New gamespot Review - Total let down

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

So_Young

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 So_Young
Member since 2003 • 703 Posts

Have you seen the first review of that "new form"? there are no quick info on the start like graphics, value, gameplay and sound. The review is the same as before, except thay removed the basic quick info that I think is very useful.

For me its a total letdown and I'm very desapointed of Gamespot moves right now. The old review form is one of the best reviews on the net, but now, with the lack of quick info and the unprecision of the final score (0.5) I find the new review of gamespot like every other site and I can say, now its one of the baddest form of review out there now

Whats your opinion about this?

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

I think part of it is that the first review we ran was FF Anniversary, which is a game that warranted only a short review and no medals. Some games of the more middling variety will be that way, because some games just don't excel or entirely fail at anything. They just sort of are.

Today we'll be publishing some reviews with medals and demerits.

mattyftm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattyftm
Member since 2005 • 7306 Posts
I like the idea of it in principle, whether or not it works in practice is another matter. We'll have to wait for a few more games before we can see that fully. I allways thought that .1 increasments were too specific, and that the scores on gameplay, graphics etc. weren't usefull, but it did need to be replaced by something. we'll just have to wait and see if the new system works or not,
igor011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 igor011
Member since 2004 • 69 Posts
its pathetic, i hate it when sites or magazines break what wasnt broken. It happened with EGM about 4 years ago, and now the best online game site, Gamespot. People you dont have to reinvent anything. IT WORKS. I also remember when gamespot first introduced gamespot complete, and said that reviews would only be available for a week for basic members then be locked up. Look what happened to that idea, it was idiotic thats why it failed. Im just curious how long this pathetic charade will last. .5 increments is horrible, now even garbage like ign seems better. i guess all good things have to end.
nfl123kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 nfl123kid
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts

i know what the @$$@i loved that where they did all the specific stuff now iit jjust sucks

Dissipate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Dissipate
Member since 2002 • 8987 Posts
Like Alex said, I think part of the problem was that the first review was a FF remake. I still believe that the quick info will be there and work rather well. What you call precision some would argue arbitary. While I liked the systematic/mathematical score but it had flaws and limitations. While some may dislike the new layout I would assume most people visit GS for their full length reviews and opinions and those have not changed.
Dissipate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Dissipate
Member since 2002 • 8987 Posts

[QUOTE="igor011"]its pathetic, i hate it when sites or magazines break what wasnt broken. QUOTE]

Maybe not broken but it was flawed.

_Merc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Merc_
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts

[QUOTE="igor011"]its pathetic, i hate it when sites or magazines break what wasnt broken. QUOTE]

Maybe not broken but it was flawed.

Dissipate

Yeah...barely. Too bad it's even more flawed now.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
I can care less about this new review system also. I like the old way better and change was not that neccesary. I like the .1 scale better then the .5 scale.
VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts
Well by my ow personal scoring methods I use a half-point scale anyway so the new scoring is right up my alley. I'm really not gonna see much of any special concern of game being an 8.2 instead of an 8.0, and 8.3 instead of an 8.5 or an 8.8 instead of a 9.0. Really, what real difference does it make.
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Give it a chance, stop whining about something you're not that familiar with yet.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts
I think part of it is that the first review we ran was FF Anniversary, which is a game that warranted only a short review and no medals. Some games of the more middling variety will be that way, because some games just don't excel or entirely fail at anything. They just sort of are.

Today we'll be publishing some reviews with medals and demerits.AlexN

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Besides, The Good and The Bad sections still offer some quick info. I'll wait for a few more reviews to judge the new system. By the way, can you give us the scoop on user reviews - will we be able to use the medals system as well? So far, everything seems to be the same, 0.1 scale and all. I also accidentally rated that stupid Final Fantasy game and there doesn't seem to be a reset option.

EDIT: We have another review - an expansion pack to Sword of the Stars. It's the first medal!

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Besides, The Good and The Bad sections still offer some quick info. I'll wait for a few more reviews to judge the new system. By the way, can you give us the scoop on user reviews - will we be able to use the medals system as well? So far, everything seems to be the same, 0.1 scale and all. I also accidentally rated that stupid Final Fantasy game and there doesn't seem to be a reset option.

