No chances of a The Darkness III?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Recently I beat The Darkness II and, despite the rediculously small lenght, I ended up loving it, even more then the 1st. My problem with the 1st one was the gameplay that was simply atrocious imho, while on The Darkness II that was pretty much fixed with a great, arcade type of shooting. Problem is, going by VGChartz (I kno, I kno, but its the only source I can quote) it only sold half a million. With such cliffhanger ending I would pain me to know 2K is ending the series. Do you guys think a The Darkness III is still possible?

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I loved The Darkness II. My only complaint being that the game was so short, but in that I found that it was expertly paced. It had such a well executed story and fun gameplay to boot. I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed that game, but I'll get to your question.

Yes, there will likely be a Darkness III. 2K and Digital Extremes never expressed disappointment with the sales, and while it looks like half a million isn't that much when compared to other FPS franchises, who's to say the budget for TDII wasn't smaller? IIRC, The Darkness II's announcment came as a shock to a lot of people to begin since the first game, while critically acclaimed and with decent sales numbers, wasn't exactly a monumental hit.

And, a couple weeks ago, Digital Extremes was spotted hiring people for a "super secret, hugely anticipated, and very prestigious AAA 1st person shooter" which is most likely The Darkness III.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

And, a couple weeks ago, Digital Extremes was spotted hiring people for a "super secret, hugely anticipated, and very prestigious AAA 1st person shooter" which is most likely The Darkness III.

IndianaPwns39

Good to know :)

Lets just hope thats true

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Yeah, let's. The Darkness III is loaded with potential. I hope that they're able to bring back some of the adventure aspects of the first game and increase the length, but if it has as solid of a story and fun gameplay like II, I'd be ok with it. (Still unlikely for me to spend $60 on it, if it'll likely be at the same length, but I did complete it three times so I'd spend $30 again)

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I think it's a possiblilty considering the cliff hanger the game ended on. That said however, who knows how long it would take for them to release a third one.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I should hope so. I had a great time with The Darkness II. I didn't really mind the length since it was so well paced. I'd prefer they just ignore multi-player next time around and focus on a great single-player campaign.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Let me say that i am a big fan of The Darkness series, but the second game was way inferior to the first one imo. It has been several years now since the first one came out and there are gamers out there (including myself) who still talk about it and praise it for its voice acting, soundtrack, story and vibe. I absolutely loved the first game...

I purchased The Darkness 2 and even though i was disappointed with its length, i was able to find good aspects - mostly in gameplay. I will definitelly buy a third game, but i think Digital Extremes should make it a more memorable experience, like the first game made by Starbreeze.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I'd definitely like another one, hell just coupling number 2's combat system with everything that made the first one such a masterpiece would make it a perfect enough sequel for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I really enjoyed the story, and the gameplay was solid, though it felt kinda uninspired. I still hope theres more from the franchise

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I hope we see a Darkness 3, maybe as a launch title for new XBOX? I bought Darkness 2 on day 1 and really enjoyed it. Awesome last level too.

To tell the truth, I was surprised (but happy) Darkness 2 was even made.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I've only played the first one but it would be nice if they released a third one.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

the original game certainly did not consist of atrocious gameplay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

DecadesOfGaming

In my humble opinion, it did. You may disagree, thats ok, but I definitely didnt liked the 1st gameplay. I completed it only because of the story and the overall noir feeling... I even started reading The Darkness and Witchblade comics because of the 1st game :)

But when it comes to gunplay... I prefer my fix somewhere else other then The Darkness. Now D2 had great gunplay, though a bit easy

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="DecadesOfGaming"]

Vatusus

In my humble opinion, it did. You may disagree, thats ok, but I definitely didnt liked the 1st gameplay. I completed it only because of the story and the overall noir feeling... I even started reading The Darkness and Witchblade comics because of the 1st game :)

But when it comes to gunplay... I prefer my fix somewhere else other then The Darkness. Now D2 had great gunplay, though a bit easy

[/QUO

Perhaps you could enlighten me concerning the reasons why you thought the original consisted of atrocious gameplay.. Just curious.

Notsovirgin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Notsovirgin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Its not they are making an ip just look at the news 180 guys working on a sequel of a game that was unsuccessful commercialy anyway if they do they should atleast advertise it well coz td2 had very underhyped.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I loved the Darkness 2 demo. I was going to buy it, until I found out that its only like 4-5 hours long. Not gonna waste money on that. The devs could have tried a little better.

IceQBkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 IceQBkid
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

Perhaps, but the replay value is really good. For eg. you have a New Game+. Which lets you play with your previously unlocked powers and lets you eventually have all of them by the end of the 2nd playthrough. I find this experience really awesome for the power-hungry part of me :D. You may find that on the 1st playthrough you will die a few times. But on the 2nd with the New Game+ you will feel much more powerful and you can play with your prey ^^.

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

Darkness II was my favorite game of 2012 aside from Far Cry 3. A third game will come out on next generations, mark my words. 500 K+ sales isn't bad considering how smaller the budget and hype was compared to COD or Halo. Plus, eventual digital distirbution on Xbox and PSN and Steam will boost it up slightly in sales.

jankyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jankyyo
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Definitely needs a third, I've been playing the Darkness since it came out and has always been one of my favorite games. I'm really anticipating a trilogy on this one.
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

Darkness II had probably the best story and character ever in a video game.

It also has the best depiction of romantic love.Â