Red Dead Redemption - Worst Game Ever?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

So I tried to play RDR over the past few days and it was one of the worst experiences of my gaming life. I know this game is revered by a lot of people but I am sure as hell not seeing it.

My first problem was with the story and characters. The story - find and kill some guy. Must have taken Benzies and Houser all night to come up with that one. And the characters that never shut up - especially Irish. By the last time I saw him I wanted to punch through my TV screen to get to him.

Second is that it's buggy as hell - your horse never goes in the direction you want. The camera keeps falling through the ground and during my last session the famous Mexico sequence was ruined when the geometry decided to dump me and my horse into a river. The hit detection on enemies is atrocious and during my last reload, the game crashed altogether.

Which brings me to the third thing. Death. Every death dumps you back halfway across the map to wherever your 'home' happens to be. I haven't played a game that did that since GTAIII in 2001.

I hate this game with a passion and will be forever remembered as a BLIGHT on my otherwise blissful gaming library. Rot in hell RDR! You are GARBAGE!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

lol Oh internet hyperbole, never change.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Westerns typically do not have super complicated stories. I liked shooting people with guns....

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

I agree that the game is bit over hyped.

Good game but not a masterpiece.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

The bait is real_

But seriously. Do people know what a bad game is?

I'm going to be the rare one, and state Red Dead Redemption did not impress me really. Just GTA with cowboys. .

But with games like Superman 64, Duke Nukem Forever, Mighty No.9, 90% of Sonic games, and Umbrella Corps you'd be a Tryhard to think this is "GARBAGE".

And don't feed me the 'opinions' card either. I'm not buying it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Get good.

Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Todd
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Just GTA with cowboys. .

Everything I ever wanted in a video game.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Guess it wasn't you cup of tea.

Personally I think it's one of the few Western themed games out there that's actually good.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Sadly there are not a lot of options in the Western-themed department.

Call of Juarez was pretty good, but not anything like Red Dead Redemption.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

It was one of my favorite games last gen, reviewed great, and has a legion of diehard fans...but yeah sure worst game ever. Trolls are getting really desperate lately.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I can't agree with you buddy. I like it quiet a lot. And I played the ugly ps3 version before the one I'm playing right now. This one and Gun are the only westerners that I've enjoyed so much.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
@vespuche said:

Playing it for the second time now, I actually agree. It's not as mind blowingly awesome as I remembered it to be when it first came out... still a great game however. And it's ridiculous to say it's the worst game ever.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@vespuche said:

Playing it for the second time now, I actually agree. It's not as mind blowingly awesome as I remembered it to be when it first came out... still a great game however. And it's ridiculous to say it's the worst game ever.

i had a feeling this might be the case. memories over time tend to filter out the bad stuff - the dull as dish water opening couple of hours, the clunky gun play / cover controls, dying as soon as you dip a toe into water, fumbly horse riding, the sprinting controls, the camp site saving system, the stagnation of the mission variety / story about a third of the way in, the contradictions in what marston says and does etc etc.

of course these are subjective observations and i have really fond memories of the game from back in the day - the gorgeous vistas / lighting, marston, the controversial ending, some great authentic wild west missions etc. but this is a problem with remasters - sometimes games are best left in the past and best experienced only at the point in time they're released

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#14 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

You're entitled to your opinion and such. That said, in my opinion, claiming RDR to be the "worst game ever" is over-exaggerated nonsense. I had a few annoyances with the game, but all in all I thought it was really well put together. I can understand it not being quite as great as a lot of people make it out to be. But you're letting your frustration get to you if you genuinely think it's one of the worst games you've ever played. Slow down, take it easy, and at least finish the game before flaunting your opinion on it. And I'm making an assumption that you haven't finished it because you obviously lack patience, at least when it comes to this game.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I agree the story in this game is terrible. You can play the game as much as you want but the suck story is never going to get any better.

I will say that there were a few funny moments in Undead Nightmare - an expansion unafraid to not take itself so seriously. Which is good imo because taking the main story in RDR seriously is painful at the best of times.

