Official Starhawk Thread of mechs, landspeeders and flamethrowers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

See the last post for details on 1.04 and the new maps.

Starhawk, the innovative third person shooter/rts is finally hitting next week (I've been going through withdrawal ever since the beta ended). Starhawk's setting is the futuristic old west. People harvest rift energy, which is extremely valuable but extremely dangerous due to its mutagenic properties. The mutateted tend to go insane, fighting the humans for the control of the rift energy. The star of the game is Emmett Graves, a man who survived an explosion of rift energy but was left somewhat mutated. His brother unfortuantely was completely mutated and he is the leader of the mutants. The team has stated that the campaign gives the players flexibility in how they want to deal with enemies. One can run and gun or one can call down a jeep and use to to run over enemies and one can call up automated turrents, etc (there is a very wide variety of weapons and vehicles).

Starhawk image 3508165

There is an extensive multiplayer which boasts a couple modes (including co-op survival and competitive modes such as Zones and CTF). In the multiplayer as in the single player, players build (and destory) bases (factories, walls laser turrents, sniper towers, force fields, bunkers, spawn points, etc). Its worth keeping in mind that there are many ways multiplayer matches can start off (the host decides). Some multiplayer games start off with fully build bases (which teams can modify to fit their needs) some start off with players standing in the middle of an open area but with a ton of energy to quickly build a base, some start off with players having nothing and thus needing to go easy on base construction and heavy on energy harvesting out of the gate. Also, the range of vehicles in a match (there are four vehicles but only three can exist in a given match).

Starhawk Image

All Starhawk Beta Participants get the option to equip a hand with a glowing light rotating around it (which doesn't give us any advantages, it just lets people know what we played a role in the beta) and those of us who are also Warhawk vets also get skins we can apply to any of the vehicles to make them match Warhawk's color schemes.

Starhawk Image

IMPORTANT Everyone who wants Starhawk should preorder at Gamestop (sigh) because that is the only way one gets the limited edition, which is the same price as the regular edition but includes the PS1 classic Warhawk, an exclusive online lobby, skins, the soundtrack, a co-op map and a map designed as a playground for the ground vehicles.

6832472351_5f9db1ae20_z.jpg

Below is the single player trailer and below that is second mission in its entirety, which boasts heavy use of the mech/jet (though also a lot of on foot action).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/single-player-starhawk/729569

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mission-2-starhawk/729711

Below is the best of the multiplayer trailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/public-beta-starhawk/727222

Starhawk is looking great, and as Dylan Jobe stated, it shipping isn't the end of the team's involvement, but merely a new beginning. Warhawk shipped in great form and I expect Starhawk will do the same. As with Warhawk, Lightbox Interactive has a vision of what it wants its game to be, but is still good about listening to criticism (what they are doing wrong) and suggestions (what they could do better). He expects a lot of such feedback after Starhawk launches and as with Warhawk will no doubt use it to tweak the core game and to decide which direction DLC goes in (Warhawk's DLC packs were great and introduced some stuff which is in Starhawk right from the start).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

You should make a Starhawk hype thread for System Wars, Carnage. You could just copy & paste this and add a hype poll.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

You should make a Starhawk hype thread for System Wars, Carnage. You could just copy & paste this and add a hype poll.

Bigboi500

now that would be a disaster looking at the current state of that forum.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

TheFallenDemon

I admit that forum has turned to almost complete garbage, but over here this thread will probably get almost totally ignored.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Damn, I thought this was going to come out in July. May is f**king up my wallet.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bigboi500

It should also be mentioned that anyone who bought Twisted Metal got a Sweet Tooth outcast skin for this game.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

I admit that forum has turned to almost complete garbage, but over here this thread will probably get almost totally ignored.

I normally don't post in SW, but later today I'll follow your suggestion.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

CarnageHeart

Awesome. I'll PM a couple of mods I know and see if they'll sticky it for ya.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I admit that forum has turned to almost complete garbage, but over here this thread will probably get almost totally ignored.

Bigboi500

I'll probably do it around 6 PM EST. Anyway, which are you going to play first, the campaign or the multiplayer? As per my usual, I figure I'll beat the campaign first, then try out the multiplayer.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"] I normally don't post in SW, but later today I'll follow your suggestion.CarnageHeart

I'll probably do it around 6 PM EST. Anyway, which are you going to play first, the campaign or the multiplayer? As per my usual, I figure I'll beat the campaign first, then try out the multiplayer.

This is one of the few occassions where I'll go straight for the multiplayer. Since they took the beta down I've been jonesing for it. :P I'll get in to the sp pretty early though. I'm hyping this game @ 9.5. Might be wishful thinking but I think it's a solid game from all that I've played of it.