EDIT: We have another review - an expansion pack to Sword of the Stars. It's the first medal!

UpInFlames

And another! With even more medals and demerits!

The reader review system from here on out will use the new scoring system (once it's been updated). Medals won't be available for reader reviews. Also, that rating reset issue will be fixed sometime soon. It's been bugged.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts
Eh, I'm going to give the new review system a shot, but if I'm not digging it after a week or so, I'll be heading to IGN for my game reviews.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

And another! With even more medals and demerits!

The reader review system from here on out will use the new scoring system (once it's been updated). Medals won't be available for reader reviews. Also, that rating reset issue will be fixed sometime soon. It's been bugged.

AlexN

Hey, I like that "Recycle" demerit. I have a feeling that one's gonna see a lot of use. I hope you guys reconsider about the reader reviews not being able to use the medals system, I'd love to use those. Thanks for the feedback.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Gamespot's reviews have always been bad in my opinion, so I don't much care that they changed the format.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

One thing I'm missing is the individual numbered scales. It doesn't bother me that they aren't calculated into the final score, but it would still be nice to quickly look and see what individual components of the game are good and bad and to what extent. I realise that's what the good/bad and emblem part is for, but numbers and scales give a more comparable and precise way to look at it.. I think seeing an 8 in value score is more useful to me than an emblem that says "this game is long!".

On the other hand I like the new .5 rating scale. It encourages the readers to actual read the review more, which is what everyone should be doing instead of just looking at the number. People make way too much of the numbered scores. The difference between an 8.6 and an 8.7 game is very negligible, and thus we don't see too much bickering over those kinds of scores.. yet apparently the difference between an 8.9 and an 9.0 (same 0.1 difference) is huge. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. So I'm glad the new rating system has pretty much eliminated all those shenanigans.

Avatar image for thetombradyhate
thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 thetombradyhate
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
its pathetic, i hate it when sites or magazines break what wasnt broken.igor011

I agreee. The old system was fine and they've just made it worse
akruan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 akruan
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts
The only thing I don't like is the damn circuit city ad blocking the pop ups for the medals. -_-
SmoothMoved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SmoothMoved
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts
Like Alex said, I think part of the problem was that the first review was a FF remake. I still believe that the quick info will be there and work rather well. What you call precision some would argue arbitary. While I liked the systematic/mathematical score but it had flaws and limitations. While some may dislike the new layout I would assume most people visit GS for their full length reviews and opinions and those have not changed.Dissipate
If anything this has more flaws than the old review system .
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Liked the old system better guys. I know im just another user out of thousands, but let me say I was using this site years before I joined the forums and for 4-5 years now I have based my buying habits solely on your sites reviews, the written reviews are still the best around, detailed and thorough but their is a HUGE difference between an 8.8 and a 9.0 this just stinks. I have always taken pride in being a day to day regular of the sites many features, and my favorite part of this place has always been the tough stance on reviews. Whereas other sites seem to pick an a number from random, and mess together some sort of half intelligeble mess of a review, your scores have always been 99.9% accurate for me, to me your rating was the quality of the game pure and simple, and I knew if something scored a 9.0+ here that it was an amazing experience of a game. Now im afraid we will see a lot more 9, 9.5s and 10's handed out like the other sites. !@#$ the other sites, this is Gamespot. I am only one negative opinion of many, but please do not sell out like this. Becoming more accesible and dumbing yourselfs down for joe blow madden casual does nothing but piss off your core fanbase. In an age of selling out you guys always stood true with your hardass reviews and I love them, but if things change like this all we will really have left for accurate reviews is Gamerankings. Still love the site and the community, thats why im posting my 2 cents.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

If anything this has more flaws than the old review system .
SmoothMoved
How? What is so flawed about this system, other than the main score not being as 'precise' as it used to be? The old system of scoring was inherently flawed, and has been for a while, as the basis for forming a score was based on a mathamatical series of subscores with preset weights that didn't make sense across all genres/games. At least in this manner, the reviewer can build his/her assessment of the game's overall quality directly, without a system of scales working against the scoring process. Yes, it might've been nice to have a .1 scale, but overall, I find people are just giving up on the reviews in general simply because the general score is a little more straightforward than before.

