Silent Hill or Resident Evil

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thenerd1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 thenerd1989
Member since 2012 • 88 Posts
Silent Hill is scarier but is Resident evil and overall better game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Resident Evil isn't survival horror, it's "survival...with a giant arsenal of guns and explosions"

Silent Hill wins by default, IMO

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

The first three Silent Hill games especially have better story lines and plots along with a much higher 'creepy' factor that makes the game play more immersive.

in addition the multiple ending of SH2 and SH3 give you a high replay value.

Resident Evil is not what I would call a true survival horror game so much as a shooter with elements of a horror game added to make it much more interesting and to me a lot more fun than your average shooter.

I've played most of the RE games and they were all fun and many of them are excellent.

--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 --T-Virus--
Member since 2005 • 1556 Posts

I don't agree that Resident Evil is not a survival horror. Yes the latest ones (forth and fifth to be exact) are not survival horror but try playing original Resident Evil (1996 version) with Chris. Bullets are scarce there! :)

Even though I do believe that Silent Hill games are more survival-horror'ish. Even though old school Resis are to be considered survival horror too. :)

OmoroRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 OmoroRoy
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts

Silent Hill and Resident Evil are both great horror series. I mean the first games.

But I prefer RE, because I remember old good days when I **** my pants after seen the licker outside the window.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
SH by far, and not just because RE ain't horror.
Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

Silent Hill is overall much creepier but since I have a soft spot for anything with zombies in it I'm going to go with Resident Evil.

--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 --T-Virus--

Silent Hill and Resident Evil are both great horror series. I mean the first games.

But I prefer RE, because I remember old good days when I **** my pants after seen the licker outside the window.

OmoroRoy
That part in RE2 is definitely in my list of "freakiest moments in video game history". :D
kevkyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kevkyl
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
as of now. silent hill downpour is scarier than resident evil 5. so yeah. silent hill is keeping pace with horror and survival with breakable weapons and creepy interactions. as for RE explosions and guns. overall, i think silent hill wins by just not having to rely on your guns, because of the ammo your saving up for the boss. :))
--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 --T-Virus--
as of now. silent hill downpour is scarier than resident evil 5. so yeah. silent hill is keeping pace with horror and survival with breakable weapons and creepy interactions. as for RE explosions and guns. overall, i think silent hill wins by just not having to rely on your guns, because of the ammo your saving up for the boss. :))kevkyl
It's not fair calling Resident Evil 4 or Resident Evil 5 a Resident Evil game because it isn't. It shares the same name but that's it. Resident Evil died with Code Veronica (last survival-horror Resi). While Silent Hill sticks to it's roots (more or less). This is primarily why right now I respect SH developers much more than Capcom. Capcom noticed that the action/adventure (Resident Evil 4, 5) sells better than survival-horror (Resi 1-3, 0, code veronica) and now they stick to making action games. Capcom does not care about hardcore fans. And I was Resi fan since 1996.. :(
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Resident Evil isn't survival horror, it's "survival...with a giant arsenal of guns and explosions"

Silent Hill wins by default, IMO

well this, at this poin, the new re seems like a cod game.
Xeilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Xeilia
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts

Resident Evil is more action-oriented while Silent hill is more creepy. It's hard to compare.

All in all, I think Silent Hill somehow retained the feel of the original game, while resident Evil nowadays seems like some action game where you just kill the hell out of zombies. It doesn't feel like the original REs at all.

I guess the reason is the new generation of smart Zombies...

globalwolf2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 globalwolf2012
I think Silent Hill is probably the better series, but admittedly, a lot of that's just personal preference. I think that the latest Resident Evil games probably don't fall under the genre of survival horror (which pretty much by definition requires a lack of weaponry, battle skills, etc.), but even prior to that, I just like Silent Hill better. I will make an exception for the first games of both series, though. The original Silent Hill has an interesting but incomprehensible storyline (yes, you can understand it, but you have to see a lot of out-of-game material to do so), and its graphics aren't the greatest. Not that RE had perfect graphics, but it used more static backgrounds that looked better, and the running animations were a substantial improvement.
JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
I've always preferred Silent Hill, but recently Resident Evil has been growing on me. I still go with Silent Hill though
Holy-Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Holy-Rapture
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts

The question was Silent Hill or Resident Evil, with the added Silent Hill is scarier but is RE a better game..

