns like Gears 2, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. I think my tastes are starting to shift.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

LBP looks really amazing. Like I've said before, I am going to build levels I can play through with my wife and kids (which will require buying 2 more Dual Shocks, but oh well).

Resistance 2 looks very promising. I hope the campaign mode is first rate this time around and that the multiple difficulty levels are handled as intelligently as they were in R1. The fact that higher difficulty levels resulted in new enemies in new places really kept things interesting. My only reservation about R2 is that I suspect that the team based online play will be a little restrictive fo my tastes.

Killzone 2 looks amazing and based on how kickbutt Liberation was (in marked contrast to the garbage that was Nam 67 and KZ1) I am optimisitic that it will turn out to be a quality game.

I am having trouble getting my head around PJ Eden, but I love Monsters and the PJ games always offer demos so excitement might come down the line.

Motorstorm 2 sounds pretty cool (I haven't touched the original in about a month, but I am a big fan). I am really glad they are increasing the number of online racers to 16 (12 is the limit in MS1 since the developers fell three short of their original target of 15). It will be interesting to see how many of the tracks are well balanced and how many are skewed towards one vehicle class (in MS1 there were tracks like Mudpool and Rockhopper which tended to favor one class).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart

Gaming Age Online has posted pics and a gameplay summary (Sony press release) of Siren: Blood Curse. So long as the episodes aren't overpriced, it could be interesting, especially if the developers spaces things out enough to make adjustments based on feedback. The graphics look really great. Check out the 6th screenshot where a guy (based on other screens, a protagonist) is splattered by the blood of a monster he is beating to death.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=ps3&game=siren

Gaming Age also posted some pics and a gameplay summary of Elefunk. Deconstruction mode (a competitive game in which each player alternates taking pieces away from a structure hoping that the piece is non-critical) sounds really interesting though if this comes out in the same timeframe as LBP I wll skip it.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=ps3&game=elefunk

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts
I really like what I'm seeing with Resistance 2 and Killzone 2. If they nail this 60 player online thing with R2 then it should pretty awesome and I haven't played the other Killzone games so I don't know what to expect but they are taking a long time to develop this game so hopefully it really turns out.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

LittleBigPlanet is the reason I bought a PS3 and the only disappointing thing is that it's not out yet. Heck, I bought my PS3 last September since there was supposed to be a beta at the end of the year with a Q1 release!

It just strikes the right chord with me- it's simple enough to play when I just want to completely relax, but deep enough that if I really have a few hours to blow, I can get something really good out of it. I already have crazy level ideas swirling around in my head.

However, and I don't know what's going to happen as a result, I can kind of see a lot of the user-created levels to just be remakes of Mario/Sonic (maybe not quite as much)/other 2D platformers' levels. I'm sure they won't be 100% accurate...but pretty darn close.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
im not watching any of this crap! i dont want to spoil things. just make sure and post a GO GET THIS post when all this stuff is actually out. its about damned time the ps3 hits its stride. just wake me up when the party starts.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

LBP and Resistance 2 are looking really good....definitely on my list.

Killzone 2 looks just plain gorgeous though something I have to mention is that after watching a bunch of KZ2 videos on GT, there seems to be quite a number of explosive barrels and silly enemy AI..... hopefully the developers will make it right and fix that up. Also, I really want to know what those "happy accidents" are :D

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
LBP looks like it will be a realy fun game, this E3 should be a good one since each company has really got to step up the competition :D.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
LBP is officially my most anticipated game this year. I don't know, I just love the experimental character displayed by many recent Sony 1st and 2nd parties.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
LBP is going to be a certified GOTY candidate, and really has a chance to win, unless Spore comes out this year...Killzone graphically looks awesome, I don't know if I like the artstyle, I never thought I would see a game with more muted earth toned colors than Gears of War, I think R2 not only looks better but will be play the best.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rragnaar

Here is Brain Crecente's write up of his time making his own level in LBP. I know I said I was boycotting Kotaku, but that was last week.:P

Creating My Own Level in LittleBigPlanets

It's becoming almost a cliche to say how much fun and how cute LittleBigPlanet is. But each time I play the game I'm surprised to find that my already absurdly high expectations aren't just met, they're exceeded.

The game is fun, and it's cute, no, strike that, it's ****ing cute.

Last week I got a chance to sit down with Alex Evans, technical director for the game, and go to town with LittleBigPlanet's Create function.

We've all seen the sped up videos of someone whipping out custom levels for the game in less time than it takes to start most games up, but I wanted to know just how easy or hard it was for someone with no experience.

After quickly walking me through the basics of design, Evans set me loose in the world.

My first step was creating a rag doll. The rag doll is one of the few things in LittleBigPlanet that have any sort of limitations on them. The sorts of things you can select to decorate and animate the sackcloth figure is limited to what Media Molecule provides, but they provide a lot.

