Microsoft Ripping Off The Wiimote?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
OMG it's real! I found a pic! [spoiler]  True to Microsoft's form :P [/spoiler]
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

OMG it's real! I found a pic! [spoiler]  True to Microsoft's form :P [/spoiler] selbie

:lol: Well played sir.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
You know I think it's inevitable for companies to start including motion control just because the leading company in sales, in Nintendo, is doing it quite well, but it isn't all about just motion control. Nintendo has captured the casual market, and I don't believe any one can just strip that away from them that easily. I really think that the next generation of gaming consoles is going to be the most interesting. Next gen is almost like a crossroads for all the companies, do they want to go down the path of innovation but simpler games? Or do they continue down the path of high-tech, HD, and expensive hardware?
HardcoreBunni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 HardcoreBunni
Member since 2008 • 643 Posts

When I read this I thought it was a joke but apparently not. The Wii is good at doing one thing: capture the casual market. Yes it has its share of good games, but it has a mountain of really crappy games that all they do special is use the motion control. If the future of videogaming is motion control, then I'll probably stop playing videogames. I like playing videogames because it's an escape from my reality of work, work, eat, work,work sleep. That's why I'm so happy when I get to the weekend, because I get to sit down, relax on the couch and play my 360. I don't wanna do more work than what I've done all week.

This is kinda off-topic, but am I the only one to hate casual gamers? I mean, they only started playing a wii when it came out. Like my cousing who is 11 for example. I ask him if he's beaten Bowser in MArio Galaxy. He asks me who's Bowser. I tell him it's the boss of Mario Galaxy. He asks me what's a boss and I tell him, its a difficult enemy when you have finished a level or a world or a galaxy depending on the game. He says "Oh the brown mushroom thingies"(he meant the goombas...)

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#55 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

This is kinda off-topic, but am I the only one to hate casual gamers? I mean, they only started playing a wii when it came out. Like my cousing who is 11 for example. I ask him if he's beaten Bowser in MArio Galaxy. He asks me who's Bowser. I tell him it's the boss of Mario Galaxy. He asks me what's a boss and I tell him, its a difficult enemy when you have finished a level or a world or a galaxy depending on the game. He says "Oh the brown mushroom thingies"(he meant the goombas...)

HardcoreBunni

Everyone starts off as a casual gamer at some point. Nobody picks up a controller for the first time with a secret wish in his heart to join the "ranks of the hardcore".

Seriously man, you're complaining about an eleven-year-old being casual because he started gaming recently on the Wii and didn't know the secret language?

CAD-Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 CAD-Monkey
Member since 2002 • 124 Posts
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]

[QUOTE="Toilet_Water"]The controller was the deciding factor with the wii. It is a lame system without the controller.
sonicare

It is important, I'm just saying there's much more involved this system's level of success than just the Wiimote. Microsoft is going this route because they want some of that success, without realizing their system is still too damn expensive to reach that mass market appeal.

The success of the wii = wii sports. Seriously. The majority of nongamers that buy the system, buy it for that.

Wii sports does not exist without the Wiimote. The Wiimote is Nintendos competitive advantage.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="HardcoreBunni"]

m0zart

Everyone starts off as a casual gamer at some point. Nobody picks up a controller for the first time with a secret wish in his heart to join the "ranks of the hardcore".

Seriously man, you're complaining about an eleven-year-old being casual because he started gaming recently on the Wii and didn't know the secret language?

I know! I didn't think it was possible to hate 11 year olds. (unless you are 11 years old)
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

If Microsoft is smart (and IF this is true), they'll strongly reconsider making such a play.

There's a reason why historically, aftermarket peripherals have tanked. First, people don't buy them. And second, since people don't buy them, developers don't make games for them. Besides, I like what the 360 is just fine. I don't think it needs to have an identity crisis when what's there is already pretty damn fine to begin with.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

If Microsoft is smart (and IF this is true), they'll strongly reconsider making such a play.

