Nintendo Warns of Weak Wii U Sales

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#201 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69990 Posts

[QUOTE="Pedro"][QUOTE="wiouds"]I still had problem with PC graphic and there is no way you can tell me that a game will work just at its best on every computer out there even if it meets the recommendation.wiouds

Games don't work its best; whatever you classify as best, on consoles so why would you expect every system that meets the recommendation to work at its best? The PC has more to it than gaming and these variables can affect your game and how well it plays. It not the fault of the hardware or the system variation but the application of the PC.

As a gaming system, the consoles have a better guarantee that it will look that good on your system. That is also is also a criterion that I add in when judging a game systems graphic.

The same amount of guarantee exist if you are using a mid range video card and a dual core processor. Its not remotely has convulted as you are making it out to be.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

The good ole "reviews give a game it's value" excuse. Never mind the cultural differences and what gets lost in translation. Judging a largly niche Japanese library of Wii games by what Western gaming critics think is equal to giving credibility to some unknown Japanese kotaku writing a review of Dragon Age in Japan. I've never said all Western games on consoles are terrible or don't deserve to exist, but compare games like Dragon Age and Fallout 3/New Vegas to their PC counterparts and they run like crap and look like crap comparatively. They're also full of bugs, don't have mods and are often "dumbed down" with missing content, lack of menus and features. The problem with consoles is the hardware isn't up-gradable and devs are forced to scale back for many years, and the results are apparent in the games. If those kinds of games were not forced to be co-developed or even fully developed on weaker consoles and then ported to PC, those games would be much better.

Japanese games don't usually depend on high-end hardware to be good, games like Disgaea and Fire Emblem, Mario and Ratchet, Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei. With the inter-mingling of Western-developed games that sell well in the West, even the Japanese developers would rather make a quick buck and develop a Homefront or a Medal of Honor game instead of making a proper Chrono Trigger sequel. The decline of Japanese games in the West is due to that rather than an alleged "Western innovation" from genres like WRPGs were you sift through dialog trees and uninteresting characters with boring personalities.

You might be content to play inferior versions of multiplats that run on low frames per second and sub HD, but for those kinds of games I want the true and immersive experiences that the developers had in mind for their games. You can also console yourself that Sony and Microsoft consoles do infact look better than Nintendo games, but they're still sub-standard and tremendously inferior to what PC gamers are playing. That cycle will continue in to next generation as well.

Bigboi500

The issue when comparing libraries isn't merely one of critical consensus but also to demonstrate the massive gulf of quantity that separates Nintendo consoles from others. Both HD systems enjoy, respectively, a much broader selection of genres and a much deeper amount of quality titles within those genres. The onus of any console is the consistent delivery of software and on that front the last three successive Nintendo consoles have failed to deliver anything but an arbitrary smattering of quality titles, many of them 1st party Nintendo games.

Personally, I still find much to love about Japanese games but since you decided to make this an issue of East vs. West then I am obliged to deliver a stark bit of reality, especially since you are claiming Western development is stagnant even while evidence would demonstrate the antithesis of that statement. Meanwhile, the Japanese have struggled to maintain relevance outside of their home turf, which is why companies like Capcom and even Nintendo have been forced to hire outside developers to make Western-type games.

The notion that Japanese games do not rely on or require a higher grade of technology isn't entirely true either. Plenty of Japaense developers have pushed the visual envelop and continue to do so. The truth is that many of these developers utilize lower specs because, frankly, the fan base will buy these games regardless of visual quality, which is why Nintendo doesn't much care to push the medium visually.

Why invest any additional resources when you can churn out a cheaper product for a premium price?

As to your bizarre traversal into PC vs. Console gaming territory, again, either purposely or due to your own pronounced misunderstanding, you over simplify the issue. Firstly, PC's are not dedicated gaming machines but are rather abstract, broadly functional devices that also play games. As such they occupy an entirely different category and they also require an entirely different modality for programming and utilizing such a construct for gaming. Consoles by contrast are dedicated gaming machines and while they are, traditionally, closed box, having a standardized and static set of specs allows developers to squeeze far more performance out of those systems than the raw technical specifications would suggest.

