Random Legacy Platform Gaming Thoughts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Silpheed is a decent game. I also have that game for Playstation 2. Sometimes you can find hidden treasures while seaching for games. There is also a version of silpheed for the Xbox 360. Silpheed is an old school series. Going back to before the 8-bit generation. Systems like Intellivision, Atari 400, commodore 64, atari 2600 featured silpheed. I had the original cartridge.

So when I saw PS2 version of silpheed I bought it. A shoot them up that I enjoyed. So glad someone else discovered this game.

So my Random legacy gaming moment is "When seaching for Games, Upon discovering a relatively inexpensive game Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised"

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#52 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Silpheed is a decent game. I also have that game for Playstation 2. Sometimes you can find hidden treasures while seaching for games. There is also a version of silpheed for the Xbox 360. Silpheed is an old school series. Going back to before the 8-bit generation. Systems like Intellivision, Atari 400, commodore 64, atari 2600 featured silpheed. I had the original cartridge.

So when I saw PS2 version of silpheed I bought it. A shoot them up that I enjoyed. So glad someone else discovered this game.

So my Random legacy gaming moment is "When seaching for Games, Upon discovering a relatively inexpensive game Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised"

Megavideogamer

For sure. Silpheed is an awesome shmup and worth for any fan of the genre to add to their collection. Fantastic visuals and great gameplay. And I picked it up for like $1 used at GameStop so it's also dirt-cheap!

Lordofinternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lordofinternet
Member since 2012 • 218 Posts

[QUOTE="Lordofinternet"]I have to wonder how they goofed on the CD-I, which is clearly more powerful then every other 4th gen sans maybe the PC at the time, with the ability to use pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds, and still have 2D slightly worse than the Genesis in most of its games. Heck, the Zelda games are probably in the top 10 best graphics on the thing not FMV.

I also have to wonder why the N64 had no soundchip making it so virtually every console 5th gen had better sound and Cpu usage. A basic soundchip that the SNES had with slight enhancements would have made a large difference.

Also for those thinking that the Dreamcast Controller is actually good, I have to ask you why, I have seen you guys speak of how you think its great, but most games on the DC have some annoying problems because of it, camera being the second biggest issue.Jag85

The Dreamcast controller was very progressive for its time, though it may not have aged all that well today. What made the DC controller stand out at the time was its innovation. It was the first game controller with analogue shoulder buttons, which has since been imitated by nearly every controller since. It was also the first game controller with a screen on it, anticipating the Wii U by well over a decade. The DC controller layout itself also became the basis for the Xbox controllers. In other words, the DC controller was a pretty important evolution of game controller design.

The DC controller's only real flaw was the lack of a second analog stick, but you have to keep in mind that the FPS genre wasn't all that popular on consoles at the time, and the only ones that were popular (GoldenEye and Perfect Dark) could be played with a single analog stick. A second analog stick wasn't all that necessary at the time, so it wasn't a deal-breaker at all for most gamers back then.

I sometimes wonder about why Dragon Quest is completely ignored outside Japan and in certain parts of japan. It's basically first person final fantasy with more elements and Final Fantasy rakes in the dough. Could it be outside japan DQ1-4 were getting stable attention because it didn't become heavily anime based? Ok that might make sense in game, but then why did Square skip out on certain FF and DQ games 3rd and 4th gen? Heck they released Chrono Trigger, which had less of a chance then a FF or DQ game at that time of hitting big. I wonder what the excuse was?Lordofinternet

There were other key differences between FF and DQ. One such difference was the interface: In DQ, you always had to bring up a menu to talk to people or examine for items, whereas in FF it was more user-friendly, with just a single button that does everything. But the big differences mainly started to appear with FF IV: The presentation in FF began looking more colourful, the battles started becoming Active Time-Based, the protagonist no longer remained silent but freely spoke his mind, and the plot in general became thick with melodrama and lots of dialogues.

