Sonic vs. Mario

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

Super Mario Bros 3 is the best game Iv ever played but Ive never liked 3D Marios. I agree with that guy saying SM64 is a chore. Not because of technology at the time or scores but the gameplay is just annoying. To replay each stage with a different task is boring imo. I reviewed it in detail if anyone wants to read it. Sunshine the same. Galaxy was better. What I played of it.

Not gonna hide I absolutely love Sonic but I really do think his 3D games are better. They at least stay true to the basic formula (Sonic levels anyway). Have never had camera issues. Worst...Black Knight and Heroes. '06 was meh. I did not have all those problems people say. I beat it.

I was kinda disappointed with Generations. Could have done so much more with the anniversary. Alone it was good and the Time concept was nice but it was too little based on 20+ years of material.

I just wish 3D Mario was more like 2D...but in 3D. Exploring a big mushroom kingdom working our way to the end of levels. Not objectives.

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
Make games? Anyway I like Sonic way better than Mario....
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Mario is always good. There are more bad sonic games than good ones. I want to finish Galaxy just so I can go through Sunshine agai.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#54 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Sonic all the way!

I've always preferred Sonic games over Mario games.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

if we are only talking about the 2D ones then I prefer Mario but when it comes to 3D (hard ro believe I know)  I actually prefer Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 over the 3D Mario games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"]There are more bad sonic games than good ones. [\QUOTE] nope. Have you forgotten the Rush series?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Heirren"]There are more bad sonic games than good ones.

nope. Have you forgotten the Rush series?

There's so many bad sonic games I can't even name them all.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Heirren"]There are more bad sonic games than good ones. Heirren
nope. Have you forgotten the Rush series?

I'm sure you could

and I'm certain the good sonic games still outnumber the bad ones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="rilpas"] nope. Have you forgotten the Rush series?rilpas

I'm sure you could

There's no way. The best Sonic games are Sonic, Sonic2, SonicCD, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic Adventure IMO. I'd place the first two on another level though. It probably sounds like I dislike Sega and Sonic, but I don't. Sonic was one of my favorites--read the comics and watched the cartoon growing up. I'm just not blinded by fanboyism. The DS outings are all lousy. The one for wii is decent. People seem to mistake the character for the way the games are designed. The real character of those early games is in the game designers, not the character itself, at least IMO.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] There's so many bad sonic games I can't even name them all.Heirren

I'm sure you could

There's no way. The best Sonic games are Sonic, Sonic2, SonicCD, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic Adventure IMO. I'd place the first two on another level though. It probably sounds like I dislike Sega and Sonic, but I don't. Sonic was one of my favorites--read the comics and watched the cartoon growing up. I'm just not blinded by fanboyism. The DS outings are all lousy. The one for wii is decent. People seem to mistake the character for the way the games are designed. The real character of those early games is in the game designers, not the character itself, at least IMO.

I'm not questioning that, I'm just saying that there are many great sonic games out there, like sonic chaos, tripple trouble, Sonich advance 1, 2 and 3.

the 2D Sonic game for the DS was pretty good as well

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#61 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]There are more bad sonic games than good ones. [\QUOTE] nope. Have you forgotten the Rush series?rilpas

The one where they have songs in every level? ugh.

Anyway, Mario has isues getting away with decent games let a lone bad games, people usually just throw a bad rating on them, Sonic gets away with bad games ever 10 seconds, and no matter how badly its panned, or how often the word of mouth spreads it still sells like gold.

Maybe the fans actually do like them trying something different all the time, but just like to complain anyway?

As for which is better, Sonic spin-off games are always better than Mario spin-off games other than party since Sonic does not have a party game, and strategy, since SOnic does not have a strategy game. All other spin-off categories have Sonic on top.

As for main series games, I believe this generation onic beat Mario Sonic 06 and all. This is mostly because I find both series incredibly lacking and I had to flip a coin to choose. But to be honest, Sonic Unleashed, the full versions that is, and Sonic generations, along with a couple sin-offs and the PSP games where more enjoyable than mario.

Other wise it was always Mario, well, ok, Sonic CD.

Now if you want to talk about platformers that are actually good and not given slaps on the wrists for various quality issues because of the companies that own them......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

I'm sure you could

rilpas

I'm not questioning that, I'm just saying that there are many great sonic games out there, like sonic chaos, tripple trouble, Sonich advance 1, 2 and 3.

the 2D Sonic game for the DS was pretty good as well

The game gear, gba, DS, etc were no where near the first few genesis titles. IMO most of them were bad, or average at best. It was as if the sonic character was being pasted on any random generic game.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rilpas
mmm.. fair enough
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Sonic went downhill when he jumped into 3D.

The old 2D Sonics are classics of the genre and, in some aspects, better than the 2D Mario games (altho overall the old Mario games are still the better, higher-quality games), but the 3D games are just a mediocre bunch.