The gameplay itself was decent - still for me this game turned out to be a major disappointment, just like GTA 5 did. And Max Payne 3. I think that, lately, the stories in Rockstar games are getting to be worse and worse.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Interesting. I never played it, because I'm not a big Western buff - a number of comments in this thread suggest to me that I needn't bother (even if it's clearly not ACTUALLY the "worst" game ever)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#17 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@xantufrog: its much better than people say, I believe. The story isn't actually as simple as they're making it to be, and the gameplay, while not exceptional, really makes you feel like a badass gunslinger.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@xantufrog: its much better than people say, I believe. The story isn't actually as simple as they're making it to be, and the gameplay, while not exceptional, really makes you feel like a badass gunslinger.

I don't think it's great because if you break it down, like GTAIV, it does everything alright.

The 3rd person shooting has been done better in many games with superior A.I. Vanquish, Uncharted 2, Gears of War. It still does a 'good' job though, it just doesn't do an amazing job.

As for openworld randomness, this is what Rockstar did questionably best, in a sense, It's definitely the most polished Sandbox of its time.However, it also lacks the varity games such as developer Bethesda has brought us with FO3 and Oblivion. So it goes into quality> quantity. If you wanted a more 'do anything' game? RDR won't be the best option.

And as for story, I thought it was pretty good. But a story doesn't carry a game for me so the above is more a factor.

It's a good polished Sandbox shooter. But not really more than that. It's not a revolutionary game experience, least not for me.

If you like or adore the Western themes however? This is your best option. Kinda how God of War is the best game series for the Greek Mythology theme fix.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

In a world where games like Ride to Hell exist, there's no way RDR can be called worst game ever.

Definitely overrated though. Couldn't for the life of me understand all the hype when I played it. Not a bad game, and certainly well made, but really dull at points with unfocused writing.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

nope

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Yeah, the title of "Worst Game Ever" is actually quite an accomplishment. RDR isn't perfect (no game is) and it may or may not resonate with any individual gamer over it's sister series GTA, but a game doesn't reach the sort of sales numbers and popularity RDR reaches without doing a lot of things right.

-Byshop

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Red Dead Redemption is not even remotely the worst game I've played. However, it's a terrible game, and I don't see why it got any praise when it does almost everything wrong. Controls are clunky and obnoxious. Combat is all bullet time so there's no challenge and it's just something you do. The story is amazingly horrible and populated with blatant cardboard cutouts, but that's not out of the ordinary for Rockstar, all their stories are horrible.

I would, however, state with confidence that RDR is one of the most overrated games I've played. I can't imagine why this game has such a high metacritic score when it has such garbage mechanics across the board and when it's such a boring, empty game with such horribly tedious open world activities. It is the worst AAA open world game I've played by a mile.

I would give it a 4 / 10, personally. It's not worth playing.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Some guy said the same thing about Overwatch earlier and wrote a whole tl;dr thing explaining why. I get it, you didn't like the game and pointed out all it's flaws, but it's far from the WORST GAME ever. RdR is the same, it ain't perfect for sure, but it ain't what you make it out to be OP.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2:

Did you play this on a crappy PC or a horribly used copy? Yeesh!! I never had any of those glitches at all when I play it! Maybe you're playing RDR on Xbox One BC? I wouldn't be surprised if BC had issues like that. 360 had some BC glitches on certain games too but generally, these glitches don't exist in a normal version of the game.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

I saw lots of bugs in RDR in PS3. It was a very clunky and ugly game with terrible performance.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@vespuche said:

i had a feeling this might be the case. memories over time tend to filter out the bad stuff - the dull as dish water opening couple of hours, the clunky gun play / cover controls, dying as soon as you dip a toe into water, fumbly horse riding, the sprinting controls, the camp site saving system, the stagnation of the mission variety / story about a third of the way in, the contradictions in what marston says and does etc etc.

of course these are subjective observations and i have really fond memories of the game from back in the day - the gorgeous vistas / lighting, marston, the controversial ending, some great authentic wild west missions etc. but this is a problem with remasters - sometimes games are best left in the past and best experienced only at the point in time they're released

Yeah these are some the finer annoying details of the game that I didn't remember... definitely has some things that need fixing for a sequel.

