Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed by Capcom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-2-remake-confirmed/1100-6429698/

It looks like Capcom has decided to go "all in" on a Resident Evil 2 remake. I'm a little surprised by this and I'm very curious to see exactly what kind of game they make out of it. Resident Evil 1's remake was a cool game when it came out on the Gamecube, and the PC version is even better, but it carries forward pretty much all the gaming anachronisms that made people complain about the earlier RE games. I beat it gladly on GC but replaying the PC version again was a bit rough.

RE2 was my favorite of the series, but I'm not sure what I'd like to see in an update. Obviously the A/B scenario mechanism I'd love to see come forward, but fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backdrops, and extremely limited inventory I'm not as sure I'd welcome.

Thoughts?

-Byshop

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

If it will be as RE1 Remake, improved graphics with extras, slight different events and new paths then that I would welcome.

If it will have RE6 controls, and coop modes and ridiculous hollywood cutscenes, then no thanks.

Limited inventory is not really a bad thing, it was meant to be a survival horror game, taking that off changes the whole aspect. (of course it's not a survival horror game anymore)

This is the gen of remakes and HD ports, let's stop being creative & make money!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

This is the new normal for Capcom as they announced earlier this year that they are focusing on their previous products for the foreseeable future.

I might play it if it is on the PS4. RE4 is excellent and RE5 is great.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I get why people dislike the fixed camera angles and how clunky the controllers get as a result. Then again the fixed Camera angles ensures you don't always see what is infront of you or coming behind you, creating a sense of tension in it's own right. Having the ability to turn the camera fully around so you can look around corners and such does remove the tension of processing into the "unknown".

The limited Inventory makes sense from a realistic standpoint and considering it's about Survival then limited resources makes it more tense, had you been able to carry two handguns, a shotgun, grenade launcher and nearly thousands of rounds for them all at the same time then the danger is gone. Will agree that they could implement a Keychain for the keys you find so to not have it take up inventory space from other things that's larger like medallions or gems.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm not surprised at all. Capcom isn't the giant they use to be, they have no choice but to capitalize off the HD remake craze.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

This is fantastic news, I've been wanting this to happen for the longest time.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

I'm very happy for this, Resident Evils are some of my favourite games :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

Played RE2 on the PS1 for years. I can appreciate the limitations RE1 had, but RE2 had better scenery and more weapons to defend yourself with. I hope RE2 gets to be a bit longer cause compared to RE1, it's a tad short.

Azure64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Azure64bit
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Let's hope Capcom doesn't screw it up.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@MarcRecon said:

I'm not surprised at all. Capcom isn't the giant they use to be, they have no choice but to capitalize off the HD remake craze.

I am surprised by this move because this is a game they actually have to "make". All the previous re-releases and rehashes were easy compared to what they are talking about doing here. RE Veronica/RE4 and up are all 3D games to start with. Re-releasing these is comparatively easy. That's not to say it still doesn't take a ton of work, but the work is closer to the work done for a port.

When RE1 was remade, they still were limited by the technology available at the time. They made a design/artistic choice to stick with pre-rendered backdrops and as a result they made one of the best looking games made to date. Remakes were also pretty popular back then. The recent re-releases of these remakes were also comparatively easy for them to do because again it's basically a port.

To do an RE2 remake -today- would mean starting from scratch again, only in an era where they aren't necessarily limited by the technology. They could make it a full 3D game without taking the big graphical hit the RE1 remake would have at the time. I'm very curious to see what direction they take this because frankly it could go a lot of different ways.

-Byshop

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

@Byshop said:
@MarcRecon said:

I am surprised by this move because this is a game they actually have to "make". All the previous re-releases and rehashes were easy compared to what they are talking about doing here. RE Veronica/RE4 and up are all 3D games to start with. Re-releasing these is comparatively easy. That's not to say it still doesn't take a ton of work, but the work is closer to the work done for a port.

When RE1 was remade, they still were limited by the technology available at the time. They made a design/artistic choice to stick with pre-rendered backdrops and as a result they made one of the best looking games made to date. Remakes were also pretty popular back then. The recent re-releases of these remakes were also comparatively easy for them to do because again it's basically a port.

To do an RE2 remake -today- would mean starting from scratch again, only in an era where they aren't necessarily limited by the technology. They could make it a full 3D game without taking the big graphical hit the RE1 remake would have at the time. I'm very curious to see what direction they take this because frankly it could go a lot of different ways.

-Byshop

I hope they don't do this but it's possible they will use assets from The Darkside Chronicles. I can't say I'd be completely surprised since Capcom recycles assets in a lot of their games. Obviously they would have to touch up textures and introduce them into a new engine for it to stand with current gen tech.
Lots of questions do remain though. I would be delighted if they brought back Alyson Court to voice Claire considering her absence in Revelations 2.

I hope the remake is much like the REmake for Gamecube. I want the visuals to be modern but the gameplay to remain the same with some minor additions and adjustments to keep us on our toes.

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

What game is your avatar @Byshop? I loved that game back in the day. Did you ever play Gizmos and Gadgets? Great fun when I was a kid.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@tatman87 said:

I hope they don't do this but it's possible they will use assets from The Darkside Chronicles. I can't say I'd be completely surprised since Capcom recycles assets in a lot of their games. Obviously they would have to touch up textures and introduce them into a new engine for it to stand with current gen tech.

Lots of questions do remain though. I would be delighted if they brought back Alyson Court to voice Claire considering her absence in Revelations 2.

I hope the remake is much like the REmake for Gamecube. I want the visuals to be modern but the gameplay to remain the same with some minor additions and adjustments to keep us on our toes.

I have mixed feelings about fixed camera angles these days. It made sense at the time, and some of the games that were transitioning into 3D used similar techniques as well (like MGS2 and Silent Hill) where even though the camera -could- move the angle of the camera was often determined by where you were or what room. Going back and even playing MGS2's HD remaster these days was pretty painful.

@fatalscorpion said:

What game is your avatar @Byshop? I loved that game back in the day. Did you ever play Gizmos and Gadgets? Great fun when I was a kid.

I made it by taking screen grabs from SkiFree. Had to get eaten about a dozen times to get all the frames.

-Byshop

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

@Byshop I have mixed feelings about fixed camera angles these days. It made sense at the time, and some of the games that were transitioning into 3D used similar techniques as well (like MGS2 and Silent Hill) where even though the camera -could- move the angle of the camera was often determined by where you were or what room. Going back and even playing MGS2's HD remaster these days was pretty painful.

I think the right thing for Capcom to do is make an options setting for static/OTS camera angles to please fans of both styles. I really want to get my hands on Rod Lima's RE2 remake (which looks like a finished product as far as I can tell) but he's not releasing it to the public for legal precautions.

Loading Video...