New to Dead or Alive 5 and unsure.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

So ive been playing a bit of DOA5 as Rig and Kasumi.

But i cant help but notice that all i had to do was spam punch and kick buttons, whilst guarding occasionally.
Even if I didnt know what I was doing, I was winning and it looked like I was playing it right for some reason.

Yea, I know there's more depth to this game but how is countering and all of the other mechanics going to work against someone who straight up spams and mashes the attack buttons and doesnt stop?

I have done the training mode and it felt sort of barebones, as it didnt really help me learn the character's moves that well.

Anything I'm doing wrong or is it just the game?

B/c I don't know.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

You can mash buttons and win against the computer all you want, but that same tactic WILL NOT be effective againt a player that knows the game very well.

There's more to it than just attacking and then just guarding at the right times. You need to know what each attack looks like, how to guard/counter it accordingly, and make the pain even more devastating. You also need to take advantage of the Critical Burst and the other new ideas they implemented in Dead Or Alive 5 as well.

Ranking matches against S+ opponents are NO JOKE. You need to know more about the basics if you are to win. So it's not the game, it's you, with all due respect of course.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

You can mash buttons and win against the computer all you want, but that same tactic WILL NOT be effective againt a player that knows the game very well.

There's more to it than just attacking and then just guarding at the right times. You need to know what each attack looks like, how to guard/counter it accordingly, and make the pain even more devastating. You also need to take advantage of the Critical Burst and the other new ideas they implemented in Dead Or Alive 5 as well.

Ranking matches against S+ opponents are NO JOKE. You need to know more about the basics if you are to win. So it's not the game, it's you, with all due respect of course.

Metamania
Ah I see. I guess it will just take me some more time to get into the game. First World Gamer Problems = Too many other games to play. haha
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Kocelot

Ah I see. I guess it will just take me some more time to get into the game. First World Gamer Problems = Too many other games to play. haha

Well, this applies to any fighting game you play. If you wish to really get good at it, you have to constantly play it all the time. You have to stay focused, dedicated, and not be afraid to lose to better players.

You want to win, of course, but when you start out, you learn by losing and learning. Only then will you be able to succeed and play better and better. That's how it works for fighting games in general or anything you do in any game, really. You fail once, you just get back on the bike and ride it again.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

This is the problem I have with DOA4 :P. I personally couldn't get in to it that much because of that reason. Does DOA5 feel similar to DOA4?

I can pick pretty much any game up usually, but with DOA4 I just sat there pressing pretty much anything and just hoping that I would win! :P