And for all your blathering about the inferiority of MS and Sony consoles, what you fail to grasp is that this is one of the most protracted generations we've experienced, which is why the gulf between PC and console gaming is currently so pronounced. When the new systems launch later this year, that gulf will be reduced dramatically, as it always has, and those consoles will enjoy relative parity with mid-level and high-end PC games until, as usual, the gulf gradually widens. None of that means, as you so ridiculously assert, that these games aren't being delivered as intended nor do you seem to fathom just how many console exclusives never make it to the PC. Currently, I can't play Red Dead Redemption on the PC, nor can I play most fighting games (a genre the Japanese still excel at beautifully) nor can I enjoy any of the God of War or Uncharted titles, etc.

Console gaming has always existed within a different set of parameters and, like it or not, that construct includes Nintendo. Your attempt to deride consoles based on the PC market doesn't even fit into this discussion, contextually speaking.

But truly, you are just a matrix of excuses, leaping from one issue to another while flatly refusing to rebut many of my points, most likely because you cannot. That isn't an insult but rather an observation, as you've made the mistake of foisting your own incredibly narrow tastes onto a broader context that makes it literally impossible to defend these ideas from anywhere but the most subjective of mindsets.

For me, this isn't just about my personal tastes or predilections; I have an academic passion for this medium that will not allow subjectivism to wholly dictate my analysis of gaming. As somebody who was weaned on Nintendo (and counts many of their older titles as among the best software ever made) I have come to accept some hard truths about a company that no longer understands a significant percentage of the core market; specifically, what they want and what they expect.

People like you attempt to frame the complaints levied against the Wii U as superficial issue of processing power and visual fidelity. Predictably, you employ arguments about PC gaming, yet you fail to grasp the real concerns, which are that Nintendo is unable or unwilling to meet even the most modest of expectations of what a console should deliver. Ironically, they at one time were the shinning beacon of many of these standards, and I would also assert that their handhelds have maintained that quality even as their consoles have slipped beneath the waves of mediocrity.

Seriously, how does one justify such antiquated hardware when even a modest increase in power would have been welcome? How to justify such a clunky online interface and functionality that seems, even now, to be entirely perfunctory? How to justify such a tiny hard drive? The piss-poor lineup and the subsequent drought?

All Nintendo had to do was take the resources they foolishly dumped into that tablet controller and instead invest that tech into the console, then pump out some HD entries from their stable of franchises and I would have forked over the cash day one. And that is the final and perhaps most poignant factor that you do not grasp: Nintendo doesn't need you because, regardless of what they do, you will buy their products. They already have you.

Nintendo needs me and gamers like me. I am a professional with a healthy amount of disposable income and I purchase copious amounts of software each and every year. With the soccer moms and casual consumers showing little interest in the console, Nintendo needs people like me and currently, I am as indifferent to their console as humanely possible.

Nintendo claimed they wanted the core gamer back, then made a system that is the antithesis of what many (perhaps even most) of those core gamers wanted.

I can fully understand your passion for video games because I, too, have it myself. I've been gaming since Atari 2600 and am not, currently, a PC gamer. I've thoroughly enjoyed the libraries of all three consoles this generation, and can't see why you absolutely love two of them, and downright hate the other. I hate having to make lists, but the Wii had great titles like Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob, No More Heroes, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fragile Dreams, Zack & Wiki, Monster Hunter Tri, Rune Factory, all non-Nintendo third party games that were fantastic imo, and while quantity-wise they don't come close offerings of the other systems, they are great games. That's reason enough to have the system and Wii U will be at least as good and probably much better, as far as libraries go, despite not having the power of other systems.

