Shadow Of the Colossus OMG

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

How did i miss this game? I have heard about it for many many years and latly i have been playing through the whole game exept taking out the last 16th Colossus and i must say WOW! Oh my god, this game is beyond epic! Even today, after 9 years this ps2 game of a masterpiece is still on par with games of todays standards, there are no games like Shadow of the Colossus and if you havn`t played it, get it NOW!

Here is me taking out the 15th Colossus yesterday, (Spoiler Alert) after 9 years lol) do not watch this video if you are going to play this game.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Ah, Shadow of the Colossus. The first game to make me feel guilty about killing things, and that's a strong feat for a video game to do. It's #3 on my top 10 favorites list, behind Xenogears and The Last of Us.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I actually decided to pass this game up even though I could play it from PS+. I played through ICO and wasn't overly amazed by it. Probably a fantastic game for its time, but nothing that I found to be too impressive. Shadow of the Colossus, to me, just doesn't look like something I would enjoy that much. I'm not a fan of platforming and I've heard bad things about the camera angles. And going from this video, the fights look to be very repetitive, but I'm just making an assumption. So yeah, I'm still not convinced.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mastermetal777

@SoNin360: None of the fights are repetitive, I can tell you that much after playing the game about 5 times already. Each fight is designed to be unique from one another. It's not just about climbing the giant creatures. There are methods you need to figure out in order to actually be able to climb them, especially since some have the ability to fly. The camera angles aren't the greatest, but its not as bad as people make it out to be. I would call it sensitive, not bad. And the biggest thing is that the boss fights are the only fights in the game. No mooks or anything. Just 16 massive creatures ready to be slain. Figuring out how to slay them is the point of the game. It's more like a puzzle action-adventure game than it is a platformer.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#5 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

You know, I started playing this game years ago, and after killing the first colossus I stopped and never played it again. I guess it's high time to try again...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

One of the best game ever. :)......

:'(

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I don't much care for it, though I did buy the PS2 version for 5 bucks a couple weeks ago for collecting purposes.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

One of the best game ever. :)......

:'(

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

Ah, Shadow of the Colossus. The first game to make me feel guilty about killing things, and that's a strong feat for a video game to do. It's #3 on my top 10 favorites list, behind Xenogears and The Last of Us.

Good taste matey.

It's heartbreaking, like how Nier is on the second playthrough :)

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Garbage game, one of the worst PS exclusives to grace the PS2 and sadly, the PS3. Just my opinion, of course.

I thought it was extremely tedious and repetitive. You can play it out by saying: "That's not the point....blah blah...that's not how you approach it.....blah blah blah." But guess what, it wasn't FUN.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ojmstr

@mastermetal777: I Couldn`t agree moore, this game went straight into my top 10 list of all times as well at 3rd place with only Final Fantasy 7 and The Last Of Us above it. Shadow Of The Colossus is truly a masterpiece.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ojmstr

My 1000th Post here on Gamespot, and what better way to do it then to post a Tribute video of Shadow Of The Colossus.

Just finished the game yesterday and recorded every second of it, finished editing and uploading the video just right now, hope you guys enjoy. Watch it in HD for better view.

Loading Video...

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#13 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It is definitely one fantastic game, there's nothing else quite like it. I need to go back and replay it sometime. I remember facing the last colossus and just being amazed. One hell of an epic.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's such a bizarre masterpiece. There is almost nothing to do... you go out and kill these big things, and that's it. But, there is just something about it. It's so lonely and miserable. It's so close to perfect minus some control issues.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

One of the few games I repurchased as an HD remaster. I played and beat this game about six times and I'm still enamored by it.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ojmstr

@Zassimick: Hell Yeah man, this game is extraordinary, there are no games that i can think of that has the same gameplay. it took me some hours to figgure out how to kill slay that last Colossus but when i finally did it it felt so rewarding. It was truly Epic!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ojmstr

Not even Dragon's Dogma ?

Although I must say sometimes I prefered being on my feet than latched on to a behemoth that won't sit still.....(It also has a god awfull camera)

Lost Planet 2 also let you latch on to certain surfaces, if you're really good, you can latch on to an Akrid's Joint - a strap a genade on it.... Then Leap backwards and detonate the grenade with Gun Fire..... Perform on of the game's 100 Taunts because thats just how bad ass its gona make you feel.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@M8ingSeezun said:

Garbage game, one of the worst PS exclusives to grace the PS2 and sadly, the PS3. Just my opinion, of course.

