Male gamers: how do you feel playing games with female protagonists?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
I don't mind. But if I can create a male character I will.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

If the character is well written then I don't give a **** what Race/Gender I play.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Fine by me. I've played a number of great games with female protagonists.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

I'm male. As long as the game is good, I could not care less.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all unless it's the really squealy type girl personality. That personality bothers me in real life, so it's that much worse when I'm subjected to it from my entertainment.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#56 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I prefer to play as male characters because I am a male and games with characters are more immersive if I am offered such a character to play as. Playing as females lessens immersion for me and it does affect the games I purchase.
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#57 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

I always enjoy female protagonists moreso than Male.  Males are generic and done to death.  Females tend to be more interesting.  Much nicer to look at too if I'm going to be following one around for the whole game.

Pffrbt

Interesting way to look at it.

Not really since every other person that plays a female protagonist says the same thing.

I doubt that every other person says the same thing, I doubt anyone played the original Tomb Raider released back in 1996 played it just to stare at Lara when she was that pixelated.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I prefer to play as male characters because I am a male and games with characters are more immersive if I am offered such a character to play as. Playing as females lessens immersion for me and it does affect the games I purchase.BranKetra
It might help if you wore bra and panties next time you play Mass Effect or Tomb Raider ! LMAO ;)
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I dont care either way.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I prefer to play as male characters because I am a male and games with characters are more immersive if I am offered such a character to play as. Playing as females lessens immersion for me and it does affect the games I purchase.Lulu_Lulu
It might help if you wore bra and panties next time you play Mass Effect or Tomb Raider ! LMAO ;)

Why would wearing those help?
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I don't care who I play as, just give me a well written character and I'm there.  That's why I can't stand games like Gears of War, the characters are so poorly written that I have no interest in playing.  I played the new Tomb Raider and thought Lara was a very well written character (her supporting cast not so much).  Really, if male gamers complain about female characters then do you think female gamers are eager to go and play as boring macho-men?  Again, if the character is well written then I'd imagine male and female gamers wouldn't care if the character is male or female.

In Mass Effect I play as female Shepard because her voice actor is better than male Shepard.  Again, give me a quality character and I'll play as them.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'm indifferent. I don't typically enjoy interjecting my own personality into games so there's never a matter of whether or not I feel represented. I enjoy creating characters and having them play out their lives in games. I'd rather analyze and/or make decisions based upon the character I've created.  I guess it's something from theatre that will never quite leave me.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Doesn't affect me. As long as the gameplay is fun and the story is well written I don't care who or what I play as. Which reminds me, I need to pick up the new Tomb raider.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]I prefer to play as male characters because I am a male and games with characters are more immersive if I am offered such a character to play as. Playing as females lessens immersion for me and it does affect the games I purchase.BranKetra

My theory is, by de-masculating you, you'l be able to immerse yourself into female characters much much more easily.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] It might help if you wore bra and panties next time you play Mass Effect or Tomb Raider ! LMAO ;)Lulu_Lulu

My theory is, by de-masculating you, you'l be able to immerse yourself into female characters much much more easily.

Not everyone wishes to lose their manliness like you.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Why would wearing those help?LordTrexGuy

Not everyone wishes to lose their manliness like you.

On the contrary dear fellow. I can immerse myself in almost any character with my manliless intact, infact, quite alot of people can, but some can't/won't. This mystery interests me alot ! :) feel free to call me Detective for this particular investigation !
Mrod1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#67 Mrod1212
Member since 2009 • 1165 Posts

I don't mind.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

I prefer male protagonists but if a female protagonist is sexualized in some way or at least has a nice digital booty to look at, I don't mind. Ignorant, sexist analysis? Sure, but I don't care, lol.

MentatAssassin

"Your ideas appeal to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter". In other words I completely agree.