Haziqonfire told me he'd sticky the thread for you this afternoon.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Awesome. I'll PM a couple of mods I know and see if they'll sticky it for ya.

Bigboi500

This is one of the few occassions where I'll go straight for the multiplayer. Since they took the beta down I've been jonesing for it. :P I'll get in to the sp pretty early though. I'm hyping this game @ 9.5. Might be wishful thinking but I think it's a solid game from all that I've played of it.

Can't blame you, I'm eager to experience the new multiplayer maps (and of course learn where the magnetic mines are). As you probably know, they are easy to spot, but if you put them where people aren't expecting them and thus aren't looking for them, hilarity can ensure.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Carnage i wont be buying this game. That's what you get for not picking up Uncharted Golden Abyss.

;p

I will probably pick it up in the summer lull. Right now i am addicted to MLB The Show, have totally forgotten about The Witcher 2 and Journey, and have no desire to play ME3 that just arrived from Amazon. Not to mention i need to finish Unit 13, Golden Abyss and Rayman.

I am interested in the SP. So may redbox it for a day or two. MP will take a longer commitment.

BTW, there is a SP mistake in the title.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart

Carnage i wont be buying this game. That's what you get for not picking up Uncharted Golden Abyss.

;p

I will probably pick it up in the summer lull. Right now i am addicted to MLB The Show, have totally forgotten about The Witcher 2 and Journey, and have no desire to play ME3 that just arrived from Amazon. Not to mention i need to finish Unit 13, Golden Abyss and Rayman.

I am interested in the SP. So may redbox it for a day or two. MP will take a longer commitment.

S0lidSnake

Fair enough, I saw a bit of the Witcher at my brother's place, it looked really interesting.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

;p

S0lidSnake
I'm in the same boat, I have to find a way to play the dozen or so games in my backlog before buying anything at all, PSN games excluded (I really want unfinished Swan). I have this week off so I want to finish 1 or two games but they are all massive in size.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"] I'll probably do it around 6 PM EST. Anyway, which are you going to play first, the campaign or the multiplayer? As per my usual, I figure I'll beat the campaign first, then try out the multiplayer.

CarnageHeart

Can't blame you, I'm eager to experience the new multiplayer maps (and of course learn where the magnetic mines are). As you probably know, they are easy to spot, but if you put them where people aren't expecting them and thus aren't looking for them, hilarity can ensure.

Don't I know it. On the Space map with the jet pack and a supply of mines, I would cause major chaos to the enemy. Dropping mines on the inside of weapons bunkers, on the spawn panels of Starhawks and Razors, the tops of sniper towers, around the flag, and most importantly, dropping them when you're being chased with the enemy flag. :lol: It's a sure way to get players to hate you and hunt you down with a vengence.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

another month, another empty wallet

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 S0lidSnake

Been playing the campaign the past day or so and I must say I'm liking it a lot. I love being able to call structures and reinforcements, it's truly unlike anything else out there. Not a fan of the low res graphics or the cutscnees (Especially since they keep going out of sync), but loving the RTS elements so far. Exactly what I needed after playing a million linear shooters.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart

Been playing the campaign the past day or so and I must say I'm liking it a lot. I love being able to call structures and reinforcements, it's truly unlike anything else out there. Not a fan of the low res graphics or the cutscnees (Especially since they keep going out of sync), but loving the RTS elements so far. Exactly what I needed after playing a million linear shooters.

S0lidSnake

Interesting. I didn't think much of the campaign, but I might have felt differently if I hadn't played the multiplayer first.

Speaking of the multiplayer, I recommend you give it a try. I recommend starting with Zones. If there are a couple well populated Zones matches going on I suggest hopping into a match with a groundpounder loadout.

Of course, if you want a gentle start (relatively), I recommend playing CTF and hanging out close to your base (so you always have a lot of company) ranging further and further out as you get more comfortable.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

CarnageHeart

Interesting. I didn't think much of the campaign, but I might have felt differently if I hadn't played the multiplayer first.

That might be it. The beta confused me because I had access to everything at once and nothing made sense. But starting out slow and getting introduced to new abilities one by one is exactly what the game needs. I remember my first few days with Warhawk, nothing made sense lol. Of course, I understand if you've gotten accustomed to the mechanics already by extensively playing the mp then most of it might seem like a chore.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigboi500

I've gotten all the multiplayer trophies and just need the 'hard + merc campaigns' and 'win 50 prospector games' trophies for platinum.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CarnageHeart

I've gotten all the multiplayer trophies and just need the 'hard + merc campaigns' and 'win 50 prospector games' trophies for platinum.