Furthermore, the whole concept of having subscores in different aspects of a game's design is sort of convoluted in and of itself, whereas the medal system is able to allow the reviewer to specifically pick out ANY aspect of a game's design to bring notice regarding the design choices, both good and bad, in a way that is more direct, flexible, and logical to express than the sub scores were able to.

And lastly, NONE of these changes really affect the written portion of the review, which has been the most important aspect of a review in the first place, and what I find odd is how some people think that changing to a .5 scale is going to somehow cause the written reviews to change to a point where there is no credibility in the reviews themselves...which doesn't make any sense to reach as a conclusion to me.

Avatar image for SuperSonicKirby
SuperSonicKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 SuperSonicKirby
Member since 2004 • 2213 Posts
After seeing the first two reviews with actual medals and demerits, I kind of consider that system more advantageous than the whole five component breakdown. Still, the whole .5 increment thing is a shame.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skylock00

Now im afraid we will see a lot more 9, 9.5s and 10's handed out like the other sites. !@#$ the other sites, this is Gamespot. GodModeEnabled
Well, if the standards by which they evaluate games is still the same, then there shouldn't be any worry regarding this, IMHO...and really, if the written reviews aren't changing, then the means that the guys are using to determine scores really isn't going to change, either.

That's just my feelings on the matter, though.

Avatar image for cookoo4cocopuff
cookoo4cocopuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cookoo4cocopuff
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts
I don't mind everything else that Gamespot changed but I don't like how they got rid of the stats like gameplay, graphics, til, etc.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Now im afraid we will see a lot more 9, 9.5s and 10's handed out like the other sites. !@#$ the other sites, this is Gamespot. Skylock00

Well, if the standards by which they evaluate games is still the same, then there shouldn't be any worry regarding this, IMHO...and really, if the written reviews aren't changing, then the means that the guys are using to determine scores really isn't going to change, either.

That's just my feelings on the matter, though.

Skylock my nemesis, we are destined to never agree on anything :P I see it as a game like RE4 which got a 9.6 will now get a 10, same with Gears Of War and stuff like Prince Of Persia: Warrior within would be a 9 instead of an 8.8 there is a huge difference. Warrior Within is not an 9.0 game it is a higher teir AA release falling just short. All of this seems to be catering to the masses to make things more simple for their pathetic little brains. This effectivley puts the site along the same lines as IGN and *barf* 1up for the review systems as games will be rated higher than they should be because of it.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skylock00

Skylock my nemesis, we are destined to never agree on anything :P

I see it as a game like RE4 which got a 9.6 will now get a 10, same with Gears Of War and stuff like Prince Of Persia: Warrior within would be a 9 instead of an 8.8 there is a huge difference. Warrior Within is not an 9.0 game it is a higher teir AA release falling just short. All of this seems to be catering to the masses to make things more simple for their pathetic little brains.

This effectivley puts the site along the same lines as IGN and *barf* 1up for the review systems as games will be rated higher than they should be because of it.GodModeEnabled

Um, RE4 could also be rated a 9.5...and GoW and PoP could be rated an 8.5. There's absolutely nothing indicated that they're going to simply round scores up just because it would've been close to that next tier.

Again, there's nothing indicating such a practice will occur, and really, the main important part of a review is the written portion, not the score, and the thing is, the written review is the basis for the score, not the other way around, from what I see.

Honestly, thinking that the quality of the reviews is going to drop because the numbering system is changed to a degree feels sort of shallow to think of, especially since the information expressed though the medals is much more useful, IMHO, than the subscore system was, both from the standpoint of a reader, and from the standpoint of the people doing the reviews.

ryanstoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 ryanstoy91
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
This new rating system could possibly make perfect 10s more common than they need to be.
THE_DZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 THE_DZA
Member since 2002 • 5807 Posts
The medals are horrible. If the idea was to give you a faster idea of what to expect, this is a horrible failure. WIth medals like "Oh Snap" the meaning isnt exactly self explanatory, so you have to spend time parsing through the snarky comments instead of getting a fast read on the game. Also given the seemingly wide scope and arbitrary nature of the types of medals, its almost like we can now expect generic review in box comments used to rate the games. Whats wrong with just providing those comments on an excepted spectrum of game elements? Frankly given the types of medals, I am surprised you didnt have a "Yet Another Final Fantasy" medal or something. The dominate personalites on Gamespot these days come accross as a bunch of egomaniacs that worship at the alter of snide and sarcasm. Now we have a reveiw system where the reader must sort through the one liners to get the information. Bad editorial move. I miss the days of Gregg Kasavin and Joe Fielder.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skylock00
I miss the days of Gregg Kasavin and Joe Fielder.THE_DZA
Greg was one of the people who was behind the concept for this newer approach to reviews, according to guys like Alex, and would've been in support of it being implemented.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Skylock my nemesis, we are destined to never agree on anything :P

I see it as a game like RE4 which got a 9.6 will now get a 10, same with Gears Of War and stuff like Prince Of Persia: Warrior within would be a 9 instead of an 8.8 there is a huge difference. Warrior Within is not an 9.0 game it is a higher teir AA release falling just short. All of this seems to be catering to the masses to make things more simple for their pathetic little brains.

This effectivley puts the site along the same lines as IGN and *barf* 1up for the review systems as games will be rated higher than they should be because of it.Skylock00

Um, RE4 could also be rated a 9.5...and GoW and PoP could be rated an 8.5. There's absolutely nothing indicated that they're going to simply round scores up just because it would've been close to that next tier.

Again, there's nothing indicating such a practice will occur, and really, the main important part of a review is the written portion, not the score, and the thing is, the written review is the basis for the score, not the other way around, from what I see.

Honestly, thinking that the quality of the reviews is going to drop because the numbering system is changed to a degree feels sort of shallow to think of, especially since the information expressed though the medals is much more useful, IMHO, than the subscore system was, both from the standpoint of a reader, and from the standpoint of the people doing the reviews.

I agree.

And to add to your comments about the medals, no one has to wonder any longer exactly what graphical aspect, for example, would get a game a lower graphics subscore. I mean, it could be framerate, jaggies, blinding bloom light, etc. The medals system tells us in more specific terms (though I don't know how GS's repertoire of medals looks) what is right or wrong with a game. And the review itself will elaborate on that. Yes, this elaboration occurred before, but now we can know what we're looking for. Some might even make a justifiable buying decision more easily because of it.

crestfallen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crestfallen12
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts
In a sea of responses I may as well add mine for the record. I think this new system is going to introduce a lot more consistency in reviews.

What Jeff and Alex may think deserves an 7.8 or a 9.2 could be two very different things, but when dealing with less possible scores, they'll be able to agree as to what kind of game deserves to be in what 'pile' of scores if you will.

Also it won't take me long to adapt and relate to what kind of game Gamespot classifies as a 7.5 etc so I will be able to look at the score and immediately get a accurate indication to the game's quality. Before I didn't know how to differentiate between 8.4 and 8.7.

Also, I'm expecting fanboys to rely less on review scores for their bull. Thank the lords there will be no "OMG Killzone2 got only 9.4 but HAl03 got 9.5!!!1!1!one1!1!"

THE_DZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 THE_DZA
Member since 2002 • 5807 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_DZA"]I miss the days of Gregg Kasavin and Joe Fielder.Skylock00
Greg was one of the people who was behind the concept for this newer approach to reviews, according to guys like Alex, and would've been in support of it being implemented.

Well I miss his personality. Maybe he would have vetoed some of the smart ass stuff.
AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AaronThomas
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

"Um, RE4 could also be rated a 9.5...and GoW and PoP could be rated an 8.5. There's absolutely nothing indicated that they're going to simply round scores up just because it would've been close to that next tier."

This is correct. We aren't rounding scores up just because they're close to the next tier.

beedup91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 beedup91
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

I find it poor form by Gamespot to still go ahead with this new system even though pretty much the majority of people don't want this system implemented, but anyway...

