PC Gamer's Top 100 - Cry Some More

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

Tim schafer to write everything if my school text books were by him i would have paid more attention to them i think he did more than just blow Rare out of water as pcychonuants was a brilliant game and make me wonder why dosen't TIm go out and teach all these devs how to make games.

PC gamer never dissapoints with these lists

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I go away to play a 5-hour Mass Effect session and watch Scarface only to return to find angry Starcraft fans coming out of the woodwork. :lol: I could make a Top 1000 list and that game wouldn't be on it.

Also, like Skylock said, this isn't a list of 'best' PC games. This is a list of PC Gamer's favorites, the games they enjoyed playing the most. That in itself deserves praise, in my opinion. Trying to be objective is futile and boring, the only result is seeing the same old games over and over again. Personally, I think this is the best list I've ever seen - with GameSpot's Hall of Fame being the only exception.

Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts
the list says one entry per franchise, so why are half-life and half-life 2 both on the list? not that they don't deserve to be there, but at least play by the rules if you're setting them yourself...
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 UpInFlames

the list says one entry per franchise, so why are half-life and half-life 2 both on the list? not that they don't deserve to be there, but at least play by the rules if you're setting them yourself...Prodigy_basic

From the Half-Life blurb:

We're happy to make an exception to our 'one game from a series' rule for Half-Life, not least because the original is so vastly different to HL2.

Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

[QUOTE="Prodigy_basic"]the list says one entry per franchise, so why are half-life and half-life 2 both on the list? not that they don't deserve to be there, but at least play by the rules if you're setting them yourself...UpInFlames

We're happy to make an exception to our 'one game from a series' rule for Half-Life, not least because the original is so vastly different to HL2.

i see...i should have just clicked on the link, i'm pretty sure they couldn't missed it...thanks for the quick reply...

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

I go away to play a 5-hour Mass Effect session and watch Scarface only to return to find angry Starcraft fans coming out of the woodwork. :lol: I could make a Top 1000 list and that game wouldn't be on it.

UpInFlames

And you haven't seen the angriest of them all. :evil: :P

Nevertheless, this is a matter of opinion, and, realistically speaking, you can't argue opinion. You either share their viewpoint or you don't.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 UpInFlames

Nevertheless, this is a matter of opinion, and, realistically speaking, you can't argue opinion. You either share their viewpoint or you don't.SteelAttack

Dude, we're on game forums. Of course you can. Your opinion is wrong.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]Nevertheless, this is a matter of opinion, and, realistically speaking, you can't argue opinion. You either share their viewpoint or you don't.UpInFlames

Indeed. What else is there ultimately to do?

To argue or not to argue.

And you don't want to commit suicide like some emo kid do you?

mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
Good list but definitely not one entry per franchise, both Half-Life games are there.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]Nevertheless, this is a matter of opinion, and, realistically speaking, you can't argue opinion. You either share their viewpoint or you don't.inoperativeRS

Indeed. What else is there ultimately to do?

To argue or not to argue.

And you don't want to commit suicide like some emo kid do you?

You are both wrong. Live for the swarm!
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 inoperativeRS
And dost thou speak of swarms to me! Begone, vile demon.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Good list but definitely not one entry per franchise, both Half-Life games are there.mohmaaytah
That's already been addressed several posts above this one... just to reiterate:

[QUOTE="Prodigy_basic"]the list says one entry per franchise, so why are half-life and half-life 2 both on the list? not that they don't deserve to be there, but at least play by the rules if you're setting them yourself...UpInFlames

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 al-128
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
I like the list, agree with most making it to the list (though I would have Half-Life 2 at #1 :P). You can see from the magazine it's a more personal list; not to be taken too seriously. If it was a best of list, a lot of games and numbers would change (looking at their previous best of 100 they usually do confirms this), but some of you are treating it as if it were (presumabley because you don't own the magazine :P).
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
I love this list. So many games that dont get their deserved recognition finally apreciated.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
I'm glad to see Oblivion made it at #7 out of 100 (I'd have it at #1 :D ) but I was shocked to find Stacraft at 100.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I just noticed that they don't even have Baldurs Gate II or Neverwinter Nights there. Not even Age of Mythology which is only just one of the best RTSs ever made.

If this list is based on their personal favorites, then doesn't that mean their reviews will also be biased?