Bigboi500

Cool. I don't pay attention to trophies, but I doubt I have anywhere near all of the Starhawk trophies. Trophies tend to require you to jump through hoops but I just stick to my playstyle (aggressive, on the ground and often close range). I do wish I was a good pilot and/or a good sniper, but I'm not.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

CarnageHeart

Cool. I don't pay attention to trophies, but I doubt I have anywhere near all of the Starhawk trophies. Trophies tend to require you to jump through hoops but I just stick to my playstyle (aggressive, on the ground and often close range). I do wish I was a good pilot and/or a good sniper, but I'm not.

I was looking at the trophies and given what it takes (in terms of the number of kills) to unlock them, I definetely don't want to meet you on the battlefield.

Anyway, I played a couple awesome rounds of Zones this morning. In Warhawk I was mostly a CTF guy, but in Starhawk if there is a packed games of Zones, I jump in. There is so much back and forth. You wage an intense battle only to find out that some clever @sshole went and grabbed one of your bases nobody was paying attention to (when my team is swamped I try to be that @sshole).

Every match I play I tend to have more deaths than anyone, but I also rack up a lot of captures and a lot of kills (last match I had 33 deaths and 33 kills, whereas the guy with the most kills had 40 kills and 9 deaths). What I lack in skill I try to make up for in enthusiasm :P.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

CarnageHeart

I was looking at the trophies and given what it takes (in terms of the number of kills) to unlock them, I definetely don't want to meet you on the battlefield.

Anyway, I played a couple awesome rounds of Zones this morning. In Warhawk I was mostly a CTF guy, but in Starhawk if there is a packed games of Zones, I jump in. There is so much back and forth. You wage an intense battle only to find out that some clever @sshole went and grabbed one of your bases nobody was paying attention to (when my team is swamped I try to be that @sshole).

Every match I play I tend to have more deaths than anyone, but I also rack up a lot of captures and a lot of kills (last match I had 33 deaths and 33 kills, whereas the guy with the most kills had 40 kills and 9 deaths). What I lack in skill I try to make up for in enthusiasm :P.

33 kills in a match is very impressive, and the 33 deaths tells me you went all out for the team. Sometimes you gotta say "screw it" and sacrifice your k/d ratio to ensure a victory, at least that's what I do when a win is needed. I hate it when I see players not helping out and only trying to get a bunch of kills while not doing anything else productive.

At one point I made it up to a global ranking of #385, and a friend of mine was ranked as high as 19th (he only pilots a hawk though, never going after a flag or getting into the thick of the battle).

When it comes to zones, I discovered a little secret. You're probably familiar with it if you play zones often enough, who ever can capture the middle area and keep it/build it up usually wins since it's central to everything else.

One thing that pisses me off to no end are the jerks who host matches and kick you when you're pwning them. I once got kicked in the middle of the battlefield with a flag on my way back to the base. Just yesterday I joined a tdm with only myself and the host, and he kicked me immediately just for a quick win.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Bigboi500

33 kills in a match is very impressive, and the 33 deaths tells me you went all out for the team. Sometimes you gotta say "screw it" and sacrifice your k/d ratio to ensure a victory, at least that's what I do when a win is needed. I hate it when I see players not helping out and only trying to get a bunch of kills while not doing anything else productive.

At one point I made it up to a global ranking of #385, and a friend of mine was ranked as high as 19th (he only pilots a hawk though, never going after a flag or getting into the thick of the battle).

When it comes to zones, I discovered a little secret. You're probably familiar with it if you play zones often enough, who ever can capture the middle area and keep it/build it up usually wins since it's central to everything else.

One thing that pisses me off to no end are the jerks who host matches and kick you when you're pwning them. I once got kicked in the middle of the battlefield with a flag on my way back to the base. Just yesterday I joined a tdm with only myself and the host, and he kicked me immediately just for a quick win.

Interesting. I've never been kicked, but on a possibly related note, my ranking is in the three thousands. I get a lot of kills with mines and grenades, though of late I find myself using the grinder a lot.

I don't mind players who hang back so long as they hang around. For whatever reason, the matches I've played have very few dropouts and people fight hard to the end. I like to think that the sort of idiots that quit games just because the other team currently had the advantage drifted on to other games (thankfully).

Recently it seems like the only time teams find themselves shorthanded is if the host has the bad judgement to put only 5 seconds between the matches (which denies people the opportunity to drop out between battles).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Interesting. I've never been kicked, but on a possibly related note, my ranking is in the three thousands. I get a lot of kills with mines and grenades, though of late I find myself using the grinder a lot.

I don't mind players who hang back so long as they hang around. For whatever reason, the matches I've played have very few dropouts and people fight hard to the end. I like to think that the sort of idiots that quit games just because the other team currently had the advantage drifted on to other games (thankfully).

