SEGA leaks some big Sony news- PS2 emulation, Dreamcast, PSN import store, etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

This news comes courtesy of NeoGAF.

SEGA of America hosted the minutes of a recent meeting with Sony on a public section of their website by mistake.

You can check the full list of stuff at the GAF thread, or download the document yourself, but the interesting stuff is as follows:

Sony is encouraging SEGA to look at Yakuza 3 as a potential candidate for their upcoming PSN Import store.

Sony is also looking at PS2 emulation and wants to be able to sell every PS2 game on the PSN store.

They also discuss the possibility of getting Dreamcast games up on the PSN store.

The Sony motion control wand is supposed to launch in March 2010, they expect to sell 5-6 million of them worldwide.

It is also interesting to see how Sony goes about exclusivity. It seems like they offer marketing dollars for the finished product instead of outright buying the exclusive. I hope we hear about the PSN import store, Dreamcast games and PS2 games on the PSN store soon, as I want all of them very much.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

PS2 games through emulation would be positively awesome, but last I heard there were still some serious technical issues with no known solutions. I would think that a more limited selection is more realistic.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rragnaar

PS2 games through emulation would be positively awesome, but last I heard there were still some serious technical issues with no known solutions. I would think that a more limited selection is more realistic.

Teufelhuhn
This is what I'm thinking as well. I suspect it will be a lot like the Xbox Originals section on XBLM where there are just a handful of PS2 titles emulated and put up for download on PSN.
PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
Still no new Streets of Rage :(
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rragnaar
Seems to be almost too good to be true. dvader654
One way or another it sounds like we are going to finally get Yakuza 3, and that is awesome. I wonder if SEGA will use the PSN import store, or if this 1up story is true, and they will let someone else publish it.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Teufelhuhn
The main theory I've heard is that Sony would do something where they make specific emulators for each game they release to ensure compatibility, or something along the lines of that...the main thing I'm curious about is what kinds of titles they'll look into, as I already have a heavy PS2 library.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Skylock00

The main theory I've heard is that Sony would do something where they make specific emulators for each game they release to ensure compatibility, or something along the lines of that...the main thing I'm curious about is what kinds of titles they'll look into, as I already have a heavy PS2 library.

They'll probably put a focus on the systems big titles first, sort of like what Microsoft did with the 360s emulation. After that, I don't know. Though I would think that emulation of smaller, more obscure titles would be a good route to go.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Teufelhuhn

Emulating the Emotion Engine was tough, Sony didn't even file the patent on it until three months ago. Given from how its supposed to work, it would tax the ps3 much more by forcing it to run a program overlay on top of running the read/write content completely from the PS3's memory. Making the emulator and the source come from the same place helps, but even the PS3 has limited processing power to work around all the hiccups and normal errors that occured in PS2 games.

Given how many PS2 games used tricks to stand out graphically/technically and how many times a hardware update changes the performance of even PS1 titles, I would say the real hurdle is working the system down, starting with making the Final Fantasies and Metal Gear Solids run, then tinkering to get titles like R&C or GTA fully compliant, finally making sure that updating other components (ala system updates) would not break the emulator itself. Sony already had to make consessions when they developed the first ps3 models, which is why their own website ranks the playability of titles and possible bypasses.

Getting the emulator stable enough for commercial use is going to be tough, since the ps3 was never designed with that in mind. This is why they've allowed companies like Capcom to do their own porting with titles like MvC2 and Sheep. Tackling the 128 bit monster themselves is tougher, which is why I'm sure Sony notified Sega about their intentions. After all, if Sega helped sony with PS2 emulation, why not allow them to slip in the Dreamcast architecture as well?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
What exactly is this "import store" we are talking about?
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I want Saturn games too....

ESPECIALLY Shining Force 3. ****ing cliff hanger that still drives me nuts.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Forget PS2 emulation or the magic wand, just create a subtitle pack and rework the menus so a huge chunk of the Japanese PS2 library can be released worldwide. I don't see why anyone would rebuy PS2 titles since they sold so abundantly, but I suppose there are those few who skipped the 2 spot and jumped directly into next-gen. Anyways, Yakuza 3 sounds good, but having most Japanese titles unlocked (so to speak) sounds wholesome with 6 grains of awesome and 8 essential heck yes!
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rragnaar
What exactly is this "import store" we are talking about?Articuno76
It is something that doesn't exist yet, but I imagine it will be a store for things like Yakuza 3, Afrika, Demon's Souls and Aquanaut's Holiday where the original Japanese publisher has been wary of releasing it in the states because they don't want to spend the money localizing a game that will probably be a commercial failure. Right now Sony insists that any title released on a disc in the US be completely in English, including the voicework, and for most Japanese publishers, they see it as too big of a risk. From what what I understand, this import store would allow them to release a game with English subtitles on PSN, which is a lot cheaper than hiring voice actors and whatnot.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#15 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

What exactly is this "import store" we are talking about?Articuno76

From the sounds of it, it would basically allow users to buy games unreleased outside Japan (such as the aforementioned Yakuza 3) via download on the PlayStation Network Store in regions that said game has not been released in.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
I want the Import Store to be a reality now, so I can get both Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar
I want the Import Store to be a reality now, so I can get both Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday. SteelAttack
Same here. I've been eyeing those games for a long time.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]I want the Import Store to be a reality now, so I can get both Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday. rragnaar

I said I made a japanese PSN account to get the NGSigma 2 demo, but in reality, I made it just to get the Afrika dynamic theme.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="SteelAttack"]I want the Import Store to be a reality now, so I can get both Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday. SteelAttack

I said I made a japanese PSN account to get the NGSigma 2 demo, but in reality, I made it just to get the Afrika dynamic theme.