There's a reason why historically, aftermarket peripherals have tanked. First, people don't buy them. And second, since people don't buy them, developers don't make games for them. Besides, I like what the 360 is just fine. I don't think it needs to have an identity crisis when what's there is already pretty damn fine to begin with.

Shame-usBlackley

Well, the original dual shock did pretty well (I don't know what the adoption rate was, but all late model PS1 games seemed to support it). Not that I'm optimistic about the prospects of MS's wand.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="HardcoreBunni"]

m0zart

I differentiate between new gamers who are just getting started playing full games like SMG and casual gamers who are only interested in the likes Wiifit, Wiiplay and Nintendogs.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

I differentiate between new gamers who are just getting started playing full games like SMG and casual gamers who are only interested in the likes Wiifit, Wiiplay and Nintendogs.

CarnageHeart

I assume you mean in terms of target-audience rather than as individuals?

jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts
am i the only one who thinks this is a prank? i mean why would they put an anologue stick on there? it would just be plain stupid,
blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts

Woah! Are you saying that people are copying Nintendo?

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
It's too late to implement this for Microsoft. Maybe next gen.
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Junkie_man
Member since 2008 • 1219 Posts
I hope this is not true. I hate the wiimote (it's just an opinion, I'm not trolling). I find the 360 controller very comfortable and intuitive, so want minimum tampering. I'm probably overeacting, as even if this is verified, it will only be used in minigames and so forth.
Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Mantorok

I hope this is not true. I hate the wiimote (it's just an opinion, I'm not trolling). I find the 360 controller very comfortable and intuitive, so want minimum tampering. I'm probably overeacting, as even if this is verified, it will only be used in minigames and so forth.Junkie_man

Hardly, it would be used for the many FPS available on the console, and it will make playing them far more enjoyable. In fact, most of the issues with the Wiimote is the lack of buttons, MS would add more buttons to their incarnation.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Mantorok

what the hell do you only pop up when their is some sort of discussion involving the Wii and casual gaming.

EddieTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 EddieTheGreat
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts
I don't think it will be released, It is so obviously a Wiimote in disguise that they (MS) will decide against it. I hope they don't, It's too late to change the controller designs.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
It could be used as more than a mini-game only toy, but I doubt it will (provided it will come out, of course). It's not like everyone will have one of those, so they can only "support" it for traditional games. Here's hoping that the games that will be designed around it will actually have some merit.
Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
Well this looks like it could help them inch closer to being the most dominant console of this generation.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

Wouldn't it be funny if they did better than nintendo.

But they are just trying to see where the money is if its their they go their sony do it mintendo do everyone does it its just how they make money and there is nothing wrong with that.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It has an analog stick!! I knew it. Nintendo, please make an analog Wiimote...

Anyway, guys, look at that Microsob thing: it's ugly as controllers get and a blatant ripoff (they didn't even change the colour).

Ok, end of the fanboyism minute.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Mantorok
[QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

HiResDes

what the hell do you only pop up when their is some sort of discussion involving the Wii and casual gaming.

Who said I've popped-up? I frequently read these forums and have done so for years.

So, um, what's your point?

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
I would love some hardcore games with motion control becuase i want to rip someones head and feel like i'm acually doing it.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Mantorok

what the hell do you only pop up when there is some sort of discussion involving the Wii and casual gaming.

Who said I've popped-up? I frequently read these forums and have done so for years.

small talk

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Mantorok
[QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

HiResDes

what the hell do you only pop up when there is some sort of discussion involving the Wii and casual gaming.

small talk

So?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Mantorok

I don't understand your quesiton, but I was saying that there is a difference between gamers who don't have much experience with full games under their belt (i.e. a kid who started gaming last year and whose game experience consists of CoD4 and Persona 3) and gamers who care nothing about full games (a guy who only purchases stuff like Wiisports and Brain Training).

VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts

Hardly, it would be used for the many FPS available on the console, and it will make playing them far more enjoyable. In fact, most of the issues with the Wiimote is the lack of buttons, MS would add more buttons to their incarnation.