I thought it was extremely tedious and repetitive. You can play it out by saying: "That's not the point....blah blah...that's not how you approach it.....blah blah blah." But guess what, it wasn't FUN.

My opinion as well. Terrible gameplay and it relies completely on tugging at emotional strings. No substance whatsoever.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44201 Posts

I missed it originally on the PS2 but got it on the PS3 thanks to PSN+ and I didn't much care for the game myself. I found the controls felt stiff and the camera was terrible. I played for a bit, think I took down 2 Colossi then just really didn't feel like playing it anymore. I also didn't care for Ico either and stopped playing that after awhile also.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

you sir have great taste.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@Renegade_Fury

These things usually have their own Category called "Non-Games" (or not-games, or art games or zen games). However they do their best to stay clear of anything that might even be considered as gaming, which is why they usually come in Visual Novels or Point and Click Adventure format. Simulator also are not games, however, in practice the two overlap almost at every turn so they are pretty much a gaming subcategory.

Ico and Shadow of The Colossus problem is they they didn't avoid the gaming tropes far enough..... Which just makes it a bad game.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: or maybe a game nowadays is whatever you want it to be, so long as you can interact and have input into what's being animated onscreen, unlike every other medium out there. Staying with such a strict definition is so limiting it hurts. It's why I stopped trying to define games long ago and just played whatever I found interesting.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Or Maybe everything is a game.... Or everything is a movie..... No wait.... Everithing is a thing....

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ojmstr

To all of you saying this is a bad game, offcourse you are entitled to your own opinion and i respect that but the majority will rate this game very high up there. >> http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/shadow-of-the-colossus/critic-reviews

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

I judge the game based on its gameplay Mechanics..... Don't get me wrong, its still an Oppinion. But if one thinks SoC's mechanics are good then the many games with better mechanics are absolutely fantastic by comparison.

Its all relative.

Also Bioshock Infinite also scored high on Metacritic so its not exactly reliable.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: or maybe you should just accept that people are allowed to like games you don't like without you making them feel like can idiot about it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I did no such thing... :p

I never said he shouldn't like it.

And SoC is a not a good game in the same way knitting is not a good game...... Because thats what happens when you bring a cat to a dog show..... It can't win a competion not designed for it..... After all, Good Games like Bayonetta don't make good art/emo "games" like SoC, Journey and Heavy Rain..... You're more than welcome to call them games, however that just means they are not good games, that is whats limiting them.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: and who made you the expert on what makes a game good or not?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Oh a handsome young man named Common Sense.....

You obviously never met him since you believe everything interactive is a game.... Since you don't believe in accurate distinctions between different concepts.... Since you believe your universal definition is not going to cause confusion if SoC and Tetris can both be 100% games.

If you like, I can indroduce to Mr. Common Sense.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: common sense is changing in this industry. And it's a bad excuse for justifying a bias.

I have a suggestion: just let people like what they like.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Oh I'm not implying its perfect.... I'm just saying call everything interactive a game is a terribal idea.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

You should see how these games get treated..... They just lump them in together in a big pile without sorting them, its a pain to find what you're looking for...... I assure you thats gona do far more damage than somebody saying "Its not a (good) game". I still don't get why you think thats a bad thing.....

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: you're acting like they don't ever get sorted. They do as subgenres of video games. Just because it doesn't fit your extremely rigid criteria doesn't mean it isn't a game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

And what is my extremely rigid Criteria ?

Also these games are usually stuffed into "Other" or "Casual" categories. I'm sorry but even the other subcategories of games do share fundemental simularities, thats why they are still games, what you're talking about isn't a subcategory, its different category. Thats like saying TV Shows are a Subcategory of Movies

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ojmstr

@Lulu_Lulu: Gamespot gave SOTC 8.7, user avarage here on Gamespot is 9.1, Meta Critic is 9.1. These number are proof that the majority of gamers rate this game very high and that means that most people think this game is good and few people like your self, around 10% of the people who have played this game think it`s a bad game. It`s all good though, we can`t all have the same opinions about games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

Ofcourse they do..... They just don'tt base that on the games mechanics..... They are shallow... Good for the feelings but not good enough to stimulate the brain like an Actual game....

Its quite simple really, people rate things based on the experience, not the criteria that actually make that would normally be in effect, a popular example is cutscenes..... They have no place in gaming, they are not even interactive, they are theyre because they ilicit a better experience.... Not a better game.... To a lesser extant this is What Shadow of The Colossus is, they were after creating a great experience not a great game....