Still, it's unfortunate DQ V wasn't released in North America, because that was arguably the best one in the series. Its narrative and characterization, while not as melodramatic or plot-heavy as the FF games, was a lot more interesting than any FF game of that era, and even rivals FF VI in my opinion. DQ V also introduced the monster-capturing mechanic that would later gain popularity in the late 90s. I can only assume that it's because the first four DQ games weren't all that successful in NA that Enix decided not to localize DQ V, a pretty big missed opportunity.

I realized that for people who wanted a Mvs.C 3 and a Megaman legends 3 did not see the obvious downfall that would come from that. Megaman Legends 2 was terrible, and a lot of elements from Mvs.C1 were removed in Marvel Vs.C2. Not to mention virtually known of the console ports had good fluid controls on it.

I wonder how far the Neogeo would have went if it was cheaper. The intial cost kinda made sense for games and the hardware but they kept it consistent for around 10 years or so and at the 5 year point it just never made sense why they were still throwing that system and its games for the insane prices. Makes even less sense when you consider the price of NeoGeo CD which ran comparable hardware, with CD audio, yet the original system still costs an arm and a leg.

I don't get how anyone thinks Resident Evil is even a horror game and why they complain about Resi 5 and 6 when many people favorite game in the series was 4, which pretty much went into TPS mode in the first place, and even farther from a horror game than 1, 2, and 3. I personally think Silent hill, Deadly Prem, Fatal Frame, etc. are all closer to horror games, with Silent Hill actually being closest.Lordofinternet

The thing about RE4 is that it struck a balance between TPS action and survival horror, without swinging too much in either direction. But more importantly, it was just a pretty damn fine action-adventure game, regardless of the genre it belongs to. It's the kind of game that all kinds of gamers could enjoy playing, regardless of whether they belong to the action or horror camp. The same cannot be said for RE5, which is pretty much just an all-out TPS action game, with hardly anything in it for horror fans. As for RE6, I still haven't played it yet, so I have no idea about that one.

The issues is the DC controller analog was not very accurate and half the games had camera issues because there was no actual way to manipulate it unlike the N64 which while also terrible, had more buttons to work with. Also the FPs genere is not the only thing needing to sticks.... it was pretty much necessary or you needed a button equal for 3D games. Dragon Quest 1 actually did pretty well, not much advertising for the series though. Also I have to disagree, RE4 had no horror in it whatsoever so there is no balance of both, RE4 is not a RE game in terms that at least 1-3 tried to be horror games. zi also believe it was way to short but it was supposed to be GC only so....
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#54 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The issues is the DC controller analog was not very accurate and half the games had camera issues because there was no actual way to manipulate it unlike the N64 which while also terrible, had more buttons to work with.

Also the FPs genere is not the only thing needing to sticks.... it was pretty much necessary or you needed a button equal for 3D games.

Dragon Quest 1 actually did pretty well, not much advertising for the series though.

Also I have to disagree, RE4 had no horror in it whatsoever so there is no balance of both, RE4 is not a RE game in terms that at least 1-3 tried to be horror games. zi also believe it was way to short but it was supposed to be GC only so....Lordofinternet

I don't remember the DC analog stick being any less accurate than the N64 or PS1 analog sticks. And only a few DC games had camera issues, but most did not, no more than PS1 or N64 games. However, the DC controller having two buttons less than the Saturn/PS1/N64 controllers, was a somewhat bad decision.

The first Dragon Quest didn't perform that well in North America, hence why Nintendo were handing out copies of the game with a Nintendo Power magazine subscription. And that's where most of its NA "sales" came from. As for the DQ sequels, I don't have any numbers for those, but the fact that they didn't bring over DQ V leads me to believe DQ II-IV weren't that successful in NA.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter what genre you consider RE4 to be. It's just the kind of game that transcends genres and appeals to many different kinds of gamers who don't usually play survival horror or third-person shooter games. Either way, RE4 did in fact have some very survival horror parts, especially the Ashley segment, which had a similar survival horror feel to the Clock Tower series. As for the rest of the game, it certainly wasn't 'scary', but it still had many of the survival and adventure elements that the survival horror genre and its predecessors were known for. Like I said, it balanced the TPS action and survival horror in a way its sequels never could.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I remember when the PS1 would get stuck at the boot screen. I'd sh!t myself and quickly turn off the TV.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Emerald_Warrior

I'd love to see a good JRPG, with the mythology and art-style of Western RPGs.