The reason I brought up PC gaming was because of the graphical superiority to console games. Just because PC's are so much better, it doesn't mean PS3 and 360 graphics can't be enjoyed. Same goes for Wii graphics, and in the future, Wii U graphics.

And what you say about a company needing their fan bases and new customers, that applies to them all. Sony and Microsoft cannot survive solely on their fanbases, and they have a lot of work ahead of them as well just like Nintendo. Having enjoyed most of this generations libraries on all consoles, I just can't understand the rampant fandom for Sony and Microsoft on this board. Don't get me wrong, I love what they have to offer even more than what Nintendo gave this generation, but I don't believe that those offerings are night and day better, either.

The issue isn't graphics, its gameplay/game design. PCs are exponentially stronger than consoles, but that the overwhelming majority of designers have no interest in exploiting that power in ways that impact gameplay/game design (aka meaningful ways) for fear of alienating console gamers. Of course, genres which console gamers largely ignore such as strategy games tend not to worry about console gamers, but shooters and wprgs are all made with an eye towards the console market nowadays.

Also, the notion that Sony and MS are hamstrung by the narrow tastes of their fanbases in the same way that Nintendo is just doesn't hold water. Throughout the history of their consoles Sony and MS have always had a lot of third party hits from a wide range of genres. By way of contrast non-Nintendo fans stopped buying Nintendo consoles in the N64 era and as a result Nintendo's console fanbase has gotten more and more insular. Goldeneye was a smash hit on the N64, but nowadays Nintendo's fans have decided that Mario/Zelda/Metroid is all they need. The influx of casuals the Wii saw didn't seem to change sales patterns of core games any (the sort of game that sold well on the GC sold well on the Wii).

In terms of software support, the difference between the Wii and the other consoles is night and day. Everyone, from tiny publishers/developers like Atlus to megapublishers like EA and Activision, chooses to focus on consoles other than the Wii. It doesn't matter how big or small your company is, if you believe an audience won't buy your games, there is no point in making the effort.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="svaubel"]I wonder how it is considered weak that Wii U sold over 3 million in it's first three months. Sure it didnt beat Wii's 3.6 million but it came fairly close. c_rake

It's because they're selling the Wii U at a loss whereas the Wii wasn't.

More likely its because the Wiis sold out as fast as they could hit shelves, whereas Wii Us have been widely available since launch.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

Nintendo can turn this around. They just need to get a wide spread of good games. The X-Box 360 and ps3 have a wide spread of games on them that are good. Also shooters is the genre has been the least stagnate this gen and the Wii did not have many on them. As many said you can have a weaker system as long as you can get the good games for it.

Bigboi500

Who is going to make third party games for wii u when all development is going to be for the new consoles. Nintendo will have to do this all on their own.

As long as they get Japanese third party devs all is good imo. Of course they'll still have EA, Activision and Ubisoft.

Given that the only Wii U games that have sold are Mario and Nintendoland, I wouldn't bet on EA and other big Western publishers sticking around. Madden is hitting every consumer electronic device known to man but the Wii, the Vita and the Wii U.

http://www.nintendojo.com/news/news-desk-ea-doesnt-consider-wii-u-next-gen

Speaking at a recent investors meeting, EA CEO John Riccitello discussed the companys plans for the future, including its outlook on the next wave of home consoles. While Riccitello had some nice, if empty, things to say about the Big N, he made it clear that EA does not view the Wii U as the start of the next generation:

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation, or the next generation after that. In many ways we would argue that the what were describing as gen 4 is yet to come. Its that that were excited about, and thats what were investing in. And frankly, weve been quite consistent with that for some time, while recognizing the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why causes for you.

This change of heart is certainly strange considering that Riccitello was once very enthusiastic about the console, particular its tablet-like controller, so to see the company effectively bury it so quickly is more than a little disconcerting. It remains to be seen just how thoroughly EA will support the system, but with the news that the next iteration of Madden will be skipping out on Nintendo platforms completely, the future isnt looking very bright.

