tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tpz4sheezy
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

Hey guys I am a huge mass effect fan and I just recently started playing mass effect andromeda. I am about 6 hours into the campaign and so far I will admit that it doesn't quite have the magic feeling that the other ones possessed. However so far I don't think it's a bad game at all. I'm enjoying playing it just not as much as the other games. I have a few questions.

1. If it was not called a mass effect game do you think you and other people would hate it As much?

2. Your general opinion of the game and score it out of 100

3. If you do not like it what are some of the reasons you dislike it so much?

I Am just wondering because I keep hearing how bad it is and I'm enjoying my time with it so far. Thanks everyone!!!

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tpz4sheezy

Oh and to answer my own questions I would give it a 80/100 and basically score it the same as the last dragon age games; at least thats my opinion as of only playing 6 hr or so if the game. Also if it was it's own game called space colony I think it wouldn't have been criticized nearly as bad. My only main criticism so far is that I don't like the characters as much so far. I've only juSt acquired pee bee and the Krogan dude. It also seems the side missions were rushed and don't really have the punch that previous mass effect side missions had.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: I wouldn't consider myself a Mass Effect fan at all, I played 1 and it was alright. I skipped the others and tried Andromeda. I am an RPG fan though. MEA is one of the worst games I've played in years. I know they have updated it since launch, but the animations, the gameplay, the combat, the story, the forced political agenda, the bugs, it's all awful. And there is no immersion. I honestly think it might be the most embarrassing AAA ever at launch.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I enjoyed all the games in the Mass Effect series and this one is no exception. I think it helps that I dont have all these ridiculous preconceptions of what a Mass Effect game should and should not be. I think they were all very well executed and told a great tale in a science fiction setting with awesome gameplay to boot - which at the end of the day is good enough for me.

As for the questions:

As for the score I am still playing MEA. So far I would give it maybe a 85/100

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I actually like MEA more than the original trilogy. Because compared to MEA, the original games are very linear and restricting. And really ugly too. They have great storylines, And I've played thru them about dozen times, but after MEA I would not return to them again...

Now as to MEA... Most of the planet maps are really pretty, and filled with missions. True, those missions are rather repetitive and simple, but never boring. I 100% every planet in the game and never got bored while doing so.

Storylines were a bit meh in the game, but there were some really interesting side stories. The main story and the main bad guys were way too much like reapers and their servants in ME trilogy, so that was bit disappointing.

Locations on the maps were very well done. Especially alien bases and towns had good feel and atmosphere to them, and interesting aliens to talk to.

My fave places were Eos and the Krogan planet. Both desert planets. Krogan planet especially was breathtaking place with some really awe inspiring sights. You need to get about 70% thru the game before that Krogan planets opens up for you, tho, so you'll have long way to go.

It's really nice you can tune and paint your 'car' too. You can buy special colour schemes for it and so on, and make it look real nice. You can also tint your armour. I went with Tau colour scheme which I used with my 40K army...

You can also craft your own weps. My faves there were guns with unlimited ammo! Never run outta ammo again!

Here's few pics! The first one shows my fave paint scheme for the vehicle. Pretty cool, no?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: glad you're enjoying it. i've had it installed ready to play for about 3 months now but everytime i'm ready to play it i'll read a post on these boards ripping it to bits and i'll play something else instead. i need to just bite the bullet and give it a shot

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

MEA would have been good if it was released when it was finished and if the writing was better.

MEA was like Phantom Menace, yes some liked it, but that didn't mean it was good.

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tpz4sheezy

@Macutchi:

I am the exact same way. I've had it for months now and never wanted to take that plunge with it being such a long game. So far so good I hope it gets a little better, but if not it's def not as bad as people made it out to be.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

@tpz4sheezy said:

Hey guys I am a huge mass effect fan and I just recently started playing mass effect andromeda. I am about 6 hours into the campaign and so far I will admit that it doesn't quite have the magic feeling that the other ones possessed. However so far I don't think it's a bad game at all. I'm enjoying playing it just not as much as the other games. I have a few questions.

1. If it was not called a mass effect game do you think you and other people would hate it As much?

2. Your general opinion of the game and score it out of 100

3. If you do not like it what are some of the reasons you dislike it so much?

I Am just wondering because I keep hearing how bad it is and I'm enjoying my time with it so far. Thanks everyone!!!

1. No, they would not. I've said many times, if it was a different franchise (a new IP, even) with different alien species, it'd be more accepted. But, that's for a reason: Andromeda is a slap to the face to the ME pedigree, so the hate is deserved regardless of how good or bad it is. It's not Mass Effect despite calling itself as much.

2. Out of 100? Maybe a 75.

3. Uninspired main character. Forgettable companion and NPC characters. Underwhelming villain. Deflated ending despite the buildup.