Like I want it to have the traditional experience, level-up, and menu-based battle system of a JRPG, but I want to see creatures and artwork from a Western sensibility. I want to see some bad-ass looking warriors, evil-looking mages, huge fire-breathing dragons, Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Trolls, etc. And I want to see a Western art-style, rather than a Manga-influenced art-style.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#57 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

STILL playing Valkyrie Profile Silmeria. 90 hours game-time now and beginning to wonder if it's a 9/10 game.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Emerald_Warrior

I'm playing through Breath of Fire II right now. I'm at the end. I'm at the 2nd to last boss, and for the life of me, I can't beat him. I've unleashed Ryu's Green Dragon Attack on him like 4-5 times, and that attack takes a whopping 999 HPs. Yet I still die everytime.
I looked up a guide online finally, and it says I should have my party leveled up to 37...I have Ryu at freaking level 45 and my other party members not far behind! So it should be a breeze! And I do have the the full Dragon Equipment & Dragon Sword equipped on Ryu. I DON'T GET IT!!!

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BarbaricAvatar

The guy who does Solid Snake is either one of the worst voice actors i've ever heard, or a genius in comedy.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I have been playing a LOT of "Golden Axe III" lately, which is the only game of the series which ever caught my attention. The first two are very stiff, but the third game feels good with combos that flow, polished graphic presentation, branching paths... It's so much further-advanced that it's predecessors.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I have been playing a LOT of "Golden Axe III" lately, which is the only game of the series which ever caught my attention. The first two are very stiff, but the third game feels good with combos that flow, polished graphic presentation, branching paths... It's so much further-advanced that it's predecessors.

MonkeySpot

You ever tried GOLDEN AXE : THE REVENGE OF DEATH ADDER?

That's the only and true sequel to the original as the MD games were more of spinoffs.

It's by much the best and more polished GOLDEN AXE game.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Panzer_Zwei

You ever tried GOLDEN AXE : THE REVENGE OF DEATH ADDER?

That's the only and true sequel to the original as the MD games were more of spinoffs.

It's by much the best and more polished GOLDEN AXE game.

I only have the first three games, unfortunately.

:)

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#63 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I've been playing the OG Metal Gear games (Metal Gear 1 and 2) on the PS2. Still on the first game, the AI is kinda annoying but it's pretty fun.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

The other night I ended up playing Sonic Jam briefly and screwed up my Sonic 2 save due to curiosity. I was wondering if since Sonic Jam consisted of ports instead of emulations if the Hidden Palace bits were removed or not. It's still there and it crashes the whole game now rather than killing you when accessing it (at least in the JP version).

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Some guy was selling Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door on ebay for £70 with a 'Make offer' option, I offered £30 at most and messaged him saying that while I respect the quality the game is in, it is not a rare collectors item and it has been devalued by being used anyway

He just responded saying "the reason it's £70 is because it's ultra rare, not many people have this, also it's used hence the price"

"Hi

The reason that this product is £70 is because it is an ultra rare collector's item, not many people have this. It is also used so this is the best price I can do"

I wonder if all ebay sellers who spike the prices of Nintendo games have the audacity to think and talk like this

I probably gave myself a concussion from facepalming, I just really want this game :cry:

Someone actually bought it for £70 anyway

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#66 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I just started playing Final Fantasy IX today (3 hours in) and it's been awesome so far. I really like the characters and the gameplay is just like a lot of SNES RPGs with the active time battle system which I love. I'm looking forward to playing it some more.