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: You don't review games like you would a lawn mower or a coffee machine, where the parts have to add up. You experience a game, just like you experience a film or a book, so naturally reviews have to take that into account. They're not rigid machines that have to work a certain way. Video games are something you are a part of. They are an experience, as I've said, and every review of every video game regards them as such in one way or another. To ignore that trait is to ignore a vital part of the medium.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Oh yeah totally .... Lets add movies to video games coz experience is soooooooo much more important than common sense......

"Hang on, is that an oven or a motorcycle ? WHO CARES !.... EXPERIENCE, MOTHA****** ! ! !"

I'm sorry mate, my mind can't be disorganized like yours.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: wow such hostility. Experience is everything. It's why opinions exist and why nobody likes all of the same things. Common sense is common sense to the eye of the beholder only. Maybe you should try it sometime. Actually experiencing something instead of over-analyzing it to exhaustion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Been there done that..... I could never find what I was looking for since I knew nothing beyond "if its interactive.... Its a game"

after learning this stuff life's been great ! I aint never going back man.... YOU CAN'T MAKE ME ! :(

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

ico was extremely overrated, i didnt played this game through because i didnt trust that studio . But icos hd version was well done so thats good

@Lulu_Lulu: You don't review games like you would a lawn mower or a coffee machine, where the parts have to add up. You experience a game, just like you experience a film or a book, so naturally reviews have to take that into account. They're not rigid machines that have to work a certain way. Video games are something you are a part of. They are an experience, as I've said, and every review of every video game regards them as such in one way or another. To ignore that trait is to ignore a vital part of the medium.

@ojmstr said:

@Lulu_Lulu: Gamespot gave SOTC 8.7, user avarage here on Gamespot is 9.1, Meta Critic is 9.1. These number are proof that the majority of gamers rate this game very high and that means that most people think this game is good and few people like your self, around 10% of the people who have played this game think it`s a bad game. It`s all good though, we can`t all have the same opinions about games.

however most important thing in a video game is gameplay mechanics, since its a game that you play, usually reviews dont give a shit about gameplay, they are usually based on story and story-telling thats why last of us, walking dead, heavy rain were praised, only because of their stories. WD was a fucking interactive movie without different endings and it got 90-ish reviews ffs. Story matters too but, a good stor shouldnt be more important than good/innovative gameplay mechanichs in game reviews, thats why reviews dont mean much imo, they are reviewing games as if they were reviewing books.

btw, i havent played this game more than few mins, i am talking about reviews in general

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Sorry you have to limit yourself like that. Enjoy missing out on great games for the sake of your so-called "common sense." Of course, that's just my opinion of this situation. I'm not forcing anything. I'll just pity you instead. Meanwhile, I'll continue enjoying games of many varieties without predetermined biases.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@humanistpotato

I believe we've reached the point in this medium where we can't use the word "game" anymore..... It served its purpose but now its time to re-evaluate everything.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I don't miss anything... I play them and I enjoy them I just don't call them "games".

I never said anything about not playing or supporting these interactive experience, they're just too good to pass up.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Haven't played the 16th yet?

Just wait.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ojmstr

Ofcourse they do..... They just don'tt base that on the games mechanics..... They are shallow... Good for the feelings but not good enough to stimulate the brain like an Actual game....

Its quite simple really, people rate things based on the experience, not the criteria that actually make that would normally be in effect, a popular example is cutscenes..... They have no place in gaming, they are not even interactive, they are theyre because they ilicit a better experience.... Not a better game.... To a lesser extant this is What Shadow of The Colossus is, they were after creating a great experience not a great game....

You can't be this stupid (unless you're just a shitty troll). A game isn't purely defined by purely by gameplay, but rather by all of its components (gameplay is necessary for something to be a "game", but is not the only feature that determines game quality). Cutscenes make a game better to the extent, say, that they develop the story. You can start to argue maybe that some things that are basically like visual novels aren't so much games as something else, but SOTC is very clearly not in that category.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

@chessmaster1989

Let me put you to the test... Is Tetris less of a game than ..... Uhm..... Lets say Metal Gear Solid 4.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@chessmaster1989

Let me put you to the test... Is Tetris less of a game than ..... Uhm..... Lets say Metal Gear Solid 4.

They're both games, MGS4 is much better. What's your point?