I, for instance, created a blood-red doll with devil horns, a devil tail, a stitch for an eye, a patch over the other, a pointed goatee, a shock of long hair and a puppet on his left hand. (Later I discovered that you can use the game's control to have your rag doll open and close the mouth of the puppet on his hand.)

Evans stuck to a simpler looking doll, but then placed a piece of cardboard on his head, like a mask, and used a PS3 camera to take a picture of my head, which he proceeded to stamp onto the piece of cardboard, so the doll had my smiling face.

Once we created our dolls we hopped over to "My Moon" which is essentially your PS3's harddrive, the place where all of the custom maps are stored and where you go to start with a blank slate.

Evans dropped a background down for me, one featuring a forest scene, and then I got to work. First I selected the material I wanted to work with, I selected sponge so the rag dolls could grab them. Then I choose to make it a circle. Initially I just dropped a circle of red sponge on the floor of the map, but then I used my controller to drag out a shape of sponge that sort of looked like a large oak tree.

Evans then dropped down sections of rock wall. Since physics effect everything in the game, you can't just float objects in the sky, ala Mario, but have to start with them embedded in the ground.. After Evans placed rock walls next to and over my tree in the shape of a giant upside down L, I created a second section of rock connected to his, holding down a PS3 button and painting the rock out with a thumbstick.

Next Evans used the same square shape he had been building with to cut out stairs in the rock. Removing chunks of things is as simple as pressing the X button.

Then Evans decided to show me how you can create moving objects, placing a spinning wheel of sponge on the rock. While he was talking I grabbed ahold of the spinning circle of sponge and then let go, sending my rag doll shooting straight up into the air. Evans was intrigued. "Let's create a vertical level," he said.

So we did, in about five minutes, copying the spinning sponge shape, we pasted more of them up the wall and then dropped down a starting line for a race at the base of my red tree and a finish line up top on a precipice of rock.

Next we through down some rock off to the right and turned it into ice. When touched, ice objects freeze your rag doll into a block of ice until you can break them free by vigorously shaking your controller. You can also set things on fire, touching these objects will turn your doll into a puff of ash; or electrify objects which also destroys your doll when touched.

While Evans was busy turning peripheral objects into ice, I decided to go ahead and set my pretty tree on fire. Now we had a level.

Saving the level we created Evans dropped out of the create mode and let us play it. The starting line includes a little countdown that starts once both dolls stand on it and a gate that pops open when it's time to start racing.

The level, it turns out, was painfully difficult, so difficult in fact that Evans was growing increasingly frustrated trying to get to the finish line. Nothing feels better than frustrating a game designer with your diabolic game design... nothing.

We ended up going way over the amount of time I really supposed to be on the game, as the two of us kept vying to make it up the rock construct without either falling on the flaming tree or getting shot into the ice blocks.

Finally I managed to reach the summit and the race was over.

Evans reminded me that while user-created and shared maps are a big part of the game, they're certainly not the only part. In fact, LittleBigPlanet is going to ship with it's own robust, story-driven campaign which can be played solo or with friends.

And the game continues to impress on the cute level too. I was able to catch a glimpse of the menu interface for the first time last week and it's just painfully adorable. You and your friend's rag dolls are hanging out in what appears to be a cardboard cut-out rocketship. The ships three windows will eventually, I suspect, all show options, but I only saw out one window.

The window neatly framed a hanging moon, the My Moon of your personal content; a felt-decorated Earth, the Craft Earth where other users creations will be shown by location; and a chunk of material currently called the info fridge where you can track your friends and news.

Neatest part? There's a Playstation 3 controller sitting in the rocketship with you and when you use your controller to move around between the menus your rag doll uses the almost-life size controller to do the same thing in real time.

It's this loving attention to detail that lets me know this game is going to continue to impress through launch and beyond.Kotaku

I like the idea of building a vertical level. My first instinct is to build a sidescroller, but it could be pretty sweet to go vertical.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Awesome stuff.rragnaar

This stuff is impressive, man. This game is going to exceed all expectations, let's hope it does extremely well sales-wise too.

I like the idea of building a vertical level. My first instinct is to build a sidescroller, but it could be pretty sweet to go vertical.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

Resistance 2 looks very promising. I hope the campaign mode is first rate this time around and that the multiple difficulty levels are handled as intelligently as they were in R1. The fact that higher difficulty levels resulted in new enemies in new places really kept things interesting. My only reservation about R2 is that I suspect that the team based online play will be a little restrictive fo my tastes.