Geordiereno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Geordiereno
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
That is, and probably always will be, my favourite Final Fantasy Game. It's the one I first bought with my own money and it's the one I've spent most time with
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#68 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

That is, and probably always will be, my favourite Final Fantasy Game. It's the one I first bought with my own money and it's the one I've spent most time with Geordiereno

Awesome. It's only the fourth Final Fantasy game I've played and it's definitely up there with Final Fantasy 6 so far as far as great RPGs go.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Emerald_Warrior

So I'm playing Radiant Historia on Nintendo DS. It's a great RPG (I'm really digging the battle-system). But I have one thing I have to say about it: What's the point of replaying an area after making the wrong decision? Don't we all already do that by using save points?

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Like I want it to have the traditional experience, level-up, and menu-based battle system of a JRPG, but I want to see creatures and artwork from a Western sensibility. I want to see some bad-ass looking warriors, evil-looking mages, huge fire-breathing dragons, Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Trolls, etc. And I want to see a Western art-style, rather than a Manga-influenced art-style.

Emerald_Warrior
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is the closest thing I can think of.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is the closest thing I can think of.

or the first Wizardry games, technically they were developed in the west, but they're closer to JRPGs then they are to WRPGs :P

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jag85

Emerald_Warrior

Dragon's Dogma

Dragon Valor

Folklore

King's Field series

Koudelka

Souls series

The 7th Saga

Wizardry series (post-2001)

Vagrant Story

And last but not least, by far the most 'Western' RPG ever made:

Wild ARMs series

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Emerald_Warrior

Jag85

Dragon's Dogma

Dragon Valor

Folklore

King's Field series

Koudelka

Souls series

The 7th Saga

Vagrant Story

Wild ARMs series

Most of those are great games, no doubt. But most of them don't have JRPG gameplay style, like I was saying.

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was pointed out to me, which fit the bill perfectly. I picked it up, and it's waiting to be played as soon as I'm finished with Legend of Legaia on PS1 (which it looks like is gonna take a while).

BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

Random retro gaming thought: Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Master System could turn anyone into the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Emerald_Warrior

Random retro gaming thought: Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Master System could turn anyone into the Angry Video Game Nerd.

BlendThree

While not as good as the Genesis games, I thought it was still a great game for an 8-bit version of Sonic. The Game Gear version is frustrating, though, if only because of the limited screen. It seems the camera just doesn't pan far enough forward to allow you to really get up to speed like Sonic should.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Some guy was selling Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door on ebay for £70 with a 'Make offer' option, I offered £30 at most and messaged him saying that while I respect the quality the game is in, it is not a rare collectors item and it has been devalued by being used anyway

He just responded saying "the reason it's £70 is because it's ultra rare, not many people have this, also it's used hence the price"

"Hi

The reason that this product is £70 is because it is an ultra rare collector's item, not many people have this. It is also used so this is the best price I can do"

I wonder if all ebay sellers who spike the prices of Nintendo games have the audacity to think and talk like this

I probably gave myself a concussion from facepalming, I just really want this game :cry:

Someone actually bought it for £70 anyway

NirdBerd

Yeah, a lot of Ebay sellers are clueless d!cks who see a mario, zelda, sonic or some other well known franchise and think "oh my god! This game is out of print and it's (insert well know video game franchise here), I bet it's worth a ton of money!" Without researching it, or at least seeing what the highest price went for on Ebay, they post it on Ebay hoping some idiot will come along and actually pay what they are asking. These people make me sick, and they are insanely greedy.

However, Ebay has nothing on Craigslist in terms of idiot sellers. It isn't uncommon to see someone try and convince people in their ad that what they are selling is ultra rare and worth a fortune, even if it is not. Probably the worst example of this was some person trying to sell an NES console with model # 101 on it. Because some guy on Storage Wars said that the 101 model is ultra rare and worth thousands, a bunch of idiots have taken this seriously and think they have found a gold mine when they come across an ultra common NES 101. But anyhow, this idiot was trying to sell it for $1000 and the console looked like it had been sitting in a dumpster for the past decade. I emailed him to tell him how he had no idea what he was talking about, and he pretty much threatened me and said because storage wars said it was worth that much, it's obviously true:roll:

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Shenmue_Jehuty

Amused at "Shenmue_Jehuty"'s new Legacy Wii topic (locked).