Mantorok

Hopefully it would only be an optionl deal, because personally, I found the Wii FPS games to be an unplayable nightmare of terrible graphics and experimental and unstable new control methods, which combined, made for a terrible experience all around. Their is a reason games like MP3 are all but forgotten already, and everyone is still playing Orange Box, COD4, and Halo 3, and having no problem playing them the usual way. The Wii FPS revolution was a complete dud.

mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts

[QUOTE="Toilet_Water"]The controller was the deciding factor with the wii. It is a lame system without the controller.
SteelAttack

It is important, I'm just saying there's much more involved this system's level of success than just the Wiimote. Microsoft is going this route because they want some of that success, without realizing their system is still too damn expensive to reach that mass market appeal.

And the Wii isn't expensive..at all?
$250 is WAY too much for a console like the Wii!
They've been lowering 360 prices, but I haven't seen anything happening with the Wii.
A console with that kind of hardware should not be that expensive. The 360 has far more powerful hardware and is nearly the price of the Wii now.
(Stores here sell it for $300)
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Hopefully it would only be an optionl deal, because personally, I found the Wii FPS games to be an unplayable nightmare of terrible graphics and experimental and unstable new control methods, which combined, made for a terrible experience all around. Their is a reason games like MP3 are all but forgotten already, and everyone is still playing Orange Box, COD4, and Halo 3, and having no problem playing them the usual way. The Wii FPS revolution was a complete dud.

VegetaJr

If we're talking about proving the concept that the Wii control scheme could offer a strong alternative to dual analog for FPS's, I wouldn't say it was a 'complete dud,' since there have been a handful of games that have demonstrated the utility/strength of the Wii's control scheme in a first person shooter setting (namely the likes of Medal of Honor Heroes 2).

The problem in most FPSs for the Wii wasn't the control scheme itself (with the exception of Red Steel, which was glitched to the point of being unstable), moreso than it was other general flaws in game design. Furthermore, the 'terrible graphics' part of your argument is irrelevent because we're talking about the control scheme being implemented onto the 360, which would address that problem, anyways, making the only 'issue' the control scheme istelf.

Lastly, the reason why the games you listed are still being played is because they're all part of well established/known franchises that all have a strong multiplayer aspect integrated to allow the replayability and staying power you emphasize in the post here.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Skylock00

VegetaJr

If we're talking about proving the concept that the Wii control scheme could offer a strong alternative to dual analog for FPS's, I wouldn't say it was a 'complete dud,' since there have been a handful of games that have demonstrated the utility/strength of the Wii's control scheme in a first person shooter setting (namely the likes of Medal of Honor Heroes 2).

The problem in most FPSs for the Wii wasn't the control scheme itself (with the exception of Red Steel, which was glitched to the point of being unstable), moreso than it was other general flaws in game design. Furthermore, the 'terrible graphics' part of your argument is irrelevent because we're talking about the control scheme being implemented onto the 360, which would address that problem, anyways, making the only 'issue' the control scheme istelf.

Lastly, the reason why the games you listed are still being played is because they're all part of well established/known franchises that all have a strong multiplayer aspect integrated to allow the replayability and staying power you emphasize in the post here, while Metroid Prime 3 doesn't have any multiplayer aspect to it, and hence isn't going to be talked about as much after the first month or so, since the single player campaign is all there is to the game.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Skylock00

And the Wii isn't expensive..at all?
$250 is WAY too much for a console like the Wii!
They've been lowering 360 prices, but I haven't seen anything happening with the Wii.
A console with that kind of hardware should not be that expensive. The 360 has far more powerful hardware and is nearly the price of the Wii now.
(Stores here sell it for $300)mastersword007
That's because the Wii has had a higher demand for the hardware than the 360, and has maintained a higher demand this whole time, even if its price is more than the hardware's power should allow for.

Despite having the highest volume of game sales, the 360's hardware numbers simply aren't as high as they should be for being in such a position, hence why Microsoft had to drop their price.

ElPersonaVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ElPersonaVII
Member since 2008 • 1668 Posts
lol when there's something good going for someone everyone else just wants to do the same thing...thats the case with almost anything...