No wonder I never read PC Gamer magazine or cared for it.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
...Reviews are always biased since you know theyre someones OPINION.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Skylock00

I just noticed that they don't even have Baldurs Gate II or Neverwinter Nights there. Not even Age of Mythology which is only just one of the best RTSs ever made.

If this list is based on their personal favorites, then doesn't that mean their reviews will also be biased?

No wonder I never read PC Gamer magazine or cared for it.

ASK_Story

What? :?

I'm sorry, but I view this as a different thought process as what they'd use when reviewing games. I wouldn't view this as something that shows some deep inherent bias that makes their ability to review games any different than in the past.

I really think that a lot of people are simply reading into this list more deeply than they're supposed to.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 UpInFlames

No wonder I never read PC Gamer magazine or cared for it.ASK_Story

Baldur's Gate II is #33. I don't see how would this feature have anything to do with their reviews.

Overall, European game journalism is a lot more relaxed and this is a pretty good reflection of that.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]I just noticed that they don't even have Baldurs Gate II or Neverwinter Nights there. Not even Age of Mythology which is only just one of the best RTSs ever made.

No wonder I never read PC Gamer magazine or cared for it.UpInFlames

Baldur's Gate II is #33. I don't see how would this feature have anything to do with their reviews.

Overall, European game journalism is a lot more relaxed and this is a pretty good reflection of that.

Well, I guess I missed Baldur's Gate on that list. My bad. But I still think the list is odd.

Also, I did not know PC Gamer was a European Magazine. I never read it in the bookstores as much (because they're always sealed), so I usually ignored it.

But anyway, there are some things I disagree with on the list. When I saw IGN's list, it agreed more to my taste. But it is also IGN, who are, well, you know. So seeing how drastically different PC Gamer's list was kind of threw me off a little.

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 al-128

There's a Uk & US PC Gamer mag (as well as many other versions in other countries), this is the UK one ;)

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 UpInFlames

Also, I did not know PC Gamer was a European Magazine. I never read it in the bookstores as much (because they're always sealed), so I usually ignored it.ASK_Story

PC Gamer is a worldwide magazine. This feature is from PC Gamer UK. CVG is a British website so all of their features coming from their printed media are British.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I lost my motivation to read the list when I saw SC at 100. Still, I read through it, and there are older games that I still have yet to try such as Anachronox, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Darwinia, Mafia, AvP and Fallout . Glad to see Beyond Good and Evil, Crimson Skies, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and Simcity 2000 made the list.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
I could easily find myself getting into heated arguments with some of these guys cuz my personal tastes do not mesh with their own.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#76 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i was glad starcraft is on the list but there alot of games on that list that i would consider not as fun
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#77 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
lol at the angry Starcraft fans. I still havent played it yet but tis on my list to play this year, sitting there looking all pretty. Im glad to see Baldurs Gate II there but it would be my personal numero uno but whateve. That list also needs some Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, some Kings Quest, some Police Quest but overall its a fun list.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#78 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

lol at the angry Starcraft fans. I still havent played it yet but tis on my list to play this year, sitting there looking all pretty. Im glad to see Baldurs Gate II there but it would be my personal numero uno but whateve. That list also needs some Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, some Kings Quest, some Police Quest but overall its a fun list.GodModeEnabled

It also needs Age of Empires 2 and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2.

And as far as the Halo: CE issue is concerned, well, you can say in your opinion that you had more fun playing flash games than one of the best FPS of all time, but that doesn't make your opinion very astute, now does it?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Skylock00

And as far as the Halo: CE issue is concerned, well, you can say in your opinion that you had more fun playing flash games than one of the best FPS of all time, but that doesn't make your opinion very astute, now does it?

Dutch_Mix

Um...it doesn't really say much anything at all, IMHO, other than it makes their opinion different than yours. I mean, you feel that Halo is one of the best FPS's of all time.

I know for a fact that there are going to be people who don't feel the same way, at all. That doesn't make your opinion, or theirs, any less astute, especially when we're not talking about what's the most high-quality/Influential/'best' FPS of all time is...but more or less talking about what someone has fun playing.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Skylock00

Um...it doesn't really say much anything at all, IMHO, other than it makes their opinion different than yours. I mean, you feel that Halo is one of the best FPS's of all time.

I know for a fact that there are going to be people who don't feel the same way, at all. That doesn't make your opinion, or theirs, any less astute, especially when we're not talking about what's the most high-quality/Influential/'best' FPS of all time is...but more or less talking about what someone has fun playing.