It only counts as legacy on GS once the sectioned forums are shut-down. ;)

The PS2 section was locked a long time ago, therefore Legacy is the ONLY place to talk about it. Count yourself lucky the Wii section is alive and well. :D

BarbaricAvatar

:oops: I may have gotten a little carried away.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

The PS2 section was locked a long time ago, therefore Legacy is the ONLY place to talk about it. Count yourself lucky the Wii section is alive and well. :D

Shenmue_Jehuty

It happens, m'friend... We all do it.

:P

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

MonkeySpot

It happens, m'friend... We all do it.

:P

I never know where to put thoughts on old PC games. Technically it should be in the PC section but most of what i play is pre-2005 so IMO it's Legacy. I bet the mods would disagree if i started creating topics. :D

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Emerald_Warrior

Dragon's Dogma

Dragon Valor

Folklore

King's Field series

Koudelka

Souls series

The 7th Saga

Vagrant Story

Wild ARMs series

Most of those are great games, no doubt. But most of them don't have JRPG gameplay style, like I was saying.

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was pointed out to me, which fit the bill perfectly. I picked it up, and it's waiting to be played as soon as I'm finished with Legend of Legaia on PS1 (which it looks like is gonna take a while).

If by "JRPG" you mean Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy style, then I'd say half the games from my list fit the bill:

Koudelka

The 7th Saga

Vagrant Story

Wild ARMs series

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Jag85"]
Dragon's Dogma

Dragon Valor

Folklore

King's Field series

Koudelka

Souls series

The 7th Saga

Vagrant Story

Wild ARMs series

Jag85

If by "JRPG" you mean Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy style, then I'd say half the games from my list fit the bill:

Koudelka

The 7th Saga

Vagrant Story

Wild ARMs series

I didn't even know they still made Wizardry games. Back in the day when it was a prominent series, it was a first-person view dungeon-crawler with definite Western sensibilities and styIe to it.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#82 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Like some said, Wizardry could be what you're looking for. There's one on the PS2 that's pretty dope.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Emerald_Warrior

The latest Game Informer had an article dedicated to a new Sega Genesis RPG called "Pier Solar", and it looked freaking fantastic. It looked like a SNES RPG, to the T. It got me all kinds of excited. So I went to look for it online. Apparently the website no longer sells the cartridges directly. The cheapest copy on eBay was $150, and the cheapest copy on Amazon is $800!

Thanks a lot Game Informer for getting us the information 2 years too late for anyone to reasonably be able to afford it. :roll:

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Exceed20XX

The latest Game Informer had an article dedicated to a new Sega Genesis RPG called "Pier Solar", and it looked freaking fantastic. It looked like a SNES RPG, to the T. It got me all kinds of excited. So I went to look for it online. Apparently the website no longer sells the cartridges directly. The cheapest copy on eBay was $150, and the cheapest copy on Amazon is $800!

Thanks a lot Game Informer for getting us the information 2 years too late for anyone to reasonably be able to afford it. :roll:

Emerald_Warrior

iirc Pier Solar had a few rather limited print runs, really making it a rare modern Genesis/Mega Drive gem. However, the makers WILL be bringing the game out again in HD and pushing it to a myriad of other formats beyond the Gen/MD. I think the options were PC (retail or DL), 360 (DL), WiiU whatever service, and Dreamcast. I'm going for the DC version if I hop on board but RPGs can be quite the endeavor for me. It's currently expected out by December 2013.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/pier-solar-hd-an-rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

After reading through this thread and others, it seems Legacy is really in love with obscure Japanese-only Sega RPGs.

