PC Gamer's Top 100 - Cry Some More

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Check out the series of articles here.

Note that the PC Gamer editorial staff said that this isn't a list of 'best' games, but games that they love the most. They also included only one entry per franchise.

100. Starcraft
99. Sins of a Solar Empire
98. Sacrifice
97. Armageddon Empires
96. Sensible World of Soccer
95. Just Cause
94. Fable
93. Full Throttle
92. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
91. Rise of Nations

90. Crimson Skies
89. Sam & Max Hit the Road
88. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps
87. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
86. Anchorhead
85. N
84. Grim Fandango
83. Lord of the Rings Online
82. Desktop Tower Defence
81. Silent Hunter III

80. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
79. Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
78. SWAT 4
77. GRID
76. Freespace 2
75. Syndicate
74. Frontier Elite II
73. Far Cry
72. Ground Control
71. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

70. Uplink
69. The Secret of Monkey Island
68. Command & Conquer 3
67. Championship Manager 2: 96/97
66. Unreal Tournament III
65. Tomb Raider Anniversary
64. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
63. TIE-Fighter
62. Gears of War
61. Warcraft III

60. Day of Defeat: Source
59. DEFCON
58. Masq
57. Outcast
56. Ultima VII
55. Diablo II
54. Beyond Good & Evil
53. Doom II
52. Guild Wars
51. Audiosurf

50. Alien Vs. Predator
49. Ultima Underworld II
48. Trackmania United Forever
47. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
46. Mass Effect
45. Dungeon Keeper
44. Supreme Commander
43. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
42. F.E.A.R.
41. Psychonauts

40. Peggle
39. Homeworld
38. SimCity 2000
37. Crysis
36. Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
35. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
34. Quake III
33. Baldur's Gate II
32. The Sims 2
31. Call of Duty 4

30. Day of the Tentacle
29. Battlefield 2
28. Darwinia
27. Counter-Strike: Source
26. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
25. Half-Life
24. Mafia
23. City of Heroes
22. Company of Heroes
21. Fallout

20. System Shock 2
19. World in Conflict
18. The Longest Journey - John says "I've never heard of it. Ho ho. This is the game that changed my life, changed who I was. And I'm not the only one. It's a testimony to the need for vivid imagination in an increasingly controlled, corporate world."
17. Anachronox
16. Armed Assault
15. Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
14. Thief II: The Metal Age
13. EVE Online
12. BioShock
11. Civilization IV - Tim says "It's the competition between nations, and the pace of progress that always surprises me about Civ. You can pass through epochs in hours, believing you've got the upper hand with musketmen and artillery, only to discover your neighbours are sporting tanks and a menacing grin."

10. UFO: Enemy Unknown
9. Planescape Torment
8. Hitman: Blood Money
7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Tom says "That rolling, forested landscape might look like merely a prettier version of standard fantasy lore. But explore it for a while and you find it's riddled with secrets, darkness and the bizarre. Murder mysteries unfold for real, party guests are stripped naked, drug dealers sneak from town to town, and in Border Watch, it rains burning dogs."
6. Portal - Graham says "The best comic writing since Monkey Island coupled with a fresh idea strong enough to carry the entire game. But what gets lost among the kitschy in-jokes about cubes and cake and songs is how big a heart it has. Portal is about machinery and empty science labs, but it manages to evoke more feeling than games five times its length."
5. Medieval II: Total War
4. World of Warcraft
3. Half-Life 2 - Craig says "All hail the Gravity Gun, best of all in-game weapons. But it's not just that: Half-Life 2's art, writing and action all combine to make something unique: a shooter where I genuinely care about the people around me. And I hate everybody."
2. Deus Ex
1. Team Fortress 2

Ross says "I didn't get it straight away. I didn't realise that you have to play the cIass not try to just charge out and kill. Now I know better: searching for distant Sentries as a Soldier, protecting Engineers as a Pyro, keeping attacks going as a Medic. There's only one thing more satisfying than capturing the final point as an attacking player: being the last-ditch defender as time runs out, bludgeoning that last Heavy with the Bonesaw. Oh yes."