Fun is objective sure, quality on the other hand isn't, and I would argue that a quality game like Halo is far more likely to be fun than some of the absolute failures that made that list (if you can call it that).

But whatever, this list is obvious flame-bait, and I'd be willing to bet that was PC Gamer's sole intention when they created it. Stir up some controversy, get people to talk about it, you know?

Meh.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Skylock00

Fun is objective sure, quality on the other hand isn't, and I would argue that a quality game like Halo is far more likely to be fun than some of the absolute failures that made that list (if you can call it that).

But whatever, this list is obvious flame-bait, and I'd be willing to bet that was PC Gamer's sole intention when they created it. Stir up some controversy, get people to talk about it, you know?

Meh.

Dutch_Mix

Again, whether or not Halo is a high quality game in their opinion isn't even the point, though.

As for the list being flame-bait...I don't see how that's the point, either, unless you're looking for it to be. They're not saying that games that aren't on their list not going to be fun for other people to play, nor are they saying that those games aren't good games...they are simply saying that they find these other games more fun to play than others. I would consider the intent of this list to be much less condecending in nature than putting together a traditional 'best of' list, but that's just me.

bamafan1359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 bamafan1359
Member since 2008 • 487 Posts

Worst. List. Ever.GodLovesDead

I agree with you... SC #100? WTF

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#83 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]Worst. List. Ever.bamafan1359

I agree with you... SC #100? WTF

Just Cause is above Starcraft on the list. That's an unbelievable amount of fail. Seems like someone on the PC Gamer board is completely biased against the game. And Sins at 99? What the hell? Are they just inept at RTS games or something? They put a tank rushing RTS halfway down the list, but the greatest RTS games near the top?

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 al-128
I see people are still failing to realise this is not a best 100 pc games list... It's really becoming quite funny how many posts, and thier own first paragraph are being ignored by people more interested in solely "the list" *gasp* Starcraft being at 100 has nothing to do with it's quality, it's just that the team collectively felt 99 other games were more enjoyable to play. The list cannot fail, or be the worst list, it's just their opinion on 100 games that are fun. Fun is the key word here, I'm not saying being fun makes it on their best of list, it makes it on their 100 fun games list... If you played TF2 every lunch break, with your IRL friends as they do, it becomes quite clear why it is so high up.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#85 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Oblivion cracked the top 10? Gaming is seriously dying.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Poshkidney

I see people are still failing to realise this is not a best 100 pc games list... It's really becoming quite funny how many posts, and thier own first paragraph are being ignored by people more interested in solely "the list" *gasp* Starcraft being at 100 has nothing to do with it's quality, it's just that the team collectively felt 99 other games were more enjoyable to play. The list cannot fail, or be the worst list, it's just their opinion on 100 games that are fun. Fun is the key word here, I'm not saying being fun makes it on their best of list, it makes it on their 100 fun games list... If you played TF2 every lunch break, with your IRL friends as they do, it becomes quite clear why it is so high up.al-128

I agree its what they like now not whats the best pc game of all time.

if it was their best pc games of all time some of those would'nt be in its just what they like playing now and only and oblivion was damn fine game.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Where's my Wing Commander? And Strike Commander? And Mechwarrior 2.... :cry:
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

[QUOTE="al-128"]I see people are still failing to realise this is not a best 100 pc games list... It's really becoming quite funny how many posts, and thier own first paragraph are being ignored by people more interested in solely "the list" *gasp* Starcraft being at 100 has nothing to do with it's quality, it's just that the team collectively felt 99 other games were more enjoyable to play. The list cannot fail, or be the worst list, it's just their opinion on 100 games that are fun. Fun is the key word here, I'm not saying being fun makes it on their best of list, it makes it on their 100 fun games list... If you played TF2 every lunch break, with your IRL friends as they do, it becomes quite clear why it is so high up.Poshkidney

I agree its what they like now not whats the best pc game of all time.

if it was their best pc games of all time some of those would'nt be in its just what they like playing now and only and oblivion was damn fine game.

People are allowed to say it fails or it sucks. A list of Top 100 best games would also be opinion based anyways, and this one isn't much different. They just decided to shove the word "fun" in the title.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#89 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

They enjoyed TF2 the most?

I got really bored with it after about a week.