Lol, I knew I wasn't alone in that theory. Besides, any good game with a female protagonist is usually the subject of some ridiculous article about violence against women or the misrepresentation of women in video games like this crap article about Ellie in The Last Of Us.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I have no issues with it. In fact I rather enjoy it. To me it can be interesting to try (as much as I can) to view the events of the game from a female perspective. I also fond the 'Mass Effect' series, though it was already great playing as a male protagonist, to be even more enjoyable when playing through with FemShep. I dunno, for some reason headbutting a krogan seemed more satisfying as a female. And I rather like that we're now starting to see more strong female protagonists who aren't overly sexualized. Examples: the new Lara Croft, Elena and Chloe from the 'Uncharted' series (even though you don't actually play as them, female Shepard. I did not, however, enjoy Bayonetta in part because I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at how ridiculously sexualized the character was.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I always play as a female (sometimes on a Saturday night out in real life Ha!) as I find male game characters generic,boring,drab bores.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#71 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's stupid to not play a game simply because of a female protagonist. Honestly, I don't care about a main character's gender as long as they're a good character.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#72 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how much of a person's/character's personality is down to their gender ? Is Lara relatable or unrelatable because she has boobs or because she went through something we have'nt ? What would does it say about people who would be able to relate to Lara alot more if she were a dude despite the lack of any gender specific things that happened in the game ?Lulu_Lulu

Interesting that you would bring this up. I don't get the whole "I can't be immersed" argument either. An older white male protagonist is my opposite in several ways, yet personally, I have no problem immersing myself in the game and liking that character if they are well written and if we share some personality traits or experiences. Likewise, I can't relate to some one dimensional soulless sex doll only there for eye candy.

Good writing and similarities to the protagonist help me feel immersed. And even if we don't share many similarities, I can still enjoy seeing the story if its well written and interesting. A character not being the same race, gender, age, or even sexuality as me doesn't automatically ruin my gaming experience. I play video games to escape real life, therefore I actually kind of welcome playing as someone who is different than I am.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#73 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I dont typically. I want a protagonist i can relate to. Main reason i dont buy Odin Sphere no matter how amazing it looks.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] It might help if you wore bra and panties next time you play Mass Effect or Tomb Raider ! LMAO ;)Lulu_Lulu

You are saying I would need to buy merchandise additional to the video game cost in order to play it like PSEye. No thank you
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#75 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I dont typically. I want a protagonist i can relate to. Main reason i dont buy Odin Sphere no matter how amazing it looks.

ristactionjakso
I have no idea why you would be able to relate to any male character and not any female but there are male playable characters in that game
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'm happy to play as either gender. As a male, I can more easily relate to male protagonists. However, I'm a big fan of strong women so I'm happy to play a female protagonist should the option present itself.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]I guess what I'm trying to say is, how much of a person's/character's personality is down to their gender ? Is Lara relatable or unrelatable because she has boobs or because she went through something we have'nt ? What would does it say about people who would be able to relate to Lara alot more if she were a dude despite the lack of any gender specific things that happened in the game ?Lucky_Krystal

Interesting that you would bring this up. I don't get the whole "I can't be immersed" argument either. An older white male protagonist is my opposite in several ways, yet personally, I have no problem immersing myself in the game and liking that character if they are well written and if we share some personality traits or experiences. Likewise, I can't relate to some one dimensional soulless sex doll only there for eye candy.

Good writing and similarities to the protagonist help me feel immersed. And even if we don't share many similarities, I can still enjoy seeing the story if its well written and interesting. A character not being the same race, gender, age, or even sexuality as me doesn't automatically ruin my gaming experience. I play video games to escape real life, therefore I actually kind of welcome playing as someone who is different than I am.

you know whats weird ? Sometimes I play to project myself through the protaganists in some games and other times Introject the characteristics of the protagonist in other games. However I've never played as any protagonist whos anything like me. . . . . Maybe I'm one of a kind ! :)
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Why would wearing those help?BranKetra

You are saying I would need to buy merchandise additional to the video game cost in order to play it like PSEye. No thank you

a small price to pay to broaden your tastes to enjoy more stuff.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] My theory is, by de-masculating you, you'l be able to immerse yourself into female characters much much more easily.Lulu_Lulu

How do you know I would enjoy games with female protagonists?
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I care far more about a character's personality traits and actions than I do about the gender of the character. Obnoxious, arrogant, and overly hostile characters (as well as generic characters) are usually what piss me off and cause me to lose interest in the story or main protagonist. Other than that, I enjoy playing as any character as long as the game itself is fun, and I'm quite willing to overlook a character I dislike if the rest of the game is worth playing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] You are saying I would need to buy merchandise additional to the video game cost in order to play it like PSEye. No thank youBranKetra

I don't. But I would find it interesting. The conditions for your immersion in video games seems odd. What if its more than just Gender . . . . . What about race and religion? LOL what about species (Mass Effect or The Elders Scroll) ? Where does immersion start or end ?
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Legolas_Katarn
I have no idea why you would be able to relate to any male character and not any female but there are male playable characters in that game

I know. This is ridiculous guys. You act like a game with a female protagonist will force you to put on makeup and get a bikini wax. It is still a video game. You'd be doing the same things, just with a female onscreen representation. It would be nice just to hear more female voices as the main character.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] a small price to pay to broaden your tastes to enjoy more stuff.Lulu_Lulu

I don't. But I would find it interesting. The conditions for your immersion in video games seems odd. What if its more than just Gender . . . . . What about race and religion? LOL what about species (Mass Effect or The Elders Scroll) ? Where does immersion start or end ?