Tim says "Lunchtime is no more. For PC Gamer, food is to be gulped down between spawns during TF2 hour. Why do we keep playing? Because Team Fortress 2 isn't a game about pure twitch aiming skills. It tests teamwork and communication, tactics and placement. When we're good, we're very, very, very good: Tom and Craig sapping sentries, while Ross and myself charge out, Medic and Heavy uber-charged.

First off, Starcraft - hahahahahahah! The only publication I've seen to put that game in its place. Overall, I think it's a good list. It's great to see a publication doing away with hopelessly trying to be "objective" (which is impossible) and simply listing a bunch of games they love playing. Huge props.

Also, I see quite a bit of games I've barely even heard of which I want to check out after reading the synopsis (Masq). Also, Hitman: Blood Money at #8? It's seems you get to kill an entire wedding party, I should really play that game.

Your thoughts?

jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts
That is definitely an interesting list. It kind of makes me sad that Unreal Tournament isn't a bit higher on the list, but that's just me and my tastes.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
That's probably one of the weirdest lists I've ever seen.
Overrated_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Overrated_Hero
Member since 2008 • 3439 Posts
I demand Starcraft to be much higher.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
good seeing Anachronox in the top 20. So few people played that game or even know about it. Still in my top 5 of all time on the pc.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Great list but... StarCraft at #100?!?
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

Great list but... StarCraft at #100?!?thusaha

and TF2 at #1..i love it as much as the next guy but number 1?

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Worst. List. Ever.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I skipped to read #1 and thought... really? Then I scanned the top 5 or so... what is this person smoking? But after scanning the list of all 100 they have pretty much all the good games. Though I would debate that Thief 2 was better than Thief 1 among other things. If you look at the list as 'unsorted' I would agreed with a lot on there... but I don't care for their rankings much... StarCraft at 100... right. Most games that are 10 years old aren't still used in tournament play... that should speak a little bit more about the 'true' ranking. And was Star Control on there? If you haven't played that one go download the free Ur Quan Masters and enjoy one of the best games ever created for a PC. Go Frungy!
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Apparently, PC gamer is a big orange box fan.
The_Sand_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Sand_Man
Member since 2008 • 6788 Posts
Oh well, at least WoW was in the top 5.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#12 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
Deus Ex is #2. I'm pretty pleased about that; It would be my #1.
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Starcraft?????? 100??????????? I stopped reading there, HORRIBLE list
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
I demand Starcraft to be much higher.Overrated_Hero
yeah, like whack the back "0" off there number
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

Mmm, no Halo? Epic failure across the board.

Are these guys even taken seriously?

haemorrhagiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 haemorrhagiae
Member since 2008 • 617 Posts

Pc gamers is officialy dead for me.

Worst top100 list ever.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I demand Starcraft to be much higher.Overrated_Hero

Exact thing I thought when I saw Starcraft at 100, and then FLASH GAMES higher than it?! I haven't even played the game but I know LOADS of people love it and to say there are flash games that more enjoyable is kind of weird...

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I see no mention of any of the quest games. No Police Quest, King's Quest, Space Quest, or Quest for Glory.:evil:
assassin23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 assassin23
Member since 2003 • 3189 Posts

Starcraft is at 100 and Sims 2 is 32...Weird list and I can't say I agree with much of it at all.

eyerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 eyerok
Member since 2004 • 10782 Posts
list has almost all the great games...don't mind the rankings as long as its filled with great, no, history's greatest games...
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

[QUOTE="Overrated_Hero"]I demand Starcraft to be much higher.bobbetybob

Exact thing I thought when I saw Starcraft at 100, and then FLASH GAMES higher than it?! I haven't even played the game but I know LOADS of people love it and to say there are flash games that more enjoyable is kind of weird...

Not really, given that this list isn't trying to be objective, and it's not trying to make a list of the top 100 games of all time or something...merely a list of the top 100 games the editors of PC Gamer love playing, so it's purely personal taste. If they don't love playing Starcraft as much as they do N+...then more power to them.

Starcraft wouldn't be on my top 100, either, because I'm horrible at RTS games. :P

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'll be honest, but that is a odd list. I mean, Team Fortress 2 is fun but #1?

