Microsoft Ripping Off The Wiimote?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

MTV's Multiplayer Blog is reporting that Microsoft is working on a Wiimote clone.

The controller itself isn't much different in functionality or design from Nintendo's Wii remote, but comes with four face buttons, an analog stick and microphone. There are also plans for the controller to interact with the Xbox Live Vision Camera, the source said.

Microsoft's controller isn't just a response to "Wii Sports"; it's slightly more ambitious. "They want the usual assortment of 'Halo'/ 'Gears'/ 'Forza'/ whatever, just in waggle form," our source told us. Such idea-generation has not gone smoothly. "The whole thing is a colossal cluster****," the source said. "[Microsoft] marketing just want it so they can match the Wii point for point. The biggest parts of their marketing materials outline how easy it would be for third parties to port their Wii games to the 360."

In addition to designing the interface for the controller, Rare has also fleshed out Microsoft's take on Nintendo's Mii avatar concept, the source said. Microsoft's Miis are designed to be associated with any game that incorporates the controller and create a standard "look" for the games. The avatars aren't tied to a controller when in use, as Xbox Live profiles currently are.MTV
Ugh... let Nintendo do their thing.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
If they can figure out a way to do it better than Nintendo, more power to them.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#3 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
please say this is a late April Fool's joke
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

:lol: The hell? Frankly, seeing teh Wii beat the crap out of the 360 in a monthly basis, the only real question would be...what took them so long to come up with a lame-ass clone like this one? Unfortunately, the appeal of Nintendo's system lies in more complex factors than just a remote with waggle.

This stuff is so obvious it's cringe-inducing, it's as if Microsoft wanted to say "Hey! Look at me! I have the best of both worlds!" At first glance I thought it was the Scene It? Controller.

Toilet_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toilet_Water
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

k

Toilet_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toilet_Water

:lol: The hell? Frankly, seeing teh Wii beat the crap out of the 360 in a monthly basis, the only real question would be...what took them so long to come up with a lame-ass clone like this one? Unfortunately, the appeal of Nintendo's system lies in more complex factors than just a remote with waggle.

This stuff is so obvious it's cringe-inducing, it's as if Microsoft wanted to say "Hey! Look at me! I have the best of both worlds!" At first glance I thought it was the Scene It? Controller.

SteelAttack
The controller was the deciding factor with the wii. It is a lame system without the controller.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
I got a chuckle out of first hearing this. If it's true then I am curious to see where they plan on going with this. If it's not, oh well.
killerzboy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killerzboy010
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts
HA why bother microsoft we all know what happened to sony when they tried ''motion sensor''
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SteelAttack

The controller was the deciding factor with the wii. It is a lame system without the controller.
Toilet_Water

It is important, I'm just saying there's much more involved this system's level of success than just the Wiimote. Microsoft is going this route because they want some of that success, without realizing their system is still too damn expensive to reach that mass market appeal.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rragnaar

[QUOTE="juradai"]I got a chuckle out of first hearing this. If it's true then I am curious to see where they plan on going with this. If it's not, oh well.damariofan

It's real, but the photos are fake. But serously, why is all the heat going to microsoft? sony also did it.

The sixaxis is a lousy controller from a motion control standpoint. Folklore is the only game I've played that uses it well... I guess the difference is that this is a much more direct ripoff, whereas Sony pulled rumble and put motion sensing in to make it seem like the sixaxis wasn't a gimped DS2.
damariofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 damariofan
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts
Remember the blu-ray rumors? Didn't happen. If microsoft is smart, they'll know redesigning their controller will not work out well.
joshi1s3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 joshi1s3
Member since 2006 • 2550 Posts
Nintendo will have to think of something else and copywrite it better next gen it appears
mjwickstrom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjwickstrom1
Member since 2005 • 20454 Posts
Looks cool, but I agree it is very similar to the Wiimote.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
The Wiimote is a gimicky piece of trash. I want to play video games with a controller not a remote control! Well, I want to play regular games and not minigame collections too.
monkeytoes61
You can say that again and I've said those exact words many times. This better be some kind of joke b/c MS doesn't need the amount of shovelware Wii has. Let's hope this fad goes STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Please tell me that's a photoshop mock-up!

If this turns out real than this is the most blatant form of ripping off I've ever seen!

