Some very underrated games.

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

I think MegaMan X6, Shadow the Hedgehog and Ultimate Spider-Man are underrated.

X6 wasn't by any stretch amazing, but it is a good game.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad SONIC game, but a good GAME period.

Ultimate Spider-Man, the Ultimate Spider-Man game. It didn't get that much attention, despite selling around 2 million copies, the game also ended on such a cliffhanger, make a sequel to this game, instead of Call of Duty, Treyarch....

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I agree on Shadow the Hedgehog. It's a really good game in my opinion. Other underrated games in my opinion are Happy Feet (PS2) and Spiderman 3 (PS2).
Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
I agree on Shadow the Hedgehog.Spinnerweb
there's a bit of truth inside its underratedness,this game represents the first step of Sega's mistake on hiring 4Kids,they regret with 4Kids sans Eggman's actor
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Even though it was not hammered by critics, I think Mario Sunshine is one of the best games of the last 15 years. It's also the best of a genre that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Even though it was not hammered by critics, I think Mario Sunshine is one of the best games of the last 15 years. It's also the best of a genre that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.Heirren
The blue coins ruined the game for me, other than that it's still an amazing game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Heirren"]Even though it was not hammered by critics, I think Mario Sunshine is one of the best games of the last 15 years. It's also the best of a genre that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.YoshiYogurt
The blue coins ruined the game for me, other than that it's still an amazing game.

Do you mind if I ask why? They ruined the whole game? Weren't they an incentive for exploration? Personally I miss the openness of the game. galaxy is phenomenal, but there are aspects of Sunshine that are better. For one, I think the dive move added immensely to the amount of control the player had over Mario.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Yeah Ulimate Spider-Man is amazing. Best Spider-Man game by FAR. The combat was perfect, the exploration was loads of fun, and the cutscenes were funny and interesting.

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Even though it was not hammered by critics, I think Mario Sunshine is one of the best games of the last 15 years. It's also the best of a genre that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.YoshiYogurt

You can complete the game without getting the blue coins though. All you'd be missing out on is a picture. So I don't see how they could ruin the "whole game." 

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#8 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

FirePower 2000 and Radiata Stories

mysteriousFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mysteriousFace
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
God Hand. I agree with Ultimate Spiderman, I had a lot of fun playing it.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Cold Fear. It came out around the same time as Resident Evil 4 and had a similar over the shoulder horror shooter thing going on. Quality soldiering (and it looked amazing too). Also, for some reason I cannot fathom it had "Use Your Fist And Not Your Mouth" by Marilyn Manson playing over the end credits. God knows what that was doing in there.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Cold Fear. It came out around the same time as Resident Evil 4 and had a similar over the shoulder horror shooter thing going on. Quality soldiering (and it looked amazing too). Also, for some reason I cannot fathom it had "Use Your Fist And Not Your Mouth" by Marilyn Manson playing over the end credits. God knows what that was doing in there.

Business_Fun

Thanks for bringing up Cold Fear, I had almost completely forgot about that game.  It was sort of one of those 'I walk by everytime by never get' type of games.  

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

Definately Shadow. I had some great fun on that game, but all of my friends hated it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#13 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
Even though it was not hammered by critics, I think Mario Sunshine is one of the best games of the last 15 years. It's also the best of a genre that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.Heirren
I agree 100%, fantastic game
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

I think MegaMan X6, Shadow the Hedgehog and Ultimate Spider-Man are underrated.

X6 wasn't by any stretch amazing, but it is a good game.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad SONIC game, but a good GAME period.

Ultimate Spider-Man didn't get that much attention, despite selling around 2 million copies, the game also ended on such a cliffhanger, make a sequel to this game, instead of Call of Duty, Treyarch....

XxOskarxXTBXx51
Lol.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Someone mentioned Mario Sunshine, and I'd have to agree. I enjoyed it more than Super Mario 64. As far as games I think are underrated, while not exactly "Legacy", I would have to mention Ninja Blade. It was a decent alternative to Ninja Gaiden Black / Ninja Gaiden II, though more forgiving, and I also didn't mind the quick-time events. Another 'non-legacy' game along similar lines to Cold Fear - due to the 'over the shoulder' 3rd person camera, would be Dark Sector. Dark Sector had a unique main weapon a few years before id Software put the "wingsticks" in RAGE.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

That's surprising to read from you. ;)

I thought SMS was a step down from SM64 in pretty much everything but graphics and camera.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Heirren"]Even though it was not hammered by critics, I think Mario Sunshine is one of the best games of the last 15 years. It's also the best of a genre that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.Heirren

Do you mind if I ask why? They ruined the whole game? Weren't they an incentive for exploration? Personally I miss the openness of the game. galaxy is phenomenal, but there are aspects of Sunshine that are better. For one, I think the dive move added immensely to the amount of control the player had over Mario.

