Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

Male gamers complain about women in games like Battlefield 5, but when given the chance to use a female avatar they use it 90% of the time in like every game. Go figure

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

There’s nothing that says a person with a nice set of chain mail can’t play as a woman.

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 scootersgaming
Member since 2017 • 38 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6: Are women strong enough for platemail? Probably too heavy.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

These male gamers who complain about such things tend to be teenagers or severely underdeveloped adults who still live with their parents and hold a grudge against women because women are not interested in them. I don’t think we should focus on those types as much as we do. Their opinions don’t really matter.

I-Siamak-I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 I-Siamak-I
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

It depends. are we talking about UPS, USPS, FedEx? gotta be more clear on that...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@scootersgaming said:

@Ross_the_Boss6: Are women strong enough for platemail? Probably too heavy.

If we're being honest, most men aren't strong enough for platemail either.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@Addict187: I don't follow who this is aiming at in the Forums or otherwise, read small hints of backlash for BFV, but nothing to warrant such an obtuse thread. Apparently all males are thrown into this, which seems outlandish. It's the kind of bold bait I expect from trolls like @tryIt.

Never had a problem with women in games, so long as they fit the role. Gender equality is 'whatever' to me, it's only a problem if I take a side. I like women, but they should be used as such as they are. Creators intent and all that.

When picking a gender for a story focused character, gender should be more than just a palette swap.

As far as Battlefield is concerned. From what I'm aware the complaints are due to historical accuracy, and it's mostly American Gamers taking offence, seeing as it's based on American troops. Oddly enough, Battlefield was never that good at replicating history anyway, so the argument is moot.

For those that take a lady in a fictional presentation of a war in anger? deal with it! If the woman in the game fits her role/ is more than a one-dimensional "hey look at me, I'm one of the boys" character? I don't see the problem. Some of my favorite characters in games so happen to be women, so it's less an issue to me. Not that I was interested in Battlefield anyway.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

@Addict187: I don't follow who this is aiming at in the Forums or otherwise, read small hints of backlash for BFV, but nothing to warrant such an obtuse thread. Apparently all males are thrown into this, which seems outlandish. It's the kind of bold bait I expect from trolls like @tryIt.

Never had a problem with women in games, so long as they fit the role. Gender equality is 'whatever' to me, it's only a problem if I take a side. I like women, but they should be used as such as they are. Creators intent and all that.

When picking a gender for a story focused character, gender should be more than just a palette swap.

As far as Battlefield is concerned. From what I'm aware the complaints are due to historical accuracy, and it's mostly American Gamers taking offence, seeing as it's based on American troops. Oddly enough, Battlefield was never that good at replicating history anyway, so the argument is moot.

For those that take a lady in a fictional presentation of a war salty? deal with it! If the story woman in the game fits her role/ is more than a one-dimensional "hey look at me, I'm one of the boys" character? I don't see the problem. Some of my favorite characters in games so happen to be women, so it's less an issue to me. Not that I was interested in Battlefield anyway.

so now over night BF is a simulator?

quick let me change the tags then!

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#9 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

No problem with women in games,just as long as it's a good game. Don't understand why it would bother some folks.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

Don't recall stating that @tryit.

But you have been known for letting posts go over your head, and sure won't be the last it happens.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

Don't recall stating that @tryit.

But you have been known for letting posts go over your head, and sure won't be the last it happens.

you did however, so there is it folks, Battlefield needs to be historically accurate becuase its a simulator. Its the only reason it would need to be historically accurate.

that said, the reason of 'its needs to be historically accurate because of woman' is as well all know pile of dung, because we always get this dont we? its not like this is the first game to have the 'historically accurate' card thrown in ONLY when it relates to women.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

you did however, so there is it folks, Battlefield needs to be historically accurate becuase its a simulator. Its the only reason it would need to be historically accurate.

that said, the reason of 'its needs to be historically accurate because of woman' is as well all know pile of dung, because we always get this dont we? its not like this is the first game to have the 'historically accurate' card thrown in ONLY when it relates to women.

I stated Battlefield was never historical accurate, which would mean in >context< to its world building/ visual design.

A simulator replicates things like what you do in real life, like reloading correctly, remove damaged parts of a weapon, scraped knees from crawling, overcoming exhaustion with water and rest.

Simulators, simulate some form of reality within its mechanics, for realism, that would help in real situations.

And I never even remotely mentioned simulators. You're just baiting me into a stupid conversation that has no relevance to my posts.

*Though I dub you a Baiter. Can't tell if you enjoy making random comments/ assumptions or just come here intoxicated @tryit. Yet I recommend you re-read what you post, and perhaps who you're replying towards. Because what you reply is almost always idiotic.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

I stated Battlefield was never historical accurate, which would mean in >context< to its world building/ visual design.