I wouldn't say that the new system is flawed but it doesn't work nearly as good as the old system. With the old system you can easily look at and understand the review. If you just want a quick review all you had to do was look at "graphics, gameplay, the good, the bad, etc.". If you wanted a thorough review, then you can read the entire review. It would've been so much better if you guys kept the old system and just added medals. And not medals that say "Oh snap" or "Slideshow" or something sarcastic, not funny, and not self-explanitory. Rather have medals that are self-explanitory so we the readers don't have to sit there and read the description of the medal so we know what the hell you guys are talking about, we'd rather see what's good about it, what's bad about it, and go on.

I've been getting my reviews from Gamespot for a very long time and I can say that the old system was nearly perfect but now it's not so good...

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GodModeEnabled

"Um, RE4 could also be rated a 9.5...and GoW and PoP could be rated an 8.5. There's absolutely nothing indicated that they're going to simply round scores up just because it would've been close to that next tier."

This is correct. We aren't rounding scores up just because they're close to the next tier.

AaronThomas
Time will tell, I would still stake money that we will be seeing higher scores overall.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I don't personally care for the change. It seems needless and the loss of individual numerical categories is unfortunate.

IGN is officially a better format for reviews now, at least in my opinion.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

AaronThomas

Rounding scores down isn't going to win you many fans either.

You had a decent system in place; you should have left well enough alone.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

I like the fact that it's not based entirely on a mathematical formula now (as far as my understanding). It was always off-putting to me that the games were scored in various categories and then these were added and multiplied and divided, etc etc into the final score.

I think the final score should represent an opinion of the product as a whole; nothing more, nothing less. The details (call them badges, merits, good or bad) are there to explain why the reviewer thinks that way. In the end, it has always been nothing but an opinion. Previously the score was manipulated by tilt to get it where the reviewer wanted it, now it is just what they think.

As far as the 0.5 scale. Considering this is all so subjective, is there really a difference between the game with an 8.2 and an 8.4? Probably not enough of one to be tangible to us and thus why should we expect someone ele's opinion (or a formula) to be so precise?

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FordFairlane
Member since 2002 • 454 Posts

I've only seen a few reviews so far, so I'll have to give it time to grow on me, but they do seem to have a more natural feel to them. The tenth of a point scoring and formula for the final score gave the impression that there was more rocket-science than review going on. When a friend asks me what I think of a game, I don't say "Graphics: 8, Sound: 9, Tilt: 10". I say "The Single Player is short, but the Multiplayer rocks."

I also have a feeling that six months from now, we won't have to mouse-over the badges to figure out what they mean. We do love video games; we spend most of our time identifying icons on user interfaces. As the review library expands, I look forward to being able to filter by badge. If you like games with great multiplayer, the ability to pull up all of the games that received that badge and maybe find a new game to add to your wish list will be pretty handy.

AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AaronThomas
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

"Rounding scores down isn't going to win you many fans either. You had a decent system in place; you should have left well enough alone."

We're not rounding anything. We simply choose an appropriate score to go along with the review text. While there may be less scores to choose from, we now have greater flexibility when it comes to picking the score we think a game deserves. This is important with games where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts--like music games, classic games and compilations, and many puzzle games.

I'm not just spouting the company line here--I really like the new system and I think once people get used to it, they will too.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

The badges are ok- though I think they should stop with the sarcasm and just cut to the chase as to what the medal means when you hover over it. I mean, I like sarcasm, but its out of place in a serious review.

But the new scoring system is atrocious nor do the reasons behind it hold water. I remember the example of a rythm game. Some will say that it could never have GeoW-type graphics...I say, why can't it? Just because its a rythm game? That doesn't excuse poor graphics. I mean, they could just as easily put DDRs gameplay over GeoW itself (the better you're dancing, the better Marcus shoots and avoids being shot...do poorly and he's unable to get behind cover and dies) and that's a game. Just because it's a rythm game or ANY type of game shouldn't excuse poorer graphics. Since Resistance isn't a rythm game, can we excuse poor sound?