That theme is gorgeous. From what I've seen, it is a lot better than any of the themes that cost money.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="rragnaar"] That theme is gorgeous. From what I've seen, it is a lot better than any of the themes that cost money.

It's a kickass theme to leave the system idle while you grab some food or check other stuff. My daughters love it.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Forget PS2 emulation or the magic wand, just create a subtitle pack and rework the menus so a huge chunk of the Japanese PS2 library can be released worldwide. I don't see why anyone would rebuy PS2 titles since they sold so abundantly, but I suppose there are those few who skipped the 2 spot and jumped directly into next-gen. jjtiebuckle

Direct translations with Japanese characters left over made development time short and cheap, sadly those games needed exclusive deals and false promises to even sell. Atlus did it with Kartia and Enix with DW7, popular Japanese games that couldn't even sell 100k, much less turn a profit.

Atlus won't even touch the Megami Tensei games already on Wii Virtual Console, the only reason is lack of profit. And we saw how S-E turned the FFIV sequel into a $30 Wii title. Companies can't afford it otherwise.

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#22 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"][QUOTE="rragnaar"] Same here. I've been eyeing those games for a long time.rragnaar

That theme is gorgeous. From what I've seen, it is a lot better than any of the themes that cost money.

It looks great. The only complaint is that due to the colors used and where they're used, I can't read the freaking text on the XMB. Then again, I think most themes have that issue and I consider them to be unusable, so maybe I'm more picky. But on that Afrika one, I mean it's white on white.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
If this is true, I'd love to pick up Cannon Spike again.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="SteelAttack"] I said I made a japanese PSN account to get the NGSigma 2 demo, but in reality, I made it just to get the Afrika dynamic theme. argianas

It looks great. The only complaint is that due to the colors used and where they're used, I can't read the freaking text on the XMB. Then again, I think most themes have that issue and I consider them to be unusable, so maybe I'm more picky. But on that Afrika one, I mean it's white on white.

If you go into theme settings and lower the brightness down to -1 or -2, it should be perfectly legible. That's what I did anyway.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

lol great thread title rag. Sega leaks Sony news.lol

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 argianas

[QUOTE="argianas"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"] That theme is gorgeous. From what I've seen, it is a lot better than any of the themes that cost money.rragnaar

If you go into theme settings and lower the brightness down to -1 or -2, it should be perfectly legible. That's what I did anyway.

I'll look into it next time I turn on my PS3, but my HDTV is CRT and tends to be a lot darker than LCD/etc. TV's that companies test on. I tend to have to jack up the brightness to make things what they were intended. And you know the "slide the brightness bar until you can see the gray logo on the black background" that some games have? Can't see it on max brightness on some games (like Dead Space).

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="argianas"]

argianas

I'll look into it next time I turn on my PS3, but my HDTV is CRT and tends to be a lot darker than LCD/etc. TV's that companies test on. I tend to have to jack up the brightness to make things what they were intended. And you know the "slide the brightness bar until you can see the gray logo on the black background" that some games have? Can't see it on max brightness on some games (like Dead Space).

I've always loved the look of HD CRTs. My LCD doesn't look bad, but it just can't display black to save its life. The best it can do is a really dark grey.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 argianas

I've always loved the look of HD CRTs. My LCD doesn't look bad, but it just can't display black to save its life. The best it can do is a really dark grey.rragnaar

That it can do, but I think developers program assuming that TV's can't show real black. I can see some differences between the very dark grays in shadows on demo units at stores, but at home things can become a black blur and I'll need to jack up my TV's brightness to see where the hell a building's walls are.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I've always loved the look of HD CRTs. My LCD doesn't look bad, but it just can't display black to save its life. The best it can do is a really dark grey.argianas

That it can do, but I think developers program assuming that TV's can't show real black. I can see some differences between the very dark grays in shadows on demo units at stores, but at home things can become a black blur and I'll need to jack up my TV's brightness to see where the hell a building's walls are.

That would be frustrating for sure. I suppose one of these days I need to get a plasma now that burn-in isn't a problem for games anymore.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I've always loved the look of HD CRTs. My LCD doesn't look bad, but it just can't display black to save its life. The best it can do is a really dark grey.argianas

I've only really had that problem with GTA4, but it was annoying as heck.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#31 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

[QUOTE="argianas"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I've always loved the look of HD CRTs. My LCD doesn't look bad, but it just can't display black to save its life. The best it can do is a really dark grey.rragnaar

That would be frustrating for sure. I suppose one of these days I need to get a plasma now that burn-in isn't a problem for games anymore.

Me too, plasma is gorgeous. I'm still happy with my current TV, though.

I'm excited about the prospect of Dreamcast games on PSN. Hopefully certain games will have online play added to them.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

Shenmue on PSN!? I would so love this if this happened. I was contemplating whether torepurchase a Dreamcast just torepurchase the game again but this might hold me off on this decision.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Hopefully something is said at TGS.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Sony is also looking at PS2 emulation and wants to be able to sell every PS2 game on the PSN store.rragnaar

Conflicts a bit with the God of War collection in my opinion. :o