And Starcraft at #100? Also, I think Company of Heroes is way better than Medievel Total War.

Those guys obviously wanted to stir something up. Putting Starcraft last does it for me.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skylock00

And Starcraft at #100? Also, I think Company of Heroes is way better than Medievel Total War.

Those guys obviously wanted to stir something up. Putting Starcraft last does it for me.

ASK_Story

Why would you think that they're just trying to stir things up? What if they honestly don't personally love playing it as much as most of the other games on the list?...

I think the point is that this list isn't meant to be a definitive list of anything...I don't get why some people are approaching it like it's suppose to be a regular 'top 100' list.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Skylock00

Why would you think that they're just trying to stir things up? What if they honestly don't personally love playing it as much as most of the other games on the list?...

I think the point is that this list isn't meant to be a definitive list of anything...I don't get why some people are approaching it like it's suppose to be a regular 'top 100' list.

Well, some guys just want to stand out from the crowd and think they're all cool and rebels because their list doesn't follow everyone else.:P

I don't know, it's just a odd list. Hitman Blood Money at #8? Deus Ex better than Half-Life 2? It's like that same list I saw for 100 greatest film directors of all-time with David Lynch at #1 and Steven Spielberg not even on the list.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Skylock00

I don't know, it's just a odd list. Hitman Blood Money at #8? Deus Ex better than Half-Life 2? It's like that same list I saw for 100 greatest film directors of all-time with David Lynch at #1 and Steven Spielberg not even on the list.

ASK_Story

That's not how to look at the list though.

I would probably recognize Starcraft as a very important, significant, even great game in the RTS/PC realm of games...but if I was making a list like these guys did, Starcraft would never be in the top 100, period, becuase I don't find it fun to play, at all.

That's the purpose of the list in this case...they don't care about recognizing which games are more significant, memorable, important, better designed, or what have you...it's just a list of games they like to play, in order of how much they like to play it.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Hmm... No X-Com games and Tf2 is a big WTF for me. Nice list though. I like that it isn't an all serious list that tries to be museum worthy.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I always disagree with these lists simply because my taste is rather uncommon. At least I can agree with the games they included, just not the order. But who decided to put Medieval II instead of Rome on there?
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

ASK_Story

Deus Ex better than Half-Life 2? It's like that same list I saw for 100 greatest film directors of all-time with David Lynch at #1 and Steven Spielberg not even on the list.

Both very much in line with my own opinions there :lol:

Personally I'd never even consider choosing Half-Life 2 over Half-Life. And even then Deus Ex would be higher on the list.

leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts

Dutch_Mix

Halo has never been regarded as a decent pc game.

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#32 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Skylock00

That's not how to look at the list though.

I would probably recognize Starcraft as a very important, significant, even great game in the RTS/PC realm of games...but if I was making a list like these guys did, Starcraft would never be in the top 100, period, becuase I don't find it fun to play, at all.

That's the purpose of the list in this case...they don't care about recognizing which games are more significant, memorable, important, better designed, or what have you...it's just a list of games they like to play, in order of how much they like to play it.

Sounds about right to me. Me personally, I wouldn't put Starcraft in my top 100 either.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Dutch_Mix

Considering this is a PC-only list, I don't think either Halo game should be on it...both ports were mediocre.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts
Holy cow! The boring, overrated The Longest Journey at #18 and Starcraft at #100? ouch!
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

leejohnson7

True. It's one of the reasons I feel quite disconnected with a large part of the PC gaming community although I'm mainly a PC gamer myself. The ignorance it can show towards certain games is completely unbelievable.

Considering this is a PC-only list, I don't think either Halo game should be on it...both ports were mediocre.

JML897

Partly true but Halo: Custom Edition is easily the best version of the game IMO. I know it isn't "official" but it fixed most of the problems except the bad performance which it also made less bad

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AFBrat77

Apparently, PC gamer is a big orange box fan.sonicare

Can't really blame them there.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AFBrat77
[QUOTE="leejohnson7"][QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

inoperativeRS

True. It's one of the reasons I feel quite disconnected with a large part of the PC gaming community although I'm mainly a PC gamer myself. The ignorance it can show towards certain games is completely unbelievable.

