Old school horror games were better.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58550f2b585f7
deactivated-58550f2b585f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-58550f2b585f7
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

Although they were cheesy and often had rubbish controls, the older horror games were far more interesting than many of the current-gen ones. Games like RE 4-6 and Dead Space are fine if you like action where your only real goal is to shoot anything with a heartbeat, but they severely lack the atmosphere and chills of games like the RE 1 remake, Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame and Clock Tower. I occasionally go back and play old games like the original Silent Hill, the first Blair Witch game, Dino Crisis, etc. All are quite decent and to me feel underrated. Well, not Silent Hill obviously, but many others come and went without getting much notice. 

I find the characters in modern day games to be kind of boring. The music is also deliberately loud and boring. Half the games are in neon filled locations. The story is usually second to the gameplay. The new RE games aren't scary at all because the monsters are just basically rehases of other enemies and most of the time you have loads of ammo and a group of partners by your side, whether they're non playable AI partners or co-op (online / local) helpers. That just isn't scary at all.

What do you think? 

tempertress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2 tempertress
Member since 2012 • 1131 Posts
It's weird because with all the graphical and technical advances in modern games devs should be able to create the perfect storm of a horrifying game experience but they haven't. I think Amnesia: The Dark Descent came close and Machine for Pigs will come even closer.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
It's weird because with all the graphical and technical advances in modern games devs should be able to create the perfect storm of a horrifying game experience but they haven't. I think Amnesia: The Dark Descent came close and Machine for Pigs will come even closer.tempertress
T
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
It's weird because with all the graphical and technical advances in modern games devs should be able to create the perfect storm of a horrifying game experience but they haven't. I think Amnesia: The Dark Descent came close and Machine for Pigs will come even closer.tempertress
Totally with you on that one. Modern horror has NOTHING on old school horror except for the graphics. Sure, the plots were convuluted but also very gratifying to dig down deep into.