100% agree.  If it wasn't for the repetitive theme of Sunshine, it may be my favorite.  I never beat it for some reason, which I think must be because i find the environments to get boring after a while.  Mario 64 remains my favorite.

Timesplitters and Baten kaitos are both very underrated (though have a strong but small group of fans).

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Phantom 2040 on Genesis/MD and SNES. It's like a cross between Metroidvania and Megaman.
Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts
Phantom 2040 on Genesis/MD and SNES. It's like a cross between Metroidvania and Megaman.thebest31406
I've seen that game around, but never really paid attention to it or even considered trying it out. it's one of those games like "Cold Fear" mentioned above, where you see it everywhere, but you just bypass it time after time. Thanks for pointing out this game. Just checked out some video on this game, definitely going to pick it up. Cheers!
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] The blue coins ruined the game for me, other than that it's still an amazing game.NaveedLife

100% agree.  If it wasn't for the repetitive theme of Sunshine, it may be my favorite.  I never beat it for some reason, which I think must be because i find the environments to get boring after a while.  Mario 64 remains my favorite.

Timesplitters and Baten kaitos are both very underrated (though have a strong but small group of fans).

Give it another chance.

...Mario 64 is still my favorite, btw.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Tobal No. 1 (PS)

Elebits (Wii)

Ourun 2 (XBOX)

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

Funny you bring that up because I just finished the game again today and it still ranks as one of my favorite platformers ever lol. I hated controlling that stupid boat in that volcano though, made me rage so hard and the flooding of the entire city was so awesome. I also played and beat it not too long after it first came out so I do kinda have a soft spot for the game, so yea, I agree it's underrated.

As for the OP, I would say Majoras Mask which I think is easily the best Zelda game and is basically better than it's predecessor, OOT in just about every way imaginable. Better story, more memorable characters, better sidequests, very high replaybility. I think it was overshadowed by OOT since it came out first and set the bar pretty high and I personally felt that Majoras Mask reached that bar and surpassed it.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts
Tales of Symphoina and Baiten Kaitos (Both for GameCube) are two of the best RPGs I've played, and in my opinion the two most underrated games of all time.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife

Tales of Symphoina and Baiten Kaitos (Both for GameCube) are two of the best RPGs I've played, and in my opinion the two most underrated games of all time. insanegame377

Completely agree, though I think ToS got a decent amount of love.  Baten Kaitos somehow sold like garbage and didn't get the scores I thought it deserved (especially BK Origins).

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Someone mentioned Mario Sunshine, and I'd have to agree. I enjoyed it more than Super Mario 64. As far as games I think are underrated, while not exactly "Legacy", I would have to mention Ninja Blade. It was a decent alternative to Ninja Gaiden Black / Ninja Gaiden II, though more forgiving, and I also didn't mind the quick-time events. Another 'non-legacy' game along similar lines to Cold Fear - due to the 'over the shoulder' 3rd person camera, would be Dark Sector. Dark Sector had a unique main weapon a few years before id Software put the "wingsticks" in RAGE. Stinger78

Loved Dark Sector. Flicking off limbs and heads from afar never got old.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts
God Hand. I agree with Ultimate Spiderman, I had a lot of fun playing it.mysteriousFace
Agreed and agreed.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thebest31406
[QUOTE="thebest31406"]Phantom 2040 on Genesis/MD and SNES. It's like a cross between Metroidvania and Megaman.JannettyTRocker
I've seen that game around, but never really paid attention to it or even considered trying it out. it's one of those games like "Cold Fear" mentioned above, where you see it everywhere, but you just bypass it time after time. Thanks for pointing out this game. Just checked out some video on this game, definitely going to pick it up. Cheers!

It's all good, man. It's pretty cheap too considering how good decent. I prefer the Gens version over SNES as it sound better imo.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

N64

• Glover
  • Shadowman (and DC though less notable)
  • Rocket: Robot on Wheels
  • Wetrix
  • Duck Dodgers
  • Mystical Ninja 64
  • Goemon's Great Adventure
  • Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
  • Wipeout 64
  • Body Harvest

GameCube

• Billy Hatcher
  • Lost Kingdoms 2
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

XBox

• Mad Dash Racing
  • Voodoo Vince
  • Deus Ex: Invisible War
  • Strangers Wrath
  • Midtown Madness 3
  • Metal Arms (also GC)

Saturn

• Exhumed
  • Virtual On

Dreamcast

• Ooga Booga
  • Chu Chu Rocket
  • Toy Commander
  • Fur Fighters
  • Confidential Mission
  • Super Magnetic Neo
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Cool Cool Toon
  • Cosmic Smash
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • MDK 2
  • Samba De Amigo
  • Silver
  • Border Down
  • Mars Matrix
  • Rival Schools 2
  • Wacky Races
  • Headhunter

---------------------------------------

Mario Sunshine would easily go in my top 10 most overrated games of its generation, its an 8/10

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Agreed with Ultimate Spider-Man and Super Mario Sunshine.