Since you are curious, I will tell you. I experience the most immersion when playing as a male character because I am a male. Because I am a male, a male avatar is camiliar to me. I relate to the male body since I am composed of one. I also live with a masculine mindset, so a character with the same is easier to understand than a female or artificial intelligence. I do not relate to characters with attributes considered evil, so I do not play characters featuring those attributes. I prefer character of good morals and somewhat realistic games. I do not relate to a male with a normal build clean and jerking a building. That said, Katamari Damacy is a fun game. The lack of immersion I experience with female characters is understood by knowing I do not consider myself to think like a female which is more important than physical traits in my opinion, so a female avatar is incompatible with me. I will play games with women characters, but the fact I am male and they are females is an inhibiting factor. Please understand.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#85 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I'm perfectly fine with it but I know some people who refuse to play games with a female protaginist (I consider it their loss since they can miss out on some fantastic games) and recently when I purchased the Tomb Raider reboot (excellent game, an absoulute must play for that matter), I received some strange looks from the cashier. So how do other male gamers feel about playing games with female protagonists?

RageQuitter69
I couldn´t care less as long as it makes sense and the character is not just female because its PC like in Mass Effect. But if i have a choice i would always pick my gender.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] How do you know I would enjoy games with female protagonists?BranKetra

Since you are curious, I will tell you. I experience the most immersion when playing as a male character because I am a male. Because I am a male, a male avatar is camiliar to me. I relate to the male body since I am composed of one. I also live with a masculine mindset, so a character with the same is easier to understand than a female or artificial intelligence. I do not relate to characters with attributes considered evil, so I do not play characters featuring those attributes. I prefer character of good morals and somewhat realistic games. I do not relate to a male with a normal build clean and jerking a building. That said, Katamari Damacy is a fun game. The lack of immersion I experience with female characters is understood by knowing I do not consider myself to think like a female which is more important than physical traits in my opinion, so a female avatar is incompatible with me. I will play games with women characters, but the fact I am male and they are females is an inhibiting factor. Please understand.

I think I do now. You like what you are, and find it easier get lost in a character thats just like you. It seems redundant though, also I think if you give it some thought, in the most immersive games you've played, the actual gender made no difference, considering the task the protagonist had to complete requires mindsets even women can possess aswell, I think what you call a Male/Masculine mindset a woman would call it a "Pro-Active/Assertive" mindset maybe even alil aggressive. Or do the games you play feature relationships ? Because that could complicate an allready delicate subject.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#88 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I dont have any problem playing with a female protagonist. I think it adds an extra level of unpredictability, given how a male gamer can pretty much determine what a male protagonist would be like for the most part. It is nice to have a breadth of fresh air sometimes.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 whiskeystrike

The responses are hilarious.

You can relate to murderers, psychopaths, superheroes, antiheroes, people of a different race, those who aren't even human, all sorts of age groups, wildly different personality traits and more.

But a woman is outside of your cognition, outside of your your ability to connect.

Imagine if you applied such logic to a real world conversation. Are all of your friends guys? You've never talked to a female about a common hobby or something. Can't relate?

This board can be stupidly astounding.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

You can relate to murderers, psychopaths, superheroes, antiheroes, people of a different race, those who aren't even human, all sorts of age groups, wildly different personality traits and more.

But a woman is outside of your cognition, outside of your your ability to connect.

Imagine if you applied such logic to a real world conversation. Are all of your friends guys? You've never talked to a female about a common hobby or something. Can't relate?

whiskeystrike

You must be VERY fvcking blind. Everyone here has said they've no problem with female protagonists, but YOU have to b!tch about something and turn this thread into a hate war. Please elaborate on where someone is comndemning female protagonists, you snob. I've never used profanity on the forums before, but pricks like you deserve it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 whiskeystrike

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

LordTrexGuy

You must be VERY fvcking blind. Everyone here has said they've no problem with female protagonists, but YOU have to b!tch about something and turn this thread into a hate war. Please elaborate on where someone is comndemning female protagonists, you snob. I've never used profanity on the forums before, but pricks like you deserve it.