I guess Microsoft thinks Scene-It, Fusion Fenzy, and Viva Pinata Party will outsell Big Brain Academy, Wii-Play, and Mario Party! :roll:

musicaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 musicaz70
Member since 2007 • 1949 Posts

Either I've seen Epic Phail to the max, or a pile of steamy Photoshop BS.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rragnaar

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]The Wiimote is a gimicky piece of trash. I want to play video games with a controller not a remote control! Well, I want to play regular games and not minigame collections too.
dvader654

There is a place for people like you, go there and never come here again.

Yup. We can have this discussion without trolling Nintendo, or MS for that matter.

DoyleyPad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DoyleyPad
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
that controller is screwed up, you cant even hit the buttons and move at the same time because the analog stick is drictly above the buttons, its gonna be completely uncomfortable if they do it like that
cnchcnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 cnchcnch
Member since 2004 • 37 Posts

Please tell me that's a photoshop mock-up!ASK_Story

Its easy to tell with the guide button as well as the Face buttons don't have the same glare as the rest of the 360mote lol not true Microsoft has some dignity

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rragnaar
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Please tell me that's a photoshop mock-up!cnchcnch

Its easy to tell with the guide button as well as the Face buttons don't have the same glare as the rest of the 360mote lol not true Microsoft has some dignity

Nobody said the picture was real to begin with... its a mockup.
Avatar image for deactivated-582d495c81bdf
deactivated-582d495c81bdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 deactivated-582d495c81bdf
Member since 2008 • 751 Posts
Damn you microsoft
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#26 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]The Wiimote is a gimicky piece of trash. I want to play video games with a controller not a remote control! Well, I want to play regular games and not minigame collections too.
rragnaar

Yup. We can have this discussion without trolling Nintendo, or MS for that matter.

I know, I'd much rather beat up Sony with Playstation Live....er i mean Home :P

SupremeJinni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SupremeJinni
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Therefore, if this is true, than it says a lot about what Microsoft really thinks of the Wiimote.

That being said, even throwing aside marketing, I see a key problem, adaptation. In other words, why should developers take advantage of this controller when only a small fraction of the 360 owners have one? So unless Microsoft can tackle adaptation and give developers incentive to develop games for the controller, it may be the industries next, GameCube to Game Boy Advance Link Cable.

Microsoft can however, do a few things to push adaptation. The first would be to bundle the controller in every new Xbox 360 alongside the standard controller.

The second would be to put out a, "killer app," with the controller bundled with it. Doesn't even need to be THAT great of a game, WiiPlay has pretty much proven this.

Finally, Microsoft can keep production costs down. If they sell the wand controllers for $30 dollars a piece, the same price at the Wiimote, than they'll look cheap in comparison to Microsoft's $50 dollar standard controllers.

All this being said though, I'm somewhat dubious.

We're into the third year of the Xbox 360's lifespan by now, in another three to four years Microsoft will be announcing the successor to the console. So I think I may be a little late in the game for Microsoft to radically shift its focus like this.

My suggestion to Microsoft, would be to continue refining the controller, make it as responsive and accurate as they possibly can. Then when they're done with that, start looking into other features they can add to it as well.

If they do that long enough, than they can simply use that design for the 360's successor, and have themselves an uber-controller that's really hard to beat.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SteelAttack

:lol: Awesome.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 juradai

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Therefore, if this is true, than it says a lot about what Microsoft really thinks of the Wiimote.

That being said, even throwing aside marketing, I see a key problem, adaptation. In other words, why should developers take advantage of this controller when only a small fraction of the 360 owners have one? So unless Microsoft can tackle adaptation and give developers incentive to develop games for the controller, it may be the industries next, GameCube to Game Boy Advance Link Cable.

Microsoft can however, do a few things to push adaptation. The first would be to bundle the controller in every new Xbox 360 alongside the standard controller.

The second would be to put out a, "killer app," with the controller bundled with it. Doesn't even need to be THAT great of a game, WiiPlay has pretty much proven this.

Finally, Microsoft can keep production costs down. If they sell the wand controllers for $30 dollars a piece, the same price at the Wiimote, than they'll look cheap in comparison to Microsoft's $50 dollar standard controllers.

All this being said though, I'm somewhat dubious.

We're into the third year of the Xbox 360's lifespan by now, in another three to four years Microsoft will be announcing the successor to the console. So I think I may be a little late in the game for Microsoft to radically shift its focus like this.

My suggestion to Microsoft, would be to continue refining the controller, make it as responsive and accurate as they possibly can. Then when they're done with that, start looking into other features they can add to it as well.