A simulator replicates things like what you do in real life, like reloading correctly, remove damaged parts of a weapon, scrapped knees from crawling, overcoming exhaustion with water and rest.

Simulators, simulate some form of reality within its mechanics, for realism, that would help in real situations.

And I never even remotely mentioned simulators. You're just baiting me into a stupid conversation that has no relevance to my posts.

ah well isnt that special and completely not relevant.

bored

because BF is not a simulator it doesnt have to be (and is not) historically accurate. that is an arbitrary rule you made up and only apply if its based on female leads

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

because BF is not a simulator it doesnt have to be (and is not) historically accurate. that is an arbitrary rule you made up and only apply if its based on female leads

Again, nothing here is reflecting upon my posts.

We have RTS games that are very historical accurate, even known to be extremely educational. But the gameplay is anything but in sync with reality/ simulating an experience.

Battlefield has never been historical accurate because it makes too many twists on what has happened in the wars they're mildly referencing, even before this entry.

So why should the rule suddenly hold weight because the cover image is a woman?

You're just trying to add simulators to every conversation, and it holds no weight to this topic or my posts.

Better luck next time sugar.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

Again, nothing here is reflecting upon my posts.

We have RTS games that are very historical accurate, even known to be extremely educational. But the gameplay is anything but in sync with reality/ simulating an experience.

Battlefield has never been historical accurate because it makes too many twists on what has happened in the wars they're mildly referencing, even before this entry.

So why should the rule suddenly hold weight because the cover image is a woman?

You're just trying to add simulators to every conversation, and it holds no weight to this topic or my posts.

Better luck next time sugar.

no we do not have games that are incredibly historically accurate.

since when in history would I have been able to run all day like that? NEVER, but women...yeah we have to pay attention that element of history dont we?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

no we do not have games that are incredibly historically accurate.

since when in history would I have been able to run all day like that? NEVER, but women...yeah we have to pay attention that element of history dont we?

Will make this simple_

Really think if you read my posts and not skim them; you would realise how irrelevant your comments are to anything I posted.

Never stated Battlefield was a simulator, or did I state it was historically accurate.

You are taking what I written, and twisting it. Not sure if it's a troIIing tactic on your part, or just bordom, but it was pointless from your first reply.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit: Will make this simple_

Really think if you read my posts and not skim them; you would realise how irrelevant your comments are to anything I posted.

Never stated Battlefield was a simulator, or did I state it was historical accurate.

You are taking what I written, and twisting it. Not sure if it's a troIIing tactic on your part, or just bordom.

Fine I will play:

1. if its not a simulator then it doesnt need to be historical accurate

2. there is nothing historically accurate about me running around all day in a video game, nobody has ever in history ever been able to be that athletic, so that just killed your 'historically accurate' meme.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
@tryit said:

there is nothing historically accurate about me running around all day in a video game, nobody has ever in history ever been able to be that athletic, so that just killed your 'historically accurate' meme.

Go to a museum and tell someone who works within the building that nothing is historically accurate in the book you just purchased in the lobby. See what response you get.

Next tell a history tutor/ teacher the class is pointless because it's not "historically accurate"

Case and point

You have no idea what you are writing about, and are arguing, solely for the sake of argument.

Also you just want to constantly bring up simulators, because it's something you never shut up about to an extreme degree.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Addict187:

It's pretty fucked up, I know! Japan is waaaay ahead of the West in terms of gender equaliy in games. There are so many great Japanese games out there with strong female protagonists!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

there is nothing historically accurate about me running around all day in a video game, nobody has ever in history ever been able to be that athletic, so that just killed your 'historically accurate' meme.

Go to a museum and tell someone who works within the building that nothing is historically accurate in the book you just purchased in the lobby. See what response you get.

Next tell a history class tutor/ teacher the class is pointless because it's not "historically accurate"

Case and point

You have no idea what you are writing about, and are arguing, solely for the sake of argument.

Also you just want to constantly bring up simulators, because it's something you never shut up about to an extreme degree.

wat????????????????

what the F does a book in a museum have remotely to do with a video game?

a video game does not need to be historically accurate.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ
@nepu7supastar7 said: There are so many great Japanese games out there with strong female protagonists!

Won't argue with this statement_

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

I don't care that there are women in BF5. There is nothing wrong with that.

The thing I have a problem with is how they are trying to A.) capitalize on the neo-feminism movement by having a woman on the box cover of their game, and B.) intentionally trying to generate buzz by having people argue over it.