Recently it seems like the only time teams find themselves shorthanded is if the host has the bad judgement to put only 5 seconds between the matches (which denies people the opportunity to drop out between battles).

I've apparently become more competent because I've started to get kicked even in large matches. I think that is a feature that needs to be removed. Griefing isn't something that occurs often in Starhawk nowadays so at this point all it does is allow hosts to cheat. Still, most hosts aren't @ssholes and when the chips are allowed to fall where they may some games are incredibly intense. Like Warhawk, this can have long legs if it's carefully managed.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart

The Cypress Map Pack hit yesterday alongside revision 1.3. Below are two pictures of the map packs and a list of all of the revisions of 1.03. Sounds like they've addressed at least partially my complaint about abusive kicking. Having spent five hours last night and this morning playing the new map packs/revision, my dominant impression is that CTF is a much faster, more spread out game in part because a team no longer needs to have possession of its own flag to score (as was needed in the past). In post 1.03 CTF games several players still guard the flag and build installations to assist them in their task, but most of the team plays the map (if you have control of the map, you make like easier for friendly flag thieves and tougher for enemy flag thieves). I played a series of 3 points to win game and while one team only scored the max points half the time, the game was never scoreless.

Life for flag thieves is hard though. My KDR was in the toilet some of the matches (though my team did win most of the matches). I got some gratifying steals. Once I ran over one defender with a speeder bike, then used my bike as a springboard to get to the platform the flag was located on, then stabbed another defender in the chest, then grabbed the flag, then stabbed another defender (who would have known I was there if he kept an eye on his map) in the back right after he generated a landspeeder. Then I sped off and got the score. God knows most of my attempts to steal the flag didn't end so well, but I prefer not to remember all the times I got stomped on my a mech, sniped or crushed by a pod.

Zones is as crazy as ever (both teams strive to control and grow zones which give them the points they need to win and allow them to spawn). It hasn't been changed by 1.03, but it doesn't need a change.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/10/starhawk-free-cypress-map-pack-update-1-03-today/

7751287922_61fbc4deaa_z.jpg

7751286624_3ff4462a04_z.jpg

Prestige Levels: In the initial version of Starhawk, we supported levels 1-50. To be quite honest, we thought that would have the player community covered for quite some time. However, we had underestimated the rate at which people were going to get through the levels so we had to accelerate the release of our prestige levels for those players who are above 50. The Prestige levels in Starhawk are not numbers; theyre a Greek symbol ranking of ALPHA through OMEGA. The Greek symbol will be displayed by your name in-game. These are very hard ranks to achieve and the jump from level 50 to ALPHA is steep because these are really intended for the hard-core community.

New Space Homeworld Waypoint: In Starhawk, Homeworlds are like lobbies. They are 3D levels where you and your friends can go to party-up, talk tactics and then pick a game to join. This new Homeworld is a cool space station. We added this because we really wanted players to enter a deep-space lobby to mess around in.

Team-Balance Fixes: There were some bugs in the party/clan cohesion system where servers would keep parties and clans together in *ALL* cases and this resulted in some brutally mis-matched games. This has been fixed! There were some other issues that resulted in messed-up team balance and we have resolved those as well. Should be a ton better!

Revamped Voice Chat System: During the initial launch of Starhawk we received reports from the player community about voice-chat dropping after a few games or in some cases, the voice-chat would simply not work. As you can imagine in a deep, team-based game like Starhawk, voice-chat is critical. So we did a ton of digging to find-out what the issue was and it ended up requiring a change to our Client/Server voice system. This change makes the VOIP far more stable and resolves the voice connection issues that some players had been experiencing in the past.

Push-to-Talk Option: This was requested by so many players, and in concert with the revamped Voice Chat System, the PTT option really is a great addition. Now players have the option to have their microphone turn on when they press L3 rather than automatically when they talk. I guess, too many players were being yelled at by their Moms, had crying babies in the background, or hell, maybe both! You can find the PTT option in the Audio Settings menu in the Uplink.

Vulture Jet-Pack Eject: Players are now allowed to dismount while flying around in a Starhawk if they have a handy dandy Vulture Jet-Pack equipped.

Rift Barrels on Mini-Map: To help aid players and their use of the Build & Battle system, we decided to add small icons on the mini-map where weve placed the Rift Energy Caches those are the barrels that you shoot that burst open with Rift Energy that you can spend to build your arsenal of destruction. The blips on the map are displayed when the barrels are active and are *NOT* displayed when the barrels are waiting to respawn.

Bug Fixes: These are not as super-sexy as free maps, but the fact that they are fixed will really help the community. We also addressed some host migration issues, a number of crashes and network instability issues, and even the laggy pick-up bug was fixed as well.