MykoStation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90 MykoStation
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts
nice supreme Commander is on the list. Battlefield 2 but no 1942? Medieval total war #5 i have never even seen it on top 100 lists
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Poshkidney

nice supreme Commander is on the list. Battlefield 2 but no 1942? Medieval total war #5 i have never even seen it on top 100 listsMykoStation

I know its a disgrace total war isn't on more great lists its way better than starcraft its just not as popular and its british so you know its good.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Meh.

Skylock00

Again, whether or not Halo is a high quality game in their opinion isn't even the point, though.

As for the list being flame-bait...I don't see how that's the point, either, unless you're looking for it to be. They're not saying that games that aren't on their list not going to be fun for other people to play, nor are they saying that those games aren't good games...they are simply saying that they find these other games more fun to play than others. I would consider the intent of this list to be much less condecending in nature than putting together a traditional 'best of' list, but that's just me.

Maybe, but I think inciting some flames was definitely on their collective minds when they did create this list. Otherwise, Starcraft (widely considered to be the best RTS game of all time) wouldn't have been at #100, and Team Fortress 2 wouldn't have taken the top spot.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Skylock00

Maybe, but I think inciting some flames was definitely on their collective minds when they did create this list. Otherwise, Starcraft (widely considered to be the best RTS game of all time) wouldn't have been at #100, and Team Fortress 2 wouldn't have taken the top spot.

Dutch_Mix

So if I made a list of the top 100 PC games that I find fun to play, and didn't include Starcraft anywhere on that list due to me not having fun playing that, or any RTS game due to me being bad at the genre....the only rational explanation for me doing so is to incite flames, as oposed to having an opinion that I don't find the game fun to play?

Again, I only think the list is flame-inciting from the standpoint of people taking the list too seriously.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 UpInFlames

Maybe, but I think inciting some flames was definitely on their collective minds when they did create this list. Otherwise, Starcraft (widely considered to be the best RTS game of all time) wouldn't have been at #100, and Team Fortress 2 wouldn't have taken the top spot.Dutch_Mix

I don't consider Starcraft a good game, nevermind the best RTS ever. I think you're way off. They simply took a different approach when making a Top 100 list which, by the way, doesn't even include the word 'best' in there. It's just PC Gamer's Top 100, not a list of best PC games ever.

I mean, who were they trying to piss off? Their own readers?

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Skylock00

So if I made a list of the top 100 PC games that I find fun to play, and didn't include Starcraft anywhere on that list due to me not having fun playing that, or any RTS game due to me being bad at the genre....the only rational explanation for me doing so is to incite flames, as oposed to having an opinion that I don't find the game fun to play?

Again, I only think the list is flame-inciting from the standpoint of people taking the list too seriously.

Whatever, man. I concede the point.

I guess I'm just sorta baffled sometimes when people have such radically different opinions than mine. I mean, how dare they. :P

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Poshkidney

[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]Maybe, but I think inciting some flames was definitely on their collective minds when they did create this list. Otherwise, Starcraft (widely considered to be the best RTS game of all time) wouldn't have been at #100, and Team Fortress 2 wouldn't have taken the top spot.UpInFlames

I don't consider Starcraft a good game, nevermind the best RTS ever. I think you're way off. They simply took a different approach when making a Top 100 list which, by the way, doesn't even include the word 'best' in there. It's just PC Gamer's Top 100, not a list of best PC games ever.

I mean, who were they trying to piss off? Their own readers?

Can't be their readers becuase this is their sort of list every year filled different choices from everyone else and their readers take it or leave it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Team Fortress 2 #1? That's obsurd. The game is not even fun after awhile. And I am pretty sure CS:S still has bigger community. And HL2 top5? Geez, I don't even like HL2, so boring. Those two should be below #20 and CS:S should be top 10.magicalclick

Something tells me you are about to go upinflames.:P

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 UpInFlames

Something tells me you are about to go upinflames.:Prragnaar

Not even worth burning. :P

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]Team Fortress 2 #1? That's obsurd. The game is not even fun after awhile. And I am pretty sure CS:S still has bigger community. And HL2 top5? Geez, I don't even like HL2, so boring. Those two should be below #20 and CS:S should be top 10.rragnaar

Something tells me you are about to go upinflames.:P

Give the man a break :lol:

Can't we just have a huge grouphug or something? All this hostility makes me feel sad. As if it wasn't enough my friend's friend got alcohol poisoned tonight :(