heljar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 heljar75
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts

I just finished one playthrough of the RE2 remake. I started with Claire and played it through the end and started a second run with Chris's point of view until the end. It was fun but I was disappointed with the two scenarios. In the original I remember the two stories was very intertwined. I remember the second scenario was affected by what happened in the first. You could close the shutters in the first run and they were closed for the second run. You could not pick up objects and they were available for the second person when he/she arrived. Now they seem more like separate stories. Tyrant was killed twice, once for each run and had to kill William twice and he killed Annette by throwing he against a wall, twice. And I had to fight him in the same room where he completely destroyed everything around him. Not to mention I had to extinguish the flames from the crashed helicopter twice. When they managed to do this so good 20 years ago, why can't they manage it today? It was a fun replay, but these things annoyed me.

pottt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By pottt
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

But don't the other thing is still in these re-make game?

heljar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 heljar75

@pottt: What do you mean?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@heljar75: I've done Leon A and Claire B on Hardcore and while you bring up an interesting point on the connected playthroughs in the original, I honestly didn't miss it. Resident Evil has always been about thinking ahead, and while two campaigns linked does that, I think overall this remakes experience pushes that further without the gimmick and puts a better use and purpose towards the 2nd playthrough overall.

Ammo is non existent, each zombie is a serious threat, the knife is finally balanced, and Lickers expect you to play it smart. This game felt they put effort and resources in the right areas to make a real modern Survival Horror experience in 2019_

It's worth noting despite that the original games scenarios was very inconsistencies despite the linked scenerios, and overall less variety than this version for overall changes. In the original game the Tyrant was exclusive to the Scenario B playthroughs only and that backscratchingly didn't make sense. Whether in this game he's set available from the start of the police station in 2nd playthough, as his arrival fits the context of when the fire is put out.

2nd playthrough in the remake outside those differences is the challenge run, moves items, changes the pacing, and adds the true last boss G5. The story differences are few but seem more well thoughtout than the original. Though the most worthy differences is how Claire and Leon make route towards the police station.

Time and resources for this Remake project was put towards a lot of the quality improvements like better A.I., weapon balance usefulness, map layouts, Tyrant being savage especially in the Police Station, and superior puzzles. Boss battles are also a huge improvement over the ones from the original game.

The remake was handled very differently to the Gamecube entry, and if nothing for gameplay felt like a Resident Evil greatest hits, it took the best aspects from the entire franchise and I commend them for that. And if nothing for those that crave the original, it still exists and accessible on most platforms.

Now just to list some of the issues I found in the Remake-

• Removing spiders, crows, giant moth, and super zombie Brad Vickers (I'm aware of the poster in 2nd playthrough) was felt. I expected more creatures like in the original concepts. But seems they put that budget towards adding as many different kinds of zombies as possible. If anything I assume they're saving that for Nemesis.
  • Tyrant in the Police Station, while a threat, is at times really stupid. I've had sections in which he clearly saw me and walked on as though I wasn't in the room, this was Hardcore mode as well so it's clearly an A.I. issue.
  • Critical for headshots is some cheap RNG. Which I know came from the Molded in Resident Evil VII but its felt more painful here. Headshots are overall more worthless than shooting off a leg now which is usually guaranteed on a third shot.

Other than that I really think this game is superior than the original Resident Evil 2. And yet it's not something I can call the definitive edition to Resi2, as it's not even close to being the same game.

heljar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 heljar75

@RSM-HQ: It shouldn't be too difficult to have the plot be more consistent. It's not like it was very important to repeat the same puzzles and boss fights twice. It would be better just to have the other character come upon the aftermath of the various William fights instead of repeating it again. It just seems weird that he/she would end up in the same fights over again with the stages reset. And we shouldn't need to to the same puzzles twice. It was just a boring repeat. But I guess I'm nitpicking.

I really hope for a Nemesis remake. I got a craving replaying that game after RE2.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RSM-HQ
@heljar75 said:

I really hope for a Nemesis remake. I got a craving replaying that game after RE2.

Me also, Nemesis has so many possibilities with the stalking A.I. improvements.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I haven't finish the game yet, I like it but I also have a stress/anxiety problem with it. So I'm taking my sweet time with it. Am it the first encounter with Mr.X after I extenguish the helecopter.

I think they really listened to their fans. I remember playing the original 1-2 and Nemesis while it wasn't scary it was always tense because you may need some ammo and all that.

Now it is really tense and you feel like you are in deep shit. Which wasn't really the case since RE4.

With REVII and this one, they are really on the right track after so long of doing stupid stuff. Even Devil May Cry look promising after the awful 4 and the reboot.

I'm impress RE2R will probably be the game of the year.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Not too fussed about the zapper system.

My main worry here was that they would pull a Revelations where you randomly hop from one character to another in fragmented story-telling trying to be clever, where it just turns into a convoluted mess.

Thankfully it sticks very close to Resident Evil 2. Leons = innocent hearted police man who turns a questionably hot spy though the power of love and goodyness. And Clair, essentially a big sister story, taking the place of a mediocre mother, who redeems herself.

Simple, easy to follow stuff. With a suitable amount of cutscenes that don't overstay their welcome and service the game rather than the game servicing them.

I also didn't notice a single QTE or forced slow walking either, two massive pet hates

Overall aside from some really tiny nit-picks it's an astounding game with lots of content.

And by content, we aren't talking about Assassins Creed repetitive mind numbing copy paste, the game feels crafted with passion from people who actually saw it as more than a sterile product, you feel the enthusiasm and vision.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RSM-HQ
@uninspiredcup said:

I also didn't notice a single QTE or forced slow walking either, two massive pet hates

Same. Seems the writers and animators get a lot more say in many gaming projects, glad it wasn't really an issue here.

Clean, brief cutscenes and in-game conversations that the player still has complete control over, only time it gets a little in the players face is transition from Police Station to the Sewers with Leon in both runs.

Even then it's a great game I can see myself replaying again and again. Ghost Survivors is very anticipated.