Ranked Option: Another feature that was requested by players was really two requests related to how games post stats. The first point brought up by players was regarding stat-padding going on in password protected games, and since those games were password protected, they should not count as real ranked games. Now, you can still have a very private game with a password but your stats will not post. Also, if you are having a Clan vs. Clan game you have the option to turn stats on or off because it might be a practice or scrimmage. Furthermore, if you are doing a Clan Scrimmage (your clan in both Rifter & Outcast slots) the stats will *NOT* post to the server. This is to keep clans from stat-padding in locked-out games.

Skills Shortcut at the Respawn Screen: Players really wanted a quick way to change skills without having to leave the respawn screen. Sowe added a little tab in the upper right corner of the respawn screen that allows you to press TRIANGLE and jump right to the skills menu! Oh, and we also now allow you to change your skill at other places in the Uplink instead of only in-game.

Build & Battle Icons While Respawning: Another thing we did to help players when using the Build & Battle system was to display a simple graphic icon of each of the structures on the battlefield as the player is drop-poding into combat. This simple change really helps players know what structures are already built and helps them make better use of the stuff their team has built. Not to mention it helps let you know immediately where you should run when you crack-open your drop-pod!

Display Nearby Build & Battle Structures: There are now some new visuals to help players recognize Build & Battle structures that are built nearby. For starters, any time you place a structure; Starhawk very clearly displays how many are nearby. It also now highlights those nearby structures on your map *AND* displays some markers on the edge of the screen to help inform you that not only is there a structure nearby, but which direction it is.

Cooldowns for Host Kick and Team Switch: There were a number of exploits that could occur in the original version of Starhawk where players would change teams rapidly or a host would quickly kick a ton of players. That can no longer occur because we track when you perform one of these actions and block you from doing it again for a set amount of time and we can tune the time if we need to.

Interactive Music Update: After playing Starhawk for so many hours, we really felt that the music was not kicking-in as frequently as we wanted it to. There were many times when youd be in the heat of combat and thered be no music at all. We felt this hurt the pacing and in fact some players in our community noticed the same thing. So the 1.03 Update includes some new tweaks to the interactive music system and the more frequent music makes a big difference.

Capture the Flag Scoring Change: Weve been playing CTF in Starhawk a ton here in the studio and weve always felt that there were too many games ending in draws or times when the match would get into awkward stalemates. So with the 1.03 Update, we have changed one of the key rules for CTF and one of the key contributors to the stalemates. Now, to score a point in CTF, you need to take the enemy flag back to your base period. Your teams flag does *NOT* need to be there for you to score. Now certainly, your team still needs to play defense because you dont want the enemy team taking your flag and scoring, but this change makes the pacing so much better. Much faster and far fewer draws and stalemates.

Sorting Unlocked Customization: Now this is more of a simple convenience thing but we changed the way the various characters and vehicle customization options are presented so that the unlocked ones are always displayed at the top of the list. Not a super-big change at all but I thought Id include it here.

Drop-Pod Upgrade: One of the things that we were experimenting with during our Starhawk playtests to help combat base-ravaging was to make the Drop-Pod more deadly. Our whole design goal with the drop-pod system was to make the act of respawning in your home base an incredibly powerful weapon. This was to help combat against base-ravaging. After a lot of review, and play testing and tweaking, we decided to upgrade the drop-pods to be more maneuverable *AND* have an increased impact radius. This along with some changes we made to the respawn timer really makes a huge positive impact on the reduction of base-ravaging.

Custom Music via XMB: In Warhawk we added support for your own music and were doing the same in Starhawk. The 1.03 Update now allows you to play your own music through the XMB. So if you want to experience Starhawks unique Build & Battle gameplay while blaring Pat Benatar you totally can!

Dylan Jobe also teased 1.4.

So now that this blog post is done Ive got to get back to work. We still have even more great stuff on the way for all of you in our next 1.04 Update! Ive already exhausted my daily allotment of blog words but the 1.04 Update is another meaty one. Stuff like two entirely new gameplay modes, 5 new smaller layouts, even some new Build & Battle load-outs, and a bunch of other stuff too.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CarnageHeart

A bunch of new details about 1.4 have been revealed. This free update includes 5 news maps, three new modes, a couple structures (undisclosed), a couple new loadouts (what range of vehicles and buildings are availible within a given round) and some balance tweaks. The balance tweaks include more weapons scattered around the map, a penalty (and a loss) for dropping out mid match (which honestly was a problem early on but not recently since most of the riff raff have drifted away) and the removal of a perk which allowed players to destroy mechs and buildings with a swing or two of a knife (?!). That was an annoying perk and it won't be missed. The perk is being modfied to make people spawn with the grinder, a flamethrower type weapon which can destroy anything in a hurry, but isn't as fast as a knife swing.