Halo just never was anything special in the PC world. Plenty of better FPS games even when it made it to the PC.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inoperativeRS

Holy cow! The boring, overrated The Longest Journey at #18 and Starcraft at #100? ouch!AFBrat77

Speak for yourself :P

TLJ deserves that position IMO and I'm completely with Skylock regarding Starcraft.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Skylock00
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="leejohnson7"][QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

AFBrat77

Halo just never was anything special in the PC world. Plenty of better FPS games even when it made it to the PC.

Plus, Halo is a rather controversial situation, as it was so hyped to being a PC game for so long (to the point where PC Gamer had an issue and an entire CD focused on just Halo for the PC when it was still in development), until it got swept away and made exclusively for the XBox, and then ported back to the PC from the XBox iteration.

Then again, IIRC, Halo was originally suppose to be a Macintosh game, much like the majority of Bungie's earlier games.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]Holy cow! The boring, overrated The Longest Journey at #18 and Starcraft at #100? ouch!inoperativeRS

TLJ deserves that position IMO and I'm completely with Skylock regarding Starcraft.

lol, TLJ was the most dissapointing game I have ever played. I'll never forget that ridiculous unintuitive rubber duck puzzle, and thats for starters. Best part was in the middle of game. Grim Fandango is far superior. Is that on the list? It should be!

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="leejohnson7"][QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

AFBrat77

Oh in my opinion it was. Probably still my favorite FPS of the 00's. But as I said my taste is rather unconventional.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AFBrat77
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="leejohnson7"][QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Skylock00

Plus, Halo is a rather controversial situation, as it was so hyped to being a PC game for so long (to the point where PC Gamer had an issue and an entire CD focused on just Halo for the PC when it was still in development), until it got swept away and made exclusively for the XBox, and then ported back to the PC from the XBox iteration.

Then again, IIRC, Halo was originally suppose to be a Macintosh game, much like the majority of Bungie's earlier games.

Bungie's best game IMO was Myth 2: Soulblighter, good stuff!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Oblivion at 7th is fail. Quantifying game quality is impossible, I don't understand how people can make lists like these while considering games inherent quality.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="leejohnson7"][QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Skylock00

Shh, that is a rather sweet spot I've come to discover :P

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]Holy cow! The boring, overrated The Longest Journey at #18 and Starcraft at #100? ouch!AFBrat77

lol, TLJ was the most dissapointing game I have ever played. Grim Fandango is far superior. Is that on the list? It should be!

Grim Fandango is superb as well but far superior? I'd call that taking it too far :P

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 inoperativeRS

AFBrat77

Good to see another Myth fan here! I'm more of a Marathon person myself but the Myth games are some of my favorite RTS's as well.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Skylock00

Oblivion at 7th is fail. Quantifying game quality is impossible, I don't understand how people can make lists like these while considering games inherent quality.foxhound_fox
Because for this sort of list, quality is irrelevent to the game's placement. The only factor they used was how much fun they have playing the games they put on the list, period.

While I question their tastes regarding some of their choices, I would in no way call their list or choices 'wrong,' because the nature of the list kind of avoids that point.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

HAHAHA...

No.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Skylock00

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

inoperativeRS

Good to see another Myth fan here! I'm more of a Marathon person myself but the Myth games are some of my favorite RTS's as well.

Hmf. You can take your Myths and Marathons, and make them cower in fear of the true greatness that was Pathways to Darkness. That was a game that was way ahead of its time in so many ways...and boy was it hard as heck to play. I never beat it, myself. :P

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

Skylock00

Hmf. You can take your Myths and Marathons, and make them cower in fear of the true greatness that was Pathways to Darkness. That was a game that was way ahead of its time in so many ways...and boy was it hard as heck to play. I never beat it, myself. :P

You played Pathways :o

I played it as well (long after the release simply because of my love for Marathon :P) on the easiest difficulty setting. I had to use cheats to beat it. It is indeed so ahead of its time my head almost hurts when I think about it. It's worth playing if only because of the story IMO. Those nazis got what they deserved, HAH!