If they do that long enough, than they can simply use that design for the 360's successor, and have themselves an uber-controller that's really hard to beat.SupremeJinni

I think you've covered everything I was thinking. I don't see anything really "wrong" with MS trying to dive into what Nintendo has helped surface, which is the more "casual" crowd. If they don't half ass it then they might actually make something out of it.

A new controller might just be too little too late in this generation but it might have its place in the next.

Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
Ewww. Even if Microsoft were going to down this route, surely they would go for something a little less....clone like. :D The Wiimote isn't actually that good for most actual games, when you think about it. Either the motion sensing seems tacked on pointlessly, or it's just loose and little more than random arm waving. Lots of games on the Wii aren't using the motion sensing effectively, and for motion sensing to become a standard across all game genres, it's going to have to improve immensely.
SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts

I dont like that they stuck a stick on it, basically they made sure that it can only be used in mini games. Hell I wouldn't mind it if they did the nunchuck thing too, that way I can play FPS with the remote which I believe is way better than controller. Also I would buy RE5 on the 360 in a heart beat if it could use a remote. But no seperation of stick and buttons so the idea is ruined already.dvader654

You know, when the Wii was first released I had high hopes for this kind of thing being one of its staples. Apparently not. Although my other hope, more adventure games, does seem to be coming on slowly. If Microsoft putting out a similar controller could help realize the other kinds of possibilities a motion sensing control scheme could have, I'd be all for it. If they just want to flood the market with another few iterations of WiiPlay, no thanks.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

A simplistic controller is only half the equation, the other half is casual games, and MS hasn't really shown any skill in making such games (Nintendo had been offering casual games like Pokemon Snap and Mario Party years and years before the Wii hit). So if I were Nintendo I wouldn't be losing any sleep.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rragnaar
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

gunswordfist

What? Heaven? The man is telling nothing but the truth.

The point Vader is trying to make is that the GGD isn't System Wars... and besides that, two people agreeing on something doesn't make it truth.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#37 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

gunswordfist

That's in the eye of the beholder, and this isn't the forum for that type of console bashing. System Wars exists to keep that kind of fierce console bashing in one forum, and away from others, including this one.

Discussing preferences and giving reasoned arguments for your preferences is fine. Bashing consoles isn't. Keep that in System Wars.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 juradai
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

rragnaar

The point Vader is trying to make is that the GGD isn't System Wars... and besides that, two people agreeing on something doesn't make it truth.

yeah! :o We all know it requires three!

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

juradai

yeah! :o We all know it requires three!

This is true. If you, me and vader agree on something, it becomes fact.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

You can go with him. (BTW I mean system wars in case you were thinking of something else...)

lol I would have been offended if that weren't so funny. But seriously, I see what you mean. I just get crazy with the Wii bashing too often. Can't help it.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

rragnaar

NOt sure about that, if this is true then they deserve all the trolls they get.

Toilet_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Toilet_Water

[QUOTE="Toilet_Water"]The controller was the deciding factor with the wii. It is a lame system without the controller.
SteelAttack

It is important, I'm just saying there's much more involved this system's level of success than just the Wiimote. Microsoft is going this route because they want some of that success, without realizing their system is still too damn expensive to reach that mass market appeal.

Yeah it is to expensive. I think MS missed on the price point also
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

HiResDes

NOt sure about that, if this is true then they deserve all the trolls they get.

:lol:... You could be right.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#44 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]

Toilet_Water

Right on
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="Toilet_Water"]The controller was the deciding factor with the wii. It is a lame system without the controller.
SteelAttack

The success of the wii = wii sports. Seriously. The majority of nongamers that buy the system, buy it for that.

Shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Shaun832
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
This is a bit sad really!
kriptonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 kriptonzz
Member since 2004 • 3637 Posts

Are blatant things like this even legal?

Hell, the article says the thing will be "point-by-point", shouldn't there be a point by point lawsuit then? Sounds like blatant plagiarism.

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
I bought the Wii because it was the next gen Nintendo platform, not because of the motion controls. I play the Wii for Metroid, Mario, and Legend of Zelda. I love my 360 for different reasons, motion control will do nothing to change my opinion of either system. Though shame on the uninspired knockoff, Microsoft.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

Are blatant things like this even legal?

Hell, the article says the thing will be "point-by-point", shouldn't there be a point by point lawsuit then? Sounds like blatant plagiarism.

kriptonzz

That is a good point. My dad is an advertisement lawyer, I'll show him this and ask.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

It was only a matter of time. Still, why not? If they can back it up with some decent games, I can see it working.

Next step, bundling this with the Xbox 360 Arcade and calling it the REAL Wii60.