I think the most interesting new mode (as a ground guy who prefers objective based games) is one in which the two sides take turns playing offense and defense (one round one team has to defend territory and cannot recapture lost territory, the next round the two teams switch hats). That could replace Zones as my favorite mode.

Trailer at the link below.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/20/starhawk-now-on-the-playstation-store/

Also, the multiplayer mode is being offered for sale for $20 and the price of the full game is falling to $40. PS Plus members can play the SP for free (the SP is okay, but nowhere near as awesome as the MP).

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-Blog/It-s-Here-The-1-04-Update/ba-p/38322245

Five New Maps:
Weve always said all of the new maps we make for Starhawk will be free and 1.04 makes good on that promise. We know you wanted some smaller maps and weve delivered. These small maps are great when you have less players and really shine in the new Deathmatch mode too. Add them to your CTF, Zones, DM or TDM game lists. We also included two new Hawk only maps to liven up your aerial combat.

Cypress Glade:
In 1.03 we introduced the lush, green (and swampy!) environment of Cypress and included two brand new maps for this new planet. Now with the addition of small maps weve got one more for you, the tiny islands of Glade. This small map incorporates the gnarly tree roots and expanded pickup locations of the previous maps that were a big hit with players in 1.03 with a more compact layout for intese battles!

Space Relay:
The second small map in this update takes the fight to the tiny Relay station above the planet Dust. There are a lot of tiered walkways on this map: perfect places to get the advantage on the players below you while they are distracted and shooting at someone else.

Scourge Junction:
Our final small map, Scourge Junction, is a derelict extraction site full of Crumbling bridges connecting the islands. Vehicles with vertical mobility are key to victory here, just dont run out of fuel and fall into the acid below!

Scourge Breaker:
This new map for Gatekeeper and Dogfight takes you back to a previously unseen area on Scourge where you can riddle your target with fire from your Hawk.

Space Flotilla:
Ships and asteroids orbit Dust in high concentrations here. Use the asteroids for cover and fly through the ship cargo bays to grab pickups in this new map for Gatekeeper and Dogfight modes!

Three New Game Modes:
Were always thinking about how we can take the core Starhawk gameplay experience and build upon it. These three new game modes are a direct result of extensive internal gameplay sessions and discussions combined with player requests.

Assault:
In this territory control mode the teams are split up into attacker and defender. The attacking team starts at one end of the map with a single drop zone and must capture each of the defending teams control points in order. At the end of the first round the teams switch and the defenders become the attackers. When both rounds are complete the team with the most points wins! Assault is available on all of the original maps, Origin and Collider.

Gatekeeper:
This is our second hawk-only gameplay mode and adds a bit of order to the chaos of Dogfight. Playing like a sports game in space or in the sky players will pick up a ball and attempt to fly it through several rings. Each ring the ball carrier flies through increases his potential score by one. Once he has flown through all of the rings he must then fly through the central gate to score the points, all while the opposing team is trying to shoot him down. Gatekeeper is available on all of the original maps, Origin, Collider, and the new Dogfight/Gatekeeper maps Breaker and Flotilla.

Deathmatch Arena:
Many in the community called for Deathmatch on foot and this new mode is a direct answer to them. Arena matches are fast paced free for all battles where the gear is dropped in from above automatically so all you have to worry about is killing the other players. Since the respawn and drop pod speeds have been significantly increased there is little downtime when you die. This, combined with the generally smaller maps and unpredictable placement of buildings makes for a frantic gameplay experience! Deathmatch Arena is available on Glade, Origin, Relay, Orbital, Junction, Conduit, Outlands, Basin, and Narrows.

Three New Build & Battle Loadouts:

"Trooper" is a loadout that is designed specifically to focus on troop vs. troop combat!

"Light-Weight" is a well balanced loadout that does NOT include larger vehiclels like the Hawk and Ox Tank!

And the "Speeder" loadout focuses on fast vehicle combat and does NOT the Vulture Jetpack!

Ground Pounder, Heavyweight and and Lone Wolf are all seeing slight revisions too!

Tool Tips:
This may seem like a simple convenience change, but one we think is an important improvement. To help players navigate the uplink weve added tooltips to the icons on the menu, and to most of the sub-menu options. One of the most notable features of this change is that now you can see exactly what Build and Battle parts are in a loadout before you start a game.

Recommended Player Counts:
Recommended player counts are a handy way of deciding what maps will play best with the number of players you have. Or you can throw caution to the wind and stuff 32 players into the small maps. Its your choice, and now weve made it easier.

New National Clan Banners:
There was a request on the forums for some banners for countries in the Middle East, so we included Kuwait, Israel, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Rock them if you live there, or you just want to represent your heritage.

