Played any games that changed your life, for better or worse?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8786 Posts

Have you? What game?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I found SOMA to be quite a phylosphical game as it's a game about jumping around to different bodies.

After beating it I kept thinking about the phylosophies of that game and really acted differently in the sense that we all have the body we are born into and you gotta make do with what you have, be happy with who you are (wasn't the point of the game but meh, helped me accept things) :)

Also believe Half Life changed my life for the better as it's such a stellar landmark game. Every other game will be held up to that high standard.

As for games changing me for the worse:

I guess insidous games that keep pushing you towards spending and have gambling mechanics, and mechanics working behind the scenes in order to drain your fun and drive you towards spending. Yeah those will definitely start having a negative impact on us.

What about you?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11692 Posts

Never played a game that has made my life worse. Outside probably worsening my eye-sight (which was never great to begin with)

Games can be entertaining and even insightful/ useful for day-to-day activities. Hand-eye-coordination, to general knowledge packed in a fun manner. DDR was also just a good social experience personally.

So shout out to games in general! Video games get a bad rap from people who are grossly condescending, muttering how others 'should' spend their free-time.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8786 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: About me. I've had Nethack change my outlook on life. That it has permadeath helped me to realize the fragility of life and how I only get one chance to get things right. I've never beaten it and never will.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58527 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I'll need to go back and play SOMA at some point. I found it too scary!

Love horror movies, want to like horror games, but it's hard for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25
@RSM-HQ said:

Never played a game that has made my life worse. Outside probably worsening my eye-sight (which was never great to begin with)

Games can be entertaining and even insightful/ useful for day-to-day activities. Hand-eye-coordination, to general knowledge packed in a fun manner. DDR was also just a good social experience personally.

So shout out to games in general! Video games get a bad rap from people who are grossly condescending, muttering how others 'should' spend their free-time.

Hell yeah dude!

I sort of feel the same way; I've played bad games, sure, but nothing that changed my life for worse. Only better.

As for the original question, I guess Half-Life? It sort of shaped my view of what a game could be, and also opened up online multiplayer gaming to me. 1998 was the Christmas I got Half-Life, my family got internet, and I think 1999 was when I got my first video card. So that whole year or two was really great for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

@R4gn4r0k: I'll need to go back and play SOMA at some point. I found it too scary!

I kinda convinced myself that SOMA was more about story and that there were only really three monsters in the game (each act differently, so you have to as well).

Then it was the first game that I replayed, this time on my steam deck. Holy hell was it scaring me to death, absolutely different from what I remembered, hahaha

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@DEVILinIRON said:

@R4gn4r0k: About me. I've had Nethack change my outlook on life. That it has permadeath helped me to realize the fragility of life and how I only get one chance to get things right. I've never beaten it and never will.

Oh wow that's very interesting. I'm on a mission now to finish every game that I start, it can have downtime but I will literally only drop games that I dislike. Spending a lot of time on singleplayer games sure is fun, but I sometimes have to come to grips with the fact that yeah, some games just aren't beatable. And that's ok too :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I kinda convinced myself that SOMA was more about story and that there were only really three monsters in the game (each act differently, so you have to as well).

Then it was the first game that I replayed, this time on my steam deck. Holy hell was it scaring me to death, absolutely different from what I remembered, hahaha

Welp, downloading now.

Can imagine playing that on an overseas flight on the Deck. Everyone asleep in the cabin then I shriek when something scary happens.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34785 Posts

Playing games in general makes me happy. And it has helped me learn english, among other things. That's about it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#11 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11692 Posts
@Litchie said:

Playing games in general makes me happy. And it has helped me learn english, among other things. That's about it.

Ha! relate to this so much. Gaming Forums helped me learn English. Can't speak a lick of it, but I write pretty well now (or so I think)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34785 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@Litchie said:

Ha! relate to this so much. Gaming Forums helped me learn English. Can't speak a lick of it, but I write pretty well now (or so I think)

You write really well man. Even put a capital E on English, which I missed. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The Evil Within 2 made me a coffee drinker I'm 100 percent serious it looked refreshing in the game so I gave it a try and I got hooked. Granted I tried coffee before that but when I did it was when I was a kid and I didn't like it but as a adult it hit different.

Loading Video...

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MyCatIsMilk  Online
Member since 2022 • 1349 Posts

No game has the power to change my life for better or for worse. I'd be curious how many people actually play a game where they ponder what was said or told story wise that truly caused them to think deeply, whether it be philosophically, etc. Unless we're talking about games that try to squeeze money out of you, and successfully pull out of you your gambling addiction you never knew was there? Lol.

I remember watching James Cameron's Avatar for the first time in theaters. I was one of those people who got struck with Avatar Blues, as they reported it as being. Depression set in because it was an idealized world that I wanted to be apart of; wanting something more than what I currently had but didn't know I needed. But sadly it just ended there. Nothing more than an emotional response that didn't lead to any life changing decisions.

Miayyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Miayyok
Member since 2023 • 9 Posts

Yes, I have played games that have changed my life for the better. One of the most influential games I have ever played was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This game taught me to think outside the box and to explore the world around me. It also taught me to be creative and to take risks in order to achieve my goals. This game has had a lasting impact on my life and I am grateful for the lessons it has taught me.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#16  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

It’s hard to really know. I think it’s just one of those experiences that shapes a young mind in ways you consciously don’t realize or understand. I believe my music tastes have been influenced by chip tunes on the older 8 and 16 bit systems. I believe that the Gameboy Pokemon games helped me to learn numbers and to calculate random numbers in my head. In my 30’s I don’t know how much games affect me now if at all.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23729 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@Litchie said:

You both do, never would've guessed it was a second language for you.

Way better than a lot of native English speakers on these boards lol.

-

Hard to pin down a particular life changing game.

In general, can say I've made a lot of good friends from gaming. From arcades, school, fighting game circles, forums, etc.

Gaming ultimately sent me down a career path I enjoy. Won't give MGS3 all the credit, but that's the game that made me double down and really want to work on games. Even if it didn't work out as expected.

More secondary/petty, but being on gaming boards all these years definitely sharpened my debate skills. 😂 Especially the older SW and GameFaqs forums.

Only real negative I can think of spending too much time on gaming. Times when I lacked balance, gaming way too much when I could have been doing something more productive and fulfilling.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#19 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 713 Posts

Elden Ring changed my life- It's a game about redemption without absolution. We can redeem ourselves but we don't need apology. Elden Ring is about a tarnished person who wants his grace back. I have learned so much from Elden Ring.

Half-Life ruined my life because I tried to copy it's storytelling style but got swept away.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Everquest. Wasted like 3-4 years playing. Mark’s dropped in school real life friends got pissed at me playing all the time.

Plus side, eventually sold my account for $2000

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 414 Posts

Too many games to think of have changed my life. Most recently has been Fortnite, because of how often the game adds new content and quests to complete. But everything from Monster Rancher to Guilty Gear has had some sort of impact.