Shenmue III....Ever Gonna Happen???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bballnplaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bballnplaya
Member since 2003 • 506 Posts
Shenmue III....Ever Gonna Happen???
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Shenmue was the most expensive game ever made. Wikipedia said, that there were estimates that every Dreamcast owner in Japan had to buy two copies of this game just to cover the cost. Sega had to sell 2 million copies. But unfortunately, they only sold 1.4 million worldwide.

Shenmue II was given another chance by Microsoft because of the XBOX as a new platform. Sadly, Shenmue II sold worse than the first one.

So two strikes for Sega AM2's very ambitious project. But I hear Yu Suzuki took a time out and still wants to do this. But is any studio willing to back them up? What if there's a strike three?

At this point, it looks like it's a risk to make this game. It's just too costly. But there might be a part III....so just keep your hopes up.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Shenmue III....Ever Gonna Happen???bballnplaya

Most likely not.

It'd be great though if the last installment in the series would be released, so that we get to play it to the end.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Seeing as how it was the highest budget game ever and it was only moderately successful, that's a big no. If Sega decides to emulate OTHER systems on the Virtual Console *cough* Saturn *cough* Sega CD & 32X for the about 4 good games for each *cough* that was long *cough* Dreamcast, just saying *cough*, it might see a chance.
binx_the_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 binx_the_fox
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

Sure, it would be nice... But again for the above reasons i don't see it happening. The thing about Shenmue is only a certain number of people could appreciate it. I loved both games but when i asked some of my friends they told me they couldn't see the point in wandering around playing with capsule toys and asking for directions.

So, Unless they can double Shenmue's current fan-base, things don't look good for the thrid game.

There is however still talk of Shenmue online, which if done right, could be pretty good =].

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Sure, it would be nice... But again for the above reasons i don't see it happening. The thing about Shenmue is only a certain number of people could appreciate it. I loved both games but when i asked some of my friends they told me they couldn't see the point in wandering around playing with capsule toys and asking for directions.

So, Unless they can double Shenmue's current fan-base, things don't look good for the thrid game.

There is however still talk of Shenmue online, which if done right, could be pretty good =].

binx_the_fox

Actually I didn't think that much of the original Shenmue. But with the sequel I felt that Sega were heading in the right direction. I didn't know then that there would be no Shenmue III.

Argh... Shenmue Online. I have no hopes for Shenmue Online.

AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts

I guess I have to be the bad-cop here, the Simon Cowell:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever in a billion years EVER. No matter what happens, no matter how much money Sega piles up, NEVER.

*ahem*

Someone has to state the harsh reality. High cost + low profit = no.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Seeing as how it was the highest budget game ever and it was only moderately successful, that's a big no. If Sega decides to emulate OTHER systems on the Virtual Console *cough* Saturn *cough* Sega CD & 32X for the about 4 good games for each *cough* that was long *cough* Dreamcast, just saying *cough*, it might see a chance.Video_Game_King

That's a mighty bad cough you got there.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Didn't you get the memo? Sega's practically dead. Sad story, really ...