That said, not including the fact that Resident Evil is my all time favorite game haha, I always thought it was better than Silent Hill. Not as scary maybe but still plenty scary/intense. Gameplay-wise definitely RE. RE4 i loved although that strayed from survival horror a lot, 5 was pretty bad and in no way survival horror same with how 6 is looking. Silent Hill is keeping up with the scares but the games are still kinda broken :/ If Silent Hill could give a performance like RE4 but retain its survival horror (and, except of late, good storytelling) then itd be the best!

Frieza99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Frieza99
Member since 2012 • 228 Posts
Definitely Silent Hill , its a perfect horror game.
Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Silent Hill

godlikemouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#18 godlikemouse
Member since 2003 • 91 Posts

It's actually a good question. In my opinion for an absolutely nightmarishly rich storyline and original hellish ideas, it's Silent Hill all the way. But for a fun and sometimes co-op gameplay horror title, then it's Resident Evil.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iowastate

in other words they both are great games and it is a matter of personal opinon which is better.

I love both series and play the hell out of them.

phonohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 phonohead
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Silent Hill is overall better and scarier.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 iowastate
Silent Hill is overall better and scarier.phonohead
I think so myself but I also realize that is our opinion and there are quite a few who like Resident Evil better.
fronttrigger3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 fronttrigger3
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest horror game of all time....period end of sentence. Silent Hill is better at other things, but RE4 is the standard.

MAY9096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 MAY9096
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Silent Hill?? No No this game became junk horror game specially "Silent Hill:Downpour", maybe the horror atmosphere is good comparing to RE 4,5 and 6 but Silent Hill Still bad in fighting and monsters design.

If you want a perfect game to compare with RE you have DEAD SPACE, this game is the first Contender between all horror games and the only game combines the good shooting, the scary atmosphere and interesting story all together with a perfect form

So if you want to compare RESIDENT EVIL with other strong game Compare it with DEAD SPACE ... that will bean exciting comparing

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iowastate

Silent Hill?? No No this game became junk horror game specially "Silent Hill:Downpour", maybe the horror atmosphere is good comparing to RE 4,5 and 6 but Silent Hill Still bad in fighting and monsters design.

If you want a perfect game to compare with RE you have DEAD SPACE, this game is the first Contender between all horror games and the only game combines the good shooting, the scary atmosphere and interesting story all together with a perfect form

So if you want to compare RESIDENT EVIL with other strong game Compare it with DEAD SPACE ... that will bean exciting comparing

MAY9096
this particular topic was a comparison between the two popular series Resident Evil and Silent Hill those are the only two which matter for this thread, please talk about any other game or series in a relevant area.
slashz8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slashz8

dependeds on your play style and personal preferances. me ive never played silent hill but from what can tell is that its defintly scarer then resident evil. yet, im unsure what the "mosters" are in Silent Hill they don't appear to be zombies thus making it more unknown Vs general what to exspect from a zombie. it also apears to the differance of weopons in resident evil you get guns (true, they do have a knife) to combat zombies vs. silent hill which appears to be mostly melee and a few guns.

fear is based on a lack of understanding

with zombie the only real fear is the question do i have enough ammo for to hold them off.

though if its unknown reaction is more in route of to kill or flee

.... so silent hill or resident evil?

resident evil based on my limited knowleagde of silent hill and i genrally like zombie games.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Which one is scarier ? I dont know and i dont care, but Im pretty sure Dead Space is more frightning than both of'em combined. However Resident Evil is the more Dynamic and enjoyable game between the three.
TTGSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TTGSteve
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

Resident Evil, in my opinion.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#28 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Silent Hill by a long shot.

Resident Evil games were great when the first two released, now the games are just a mess these days; they don't have a clue what they're trying to be and the end result is...something other than survival horror. It isn't good.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#29 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

MAY9096

RE with a good story? Really? Silent Hill doesn't have the strongest collection of stories, but the entire appeal is the ambiguity of what is really happening to the characters. Silent Hill's stories make little sense by design; RE's stories try way too hard and are senseless.

And when is 'good shooting' a determinate of a solid survival horror game? Last I checked, too much shooting such as in RE 4,5, and 6 is actually a determinant of a game that isn't so much survival horror. Even in Dead Space where combat is central to the experience, ammo can be fairly difficult to come by during certain areas and for certain weapons.