Also, Japanese support for the Wii U isn't going to be anything to write home about. Japan is focused on portables so Japanese developers have little choice but to follow the market.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I wonder how it is considered weak that Wii U sold over 3 million in it's first three months. Sure it didnt beat Wii's 3.6 million but it came fairly close. 

Im guessing that none of the next gen systems are going to sell as fast as current systems did during their early months. Sure Nintendo is light on releases right now, but there is a lot on the horizon. All consoles tend to start off slow, some more than others. It took over a year for the PS3 to finally take off back when it was young.

Give it time folks, give it time.

svaubel

The difference is that the Wii sold out; the stock was entirely depleted, and for the first two years Nintendo couldn't make the systems fast enough.

By contrast Wii U consoles are and have been readily available because the inventory just isn't moving.

And time is something Nintendo doesn't have. They launched this system preemptively and yet already appear to be losing momentum.  

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#206 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="svaubel"]

I wonder how it is considered weak that Wii U sold over 3 million in it's first three months. Sure it didnt beat Wii's 3.6 million but it came fairly close.

Im guessing that none of the next gen systems are going to sell as fast as current systems did during their early months. Sure Nintendo is light on releases right now, but there is a lot on the horizon. All consoles tend to start off slow, some more than others. It took over a year for the PS3 to finally take off back when it was young.

Give it time folks, give it time.

Grammaton-Cleric

The difference is that the Wii sold out; the stock was entirely depleted, and for the first two years Nintendo couldn't make the systems fast enough.

By contrast Wii U consoles are and have been readily available because the inventory just isn't moving.

And time is something Nintendo doesn't have. They launched this system preemptively and yet already appear to be losing momentum.

The truth is, I think Nintendo needs to follow Sega's footsteps and forget the console business and focus solely on games and just stick to handhelds, for that matter.

It used to be so good up to the Nintendo 64 era, then when the Gamecube and Wii came out, there were some great games for it, but it just wasn't enough to sustain them and now look at the Wii U. Their momentum is definitely going downhill fast.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#207 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The Wii U certainly has had a very weak start. The weak marketing and naming of the system certainly screwed the system in that department. It's been out for only a few months though so I still think Nintendo can recover with the system, albeit it will be tough.

As far as I know, While some Nintendo consoles anjoyed much more success than other Nintendo consoles, Nintendo's consoles have never been a massive failure. I mean, didn't Nintendo still manage to gain a profit on the N64 and gamecube, despite those systems doing worse than its competitors? For this reason I think Nintendo may manage to get some good out of the Wii U sales-wise, even if the Wii U ends up getting beat by the PS4 and Xbox whatever-it-gets-named, but again it will require Nintendo to put some hard work into it. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 CarnageHeart

The Wii U certainly has had a very weak start. The weak marketing and naming of the system certainly screwed the system in that department. It's been out for only a few months though so I still think Nintendo can recover with the system, albeit it will be tough.

As far as I know, While some Nintendo consoles anjoyed much more success than other Nintendo consoles, Nintendo's consoles have never been a massive failure. I mean, didn't Nintendo still manage to gain a profit on the N64 and gamecube, despite those systems doing worse than its competitors? For this reason I think Nintendo may manage to get some good out of the Wii U sales-wise, even if the Wii U ends up getting beat by the PS4 and Xbox whatever-it-gets-named, but again it will require Nintendo to put some hard work into it.

DJ-Lafleur

Nintendo certainly made money in those eras, but its worth keeping in mind that they didn't just have slow-selling, poorly supported consoles, they had fast selling handhelds whose third party support rivaled that of any contemporary system so its an open question how much the consoles were contributing to their bottom line.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

Not surprising.

I was excited for the wii. Wii U barely elicits any response from me.

I wish that Nintendo would evolve their 3d controller. You've heard of Neil Gaiman's swordfighting simulation system, right? something like that. 