CarnageHeart

You actually aren't restricted to squad-based instructions, you can go attack other squads and basically do whatever you want but you're handsomely rewarded for fulfilling the objectives the game lays out for your squad, people who stick with the squad tactics and help out each other when the game asks them to will rank up faster and be rewarded far more than your typical lone wolves, this is something I really like, it really makes playing with friends that much more rewarding than just jumping in and playing alone with a bunch of strangers.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

EvilTaru

You actually aren't restricted to squad-based instructions, you can go attack other squads and basically do whatever you want but you're handsomely rewarded for fulfilling the objectives the game lays out for your squad, people who stick with the squad tactics and help out each other when the game asks them to will rank up faster and be rewarded far more than your typical lone wolves, this is something I really like, it really makes playing with friends that much more rewarding than just jumping in and playing alone with a bunch of strangers.

Well, it will be interesting to see how it comes together. Maybe there will be a beta or something.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts
[QUOTE="EvilTaru"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Well, it will be interesting to see how it comes together. Maybe there will be a beta or something.

In the old days when people were playing 40 player obj like meltdown or breach, people were always calling for back-up and reinforcement, the well-coordinated teams always have that edge in that they communicate very well, and they knew exactly where to set up everyone in all the right positions. I think this is just something to facilitate more of that, the game helping to guide even the new players to where they need to go in order to help the entire team win instead of running around like a headless chicken all the time. Something had to be done about some people going lonewolf or just there to rack up the defense kills and not caring whether the team wins or not, and I hope this is the solution, I'm just not a fan of lonewolf players who are only playing for their own stats and do not care about the wins.

RFOM didn't have a public beta, I'm not sure if R2 will have one, I hope they do, but they're testing things out alot as we speak and hopefully things get ironed out, I think RFOM itself pretty much served to help with things like weapon balancing.

SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts

im not watching any of this crap! i dont want to spoil things. just make sure and post a GO GET THIS post when all this stuff is actually out. its about damned time the ps3 hits its stride. just wake me up when the party starts.OneWingedAngeI

Personally I'm glad the PS3 is taking its time.... gives me longer to save up for one! :P

Okay okay, all blatant selfishness aside, I don't know how much longer I can put off buying a PS3, there's a few things coming out that I just have to have, and Little Big Planet is one of them.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SteelAttack

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]im not watching any of this crap! i dont want to spoil things. just make sure and post a GO GET THIS post when all this stuff is actually out. its about damned time the ps3 hits its stride. just wake me up when the party starts.SophinaK

Personally I'm glad the PS3 is taking its time.... gives me longer to save up for one! :P

Okay okay, all blatant selfishness aside, I don't know how much longer I can put off buying a PS3, there's a few things coming out that I just have to have, and Little Big Planet is one of them.

Same here. This money haemorrhage has been postponed for much too long now, and I'm currently making the necessary arrangements to buy one (which will hopefully not involve monetary exchanges in return for human organs). The quality of titles scheduled for this year and the next (hopefully) is going to make this system essential for me.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar
[QUOTE="SophinaK"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]im not watching any of this crap! i dont want to spoil things. just make sure and post a GO GET THIS post when all this stuff is actually out. its about damned time the ps3 hits its stride. just wake me up when the party starts.SteelAttack

Same here. This money haemorrhage has been postponed for much too long now, and I'm currently making the necessary arrangements to buy one (which will hopefully not involve monetary exchanges in return for human organs). The quality of titles scheduled for this year and the next (hopefully) is going to make this system essential for me.

Oh come on SteelAttack. You are a doctor... you can surely steal a few organs. Who needs a hippocratic oath when you can play echochrome and Little Big Planet?
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SteelAttack

Oh come on SteelAttack. You are a doctor... you can surely steal a few organs. Who needs a hippocratic oath when you can play echochrome and Little Big Planet?rragnaar

Photobucket

I'm pretty sure we can reach an arrangement, Mr. Rragnaar. You don't need two kidneys, after all...

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Oh come on SteelAttack. You are a doctor... you can surely steal a few organs. Who needs a hippocratic oath when you can play echochrome and Little Big Planet?SteelAttack

Photobucket

I'm pretty sure we can reach an arrangement, Mr. Rragnaar. You don't need two kidneys, after all...

:lol:... I'll give you my appendix and some finger nail clippings.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SteelAttack

:lol:... I'll give you my appendix and some finger nail clippings.rragnaar

That'll only be useful to net me a 40 gigger. You'll have to step it up if I'm going to get the MGS bundle. Perhaps throwing a cornea or half a scrotum in there?

Resistance 2 looks to be made of win. I know everyone said so already, but it's worth mentioning again.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]:lol:... I'll give you my appendix and some finger nail clippings.SteelAttack

That'll only be useful to net me a 40 gigger. You'll have to step it up if I'm going to get the MGS bundle. Perhaps throwing a cornea or half a scrotum in there?

Resistance 2 looks to be made of win. I know everyone said so already, but it's worth mentioning again.

I ran out of clever things to say about donated body parts, but I'll keep my scrotum thank you very much. The more I read about the 60 player MP, the more I get excited for it. It should be some crazy stuff. I want to see something from the single player campaign though.