Should action RPGs stop being that one cross-genre dominating the industry?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Should action RPGs stop being that one cross-genre dominating the industry? (11 votes)

Yes. Other genres need to come back from the dead 18%
No. If you're sick of these type of games, get an Xbox 9%
Who cares? 73%
 • 
RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

. . don't get it. Not a fan or something? they're still not as big as first person shooters which is the most dominate and mass marketed genre in the industry.

It's easy to understand why Action RPG is a popular sub-genre anyhow. Brimming with replay-value, and they have a lot of variety in them individually_

Openworlds filled with NPCs living daily lives, a lot of talking, branching paths, fetch quests such as The Witcher and The Elder Scrolls. Main focus on immersion and world building.

Then the more linear ones which have a crude way of telling stories or presenting characters, for these it's to get out the way and cut straight to the conflict. Maps designed with gameplay in mind, far better combat and enemy variety/ superior A.I. such as Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.

*And even then all four games mentioned have far less in common with each other than let's say- Call of Duty, Battle Field, Titan Fall, and Battle Front; which only FPS purists can tell each other apart

With that mentioned have read great things about Titan Fall 2 but I've only played the original and wasn't a fan.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 0

#2 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

what games are you meaning in particular?

there hasn't really been much for RPG-based games in the past few years.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RSM-HQ
@elessarGObonzo said:

there hasn't really been much for RPG-based games in the past few years.

If you are a fan of RPG games? Don't sleep on Divinity: Original Sin II. It's on every major platform now as well.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#4 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

If you are a fan of RPG games? Don't sleep on Divinity: Original Sin II. It's on every major platform now as well.

i've played both and while they were fun, you can tell they have been produced for mass markets and not as in depth as the older isometric RPG style games i've always enjoyed.

i liked the first 2 Divinity games(Divine Divinity & Beyond Divinity) much better than the last 2. currently going back through Pillars of Eternity in prep for finally playing PoE II. i would say PoE is much more fun for me than Original Sin II was.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
@elessarGObonzo said:

i've played both and while they were fun, you can tell they have been produced for mass markets and not as in depth as the older isometric RPG style games i've always enjoyed.

Do you think so? Found Divinity: Original Sin II to have quite a lot of depth, at least in the combat. Arx is a slog though, and the update barely improved it.

i liked the first 2 Divinity games(Divine Divinity & Beyond Divinity) much better than the last 2.

Recall someone mentioning this in 2019 when we talked about the Ultima series, and honestly I just picked up with Original Sin II so wasn't aware it was a long running franchise.

i would say PoE is much more fun for me than Original Sin II was.

Can't account for that one, yet. Read good things, if I ever get to one of the Pillar games hoping I'll have a good time.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If anything it's action RPGs that need to come back from the dead.