Comparing the atmosphere and environments in Dead Space to those in RE games, especially the more current RE ones, leaves RE is a truly negative light. The only Resident Evil games that hold up against Silent Hill and Dead Space in the survival horror arena are the first two.

blessingboi111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 blessingboi111
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

If you'd asked this question back in 1998 (Back when Resident Evil 2 was released) I would have fought tooth and nail to argue that Resident Evil was hands down the only survival horror game to play.

But as has been expressed in previous posts, Capcom ruined the series with RE4 and the over the shoulder feel to the game. I have not got the foggiest idea why Capcom decided to build upon the killing of zombies in their game. Yes, I understand it's a zombie game, but my point is they seemed to believe that we wanted MORE zombies and completely eliminate the puzzle element and just focus on blasting hordes of zombies. The way I saw RE1, RE2 etc, was that zombies were just inconveniences that were in the way to solving puzzles and providing the obvious thrill and scare elements needed.

Capcom however, seemed to have developed their game for the less educated and believe everybody wants to play COD type games. This is obviously not true.

It seems then that my answer would have to be Silent Hill, for no more than a default choice. But that would only be that the Silent Hill series didn't want to tinker with their games and I respect that.

The best Capcom could do now, would be to re-make RE2 or RE3 on the Xbox or PS3, like they did for RE1 on the Gamecube.

That would suit me down to the ground.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Capcom doesnt give sh!t about you so called die hard fans, and why should they ? If you don't support'em then you wont get any more of them.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iowastate

proving that this question is only answered by personal preference.

there are tonnes of die hard Resident Evil fans

and just as many die hard Silent Hill fans.

I love and have played almost all of the games from both series.

qmdqwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 qmdqwd
I've always preferred Silent Hill, but recently Resident Evil has been growing on me. I still go with Silent Hill though Commercial Refrigerators
Dhruva44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dhruva44
i think silent hill 2,3 and even sh4 great gameS but resident evil5 also a great game. im not play Re1,2,3 games s0000 i dont know these games are good or not..
IrishConnor94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IrishConnor94
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

From a horror standpoint, I'd say Silent Hill is scarier, but the first 3 Resident Evil games aren't too far behind.

Silent Hill is a little better as a Horror franchise too because they stuck with horror, while Resident Evil gradually edged towards action over horror.

CloneBraveB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CloneBraveB
I haven't played Resident Evil but saw a friend doing it. What I think is that Resident Evil is closer to the genre Action than genre Horror. Silent Hill is different - I mean you can kill those things but you have very limited resources and you don't have a weapon arsenal like in Resident Evil.
zombiedriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zombiedriveby

I remember playing the first resident evil ...and I remember it making me jump constantly ...I also remember renting silent hill....and having my mind blown ....Then I bought it and became a huge fanboy and have played and beaten every silent hill console release since....can't say the same for R E

PyschoHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PyschoHunter
I think Silent Hill is probably the better series, but admittedly, a lot of that's just personal preference. I think that the latest Resident Evil games probably don't fall under the genre of survival horror (which pretty much by definition requires a lack of weaponry, battle skills, etc.), but even prior to that, I just like Silent Hill better. I will make an exception for the first games of both series, though. The original Silent Hill has an interesting but incomprehensible storyline (yes, you can understand it, but you have to see a lot of out-of-game material to do so), and its graphics aren't the greatest. Not that RE had perfect graphics, but it used more static backgrounds that looked better, and the running animations were a substantial improvement.globalwolf2012
ummmm no you don't need any "out-of-game" material you just have to play all the predecessors and be a smart guy and look around and investigate, read around and stuff like that. any "out-of-game" material is simply a note in the game which you didn't find/read or skipped through. so don't blame the game blame yourself for not trying "hard enough" if you put your mind to it and read all the notes in-game you would've understood the games instead your doing like the idiot who reviewed SH2 all talk and no brain. but at least you had the decency to say what an awesome game it is. as for the main question I love both series and they own large parts of my heart but as for story: SH, Creepiness: SH,Fun: RE, Replayability: SH(for the different endings. and yes to all those who say RE is not a survival horror you're wrong it is. please play Resi 2 again EVERY BULLET COUNTS. but overall SH wins
PyschoHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PyschoHunter
to everyone that uses the dead space argument YOU UTTERLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SURVIVAL HORROR IS !!!! I mean Dead pace to me was an action game not scary in the slightest
Avatar image for Change_MyShorts
Change_MyShorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Change_MyShorts
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Resident Evil named and defined the survival horror genre

Nightelf123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nightelf123
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

what about resident evil 0 and 1 remake.

both are survivel horror games and 1 remake is better than the original one.

