More Foxconn shenanigans in China.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Foxconn is back in the news again. Apparently they "accidentally" had Chinese student interns building Playstation 4 systems without pay in order to graduate. Foxconn insists they were unaware and it was the school's fault. This isn't the first time controversy has come up with Foxconn, who assembles a bevy of other popular devices such as the iPhone, as well as other game systems such as PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

A year or so ago, they had several employees commit suicide at their plants.

Sony's response was as follows:

In a statement issued by Sony, the PlayStation 4 owner said “the Sony Group established the 'Sony Supplier Code of Conduct' in June 2005 with the expectation of every supplier agreeing and adhering to the policies of the Sony Group in complying with all applicable laws, work ethics, labour conditions, and respect for human rights, environmental conservation and health and safety.”

"We understand Foxconn fully comprehend and comply with this Sony Supplier Code of Conduct."

This was posted earlier, but despite the invitation by rag, who locked it, for it be reposted sans personal and confrontational language was not reposted by the original OP, so here it is. I really hope we can stop hearing about this horrible stuff going on over there.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I wonder how much more it would cost to have ethically produced electronics. Foxconn sounds like an absolute hell hole. Between that and the conflict minerals in almost everything we use, I always feel like I have to plug my ears and put blinders on in order to enjoy anything electronic.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Randolph

@rragnaar said:

I wonder how much more it would cost to have ethically produced electronics. Foxconn sounds like an absolute hell hole. Between that and the conflict minerals in almost everything we use, I always feel like I have to plug my ears and put blinders on in order to enjoy anything electronic.

*nods* It does suck dealing with that guilt. I'm not sure their is anything we can do about it though, a few of us could maybe summon the willpower to do without some of our electronic gadgets for a while, but not enough of us to even make a noticeable dent.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@rragnaar said:

I remember hearing/reading something along the lines of an ipad only costing ~40$ more.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Maybe it's time to convert to Amish.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Randolph

@Bigboi500 said:

Maybe it's time to convert to Amish.

No, they only make tiny fake heaters.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@rragnaar said:

I heard somewhere that the costs for electronics on the consumer end would skyrocket if they were to move to more ethical treatment and better pay. Like, Apple products would cost a couple thousand instead of the hundreds they retail for right now. Wish I could remember where I read that.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@rragnaar said:

I remember hearing/reading something along the lines of an ipad only costing ~40$ more.

Apple makes record profits on every iPhone sold. Something to the tune of $200-300. They can easily afford to foot the bill instead of passing it down to the consumer. BUt these pieces of shit care more about their stockholders than their gullible customers so whatever.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Sad to say the least....