This topic is locked from further discussion.

zelda450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 zelda450
Member since 2006 • 664 Posts
Hey, I was just wondering if any of you guys know any differences between the Genesis/SNES versions of NHL '93-'98. I've heard from some people that the Genesis versions of the game are better, but I was wondering what some of you thought. I've been playing NHL '94 on the SNES like there's no tomorrow, and want to know which systems games are better so I can buy a few more. Thanks for any help :)
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#2 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
...You only need one sports game for each generation. Each year is just an updated roster for the sports nerds. There isnt really any benefit to buying more unless you get a newer console in which case there will be a jump in graphics and mechanics. NHL on the ps2 is ok. You can make your players, make a team, customize the color of their gear, and customize the whole AI of the game to make it as easy or as hard as you like.

I only turn to sports games when I am truly bored out of my mind with all my other games lol. I would recommend getting something else to play or to save up for a ps2!
biohazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 biohazard
Member since 2002 • 953 Posts
my neihbor used to have snes and genesis and he'd always buy all of his sports games for the genesis, too. he said they played better on the sega but i never saw them side by side or anything so i've always just takin his word for it.
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
...You only need one sports game for each generation. Each year is just an updated roster for the sports nerds. There isnt really any benefit to buying more unless you get a newer console in which case there will be a jump in graphics and mechanics. NHL on the ps2 is ok. You can make your players, make a team, customize the color of their gear, and customize the whole AI of the game to make it as easy or as hard as you like.

I only turn to sports games when I am truly bored out of my mind with all my other games lol. I would recommend getting something else to play or to save up for a ps2!_AbBaNdOn

Pointless and wrong.

I still have my Genesis hooked up and NHL 94 in it right now. My roomate at the time had it on the SNES. The only real difference is the SNES had better def controlls. You couldn't controll the wings on the Genesis. It was easier to play slightly though.

zelda450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zelda450
[QUOTE="_AbBaNdOn"]...You only need one sports game for each generation. Each year is just an updated roster for the sports nerds. There isnt really any benefit to buying more unless you get a newer console in which case there will be a jump in graphics and mechanics. NHL on the ps2 is ok. You can make your players, make a team, customize the color of their gear, and customize the whole AI of the game to make it as easy or as hard as you like.

I only turn to sports games when I am truly bored out of my mind with all my other games lol. I would recommend getting something else to play or to save up for a ps2!strayzilla

Pointless and wrong.

I still have my Genesis hooked up and NHL 94 in it right now. My roomate at the time had it on the SNES. The only real difference is the SNES had better def controlls. You couldn't controll the wings on the Genesis. It was easier to play slightly though.

Thanks for the help, but what do you mean by couldn't control the wings and that it's easier to play? Thanks again.

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

Well the SNES controller has shoulder buttons.. THe Genesis doesn't. So on the SNES you can just hold the shoulder button down on either side to have better control of the wing. Genesis you couldn't. It was more of an all or nothing controll.

Also, since the SNES has four face buttons as opposed to the Genesis three, one button is kinda doubled up whereason the SNES it's not. When you get used to playing that way it's almost eaiser to play with and harder to defend against.

zelda450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zelda450
Alright, makes sense, thanks.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts
ive always heard the genesis was better than the snes for sports games. but since i dont own a snes i can't say for sure. but I know for sure that I loved NHL94. The controls, animations and music were improved quite a bit. the only thing 94 was missing was the fighting. I played 95 a little, didnt like it as much. so i dont think I ever played another newer NHL game on the genesis after that. but really i moved on to the Playstation in 96 i think anyways.
weltall1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 weltall1028
Member since 2007 • 4775 Posts

I heard that SNES sports game always had crummy defense, especially the Madden games.

The only hockey game I played for either system was the Genesis version of NHLPA 93. It's lots of fun, used to play it constantly. Gotta love those 16 bit fights!:P

prime1alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 prime1alpha
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts

Here is some of the small differences between the two systems when it comes to the Ea NHL games.

There is different looking menus, and it is easier to Injure another player on the genesis in nhl 94, but the snes had better sound effects for that year.

And in NHLPA'93 for the genesis you could edit your lines making it easier to get into fights, the snes version doesnt do it, Also the genesis has NHL 97 and If memory serves me correctly the snes doesnt but either way it sucked anyways.

so really you aren't missing out on anything, because They are pretty much the same games.

Oh I almost forgot to tell you that, they brought back the fighting in nhl'96 for both systems.

speed_ballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 speed_ballz
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

EA's NHL games always seemed to play better on the Genesis. Apparently, the Genesis had better CPU for sports titles compared to the SNES. NHL '94 was one of the all-time great sports titles for EA, and each version before this was very good. Personally, I started to dislike the series once NHL '96 came around. Eventually, I switched to PCs and haven't looked back to consoles unless the games were exceptional.

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts

I'm on the boat for; I always heard the Genesis versions were better but haven't actually played the SNES to compare. I always remember hearing the Genesis version was smoother or faster or better gameplay. The controller thing may be an issue as far as options like the one guy said. Although, NHL94 or 95 played to perfection on the Genesis.

Those are my favorite sports game of all time hands down. It is a hard choice since I like 94's gameplay better, but the massive season, player customization, and season awards gave 95 infinitely more replay and accomplishments. If only there was a way to play those games again :( and no, I'm not buying a Genesis for that.