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Pedro"] Games don't work its best; whatever you classify as best, on consoles so why would you expect every system that meets the recommendation to work at its best? The PC has more to it than gaming and these variables can affect your game and how well it plays. It not the fault of the hardware or the system variation but the application of the PC.Pedro

As a gaming system, the consoles have a better guarantee that it will look that good on your system. That is also is also a criterion that I add in when judging a game systems graphic.

The same amount of guarantee exist if you are using a mid range video card and a dual core processor. Its not remotely has convulted as you are making it out to be.

No they can not. I had it happen to be a few times. I am not making it convulted. There is no way they can test on all hardware set up for the PC so there is not way they can guarantee anything. You are not allowing a flaw in the common ideal about the PC gaming.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#211 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol @ they deserve it if any one deserves somehing to bite them in the arse its sony ,   and wiiu is going to skyrocket once games come out ,  you just watch just like 3ds before it ,  

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#212 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

lol @ they deserve it if any one deserves somehing to bite them in the arse its sony ,   and wiiu is going to skyrocket once games come out ,  you just watch just like 3ds before it ,  

mariokart64fan
They better hurry their ass up and get it in gear, because they have two Godzillas sized competitors coming their way very soon. I would not want to be Nintendo right now, though in all my years of gaming have never been so curious as to what the future holds. E3 needs to get here NOW.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

mariokart64fan

The 3DS sales increased once it had a massive price cut. The system was overpriced, and WiiU feels the same when you can get more games with similar or better performance at a cheaper price like the Xbox360 and PS3. Sony is bringing new IP's unlike Nintendo so I don't understand this mentality that they should get "bitten in the ass". 

Things is I don't see many games coming out for the WiiU on a consistant basis, unless you play 4-5 games a year. 

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#215 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I don't have the money for it at all, but I'd much rather have that as a pack-in than Nintendoland. ZombieU is likely to be the first game I check out on the system.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#216 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

So, its like the current deluxe package, but now with the addition of Zombie U and a pro controller?

50$ additional dollars for both of those two things being added makes sense.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#217 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

And the Wii U is going up in price!

Includes ZombiU, pro controller, Nintendo Land, with the deluxe 32GB console, for $399

Estimated release date: 02/17/2013 

dvader654

Hey they stole Microsoft's model! It's not an increase, it's a VALUE ADDED PACKAGE. 

It's like, "Hey guys, you know, this thing just isn't selling at $350, what we need to do is throw ZombieU and a pro controller in and charge more!" 

Busted logic will yield busted results. 

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#218 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Not bad. Don't think I'd want to pay $400, though.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

Not bad. Don't think I'd want to pay $400, though.

c_rake
Not really that bad of a deal if you were gonna get Zombie U anyway....unless it's already dropped to $20. :P
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 rragnaar

Mario from Sidhe Studios, the guys who made Shatter, had some doom and gloom to report from the DICE Summit.  "No one is talking about new Wii U projects they started, only canceled."  It's annecdotal for sure, but hardly shocking.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#221 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Mario from Sidhe Studios, the guys who made Shatter, had some doom and gloom to report from the DICE Summit.  "No one is talking about new Wii U projects they started, only canceled."  It's annecdotal for sure, but hardly shocking.

rragnaar

Not really surprised.

Western third parties have always given Nintendo the shaft even when their consoles have been successful (wii and DS)

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#222 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

Shinobishyguy

Not really surprised.

Western third parties have always given Nintendo the shaft even when their consoles have been successful (wii and DS)

Except that the casuals arent flocking to the Wii U this time. 

Nintendo is pretty much screwed this gen. Am glad that they did. They had their chance to lead the industry for 6 years and put us through six of the worst E3 press conferences ever. Wii Music was a slap to the face, and Im glad Nintendo is finally paying for its mistakes. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

Mario from Sidhe Studios, the guys who made Shatter, had some doom and gloom to report from the DICE Summit. "No one is talking about new Wii U projects they started, only canceled." It's annecdotal for sure, but hardly shocking.