That is my thought of the day.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shenmue_Jehuty

After reading through this thread and others, it seems Legacy is really in love with obscure Japanese-only Sega RPGs.

WiiCubeM1

I think your observation is correct. The only obscure Japanese games I'm into for the most part are SHMUPS and some action games.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#87 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

WiiCubeM1
I would maybe be into them if I could read japanese. The only imports I really play are a shmup or a fighter here and there. I need to import more shmups, especially on the Saturn.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Dudersaper

WiiCubeM1
Just like Shenmue_Jehuty and Eikichi_Onizuka, only imports I play are games that aren't story heavy. Though I do love me PS2 Japan imports, like The Maid Uniorm & Machine Gun, the Gunslinger Girl series ('tis awesome on the PS2), some 2D Fighters, and a few others.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Emerald_Warrior

I don't play imports for 3 reasons:

1. I don't know a lick of Japanese, and I like to understand my games, even if it is just details.

2. I don't own a Japanese system of any kind, except a third-party Famicom reproduction, which I really only got because it was dirt cheap and had a ton of pre-loaded games on it.

3. I don't like to mod my systems. I like to keep them in their original working order. And I don't support piracy. So playing Japanese games on most of my NTSC systems wouldn't be possible. Sega Master System and Game Boy notwithstanding since they don't have region-coding.

Besides that, I'm just not that big into the Japanese style. I don't get the over-the-top silly humor that's in a lot of Japanese stuff. And I don't like the cutesiness that is prevailing in a lot of Japanese stuff.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Dudersaper

3. I don't like to mod my systems. I like to keep them in their original working order. Emerald_Warrior
I didn't have to mod my PS2. At least not the hardware, I just have a thing in my pendrive that I launch with ulauncher whenever I want to play imports.

Though it's still a valid point (as are your other 2 points) to not play imports, since you do have to go through a bit more work to play the game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Jag85

I didn't even know they still made Wizardry games. Back in the day when it was a prominent series, it was a first-person view dungeon-crawler with definite Western sensibilities and styIe to it.

Emerald_Warrior

That's why I said "post-2001"... Ever since then, all the Wizardry games after that have been produced in Japan, most almost exclusively for Japan. In other words, Wizardry has pretty much morphed into a JRPG franchise, though it has still retained much of its Western sensibilities.

I don't play imports for 3 reasons:

1. I don't know a lick of Japanese, and I like to understand my games, even if it is just details.

2. I don't own a Japanese system of any kind, except a third-party Famicom reproduction, which I really only got because it was dirt cheap and had a ton of pre-loaded games on it.

3. I don't like to mod my systems. I like to keep them in their original working order. And I don't support piracy. So playing Japanese games on most of my NTSC systems wouldn't be possible. Sega Master System and Game Boy notwithstanding since they don't have region-coding.

Besides that, I'm just not that big into the Japanese style. I don't get the over-the-top silly humor that's in a lot of Japanese stuff. And I don't like the cutesiness that is prevailing in a lot of Japanese stuff.

Emerald_Warrior

That probably explains your question before. But yes, there does seem to be way too much 'cutesiness' in a lot of Japanese games and anime today... which is strange, because Japan never really had a reputation for 'cutesiness' until Pokemon came along towards the end of the 90s. It seems Japanese pop culture, and American pop culture for that matter, has changed quite a lot since the 90s... with Japanese pop culture becoming increasingly 'cutesy' and American pop culture becoming increasingly militaristic.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I was on eBay last night. I must have bid on 7 or 8 things. After the fact, I hadd up the cash--got a little bidders remorse on a few. Woke up this morning and I was sort of happily outbid on most. Only the high bidder on a sega Genesis. I'm also very tempted by a new N64. ...Also, I've realized that most of these people never sell the things with outrageous prices. I swear there's a Saturn selling for over $2000 that has been up there for 3 years. Aaaaaand, also started looking for a fantastic N64--read they were better for the overclocked mod. Though I'm with Emerald for the most part--I do not like modding hardware.
Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Exceed20XX