Avatar image for bLaCk_XxWiDoWxX
bLaCk_XxWiDoWxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bLaCk_XxWiDoWxX
If you consider all games released for the respective franchises, Silent hill is the better survival horror game. Although you have to take into account Resident Evil invented the "Survival horror" genre but has long since forgotten it's roots (after the release of RE4). I still hail the original RE remake for GameCube as the greatest game of all time, but silent hill 2 and 3 come in a close 2nd. With the newer releases for both games, Silent hill has stayed true to the survival horror tag where as Resident Evil has tried to attract more of the FPS and 3rdPS crowd. All things considered, you just can't compete with Silent Hill's physiological thrill ride mixed with a beautiful soundtrack and the thought of Pyramid head lurking around the corner.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Silent Hill is vastly superior as far as pure horror goes since it has supernatural elements to it.

At least with me, the issue I have with RE, even the early ones, is that all the monsters are science experiments gone wrong. To me that isn't that scary. With SH all you know is that they are supernatural and may or may not be in the character's head. Not only that but the supernatural factor in SH gives the games a greater opprotunity for some seriously weird, surreal and freaky moments.

Although I'd be lying if I said REmake didn't creep me out at several parts.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
Silent Hill is scarier but is Resident evil and overall better game?thenerd1989
the first 3 resident evil games plus code veronica are unmatched except in the case of the resident evil remake and resident evil 0 on gamecube. those resident evil games rule all survival horror games and nothing else even comes close.
strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

speaking for RE 1, 2, 3 and SH 1, 2, 3 only

both are survival horror games

RE being more of a jump scare horror that plays on your fear of death and instinct to live (coupled it with your fear of spiders, corpses, monster, and other familiar threats).

it incorporates the feeling of hopelessness and of an impending death. the game pits you against an overwhelming foe that is out to get you and you have the feeling that you have no time to rest and have very little means to fight back. monsters in RE are bigger and menacing like Nemesis.

SH is more of a psychological horror that plays on your fear of the unknown, fear of the strangeness and unfamiliar.

it incorporates the feeling of dread by tapping into the psyche and the subconscious, contorting the familiar day to day objects into something abnormal and malevolent making it more personally threatening.

a familiar bedroom where we usually associated comfort security and intimacy is transformed into place of sadistic ritual torture and sacrifice. docile toddlers transformed into faceless, murdering malignants.

thus SH must rely heavily on psychological  symbolism. monsters in SH are more contorted and weird, often seems to be suffering in great pain or in torture, to reflect the psyche of the protagonist.

so they are very much different base on how they induce fear and horror. and both (for the early games) are great survival horror games

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25204a1863
deactivated-5bb25204a1863

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5bb25204a1863
Silent hill is the better survival horror game!
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 iowastate

both of these games are really more what you would call action horror - to be survival horror you have to go to Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, Typing of the Dead and the Fatal Frame games .....where you can't use weapons and shoot your way out of trouble.

hide and evade is what was the original definition of "survival" horror.

action horror allows you to fight your way out of trouble and action adventure is like Fear 1 and 2

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 turtlethetaffer

both of these games are really more what you would call action horror - to be survival horror you have to go to Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, Typing of the Dead and the Fatal Frame games .....where you can't use weapons and shoot your way out of trouble.

hide and evade is what was the original definition of "survival" horror.

action horror allows you to fight your way out of trouble and action adventure is like Fear 1 and 2

iowastate

Silent Hill 3 at the very least is not action... Sure you have guns but ammo is incredibly scarce, at least on the difficulty I played (which was normal if I'm not mistaken).

avant8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 avant8
I think SilentHill will be scariest :-)
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 turtlethetaffer

I think SilentHill will be scariest :-) avant8

I agree... It's tough for me personally to be scared by scientifically made creatures.  the supernatural is much, much scarier.