Sonic didn't survive the jump into 3D nearly as well as Mario did and I find it would be better if it stayed a 2D or 2.5D side-scroller with fast gameplay.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Super Mario Bros 3 is the best game Iv ever played but Ive never liked 3D Marios. I agree with that guy saying SM64 is a chore. Not because of technology at the time or scores but the gameplay is just annoying. To replay each stage with a different task is boring imo. I reviewed it in detail if anyone wants to read it. Sunshine the same. Galaxy was better. What I played of it.

Not gonna hide I absolutely love Sonic but I really do think his 3D games are better. They at least stay true to the basic formula (Sonic levels anyway). Have never had camera issues. Worst...Black Knight and Heroes. '06 was meh. I did not have all those problems people say. I beat it.

I was kinda disappointed with Generations. Could have done so much more with the anniversary. Alone it was good and the Time concept was nice but it was too little based on 20+ years of material.

I just wish 3D Mario was more like 2D...but in 3D. Exploring a big mushroom kingdom working our way to the end of levels. Not objectives.

wildcat2000
If you ever get a 3DS make sure to play Super Mario 3D Land, that's exactly what you're looking for. It's like Mario mixed with Crash.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

If you ever get a 3DS make sure to play Super Mario 3D Land, that's exactly what you're looking for. It's like Mario mixed with Crash.Eikichi-Onizuka
I dont have a 3DS yet and that game looks great, just like something Id play but its more 2D gameplay with 3D visuals. Like the Klonoa games (which I really enjoyed).

What meant and what I want is a 3D Mario game thats something like the old Spyros. Big wide open levels where you make your way to the end, obviously collecting or activating stuff along the way, where you only have to replay levels because something unlocked that was previously unavailable or you missed something. It still keeps the linearity of classic Mario but in actual 3D worlds.

SM64/Sunshine were just levels built out of objectives...and that was pretty much it. They existed only to hold each task together. Like one big playing field with everything crammed into it. They weren't traditional levels. Hope that makes sense.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I liked old school Sonic games a little bit more than old school Mario ones, but there's a level of hugeness to games like Mario 3 and Super Mario World that Sonic never got. The closest we ever came and still kept the gameplay up to snuff with Mario titles with locking in Sonic 3 to Sonic & Knuckles.  But even then, I don't think S&K is crap but to me it was the first Sonic game that was worse than the one before it.

At the end of the day I go with Mario though. Sonic never had good weirdo gameplay installments (compared to what came before and after) like Mario 2 and Super Mario World 2 and while Mario continued to shine post 16-bit, Sonic kinda went to s*it.

SerenityBeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 SerenityBeee
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

I prefer Mario. He had a better transition to 3D than Sonic and has had a good track record in quality games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jag85

The old 2D Sonics are classics of the genre and, in some aspects, better than the 2D Mario games (altho overall the old Mario games are still the better, higher-quality games), but the 3D games are just a mediocre bunch.

Sonic didn't survive the jump into 3D nearly as well as Mario did and I find it would be better if it stayed a 2D or 2.5D side-scroller with fast gameplay.

nameless12345
Actually, Sonic made a very successful jump into 3D with the Sonic Adventure games in the Dreamcast era. It was only in the post-Dreamcast era that it declined, before making a comeback with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Sonic has probably about 3 games that are actually even good at this point. Where as mario has countless classics

Yet there is about 10 times as much fan art and love for Sonic than there is for Mario. Sonics character design is infinitely better than mario and hes more appealing as a character in every way. He was created as the Anti Mario, and he was a perfect design. Too bad his games really were never all that good, besides a few exceptions

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Jag85

Actually, Sonic made a very successful jump into 3D with the Sonic Adventure games in the Dreamcast era. It was only in the post-Dreamcast era that it declined, before making a comeback with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.

Well, that's your opinion.

I've played SA (DX version) and I have to say it's not often that I get to play so buggy and badly controlling games.

But that was just my experience with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I've played SA (DX version) and I have to say it's not often that I get to play so buggy and badly controlling games.

I like Sonic Adventure but it certainly has control issues.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#73 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

nameless12345

The problem is with DX is that it's a FLAWED port. I'd know, I played the PC version.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#74 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Actually, Sonic made a very successful jump into 3D with the Sonic Adventure games in the Dreamcast era. It was only in the post-Dreamcast era that it declined, before making a comeback with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.nintendoboy16

The problem is with DX is that it's a FLAWED port. I'd know, I played the PC version.

This^
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I prefer Mario on videogames and Sonic on cartoons.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jag85

nameless12345

Not just my opinion, but the opinion of most critics and fans alike at the time.

The first Sonic Adventure was good (maybe not the DX version though), but Sonic Adventure 2 was just downright awesome! (Or at least the Sonic stages were.)

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Jag85

I may not have played ans still have not played many 3D sonic games, but I don't know what fans mean when they say the series declined.

Looking at graphs, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the DC both sold around 2 million.

Sonic Heroes (keep in mind I am using wikipedia for the series release order) sold 4

Sonic the hedgehog sold 2.5

Sonic Unlesahed Sold 4.5

Colors sold 1.4

Generations sold around 2.

So a question to any Sonic fans on this board, I know your there somewhere, why are you buying the "BAD" games and not buying the "GOOD" games and keep crying about Sega and green eyes?