S0lidSnake

Not really surprised.

Nintendo is pretty much screwed this gen. Am glad that they did. They had their chance to lead the industry for 6 years and put us through six of the worst E3 press conferences ever. Wii Music was a slap to the face, and Im glad Nintendo is finally paying for its mistakes.

Like I've said for a while, its very clear Nintendo's focus is on the 3DS not the Wii U. While the Wii U drowns due to a lack of first and third party support, the 3DS is getting first party games like Fire Emblem (whose reviews are so strong I'm tempted to get it, though it would mean commandeering my daughters' 3DS) and Animal Crossing.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

S0lidSnake

Not really surprised.

to be fair their 2010 E3 was really good
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
The WiiU was dead in the water from the start. Nintendo should have waited and focused their efforts on a brand new console to give them more time to get the right marketing support, devs and technology there.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 S0lidSnake

to be fair their 2010 E3 was really goodShinobishyguy

Right, I take that back. 2010 was actually pretty good. 

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]to be fair their 2010 E3 was really goodS0lidSnake

Right, I take that back. 2010 was actually pretty good. 

both 2006 *despite the wii disappointing* and 2010 were ace. Actually come to think of it MS has been stinking up the joint the past few years at E3. F*ck Kinect
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#228 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

S0lidSnake

Not really surprised.

I agree.  I hope that they don't fail, I don't want any company (especially Nintendo) to fail.  But I'm glad this is happening to them because they need to seriously wake up.  And this is their last stand.  They don't get their affairs in order, and I see them in the software business only from here on out.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#229 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

It was just a terrible idea for a console and I am glad it is biting them in the ass. Maybe next time they will release a system with specs that aren't five years old and rely heavily on a gimmick controller.GodModeEnabled

I have to say that I agree. Their whole strategy of "we don't like to think we are competing with the other consoles" (even though they obviously are) and "we're about innovation, not power" ideology is why I am actually relishing in their current failure. After having the Wii and 3DS, it seems Nintendo is basically just going with gimmicks.

What they fail to realize are that the other systems are doing fine because good games require innovation of storytelling, gameplay, etc. not cheap tricks.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Shinobishyguy

Let's get something very clear:

Nintendo has shafted themselves when it comes to third parties.

Nintendo has consistently hobbled developers with piss poor tech while ignoring significant industry trends and they are also incapable of promoting third party software in the same vein as MS and Sony.

Nintendo has only Nintendo to blame for weak third party support on their consoles.

Period, end of discussion.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]It was just a terrible idea for a console and I am glad it is biting them in the ass. Maybe next time they will release a system with specs that aren't five years old and rely heavily on a gimmick controller.lild1425
I have to say that I agree. Their whole strategy of "we don't like to think we are competing with the other consoles" (even though they obviously are) and "we're about innovation, not power" ideology is why I am actually relishing in their current failure. After having the Wii and 3DS, it seems Nintendo is basically just going with gimmicks.What they fail to realize are that the other systems are doing fine because good games require innovation of storytelling, gameplay, etc. not cheap tricks.

the 3ds wasn't built on gimmicks. It's main gimmick (3d) is completely optional and for the most part it's just been about the games.
Hell I wish they'd adopt the same strategy with the Wii U

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]It was just a terrible idea for a console and I am glad it is biting them in the ass. Maybe next time they will release a system with specs that aren't five years old and rely heavily on a gimmick controller.Shinobishyguy

I have to say that I agree. Their whole strategy of "we don't like to think we are competing with the other consoles" (even though they obviously are) and "we're about innovation, not power" ideology is why I am actually relishing in their current failure. After having the Wii and 3DS, it seems Nintendo is basically just going with gimmicks.