More Pickups & Rift Barrels:
We got some really great feedback that the extra pickups and barrels in the new Cypress maps were a hit, so our designers have gone back through all of the old maps and added lots of new pickups. This was a huge fan request and were glad we could make it happen.

M.A.W. Rocket Launcher:
Previously troops didnt really have a lot of options for dealing with the zippy Sidewinder, it was basically dont stand in the open, and hope they dismount. Or maybe you were lucky and had a few proximity mines on hand. Now the M.A.W. locks onto the heat signature of the Sidewinder giving troops on foot a way to deal with the jetbike. This adds a new layer of utility to the M.A.W. and a new layer of complexity for the Sidewinder driver. With no method to scrub the incoming missile, the driver is going to need to use his wits and the terrain to avoid destruction. This change has a dramatic impact on Sidewinder Races in the new CTF.

Grinder:
The Bruiser skill has been replaced with the Grinder skill, allowing you to start the match with a grinder. Weve also made it spin up a bit faster and given it a slight range extension.

Galloway Revolver:
The pistol has had a slight boost to headshot damage, both in and out of OTS!

More Score & Time Options:
With the changes to the capture rules in CTF in 1.03 we wanted to allow for higher scoring games. Now you can go as high as 15. We also heard that you wanted more flexibility with the Zones score limit options so weve added 2500, 5000 and 25000(!) limits. In addition there are several new game length options so you can dial in your perfect game length and these are totally adjustable on our servers. This gives us the power to make these changes based on player feedback without the need for an update!

In-game scoreboard in Deathmatch and Dogfight:
Checking the score in the modes where you were forced to spawn in used to be a drag. The only way you could see it was to open the uplink while everyone else in the game was climbing over each other to be the first one to kill you. Now the scores are displayed in the game without having to take your fingers off the trigger.

XP Payouts for Tier 2 and 3 in Zones:
Previously there wasnt much personal reward for sticking around to get your zones up to rank 2 or 3; XP was only paid out on the initial capture. Now youll get XP for each rank you help secure. So stick around and help your team hold the zone while you collect XP!

Only Clan Leaders & Officers can Initiate a Clan Match:
There was some concern from clan leaders that rogue members were able to create unauthorized clan matches which could have a negative impact on the clans W/L ratio. Now the clan tag options are unavailable to anyone but a clan officer or leader.

Cake and Fist Icons removed:
We removed the cake and fist icons from the game list leaving only the skull icon. Putting a cake icon on a game was a big neon sign that basically said 'fresh meat'. Now new players will know when a game is probably too rough for them, and veterans (all you blue 50+ players) will be able to join the widest number of games possible.

PlayStation Store Button:
A PlayStation Store button has been added to the uplink to make it easy to find new DLC content!

More Rift Energy in Homeworlds:
Weve heard the request for more Rift Energy while in each of the multiplayer Homeworlds. Now you will start with quite a bit more! This should help speed up the rate that you can build stuff!

Starhawk Specific Network Scanner:
To help aid players in debuging their home networks, the Starhawk 1.04 Update includes a new network connection scanner that will trigger automatically in the event of a failed network connection. Certainly disconnects from the internet can happen for a wide variety of reasons, but based on all of the data we have collected, the vast majority of them are related to port blockage on a player's home network. The new network scanner will inform you of any ports that maybe blocked that are negatively impacting your Starhawk connection.

Prospector Tuning & Create Game Changes:
Weve modified how damage is scaled with 2-4 player games. No, four player games are still challenging, but much more manageable. In addition we fixed an issue that was causing certain tough enemies to spawn less than the desired amount in games with less than 4 players. To put the icing on these changes weve also increased the XP payout in co-op mode. And to make Prospector games easier to start and join weve given you the ability to set a game name, difficulty and make the game public or private. Public games will now show up on the game list.

Quickmatch Improvements:
We've added all three new game modes as well as Prospector mode to the Quickmatch menu to make finding them a snap!

Rage Quit Penalty:
Nobody likes a sore loser (unless its in a hilarious youtube video) so players who rage quit the game while it is in progress will now post a loss. We know that there are times and circumstances where players should be allowed to quit out and we have allowed for that in this new system. Players will not take the quit penalty if they leave in the first 5 minutes of joining a game, if they have very low skill score, or have earned 0XP so far in the match. In addtion we have made this all tuneable on the server so that we can make adustments to the system to ensure that its accomplishing our goal of enforcing good sportsmanship.