Electronic Arts has somehow mastered the mysterious art form of "Meh". Battlefield 1 and 2, ME Andromeda, and so forth: they're not bad games, they are just incredibly underwhelming and somehow even more incredibly disappointing as a result because of the rich history behind them.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I thought it was a good game, just not a good Mass Effect game. I really enjoyed it and the gameplay is a lot more fun than any other Mass Effect game, I wouldn't give it a score though. Scoring games is weird to me, I liked a game or a don't. Obviously I like some better than others but I don't find a scoring system to be useful.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44195 Posts

While I was disappointed in Andromeda as a Mass Effect game, as a game in general I thought that it was pretty good. I think I’d give it something like a 7.5 out of 10.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: Can't really judge Mass Effect: Andromeda or any other Mass Effect game. However! What I can is Bioware from my playtime with Dragon Age Origin and Inquisition.

Now I'll just be honest and get to the point. I get the feeling many who enjoy Bioware RPGs don't exactly play or care for games with great gameplay, and are more in the experience for voice acting or plot development. Wouldn't even give them good call-out for art direction.

Because I see no other reason to enjoy these games. And would need explanation to what else they offer.

Combat is below average in the two Bioware games I've played, level design is spaced out but has no meaning towards gameplay. So pointless. Along with hilariously terrible enemy A.I. and lastly movement is pretty clunky.

If you guys enjoy them for the strengths that's awesome but personally find them some of the worst/ most forgettable RPGs I've played. Shallow experiences for Players that could save the time with visual novels.

BentonSouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BentonSouth
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: If the developers here changed the species of the characters and background story.....AND removed the Mass Effect title, it could have had potential as a stand-alone game. It wasn't a bad game. It had a decent enough story. Forgettable characters. Besides that, as I stated previously...it had potential to go at it alone without the title, Mass Effect attached to it.

TheWatKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheWatKing
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Honestly I really enjoyed my play through of Mass Effect. I am a huge fan of RPG games and the Mass Effect series, so enjoyed playing it. I do however understand some of the frustration from the community in regards to the animations and such, but in my opinion that stuff usually doesn't put me off games.

Going off your points:

1) I think that game would have been received better overall under a different name. I liked that fact that the developers decided to move away from the Shepard story and explore a new universe, but I know that Shepard was loved. It would have likely been successful under a different name as well.

2) As I said I thoroughly enjoyed the game, played ever side quest, and cleared every map point, clocking up to around 100 hours in total. The environments were incredible and I loved the design of all of the different worlds. My main issue with the game would be that the ending was very sudden. Without too many spoilers you get to location X and only spend a short amount of time there before finishing it, but I find that in a lot of RPG games these days. Overall score would be 80/100 for me. For comparison I would rank Mass Effect 1/2/3 as: 65/100, 85/100, 75/100.

3) Already discussed my main issues with the game. Only thing that I will add here is that I am unsure if I will play through the game again. Ive completed games like Dragon Age and Skyrim multiple times but there isn't really anything compelling me to return to the game again. This was likely affected by the ability to essentially change class on the fly through the game.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

With how cheap this game is now i have been thinking of picking it up. From what i unddrstand it had a lot of issues when it was released. Has these issues ever been worked out or does it still have a lot of problems?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

@Black96Z said:

With how cheap this game is now i have been thinking of picking it up. From what i unddrstand it had a lot of issues when it was released. Has these issues ever been worked out or does it still have a lot of problems?

The game has been fully updated. I played it recently thru on PS4, and encoutered not a single bug. There are still some animation issues but that's about it.

eLenoreX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eLenoreX
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

Mass Effect: Andromeda is still a good game, but not as good as I wish

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

Andromeda was and remains to be crap. I'd give it a 50 out of 100. Yes, it would have been better if it wasn't a Mass Effect game (because I expect more from Mass Effect.) If you would have asked this question when it came out, I'd have a laundry list of reasons why it's crap, but the game was such a heap of junk that I've forgotten almost everything about it, which just goes to shows crap it is. In the end, it's forgettable... and Mass Effect should not fall into that category. That being said, there were a couple things I did enjoy about it, which only made it worse, because I recall seeing a decent game beneath all the New Bioware 'shine' oozed over it. The combat was fun, the worlds were cool, the graphics are pretty good and the exploration was fun too. Worst was the writing and characters, but then I don't expect much from the New Bioware anymore. Other companies have filled the void that Bioware once held as its own.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

1. Yes I believe that Andromeda's Mass Effect legacy weighed down on it.

2. Overall I would give the game a 80/100. I enjoyed it, just thought it didn't live up to my expectations of feeling like a true Mass Effect game.

3. The bugs and animations didn't really bother me. The open world was a good addition by allowing us to explore but wasn't executed very well resulting in a repetitive structure of side missions and dull world devoid of the magic of the trilogy. I also didn't really like the Remnant and the Kett as villains of the game.