But yeah, it does have some pretty awesome aspects too.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Marsten: "So, I'm looking for my old partner in crime, Bill Williamson."

NPC: "Ah Mr. Marston, only if you aid me first."

Marsten: "Alright, I helped. Where's Williamson?"

NPC: "Hombre, you got a lot to learn....ride with me."

Marsten: *kills the entire population of Mexico single-handedly* "Are you going to tell me where Williamson is now??"

NPC: "Compadre, viva la MEXICO!! Arriba!!! Arriba!!" *finally gives tiny progress towards goal.*

(repeat ad nauseam for 40 hours).

I've started playing this again with the Bone's BC, and have come to remember why I could never finish it my first time through. The Housers have zero understanding on how to properly pace a narrative within an interactive medium. It's not fun to have to do 10 "story" missions before any actual story progress is seen. It's not story missions, it's errands to GET to the fucking story. It's not intertwined with the missions, and as a consequence there's no momentum, which leads to a lose of desire to continue. Like Mexico. You get pulled into this huge revolution and the main narrative is put on the back burner and mentioned only in slight passing on occasion to remind you, "Oh yea, there's actually a fucking POINT to all of this superfluous nonsense" while you run errands.

This is the worst possible means of retaining interest. RDR may in fact have a good story, but I've yet to see it through as the execution of it is rubbish. Give a dog a bone. There needs to be significant, tangible advancement towards the main goal interspersed after every 2-3 main missions, not have it come back into focus after 10-15. I struggle to continue as I loathe the slog it is to get to the meat. This is not helped by the poor and over-the top characterization and the repetitive mission designs (go here, shoot these guys).

RDR's world is amazing in its detail, but the implementation of gameplay into the overlying narrative is amateurish at best. R* needs to learn how to make the plot intrinsic to the main missions and not ancillary to it. This is by far my biggest criticism of RDR and if it were fixed would skyrocket it to one of my favorite games ever.

As it stands now though, a 7/10.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I find this thread horrifying. It's one of my favorite games of all time. I did not find it to be buggy at all. And I enjoyed the story quite a bit.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

I'm having the exact opposite reaction. Playing it again on Xbox One BC, it seems I've forgotten how awesome it actually is. It has a massive beautiful open world (which is seriously amazing considering the tech it was made on), it has great shooting with great enemy reactions and physics, it has loads of horse types, a full hunting system, lots of different weapons, great controls, etc. I argued to my girlfriend that you could even convince someone that it's a current gen game.

The story is basic and does take a while to progress, but I find the characters and missions to be interesting enough that I don't mind it at all. I've yet to run into a single bug(with cameras, loading, crashing, anything), and the horse controls are actually the best in any game, at least IMO. The horse controls as a horse should, and is a good balance of fun and realism. It's also a nice touch that the horse has some real AI and thoughts of it's own that keep it from doing stupid things. Hit detection is fine for me, no issue hitting people here.

Can't say I've had a similar experience at all, Red Dead will always be a 9/10 game for me.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts

Dude what is wrong with you.

I'm not even a fan of the game but worst game ever? Come on.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@xantufrog: I would definitely put it in the high 80's to low 90's scoring range personally, and I do feel it is a game everyone should at least try. If you have a PS3, 360 or X1 and a friend with the disc, I recommend at the very least borrowing it and giving the game a good 3-5 hours. It's an experience that the majority of gamers should try.