Tobal No. 1 (PS)

Shenmue_Jehuty

That was a fun game, I really wish the sequel was released here.

XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XxOskarxXTBXx51

Sonic Advance 1 was underrated, 2 and 3 were just constant speed boosters and rails and loops and no platforming or exploration.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
There was an old PC game that came out in 1998 called Hype: The Time Quest. It's pretty much unremembered, but it was pretty good.
I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts
The most underrated game ever has to be CALL OF DUTY!! This game gets so much hate it annoys me when everyone knows it changed the gaming world forever!! And for the best!!
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XxOskarxXTBXx51
The most underrated game ever has to be CALL OF DUTY!! This game gets so much hate it annoys me when everyone knows it changed the gaming world forever!! And for the best!!I-AM-N00B
Luckily, sarcasm conveys over the internet to me.
insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts
The most underrated game ever has to be CALL OF DUTY!! This game gets so much hate it annoys me when everyone knows it changed the gaming world forever!! And for the best!!I-AM-N00B
Please tell me this is a joke.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

There was an old PC game that came out in 1998 called Hype: The Time Quest. It's pretty much unremembered, but it was pretty good.PannicAtack

Also came out on PS2 in 2002. I haven't played it yet. :D

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]There was an old PC game that came out in 1998 called Hype: The Time Quest. It's pretty much unremembered, but it was pretty good.BarbaricAvatar

Also came out on PS2 in 2002. I haven't played it yet. :D

Oh? Huh. Didn't know that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
I also meant to mention Wave Race Blue Storm. While I prefer the visuals and overall presentation of the original, Blue Storm is still a stellar game. The 4 player mode, with talented players going at it, was very very competitive. One of the best racers of that gen. I also think it was LEAGUES better than Double Dash.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nameless12345

Jet Force Gemini, imo.

The game was amazingly good, even if it had some issues with the camera and unusual control. (it was a TPS platformer of sorts)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Jet Force Gemini, imo.

The game was amazingly good, even if it had some issues with the camera and unusual control. (it was a TPS platformer of sorts)

nameless12345
I have mixed feelings on that game. Is good, but IMO the technical performance holds it back, even moreso than other Rare titles. It's too bad that the expansion pack was always used to push "high res" mode when IMO just improving the performance would make the games better.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Jet Force Gemini, imo.

Heirren

I have mixed feelings on that game. Is good, but IMO the technical performance holds it back, even moreso than other Rare titles. It's too bad that the expansion pack was always used to push "high res" mode when IMO just improving the performance would make the games better.

It doesn't use the memory expansion.

I found the framerate always on the playlable side, i.e. it didn't dip so much that it wouldn't be playlable.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
 this game is criminally underrated.. waay better than ocarina of time
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Shadow the hedgehog...Is kind of underrated I believe. It definitely gets too much hate. But I still think it's not a very good game. I find it more frustrating than Sonic 06. I don't like the game engine. The controls feel sloppy.

Speaking of Sonic 06, I think that game is the most underrated game of all time. What makes it great is how its reminiscent of Sonic Adventure. If you take the time to acclimate yourself to the loose controls, you'll have fun playing Sonic 06. I think it's got some great game feel.

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts
Freedom Fighters is one of the funnest games I've ever played. I don't know if it's underrated (based on Score), but I don't know many people that have heard or played it. Also Harry Potter Quidditch World Cup is some how insanely fun.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Too many people do hate the series for no good reason, but sales and scores say it isn't overrated.
GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts
Nobody remembers Extermination, Zone of the Enders, Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, Monster Hunter, or SSX Tricky?
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thebest31406
[QUOTE="voljin1987"] this game is criminally underrated.. waay better than ocarina of time

I'm actually considering playing this because of how different it is. OoT for the N64 has been obsolete since the release of TP. Majora's Mask on the other hand, well...there's nothing like it.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="voljin1987"] this game is criminally underrated.. waay better than ocarina of time thebest31406
 OoT for the N64 has been obsolete since the release of TP.  

lol no.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thebest31406

[QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="voljin1987"] this game is criminally underrated.. waay better than ocarina of time NaveedLife

OoT for the N64 has been obsolete since the release of TP.  

lol no.

um yes. TP looks much better, sounds much better and is practically the same game.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="thebest31406"]  OoT for the N64 has been obsolete since the release of TP.  thebest31406

lol no.

um yes. TP looks much better, sounds much better and is practically the same game.

practically the same game?  lol wow.  I guess game content and pacing count for nothing now.  Not to mention the amazing music and far more interesting sidequests in OoT.  But thats ok, all is forgiven because TP has a really long and dull intro/tutorial and almost no good towns.  TP is a great game, but don't kid yourself, it is no OoT.