Mario maker depresses me!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shamguy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shamguy4
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

We have a wiiu because I have younger siblings and nephews and nieces and whatnot...

Im ok with it because I like nintendo games. My hope was that I would one day get to play Zelda wiiu! That was five years ago… Well that hasn't happened yet, but Mario maker looked exciting and so I got it! I became favorite uncle of the year and the kids like it. And I tried liking it too.

After the initial fun factor weared off, and I made all sorts of fun courses, I went to check out others on the course world. Naturally I chose to play the top rated courses. This is where I lost hope in humanity.

Now please don't take this the wrong way. I am not trying to be haughty. But the top courses are riddled with the dumbest and most stupidest courses of all time. Like levels that are automatic and you don't even have to move because it carries you from beginning to end. Some sad person spent time making a board where I just literally stand still. If I wanted to watch and not play I would have went on youtube…
Then there are courses where its a music course. Apparently you do nothing but walk and a song plays out… It was cute the first time…

And these boards are given stars and are the top rated boards!!! Why?!

Why aren't there regular boards that look like they can fit in a regular Mario bros. game? Now it occurred to me that these courses may have well been the creation of a 10 year old, but surely there must be some adults out there!

Then there is the complete opposite. There are extremely hard boards that only the creator knows how to beat. While these are the closes thing to fun I have found, dying more than 20 times on a course gets boring.

Im looking for boards that require me to jump at the right time, pop off baddies wall jump quickly and get to the end. Is this too hard to ask for!!!
If there is a forum or thread of courses that are 'normal' please let me know. Or courses made by people over the age of 18?

I haven't played the game in two weeks because I got annoyed every time I turned it on and found another dumb board. It makes me wonder what sort of people I live amongst… Then I go on youtube to find a woman stealing a vegetable steamer from a kid on black friday and I realized the answer…

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

You should make the Mario levels that you notice are missing. Super Mario maker is based on Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 3 on the NES, Super Mario world on the Super NES, and New Super Mario U of the Wii U.

Since most players of Mario Maker are going to be under age 10 years the quality of user created Mario courses are going to be "awful" Most players of Mario maker were not even alive during the NES's Super Mario Brothers 1985, and Super Mario Bros 3 in 1988. Super Mario world was the pack in game way back in 1990. SNES launch. So if your older then 25 years then these games hold memories and how game levels feel if they belong in these great games from yesteryear. I'm going to say not many people over 25 yrs old are going to be playing Mario Maker, Since the worldwide install base is only 10.8 million.

So younger people age 10-12 years are just going to create levels out of curiosity. So don't expect much from user created courses. Some people are just going to screw and mess around with the level editor.

So you must create the Mario levels you want. I would not expect much from user made levels. Plus Mario Maker has just launched so not even 1 million sales has been reached yet. 3 million to million total sales of Mario maker would be great. Since 10 million people have bought the Wii U. So be patient check back in 1 year and see if the quality of user created levels have improved.

Until then make the Mario levels you want.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I thought the main draw to this game would be making your own levels, not playing other people's although that could be fun as well. This game makes me wish I had a WiiU. The enjoyment for me would be in the creating process and not nearly as much in the playing of it. That's just me though and it's a shame you are not finding better quality out there. I would have thought there would be some unbelievably creative people making awesome designed levels.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

dude you are being so haughty

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Wii U came out in 2012, I don't see how you wanted to play a game for a console that wasn't even announced at the time.

And on top of that, the game itself wasn't even announced until 2014.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah, It's really annoying that the top rated levels are some of the worst. It would have been great to have quick access to some of the strongest levels, but the voters have let me down greatly.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

@shamguy4: Google "reddit traditional mario maker" and "reddit mario maker". Those two subreddits (a forum, basically) feature a lot of great user created levels.

shamguy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shamguy4
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Oh come on! I don't need an announcement for zelda, metroid, mario games on a nintendo console. I know they are coming at some point.

I didn't mean to come off as haughty, I was just annoyed that there are too many terrible levels. Anyways thanks for the links @thecouchpotater, I will check them out!

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

The Wii U came out in 2012, I don't see how you wanted to play a game for a console that wasn't even announced at the time.

And on top of that, the game itself wasn't even announced until 2014.

I was wondering this myself. Instant discredit of opinion?

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Ha I share the exact same opinion as you TC, I can't stand the levels where you do nothing. Playing last night, the top levels are pictures people created out of blocks, pokemon etc. The best thing to do is not play the top rated ones, and when you find a level you really like, follow the creator and try their other levels. I've found some really great onesthis way. I think Mario Maker is the best game I played this year.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Also if you post some of your level codes on here I will give them a go tonight.