What they fail to realize are that the other systems are doing fine because good games require innovation of storytelling, gameplay, etc. not cheap tricks.

the 3ds wasn't built on gimmicks. It's main gimmick (3d) is completely optional and for the most part it's just been about the games

3DS is turning into a good console. In Japan it's even better. Nintendo needs to localize more games. I bet the Japan library is twice as big.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

Heirren

the 3ds wasn't built on gimmicks. It's main gimmick (3d) is completely optional and for the most part it's just been about the games

3DS is turning into a good console. In Japan it's even better. Nintendo needs to localize more games. I bet the Japan library is twice as big.

yeah seriously. Just now we're getting fire emblem even though it came out in Japan back in 2011
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]the 3ds wasn't built on gimmicks. It's main gimmick (3d) is completely optional and for the most part it's just been about the gamesShinobishyguy

yeah seriously. Just now we're getting fire emblem even though it came out in Japan back in 2011

I know people don't want to hear it, but I also wouldn't mind seeing a real redesign of the console. I just bought a Gameboy micro and it really is the most well designed portable Nintendo has ever made. I'm not say make the 3ds that size, but something a little more sturdy--where if I wanted to put it in a bag or pocket without a case I would not worry about it. The original didn't have to be as big as it was, I don't think. The Xl is just garbage, build quality wise.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#235 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

3 Million Wii U consoles sold. That is not bad in about about 3 months Nov 18th 2012 - Feb 18th 2013. Compared the Psvita's 3.74 million Dec 17 2011-Dec 31 2013.

The PSvita may reach 4 million by its 1st brithday in North America Feb 26th 2013. The Wii U worldwide sales is about 1 million less than PSvita in only 3 months. Compared to close to 4 million for the PSvita in 14 months. The Vita is over a year old in Japan. But not rest of world by 16 days.

So the Wii U's install base of 3 million is not that bad. Considering you can buy a Wii U for $299.99 and a PSvita for $249.99

The worldwide economy is not that great as of Feb 2013. So many people are not going to drop $300.00 for a Wii U basic set or a PSvita $299.99 Wifi-3G model.

Many folks are just holding off for Playstation 4 or Xbox 720. Which are supposed to cost in the $400.00 range.

So Nintendo's weak Wii U sales have to be placed in light of the horrid Worldwide economy. In 3 months they almost caught up to the Psvita. 3 Million to 3.74 million in 25% of the time. The cost of both Wii U and PSvita are reasonable.

So Nintendo is not doing that badly with the Wii U. In a bad economy which is causing many people to hold off buying a new console until Fall 2013. When both PS4 and Xbox 720 hit. Those consoles are gonna face the same fate as Wii U and PSvita a bad ecomomy which will result in Slow sales of both Xbox 720 and PS4. The big N has proven it can survive tough times. The Wii U is not do as badly as it seems.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

DJ-Lafleur
32/21 million N64's/GC's is still pretty depressing no matter how you slice it though. There's more to a console's level of success than just profits y'know.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 CarnageHeart

EA has announced that they won't bother putting the latest edition of golf on the Wii U.

http://kotaku.com/5983179/three-months-after-it-launched-the-wii-u-is-irrelevant-to-sports-gaming

From 2009 to 2011, the Wii version of Tiger Woods PGA Tour was the better reviewed and, by all rights, dominant platform in this series, for a couple of reasons. The Wii Remote was a natural and enjoyable method of control for a golf video game. And as the Tiger Woods user base diverges more from traditional gamer demographics than any sports title, it was a closer fit to the Wii's installation base.

Developers at EA Tiburon understand that golf has a broadly social appealit's why they created a "Quick Tournaments" mode in this year's game. "Golf lends itself still to being a party game," producer Sean Wilson told me last week. And it'll have no presence on the Wii U, a platform built on unique social features like the Miiverse, and the successor to the definitive party console.