I mean, really, it's brilliant marketing. But also disgusting and amoral.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TryIt
@mrbojangles25 said:

The thing I have a problem with is how they are trying to A.) capitalize on the neo-feminism movement by having a woman on the box cover of their game, and B.) intentionally trying to generate buzz by having people argue over it.

what is this 'neo-feminism movement' exactly?

what is the position here of this 'neo-feminism movement'

that more women should be in video games that are 100% about mass murdering each other or AI?

this country has gone completley off its ^&* rocker!

I mean seriously a female making the observation that most video games have male leads is not considered to be a 'neo-feminism movement'

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Addict187:

It's pretty fucked up, I know! Japan is waaaay ahead of the West in terms of gender equaliy in games. There are so many great Japanese games out there with strong female protagonists!

this is a joke, right?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RSM-HQ
@tryit said:

Multiple countries use these Forums fyi

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nepu7supastar7

@mrbojangles25:

No, I'm dead serious.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

you like to not focus on the point and instead try and catch people in any kind of strawman error you can find, dont you?

well me not going to play much that game

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RSM-HQ
@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

you like to not focus on the point and instead try and catch people in any kind of strawman error you can find, dont you?

You was never on point tryit, so why pretend to be now?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

You was never on point tryit, so why pretend to be now?

boring

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@Addict187: Yes, there were some women in WW2, but they were mostly non-combative on the frontline's but mostly Snipers and field medics. Woman in WW2 where only in Russia not in the British, American, French, Polish, Czech, Dutch, Belgium, Japanese, various African regiments, Canadian or Australian armed forces.

Russia conscripted women precisely because Russia used its soldiers as fodder, their capability was irrelevant. They were expected to die quickly without having an appreciable impact on enemy forces, to the point Russia essentially had no logistics (support) for it's frontline forces. It was all about slowing the enemy advance long enough for winter to save the day, which is Russia's strategy in the face of any invasion.

Overall, It's incredible that the historical accuracy crowd is so hung up on the woman that they somehow forgot the British soldier with a katana. Woman in WW2 were certainly there, but not in the place BFV is claiming they were which is why the trailer sent out the wrong message to begin with. Still though, I"m buying BFV day one and I happen to enjoy BF1.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mrbojangles25

@tryit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

that more women should be in video games that are 100% about mass murdering each other or AI?

I mean seriously a female making the observation that most video games have male leads is not considered to be a 'neo-feminism movement'

You really love taking things out of context, don't you. I said I don't have a problem with it, not sure why or how you are making such a big fuss over it.

Let me try it another way:

let's say I was developing a game that made social commentary on race relations in the US; that commentary is a small part of the game, after all, it's an action-RPG in the vein of Mass Effect or something. My main character was Chinese-American and the "hero", while the "antagonist" was a black woman. Then, during production of my game, let's say out in the real world some prick shot a black kid for wearing a hoodie.

My publishers, seeing how people are going crazy over this current event, decide it's a good idea to put a black kid wearing a hoodie on the cover of my video game, and in the back you can see a sinister man with a gun.

Don't you think that's a little, idunno, insensitive? Socially irresponsible? Misleading?

TL;DR: as I said, I don't object to a woman on the cover. I object to a corrupt and terrible company like EA claiming ownership of feminism to sell violent, electronic entertainment to a mostly-male audience. It's social plenary indulgence; trying to buy good karma by superficially supporting women, while having ulterior and amoral motives.

Women are still [rightfully] fighting for their rights and safety in the US and elsewhere, I don't think the box art of a video games that takes place in an era where it was novel to have a woman working a factory job is the right place to put a picture of a strong woman.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrbojangles25

@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

pot, meet kettle.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TryIt
@mrbojangles25 said:
@tryit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

let's say I was developing a game that made social commentary

its hard for me to get passed this, I will try and go back if I get more time.

'we should have more women in lead roles in video games where its 100% killing' is not anywhere near a 'social commentary' nor is it 'neo-feminist' in my mind

its like saying 'I dont see any ice cream here, we should have more ice cream' and then call that some kind of movement. its not.

sorry you were a victim of my 2nd tier anger even though you might agree with me on higher tiers.

I have a problem with the topic in question being considered 'a movement' even more so when the counter to the position is never on substance and appears to not even exist.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25

@tryit: no harm no foul :D I often find that you and I are in violent agreement and often argue when we don't need to haha. But then again I come here to debate so it's all good :) Cheers

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@davillain- said:

@Addict187: Yes, there were some women in WW2, but they were mostly non-combative on the frontline's but mostly Snipers and field medics. Woman in WW2 where only in Russia not in the British, American, French, Polish, Czech, Dutch, Belgium, Japanese, various African regiments, Canadian or Australian armed forces.

Russia conscripted women precisely because Russia used its soldiers as fodder, their capability was irrelevant. They were expected to die quickly without having an appreciable impact on enemy forces, to the point Russia essentially had no logistics (support) for it's frontline forces. It was all about slowing the enemy advance long enough for winter to save the day, which is Russia's strategy in the face of any invasion.