Also, this seems like a thread that should be in System Wars. Trash like this doesn't belong in Games Discussion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@suicidesn0wman: the fact starshine hasn't been back since the op pretty much confirms this thread was just what we english call a wind up

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Well... it's a Rockstar game. It's not going to be bug free. I encountered some of the same geographical glitches you did, and it ruined my enjoyment for that one mission. However, I found the sum of its parts to be greater than its technical shortcomings, and Undead Nightmare was quite a bit of fun.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I wasn't impressed with RDR. I played through maybe a quarter of the game and it was just stale. I gave it to my younger brother who played it some, but I'm not sure if he ever got through the game either.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Someone's begging for some attention.

It's not a particularly challenging game, nor is it better than the sum of it's parts... but it's one of the few extremely well-made and very well-toned Western games in existence. It nails the Spaghetti Western atmosphere perfectly.

But I guess when you express an exaggerated opinion on the internet, it makes you stand out.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Starshine_M2A2

@suicidesn0wman: Sorry, do explain in what way my opinion on RDR equates to 'trash'...

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: Your title and topic are sensationalized to the point that all believability was thrown out the window before clicking on the link to enter the thread. Much like 50% of the posts in system wars, where the 'opinion' is so outrageous that even the people who you are attempting to cater to disagree with your point. It's a desperate cry for attention that otherwise would have been ignored.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@suicidesn0wman: Not really. I just despise RDR. Everything I said about it in my post, I firmly believe or I wouldn't have said it. If you're unable to deal with the idea that someone might not like the same games as you or may have an opinion that differs from the masses, that's on you. But please don't call it trash - it's offensive, childish and highlights your inability to debate, you're happier to just dismiss.

Also, how does this post belong on System Wars? I wasn't talking about what platform it's on, my problems are with the game itself. Hence me posting this under GAME DISCUSSION....

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

OP i do agree i think the games really overrated. Not the worst game ever though, not even close.

I really hated the controls also for the horse riding. Also the framerate was really bad, reminded me of the sluggish gameplay i had in GTA 4. The bad framerate also made aiming not fun, it shows you why they had to add bullet time effect to make the gunplay at least somewhat possible.

Its too bad there was never a PC version, im sure i would have liked it 10x more. Just for the unlocked framerates and mouse aiming alone.

Its a game i played once, got through it quickly luckily and never going to play it again unless they release a good PC version.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Starshine_M2A2

@Yams1980: Well I refuse to call the likes of Ride to Hell or Big Rigs the worst games ever because I haven't played them - so for all I know, they could appeal to some twisted sense of humour I have. At the moment, out of all the games I HAVE played, RDR ranks as the very worst.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: I'm going to assume that RDR is the only game you've played then. I'm not going to hale it as the best game ever, because it's not, but it is FAR from the worst.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@spike6958: You assume incorrectly....

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Nice title. Didn't even bother to read what you wrote.

It may not be for everyone, but worst ever? Guaranteed way to get people spitting on your face.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

8.5/9 out of 10 in my book

Pros:

• Captured the western feel
  • Great shooting mechanics
  • Nice scenery, great graphics for the time
  • Funny dialogue
  • Awesome expansion
  • Interesting enough story

Cons:

• Clunky movement controls (Marston controls like a tank)
  • Repetitive gameplay mechanics
  • Not a lot to do in the world
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

@groowagon: What are you doing replying if you haven't even read my post. You don't even know what I'm talking about... Idiot

LOL

I was replying to the topic title. "idiot". Nice! You sound like a winner.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: Gaming is perceptive based on WHEN you play them and personal preference. Maybe you just waited too long and it is a little too old for you to truly appreciate now.

I thought Red Dead was a great game personally. Though I'm not into the Western setting and didn't like a lot of the like horse mechanics and things. Wished I was back in GTA driving cars by the end of it.

But the story was good, the characters were good and the ending was AWESOME. One of the few times I've had a genuine emotional reaction to characters. I didn't even get an emotional attachment to The Last of Us except for the prologue.

I'd say it is probably a bit overrated but it is still a very worthy game and one that I think everyone should at least try. Especially now it is cheap as all hell on last gen.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: I guess you hate GTA games as well

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Starshine_M2A2

@PredatorRules: Would that be some kind of crime?