Yet once Nintendo finally has a console that can deliver Augusta National in high definition, EA Sports bows and exits.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#238 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Once Sony and Microsoft release their new consoles, this thing is going to be officially dead. Can't wait. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#239 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69990 Posts

Once Sony and Microsoft release their new consoles, this thing is going to be officially dead. Can't wait. :)

UpInFlames

So many people want the Wii U to fail. I am baffled.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 rragnaar

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Pedro

I don't want it to fail out of malice, or to see Nintendo be forced out of the market. I honestly think that the system was a very bad business decision for Nintendo, and I don't want to see them succeed in spite of embracing a direction that I don't think will work in the long run.
BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts
If PS4 and Xbox 720 blocks used games I bet the Wii U won`t have weak sales for long.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#242 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Pedro

Nintendo is an arrogant and backward company whose last great console was the SNES. Since then they've made POS consoles with crap support. They sort of got lucky with the Wii (and almost took console gaming in a horrible direction), but it's high time they fail hard and make some serious changes that aren't based on useless gimmicks or preferrably just go third party, or at least just go away and focus on handhelds. This needs to happen for everyone's sake, including their own.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#243 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Nintendo Saturn

JML897

Dude,that's so wrong!

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#244 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Not suprised, I certainly won't be picking it up.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 CarnageHeart

Interesting article on Gamasutra talking about how Nintendo systems have been less and less important to Activision, EA, Take Two and Ubisoft. Bear in mind the chart below conflates handheld and console income. The writer also touches upon Nintendo's failure to build relationships with third parties.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186368/Nintendos_hard_path_to_thirdparty_support_in_2013.php

Back in 2010, Nintendo accounted for around 20 percent of the revenue for these publishers. That fell to 17 percent in 2011 and then only 12 percent in 2012. This isn't just a case of Nintendo maintaining the same level of revenue as the pie got bigger, however. In each year, the amount of revenue that Nintendo's platforms are contributing is also getting smaller.

By contrast, every other segment is seeing growth: the Xbox 360 revenue is up 18 percent since 2010 while revenue on Sony's PlayStation platforms has gone up 16 percent. That other segment, which contains PC video game revenue, revenue on mobile platforms, and (in the case of Activision Blizzard) all those Skylanders toys, has more than doubled in value, up over 140 percent in just two years.

publisher-revenue-by-platform-2009-2012-

The Wii U doesn't have as many natural advantages, and Nintendo needs to beat the drum for the third party titles every chance it gets, and build strong relationships to last them through a full console cycle. Really, they should have started that years ago. But here we are, and if those third parties are looking at the same revenue figures we can see -- what must they be thinking?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 S0lidSnake

Well the Wii was dead by 2011. There were no more original titles being made for the Wii by those companies like there was earlier in its life cycle. By this point most people had one of the HD systems so why would anyone get the wii port. dvader654

2013 isnt looking better.

• Where's the Far Cry 3 port?
  • Where's the DMC port?
  • Where's the MGS Rising port?
  • the Bioshock port?
  • the Crysis 3 port?
  • The Tomb Raider port?
  • Dead Space 3 port?
  • Army of Two port?
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Well the Wii was dead by 2011. There were no more original titles being made for the Wii by those companies like there was earlier in its life cycle. By this point most people had one of the HD systems so why would anyone get the wii port. dvader654

2013 isnt looking better.

• Where's the Far Cry 3 port?
  • Where's the DMC port?
  • Where's the MGS Rising port?
  • the Bioshock port?
  • the Crysis 3 port?
  • The Tomb Raider port?
  • Dead Space 3 port?
  • Army of Two port?

The Wii U is a whole different animal. The Wii was doing well for most everyone when it was on fire, but it died quicker than the other systems, of course the revenues were going to droop. I am just saying that report is kind of a DUH article. I wish I had a job like that.

The article makes the case that a first party should roll out new hardware before the old hardware is dead, something which hasn't been obvious to Nintendo and in the past Sega. Otherwise consumers.and third parties drift to other consoles and some of them don't come back. There are casuals who won't give the Wii U the time of day because they've spent the past few years playing with the Kinect and/or smartphones and are perfectly happy with them.