No Man's Sky and should you be hyped for it?

ReadyGameNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ReadyGameNews
Member since 2016 • 33 Posts

Personally I am quite hyped for the game but I can see some downsides from other peoples perspective and I wanted to know your opinion on it!

Here is some background:

No Man's Sky is a massive open world game with an infinite galaxy. It has its own solar systems and planets and even the planets are the size of a real planet. So the game is incredibly big, is that the only plus? You can be a pirate, a trader and many other in game when flying a spaceship around solar systems. There is also a feature of naming everything once you find it which I personally think is quite sweet.

In the game your main goal is to evolve and progress your armour, weapon and your spaceship. The game is multiplayer but it is next to impossible to find your friend across al these galaxies. Hello Games also says that 3/4 of the game will be left unexplored. That's what they think at least so what do you think?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

(Cracks open a beer)

"Hear we go again"........

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

Short answer: Yes I'm hype for No Man's Sky, already pre-order digital PS4 and that's all you'll need to know.

@vaidream45 said:

(Cracks open a beer)

"Hear we go again"........

Felt like I step into a Time Machine.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10438 Posts

it's like the gaming equivalent of england's national football team in a big football tournament like the world cup or the euros. years of hard learnt experience tells you they'll probably be embarrassingly bad but there's always that small outside chance that they'll live up to expectation and deliver.

for more tenuous analogies be sure to look out for my future posts, only on Gamespotâ„¢

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@readygamenews: I don't think people should be hyped for ANYTHING. Hype only inflates your expectations making it much less likely for the game to live up to them.

Only in a few very rare cases has a game lived up to and exceeded my expectations. In most games I am genuinely excited for I refuse to read or watch any videos based on the game.

Like Witcher 3, I was a big fan of the first two games and I was genuinely excited for it. After the first "killing monsters" trailer which still to this day gives me goose bumps I refused to watch anything relating to the game. So that when I fired up the game for the first time I had no idea what I was about to see.

I did this same thing with Fallout 4 though and not even going in blind could save that pile of shit.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

This game is so overhyped, and yet it looks incredibly boring and pointless.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

@Macutchi: Thank you for that analogy

I'd be amazed if the game lived up to people's expectations. I see it as a exploration game, which I have no interest in.

I think the planets will become repetitive at some point, there's too many for it not to.

The lack of apparent multiplayer support is disapppointing. My only interest would be flying around with friends. A party function doesn't appear to exist.

So overall I'd be surprised if it lived up to people's expectations, I see more death threats.

But I hope whoever buys it enjoys it, It's good to see a new developer making games and it'd be nice for it to do well

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Not hyped, too big with not enough meat.

ReadyGameNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ReadyGameNews

Hmmm I see that many prefer to go in blind and some even think its going to be bad. Thanks for all the reviews!

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I'm very excited and I'll buy it day one. I'm considering taking the day off work. I don't think any of it looks the least bit boring and the complaints people come up with I disagree strongly with. I don't want it to be true multiplayer, I like the idea the universe is so vast and you will never be able to see it all etc.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Idk, it doesn't look like a game for me. Ill probably be passing on it.

I just don't get it lol So it's an exploration based game where you go from planet to planet in an infinite galaxy in order to get new weapon, suit and ship upgrades. You can't find other people/team up so there's no social aspect drawing people in, and it doesn't have a true building/tera-forming system like Minecraft or even a game like Rust. There's no story or missions, just you, alone, in a massive galaxy....working towards upgrades. The combat is bare-bones and barely there, so its essentially a collection game in an endless galaxy (that is too big to fully explore so you cant even go for completion).

Like I said, it's probably just not my type of game, but I honestly don't understand the massive amount of hype.

ReadyGameNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ReadyGameNews

@Crypt_mx: I can see where you are going but Hello Games said that it is possible for people to find already explored planets and even find some people. Just wanted to make that a point but I totally agree with you and understand that, that is your preference. Personally I might give it a try but after others do.

ReadyGameNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ReadyGameNews

@mark1974: I see I am also excited for it but I think I will wait for others to try it because it may come boring if there ain't missions. I am not pre-ordering but I will get it after a week or so. I agree that the vast universe will be fun but it just never comes to an end and what do you get in end? I guess we just need to wait and see.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@readygamenews: I know they said you can find other people, it's just hard and not specifically designed for it. I think it would be cool if you could build like some sort of satellite or something that could beam signals out into space. That way you could like beam out a number, lets say 100 (just as a random number). You tell your friend your signal is 100, he then builds his own comm setup and searches for signal 100. It would then give you like a very rough idea of what planet cluster he's in, then you'd have to find him yourself from there.

ReadyGameNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReadyGameNews

@Crypt_mx: Ooooo that sounds like a great idea! Yeah I know they said it will be hard but lets wait and see. I will get the game after everyone tried it and see their opinions. Anyways I agree with some of your points.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@Crypt_mx: that's a cool idea. I think they will continue working on this game after it releases and add all sorts of things. Assuming it's well received anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I think this game could potentially be really cool, but I also think it could potentially be really boring. I'm waiting for the reviews before I get hyped for it.

ReadyGameNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReadyGameNews

@storm_of_swords: Same. I can see potential for both so I will wait like 2 weeks after release and get a disc copy.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts
@dexda said:

@readygamenews: I don't think people should be hyped for ANYTHING. Hype only inflates your expectations making it much less likely for the game to live up to them.