Overall, It's incredible that the historical accuracy crowd is so hung up on the woman that they somehow forgot the British soldier with a katana. Woman in WW2 were certainly there, but not in the place BFV is claiming they were which is why the trailer sent out the wrong message to begin with. Still though, I"m buying BFV day one and I happen to enjoy BF1.

I don't care if the game is Historically accurate. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of the online male crowd will most likely use the female avatars in the game. Including the Historically accurate complainers.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@mrbojangles25: There's also this:

(Stolen from Google+)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mrbojangles25

@davillain-: women not good enough for the Deluxe cover, I guess.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RSM-HQ
@mrbojangles25 said:

women not good enough for the Deluxe cover, I guess.

Deluxe editions in these FPS games are usually for people easy to waste money, and add death match buffs because they're bad online. So whoever is on the standard edition seems more respectable in my opinion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrbojangles25

@RSM-HQ said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

women not good enough for the Deluxe cover, I guess.

Deluxe editions in these FPS games are usually for people easy to waste money, and add death match buffs because they're bad online. So whoever is on the standard edition seems more respectable in my opinion.

haha touche, good sir

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RSM-HQ

@mrbojangles25:

haha touche, good sir

Don't shoot the messenger now ;)

Not my problem the male lead for BFV became the Pokémon Yellow edition_

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

this is a joke, right?

I'm pretty conflicted on this. I see women sexualized in almost every Japanese game I've played, even if the characters are rather young (as in, not "adult" by the US definition). Then again, there do tend to be strong female characters in many of these games at the same time.

Anyway, as for the topic - I think the majority of people don't really care. It's the ones who are actually upset at the presence of a female character in a trailer that really only confirms they'll be in the MP that make gamers look bad. Even if there is a part of the campaign with a female soldier, I'm sure you can dig a little through history to find that there were some women who served. Either way, it's a pretty silly thing to get caught up on. It's not like Battlefield 1 was historically accurate. Most play Battlefield for the MP and I highly doubt people play the MP to immerse themselves in realistic warfare. But I guess at this point I'm taking too much time to analyze the logic of intolerant idiots.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@Addict187 said:

Male gamers complain about women in games like Battlefield 5, but when given the chance to use a female avatar they use it 90% of the time in like every game. Go figure

That very fact should tell you that it's not "male gamers" complaining, since they are very happy to play as female characters.

But I guess that would debunk the "male gamers are bad" narrative, so we'll keep ignoring it.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nepu7supastar7

@SoNin360:

There can be power in sexiness too, y'know. Attractive women have a way of manipulating men. The black widow effect.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Oh boy I can't wait for you to elaborate on that.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: Attractive women have a way of manipulating men.

Yeah but this is the oldest female trope in the book - the seductress, going back to the very earliest stories ever written. That's not original or even helpful to the female cause to just yet again, make them a sex object.

I like this character, she's really well drawn, looks determined, yet vulnerable and appears to have a personality. The man is ok too and not too beefy.

I thought I'd upload it so people could see what we are talking about.

She even has pitted skin from acne or maybe shrapnel scarring which adds depth and the face is not a classical beauty but has a kind of earthyness to it. Maybe that's a knock on effect from every company using the Game of Throne ginger wild lady for their female characters the past couple of years.

I like the fact that she's got one arm too as she must be a crack shot and headshots everyone with her Desert Eagle.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/05/24/this-year-its-battlefield-5-fighting-youtube-trailer-dislikes-for-a-change/#397b5b5b66cd

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RSM-HQ

@PraetorianMan:

Oh boy I can't wait for you to elaborate on that.

Not following your sarcasm, I like story characters with context, depth, and appeal. Have a place in the games world and goals to achieve for character growth.

And think gender regardless of which one, can change the character drastically, for better or worse.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#47  Edited By BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@Addict187 said:

It seems that way. As for people getting extra salty over women in Battlefield 5, meh & they need to grow up its not a deal breaker. Plus, nobody wasn't salty over a woman on the "Medal Of Honor Underground" cover art on PS1 18 years ago! Oh don't get me started on YouTube for it's just downright chaos over that website over BFV's "controversy". I'll go to the museum, watch a documentary or read some books to get some historical accuracy. Why video games need historical accuracy is beyond me & people in gaming community WILL be playing the game when it comes to put the fiasco behind them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I think people should complain that the BF series plays more or less like COD these days.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TryIt
@warmblur said:

I think people should complain that the BF series plays more or less like COD these days.

agree completely.

its just same game different skin

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

They are just scared of women, those sad, lonely nerds...

Poor little boys.