I was on eBay last night. I must have bid on 7 or 8 things. After the fact, I hadd up the cash--got a little bidders remorse on a few. Woke up this morning and I was sort of happily outbid on most. Only the high bidder on a sega Genesis. I'm also very tempted by a new N64. ...Also, I've realized that most of these people never sell the things with outrageous prices. I swear there's a Saturn selling for over $2000 that has been up there for 3 years. Aaaaaand, also started looking for a fantastic N64--read they were better for the overclocked mod. Though I'm with Emerald for the most part--I do not like modding hardware.Heirren

You know you can request a bid cancellation right? I don't recommend abusing the option but if you feel like there's something you wouldn't be able to afford midway through the process after bidding you can talk to the seller and see if they'll remove it. I've actually had that happen to me a few times and its not a hassle to cancel bids for folks.

As for some sellers yeah they can be very persistent, to this day I am still quite annoyed with the fact I put a high bid in for a special Saturn and was outbid at the VERY LAST SECOND. It turns out days later the unit was relisted but it wasn't the original seller, it was the winner, gouging the price of the unit to hell (I think he spiked it roughly 2x-3x what he paid for it.) Contacting him on the matter didn't do squat either... That's another story though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I was on eBay last night. I must have bid on 7 or 8 things. After the fact, I hadd up the cash--got a little bidders remorse on a few. Woke up this morning and I was sort of happily outbid on most. Only the high bidder on a sega Genesis. I'm also very tempted by a new N64. ...Also, I've realized that most of these people never sell the things with outrageous prices. I swear there's a Saturn selling for over $2000 that has been up there for 3 years. Aaaaaand, also started looking for a fantastic N64--read they were better for the overclocked mod. Though I'm with Emerald for the most part--I do not like modding hardware.Exceed20XX

You know you can request a bid cancellation right? I don't recommend abusing the option but if you feel like there's something you wouldn't be able to afford midway through the process after bidding you can talk to the seller and see if they'll remove it. I've actually had that happen to me a few times and its not a hassle to cancel bids for folks.

As for some sellers yeah they can be very persistent, to this day I am still quite annoyed with the fact I put a high bid in for a special Saturn and was outbid at the VERY LAST SECOND. It turns out days later the unit was relisted but it wasn't the original seller, it was the winner, gouging the price of the unit to hell (I think he spiked it roughly 2x-3x what he paid for it.) Contacting him on the matter didn't do squat either... That's another story though.

That makes you look bad as a buyer though. I bid on Double Dragon Advance not long ago. The bid was only 3 or 4 dollars. I wanted the game but PayPal was still in the process of completing my account. Turned out I would have won the bid. But yeah, I have suspicions that the sellers bid on their own stuff--aggravating. I'm the high bidder on a genesis console at the moment, and I'm already weary the item is not as described. I really don't want to go through the trouble of returning anything.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="Exceed20XX"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I was on eBay last night. I must have bid on 7 or 8 things. After the fact, I hadd up the cash--got a little bidders remorse on a few. Woke up this morning and I was sort of happily outbid on most. Only the high bidder on a sega Genesis. I'm also very tempted by a new N64. ...Also, I've realized that most of these people never sell the things with outrageous prices. I swear there's a Saturn selling for over $2000 that has been up there for 3 years. Aaaaaand, also started looking for a fantastic N64--read they were better for the overclocked mod. Though I'm with Emerald for the most part--I do not like modding hardware.Heirren

That makes you look bad as a buyer though. I bid on Double Dragon Advance not long ago. The bid was only 3 or 4 dollars. I wanted the game but PayPal was still in the process of completing my account. Turned out I would have won the bid. But yeah, I have suspicions that the sellers bid on their own stuff--aggravating. I'm the high bidder on a genesis console at the moment, and I'm already weary the item is not as described. I really don't want to go through the trouble of returning anything.