And the worst part is the best selling Sonic game is Sonic and Mario and the olympic games :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="wildcat2000"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

If you ever get a 3DS make sure to play Super Mario 3D Land, that's exactly what you're looking for. It's like Mario mixed with Crash.

There is no trace of Crash like gameplay anywhere in 3D Land.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#79 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

The thing is when your playing most 3D Sonic games most of the time your just pushing Up to go forward whereas Mario has a huge 3D enviroment to explore. The Sonic series mainly built it's reputation with speed and the thing is it can be very hard to show in the 3D world.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Eddie-Murphy48

The thing is when your playing most 3D Sonic games most of the time your just pushing Up to go forward whereas Mario has a huge 3D enviroment to explore. The Sonic series mainly built it's reputation with speed and the thing is it can be very hard to show in the 3D world.

chocolate1325

Have you played a 3D sonic game Mario avatar fan?

At the end of the day, both Mario and Sonic fanboys aside, are C class platformers with fans that will excuse flaws and then pin other games for having the same flaws or less so.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#81 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It's funny (and a little adorable) how Eddie-Murphy48 is deluded into thinking he's some kind of credible critic.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GreySeal9

I prefer Mario on videogames and Sonic on cartoons.

tjricardo089

Mario has cartoons?

XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 XereoWarrior
Member since 2012 • 135 Posts
Sonic is the cooler character. He's a blue hedgehog that can go Super Saiyan. Mario has the better games though.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GreySeal9

Sonic is the cooler character. He's a blue hedgehog that can go Super Saiyan. Mario has the better games though.XereoWarrior

lol, although I think Sonic's personality is corny, you have a point there. :lol:

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Eddie-Murphy48

It's funny (and a little adorable) how Eddie-Murphy48 is deluded into thinking he's some kind of credible critic.

GreySeal9

Journalist and Business degree with a PHD? Sounds credible to me.:)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Eddie-Murphy48

Riiiiiiiight...

That sounds totally legit.

/sarcasm

Shouldn't your writing be more coherent if you're a journalist? :?

Also, I doubt you have any degrees of any kind, but what does a business degree have to with critiquing games? :?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#87 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Eddie-Murphy48

That's hardly a factor in credibility. I mean, most reviewers out there are journalists, and you can see how "credible" most are.
Sonic is the cooler character. He's a blue hedgehog that can go Super Saiyan.XereoWarrior
^This
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 chocolate1325

The thing is even though Mario has spin offs they still maintain a pretty respectable standard. Mario Kart, Tennis,Golf,Mario RPG,

If you look at Sonic games through genre you have: Sonic Riders sucks,Sonic RPG didn't do it for me,Sonic Shuffle a disaster and don't bring the SEGA All Stars games into it if you do then we might as well throw in the Smash Bros games since most of the characters in it are Mario related.

While the handheld games have been good Advanced and Rush games people mainly focus on the console games. Mario Galaxy blows any Sonic 3D game away.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
As a character: Sonic older games: toss up newer games: Mario, by far multimedia (tv shows, comics, etc): Sonic
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#90 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Dude, have you even played Sonic Colors or Sonic Generations? Aside from Galaxy 2, nothing in recent memory for Mario has been as high quality as the franchise used to be, really. It's back to being a tossup, really. I will admit if we look at the games that aren't great that came out in 2012 (NSMB2 and Sonic 4: Episode II, both not great but still alright games), Mario is arguably better there. (I had a blast playing online co-op for 4: Episode II, though, but the one-player mode is infuriating and stupid sometimes. I'll stop there before going too far.
tehMoerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 tehMoerz
Member since 2012 • 54 Posts
Being the Sega fanboy I am, teh blue blur. (SA,SA2 were awesome)
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I always preferred the Sonic Games. Still do.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Jag85

While the handheld games have been good Advanced and Rush games people mainly focus on the console games. Mario Galaxy blows any Sonic 3D game away.

chocolate1325
I prefer Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Generations over Mario Galaxy.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Sonic on the cartoons and Mario on the videogames.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 chocolate1325

Best Mario Game: Super Mario World

Best Sonic Game: Sonic 2

Overall Best Game Super Mario World

Just my opinion but come on I'd rather have Luigi or Yoshi over Tails and Knuckles any day.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I much prefer Sonic over mario, sonic 2 was simply amazing back in the day and is still highly playable even today.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Jag85

Just my opinion but come on I'd rather have Luigi or Yoshi over Tails and Knuckles any day.

chocolate1325
I prefer Sonic 2 over Super Mario World. In fact, I still play Sonic 2 to this day.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 chocolate1325

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]

Jag85

I prefer Sonic 2 over Super Mario World. In fact, I still play Sonic 2 to this day.

Okay then both of these games are about 10 out of 10 for me and Sonic and Mario are my 2 favorite videogame characters in the world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

GreySeal9
Yeah I've been saying that a frequent Legacy visitor should be a mod.
CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 CursedChamp
Member since 2013 • 485 Posts
I have always enjoyed Mario more than Sonic. Sonic grew old quickly for me.