"I prefer to play as a male because I can't relate to a woman"

That's what I'm referring to. I find that state of mind amusing and sad. I already mentioned above all the other kinds of protagonists that people enjoy roleplaying except for one. You can't relate to women? Really? Have you ever, I dunno, tried talking to one? I would think sharing a common personality trait or something of the sort should be simple enough to relate people but that's not simple enough. It's all about that 23rd chromosome.

alstream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 alstream
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I see no deiference. If the female protagonist is strong character I have no resistance to play it:)
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
I quite prefer them, on average.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#94 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

whiskeystrike

"I prefer to play as a male because I can't relate to a woman"

That's what I'm referring to. I find that state of mind amusing and sad. I already mentioned above all the other kinds of protagonists that people enjoy roleplaying except for one. You can't relate to women? Really? Have you ever, I dunno, tried talking to one? I would think sharing a common personality trait or something of the sort should be simple enough to relate people but that's not simple enough. It's all about that 23rd chromosome.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure anyone posting that is either trying to act stupid and be funny or are just trying to upset other people.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#95 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't really care, I'm open to it. I've never felt out of place playing as a female character. Of course, there aren't many games out there that I've played with female protagonist. I did make a female Shepard in Mass Effect as my second character, so I guess I do get tired of just being the white guy sometimes- not that all white guy characters are bad or anything.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#96 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Completely a non issue for me.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Since you are curious, I will tell you. I experience the most immersion when playing as a male character because I am a male. Because I am a male, a male avatar is camiliar to me. I relate to the male body since I am composed of one. I also live with a masculine mindset, so a character with the same is easier to understand than a female or artificial intelligence. I do not relate to characters with attributes considered evil, so I do not play characters featuring those attributes. I prefer character of good morals and somewhat realistic games. I do not relate to a male with a normal build clean and jerking a building. That said, Katamari Damacy is a fun game. The lack of immersion I experience with female characters is understood by knowing I do not consider myself to think like a female which is more important than physical traits in my opinion, so a female avatar is incompatible with me. I will play games with women characters, but the fact I am male and they are females is an inhibiting factor. Please understand.LordTrexGuy

I think I do now. You like what you are, and find it easier get lost in a character thats just like you. It seems redundant though, also I think if you give it some thought, in the most immersive games you've played, the actual gender made no difference, considering the task the protagonist had to complete requires mindsets even women can possess aswell, I think what you call a Male/Masculine mindset a woman would call it a "Pro-Active/Assertive" mindset maybe even alil aggressive. Or do the games you play feature relationships ? Because that could complicate an allready delicate subject.

All he is saying is that he prefers to play as a male because it's easier to understand feelings and play aggresively probably as males in real life do, and females are probably not interesting. And as for my previous post, I just skimmed through your poorly written reply and understood you are simply too retarded and overly stubborn, taking matters further than they're supposed to be. All I said was as a joke to your gay views on everything you were replying BranKetra with. You're probably thinking that you're very hilarious but you're just plain irritating now, probing others on their limits of their tolerance.

Mind my writing, I was never good at English or any language really. Plus if you put something out there then you risk somebody probing it for weakpoints, I'm not saying its fair or rational or right even, I'm saying its inevitable. Sorry if I irritated you, next time I'l use lube to make the probing more pleasant lol ! ;) . . . . . . BTW that was a joke.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#98 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty sure anyone posting that is either trying to act stupid and be funny or are just trying to upset other people. Legolas_Katarn

I wish they were. But I think some of them are serious.

I actually know a guy in real life who has that mentality. Granted, we were talking about anime, but he probably does the same with games. Before looking at the description, genre, anything, he'll say "Nope, can't watch it because it has a female protagonist." And yes, he uses that flimsy "relation" argument. Even if there are male main characters as well he still won't watch it. Even if its a quality series like Ghost in the Shell or Shin Sekai Yori, he still won't watch it. Its sad, but people actually do this.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

I prefer playing the female character whenever possible which outside of character creation games isn't often enough. It gets a bit stale constantly playing the muscly white guy that always gets the lady.