Thanks. All this confirms i've done the right thing by refusing to shop on Ebay. I'd rather pay more for an item and be guaranteed of getting it than indulge in this kind of fiasco.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Exceed20XX"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I was on eBay last night. I must have bid on 7 or 8 things. After the fact, I hadd up the cash--got a little bidders remorse on a few. Woke up this morning and I was sort of happily outbid on most. Only the high bidder on a sega Genesis. I'm also very tempted by a new N64. ...Also, I've realized that most of these people never sell the things with outrageous prices. I swear there's a Saturn selling for over $2000 that has been up there for 3 years. Aaaaaand, also started looking for a fantastic N64--read they were better for the overclocked mod. Though I'm with Emerald for the most part--I do not like modding hardware.Heirren

I hate the return policy where you have to ship the item back. I understand why, because the buyer could be frauding you for return money and the item might be as the seller described, so the seller wants to verify he's not getting frauded. But at the same time if it is true, now the buyer has to pay shipping on an item that wasn't as described and never would have bought in the first place had he known. So it's almost as if the buyer is penalized for the seller's misrepresentation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Exceed20XX"]

BarbaricAvatar

Thanks. All this confirms i've done the right thing by refusing to shop on Ebay. I'd rather pay more for an item and be guaranteed of getting it than indulge in this kind of fiasco.

Well, I can't be sure but what is stopping sellers from doing that, ya know? I've read that eBay and PayPal tend to favor the buyer, but I'm still weary. I'm eyeing an n64 labelled as NEW. Now, I want to make an offer, but what if I get it and it obviously is not new?
Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Exceed20XX

[QUOTE="Exceed20XX"]

If abused then yes it definitely will (bidding is after all a contract stating that you will pay for what you win), but some sellers will work with you if you have a legitimate reason/concern/attitude about the matter is my point. It's not meant to be used every time you put in a bid you don't like. Communication never hurts and while there may be a good amount of jerk sellers running around in the game sections of eBay there are also people who will work with you if you communicate well.

As for the matter of potential returns, if they misadvertised something then there's a good chance you can raise a case against them via eBay tools, in turn getting them to pick up the return shipping as well. I've done it as a buyer without even bringing up cases before.

In terms of sellers inflating bids, here's the best advise I can give you as there is no true predicting of this upfront (some people literally will pay exhuberant prices to outbid you legitimately). Bid what you are willing to pay, not what it takes to win by a long shot. If you lose, you lose. There will always be other opportunities for similar goods, if not outright new opportunities you would've missed otherwise. If you bid ONLY what you are willing to pay then if you win you're just paying that amount, which should be your budgeted comfort zone. You can't predict inflation by dirty sellers or ridiculous bid wars, you can only try to accomodate for yourself. Now if said item is lost and then relisted by the same seller it'ss up to you to determine what happened and what to do. Some sellers relist because buyers chicken out after the fact thus relisting (likely because second chancers moved on already). Others may have just played a sly one (which is silly really, they'd just be better off dealing with the reserve setting if they only wanted to let go at a certain price or above). If you don't trust then don't bid, just find a new seller with credentials, communication, etc.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BarbaricAvatar

Late night window-shopping on Amazon.

Opened link to game called "Shadow of Ganymede" looked at cover, looked at price, choked.

You want HOW MUCH?!

It's not even any good judging by the youtube vid i found!

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Shenmue_Jehuty

Late night window-shopping on Amazon.

Opened link to game called "Shadow of Ganymede" looked at cover, looked at price, choked.

You want HOW MUCH?!

It's not even any good judging by the youtube vid i found!

BarbaricAvatar

This unfortunetly happens with a lot of more obscure video game titles on Amazon and even Ebay; because the game is obscure or maybe even rare, there will be very few or no copies of it on a given sight at a specific time. As a result some a**hole comes on and thinks, "I bet I could make someone believe this game is worth hundreds of dollars because no one else is selling it." So they post it at that price, hoping someone will take the bait and make then a ton of money. This tactic almost never works, however it doesn't stop greedy bastards from trying it.