Up Next Display:
And because we recognized that the only way you could tell what map was next was to load into it AND we recognized that maybe you didnt want to play that one AND we recognized that the only way out was to take a quit penalty we added the next round details to the intermission screen. Between rounds the map, loadout and mode will be displayed in the upper right hand corner. No more surprises when the CTF game you joined turns into TDM!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bigboi500

Scrap the cheap-assed melee tank-killer perk? Fvck yes! The only thing I'm concerned about now is the penalizations for leaving matches. I get a fair amount of random disconnects from time to time. I wonder if they'll be able to tell the diff between rage-quitting and those random disconnects?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CarnageHeart

Scrap the cheap-assed melee tank-killer perk? Fvck yes! The only thing I'm concerned about now is the penalizations for leaving matches. I get a fair amount of random disconnects from time to time. I wonder if they'll be able to tell the diff between rage-quitting and those random disconnects?

Bigboi500

Yeah, no more will 30 foot tall mechs slowly back away as guys run at them with switchblades :P.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CarnageHeart

I was playing CTF over the weekend. I love how teams have gotten away from turtling up (building a crapload of fortifications around the flag and ceding the rest of the map, esentially playing not to lose) and have started to focus on map control (light defenses around the flag, relying on the bases one has scattered all over the map to stop invaders, essentially playing to win).

Anyway, some details I should have posted last week. The SP campaign (which is mediocre but different) is free for PS plus guys. The (excellent) online campaign is being sold for only 20 bucks and the full game is being sold for $40. I recommend just going with online. The SP campaign is different than the norm, but its not something I recommend. The MP (also unlike anything else out there) is where Starhawk's greatness is.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/20/starhawk-now-on-the-playstation-store/comment-page-2/#comments

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CarnageHeart

1.4 saw the introduction of paid DLC in the form of the Grizzly (an exoskeleton) and the Pod launcher (a soldier hops into it, aims the pod mortar style and then fires themselves across the map). Both can only be deployed by people who buy the DLC, but anyone in the game (provided they are on the deployer's team or if they aren't have a perk which allows the use of enemy facilities) can use them. The grizzly has an EMP (which temporarily shuts down enemy bases and vehicles) and a somewhat weak gun (like the hawk it has a stomp that can kill infantry who are extremely close to it). As a ground guy I didn't have a problem taking them down (I killed more grizzlies than I was killed by them though I tended to use all my grenades doing it) but given that people are still learning it, its too early to say how effective the grizzly is. In their defense, they are fast enough they are impossible to take down with pod strikes if the guy in the grizzly is aware someone is trying to drop down on his head.

There are also a bunch of skins that are for sale. As is the case with the vehicles, they are free for PS Plus members.

Credit to Neogaf for the images.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42495862#post42495862

On day 1 people's favorite toy was the grizzly, but the pod cannon might be the more important addition (the ability to fire oneself into the middle of an enemy base is huge). I played a couple rounds of CTF (lost every round because while some of us were trying to win, too many people on my team were playing with the new toys when they should have been using those toys to either guard our flag or take the enemy's flag) and Zones (my team won both rounds, one round nailbitingly close, the other a blowout we won by domination, in both games both teams play the objectives).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bigboi500

I downloaded everything available. The grizzlies are fun, but take some getting used to. The pod cannons are super cool. I was able to drop in right behind the enemy flag and kill some poor unsuspecting guy. :D

So I guess Assault replaces zones. I tried but couldn't find a round of deathmatch or gatekeeper yet. Lots of fun stuff.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart

I downloaded everything available. The grizzlies are fun, but take some getting used to. The pod cannons are super cool. I was able to drop in right behind the enemy flag and kill some poor unsuspecting guy. :D

So I guess Assault replaces zones. I tried but couldn't find a round of deathmatch or gatekeeper yet. Lots of fun stuff.

Bigboi500

Zones is still out there. I played two matches yesterday.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

CarnageHeart

Oh ok, guess I missed it in the chaos of all this new stuff. Man that assault is even more hectic than zones, especially on defense.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

Oh ok, guess I missed it in the chaos of all this new stuff. Man that assault is even more hectic than zones, especially on defense.

More hectic than zones? I definently have to give it a shot.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CarnageHeart

The exosuits are pretty cool. The heavy rifle has good range and decent damage, the EMP blast is very useful and the ground pound (which wipes out nearby infantry) requires so much recovery time that misses (or even hits if someone else is in the area and focused on your destruction) are catastrophic. Its very slow though, speedwise its might be only a little faster than a tank and tanks are much, much more heavily armored.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart
Assault is an great mode. I prefer Zones but I can see why many seem to prefer Assault. Originally the way people payed the mode was just to throw up a bunch of fortification on the site they needed to protect, then clump together in and around those fortifications and try to fight off the enemy. Now teams on defense play the map more. Some guys cluster at the point that needs defending, but others scatter inbetween the defense point and the enemy base, harassing and killing enemy forces and even attacking the enemy base itself if the opportunity presents itself.