Only in a few very rare cases has a game lived up to and exceeded my expectations. In most games I am genuinely excited for I refuse to read or watch any videos based on the game.

Like Witcher 3, I was a big fan of the first two games and I was genuinely excited for it. After the first "killing monsters" trailer which still to this day gives me goose bumps I refused to watch anything relating to the game. So that when I fired up the game for the first time I had no idea what I was about to see.

I did this same thing with Fallout 4 though and not even going in blind could save that pile of shit.

Totally agree with you, especially with The Witcher 3. I think that game is the only one in recent memory that I was very hyped for and it 140% exceeded that hype. This game is massive, the quests are fantastic, the combat kinda sux with the input lag but I can forgive that, the emotion in the NPCs is very realistic, the soundtrack is outstanding, and there is just so much attention to detail all over the place. I cannot think of any other game right now that has lived up to the hype except for The Witcher 3.

Then the hype for Fallout 4...This was probably the most hyped I was for any game ever and it failed miserably. They nailed the gunplay and the movement having a sprint option finally, but the RPG elements are pretty much gone, the dialogue sux, and the quests are mindless "shoot this" objectives, making the newest Fallout a shooter with RPG in name only.

As for No Man's Sky, I haven't watched too many videos recently for this game, but back in 2014 and last year, the footage came off leaving this empty feeling about the game. Hopefully there are lots of dangers and enemies in it to make it challenging and more violent than what it appears on the surface because it looks VERY bland with a colorful shine to entice us to buy it. I hope to be pleasantly surprised once it comes out, but I'm not hyped for this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@readygamenews said:

No Man's Sky is a massive open world game with an infinite galaxy. It has its own solar systems and planets and even the planets are the size of a real planet. So the game is incredibly big, is that the only plus?

The "problem" is that it's all randomly generated. I have a little mixed feelings about that, because some of the planets and creatures i've seen in videos look downright ultra-stupid*. I prefer the way Star Citizen is doing it (sure, they are not exactly comparable), where everything is designed carefully and made by hand.

But considering the budget and studio size, this game is really impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

*) reminded me of this Spore crap:

EDIT: i found this. it describes my feelings on randomly generated stuff even better:

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@poe13: Well I can't really comment on Witcher 3 hype because I outright refused to buy into any of it.

The only hype I had was based on the "killing monsters" trailer and my love for the previous two games.

When I was watching The Lobby in the weeks before Witcher 3 came out I covered up the screen and scrubbed the video forward to skip Witcher 3 parts.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@dexda: Yeah so far CDProjektRed is the only developer that can truly deliver the experience they claimed. I still faintly remember them saying things like "its X times bigger than The Witcher 2" and something about it being a massive, grand adventure and whatnot. And it was. It truly was. It lived up to everything I wanted (minus the average combat) and exceeded what I thought was possible in video games with NPCs I actually cared about moreso than in any other RPG.

Bethesda failed with the hype for Skyrim. They failed with Fallout 4. Both games had much better predecessors with creative quests and interesting dialogue choices and outcomes. Rockstar failed with GTAV. Too short of a campaign and not much reason for violence beyond the story, imo. Konami failed with MGSV. The game was soooo good up until the part where you had to replay 10 or so missions on HARD in order to progress the story, which did not even end properly and there is footage on Youtube of the cut mission which would have wrapped things up better. Also, I remember Kojima saying that he was a fan of Breaking Bad in an article here and that the MGSV story would show Big Boss turning from good to bad. I remember truly hoping that it would be similar to how Anakin went from good to bad Darth Vader, but anyone here who has played MGSV knows that this kind of story did not happen AT ALL! I was also hyped for Arkham Knight, but I waited until this year to get the whole package (game and all the add-ons) for only $50 and I played the hell out of that game. I honestly loved that the Batmobile was used so much because I was used to all the Batman running and flying around in the previous games and this to me was a welcome addition, if somewhat ridiculous sometimes.

So I've been a bit of a fool to keep getting hyped for these AAA games. These big-budget developers flex their muscles with the technical aspects, like having prettier graphics or better combat, but the story flops. Or it is the other way around. Or there is not enough to do after the story mode is done and the online is complete shit (GTAV). That's where I think The Witcher 3 really delivered on all of the developers' promises. The combat could have used a little work sometimes with the input lag, but it isn't atrocious and you eventually get used to it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

From what I've seen of the game so far, I'd say the hype isn't worth it. It's an exercise in packing in as much procedural content as possible without any substance to it. As soon as they announced there was not going to be a story, I knew it was not going to be of interest to me. When it was first announced, I felt like it could be the 21st century Solar Winds... but now? Not so much.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#24 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It's still on my radar, but I'm gonna wait until I see a few gameplay videos on YouTube.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Want it to be good but not sold that it will be something with needed substance. Like I get the main point(s) of the game and stuff, but solid mechanics need to back it up. Not convinced the game mechanics will be where I would want them. Basically don't want the various things you do and can do to be shallow nothingness

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I personally don't give a crap about this game

Draco_Evolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Draco_Evolve
Member since 2016 • 87 Posts

Im not hyped. Its sheer size and scale makes me wonder how buggy it will be upon release

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10438 Posts

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I think the game will be fun to run around and oooooh and ahhhh at, but it could be as shallow as a puddle of water, judging by the trailers. Prepare yourself for that.