I do think we're going to end up seeing a lot higher scoring games now that GS is going to give "special considerations" based off the type of game (and I'm willing to bet they consider who its aimed at). Since Wii Sports wasn't "meant" to be a graphical powerhouse, and otherwise the graphics are clean with a lot of charm, certainly the score should be higher, right? I mean, a pack-in game that teachs you how to use the remote shouldn't be expected to have excellent graphics...so give it an 8.5 now, right?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Skylock00

But the new scoring system is atrocious nor do the reasons behind it hold water. I remember the example of a rythm game. Some will say that it could never have GeoW-type graphics...I say, why can't it? Just because its a rythm game? That doesn't excuse poor graphics. I mean, they could just as easily put DDRs gameplay over GeoW itself (the better you're dancing, the better Marcus shoots and avoids being shot...do poorly and he's unable to get behind cover and dies) and that's a game. Just because it's a rythm game or ANY type of game shouldn't excuse poorer graphics. Since Resistance isn't a rythm game, can we excuse poor sound?Vampyronight
The problem wasn't that music/rhythm games don't typically have GeoW-type graphics when they should...it's simply that graphics aren't nearly as important in the game's design as other components, like sound...yet the previous sytem was weighted so that graphics were held as being more important to the sound, which is completely contrary to how one would want to evaluate a music/rhythm game.

Even if a game in that genre has ridiculously great graphics, if the soundtrack was poorly made/lame, that is a gamebreaking element, yet getting a '1' in sound would have much less impact on the score than giving a '1' in graphics, indicating the inherent problem with the previous system.

So the only possible solutions would be to have a system where different genres would have different amounts of weight assigned to each individual subscore...which would only cause things to be more needlessly convoluted, or they could remove the whole subscore system, and simply focus on scoring games directly based on the quality of the title in and of itself, while bringing special attention to important aspects of the game (both positive and negative) through the medals system.

And yes, some might be a little cryptic initially...but really, after reading over a description once, it doesn't take much to remember what the underlaying meaning of them are from one review to the next, much like the emblems we find in eachother's profiles.

That's just my feelings on the matter at any rate.

Bill900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Bill900
Member since 2007 • 4530 Posts
Has anyone tried to review a game themselves? Because I did and the player review system seems unchanged.
assassin23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 assassin23
Member since 2003 • 3189 Posts
So much fuss such an insignificant change. People are just getting mad because maybe now Halo 3, GTA IV, Metroid, MGS will all get the same score and we won't know which is a tiny bit better. :o
XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 XL83
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
I agree. I think the new reviews are horrible. I'm going to see what happens with the games I'm actually looking forward to, but I really hate looking at the Transformers review (for example) and not being able to get a feel for how good the graphics, sound, gameplay, value and tilt hold up. An article doesn't do it any justice. A description of the graphics doesn't hold water, a simple number to compare to other numbers is the easiest and most effective way to rate them. I really hope they reconsider, it makes the reviews incredibly generic and unreliable. They tell you nothing, they just give publishers a nice, round, sound-byte of a number to put on a sticker and paste onto game boxes. I'm truly disappointed. The reviews were the only thing that set Gamespot apart from the pack, and I think they're making a big mistake.
Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

Well, I've never relied on Gamespot for reviews that much to begin with, but I'm going to go against the pack and say I don't think the changes are that bad. It's always bothered me, especially when writing reviews myself, that the overall rating was an average of the individual ratings and not just a hand-picked number to represent how good the game is overall. Not to mention, it actually makes a lot more sense to have the scores in .5 increments. I mean, how much of a difference is there really going to be between a game that's an 8.5 and a game that's an 8.6 or an 8.7? The new way just seems a lot easier and more intuitive than the old.

I just hope they change their minds and let us use the medals in user reviews. That would be quite cool, I think.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Numbers are arbitrary and meaningless so I don't think the change is that big a deal. What is important are the facts of a review. I consider a good review one in which the reviewer lays out the signifigant points of a videogame, how he feels about said points is irrelevant to me. If a reviewer scores a game a 9.0 and says that the gameplay/game design is weak, but the game is really stylish, that is a game I am skipping because I have a different set of priorities than the reviewer, though I would still consider the review a good one, since it told me everything I needed to know. On the flipside, if a reviewer raves about what he likes about a game and omits mention of points he considers negative (on the grounds that they are irrelevant since the overall game is a great one by his estimation) than I would consider the review a bad one.