LOTR Shadow Of Mordor OT - Thoughts, Impressions?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Hey guys,

Shadow Of Mordor is officially released and should be in your area for pickup.

This thread is basically everything and anything Shadow Of Mordor, so discuss the game. Likes, dislikes, praises, criticisms, etc. Let us know what you think!

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Installing now, not sure how much actually play time i'll get until the weekend though. Kid will be home from school soon after install completes and then I have work the next few days so don't see myself getting much time to play right away.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@Metamania:

Are you picking the game up? If so, what are your initial impressions of the game? I must admit I am very tempted to get this game but with Forza Horizon 2 launching the same day in the UK, I will wait and get it at another point when I will have more time to play it.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MuD3

Well... I just ran the benchmark, have yet to run the game because kid is home in 10 mins. On my gtx780 FTW (3gb) with everything set to ultra I got 72FPS average... even with the setting that says you should have 6gb to use it at ultra. My min FPS was 27, but I watched the numbers the entire time and the only time it dropped below 60 was right at the beginning just after coming off the black screen.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@MuD3 said:

Well... I just ran the benchmark, have yet to run the game because kid is home in 10 mins. On my gtx780 FTW (3gb) with everything set to ultra I got 72FPS average... even with the setting that says you should have 6gb to use it at ultra. My min FPS was 27, but I watched the numbers the entire time and the only time it dropped below 60 was right at the beginning just after coming off the black screen.

You need to download the ultra HD textures pack separately apparently.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

The whole orc hierarchy thing they have working here is actually pretty great. I've already had this huge rivalry with an orc captain who made his fame on killing me. I kinda got absorbed in tracking him down and killing him to the point where I pretty much dropped everything else I was doing and started following these vendetta quests that were generating themselves out of our previous encounters.

The orc in question was just a common grunt that killed me during a challenge mission and rose in ranks from that...Whenever I'd meet him in battle he'd start by taunting me about his earlier victories. Then the game spawned an execution quest where I had to spoil this execution he was holding against rival orcs...well, I did that, and his hostages escaped, but someone let the hounds loose and it forced me to regroup a bit, whereupon he escaped. Then I tracked him to a feast he was holding and slaughtered him in front of his own men. At this point, I thought I was done with him...he's humiliated and, as far as I knew, dead. But a little while later he showed up in one of the quests I was doing relating to something else with vengeance on his mind...he was all messed up with this big scar on his face, one eye missing, from our last fight. Ended him for good there...i think. And that was all totally unique to my game...really kinda cool...I mean, i was hating this guy more than most story villains.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I just picked the game up. Not sure when I will be able to play it though.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MuD3

After a couple hours of play, this game is fucking great... I don't even like LotR

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

5 hours in and I love it

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

The game looks like like a combination of the worst shit from Batman and Assassin's Creed mixed with bunch of generic tropes from awful western games.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

The whole orc hierarchy thing they have working here is actually pretty great. I've already had this huge rivalry with an orc captain who made his fame on killing me. I kinda got absorbed in tracking him down and killing him to the point where I pretty much dropped everything else I was doing and started following these vendetta quests that were generating themselves out of our previous encounters.

The orc in question was just a common grunt that killed me during a challenge mission and rose in ranks from that...Whenever I'd meet him in battle he'd start by taunting me about his earlier victories. Then the game spawned an execution quest where I had to spoil this execution he was holding against rival orcs...well, I did that, and his hostages escaped, but someone let the hounds loose and it forced me to regroup a bit, whereupon he escaped. Then I tracked him to a feast he was holding and slaughtered him in front of his own men. At this point, I thought I was done with him...he's humiliated and, as far as I knew, dead. But a little while later he showed up in one of the quests I was doing relating to something else with vengeance on his mind...he was all messed up with this big scar on his face, one eye missing, from our last fight. Ended him for good there...i think. And that was all totally unique to my game...really kinda cool...I mean, i was hating this guy more than most story villains.

That is different enough from other video games in favor of purchasing Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. The horseback, or rather Caragor, combat looks robotic. Leaning over and swinging his blade, and repeating that entire animation with little to no recovery time is not thrilling. Other parts of the game are, but that is something I refuse to do much of because it does not entertain me and that is one of the main reasons I buy video games.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Im pretty excited. Getting it tomorrow

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

With the new phones hitting the market, I'm currently a bit strapped for cash now but will be checking this out soon. Looks good so far.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What about the Progression System ?

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@Ish_basic: Wow. That is pretty cool.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

With the new phones hitting the market, I'm currently a bit strapped for cash now but will be checking this out soon. Looks good so far.

The game is actually a lot of fun. Reminds me so much of Assassin's Creed and maybe a little bit of Arkham (solely on combat, but it isn't as rhythmic or dymanic as Arkham's combat).

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

that sounds really good. just what i was hoping for, to be able to create your own stories within the game. will be picking it up this weekend

MedaFaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MedaFaded
Member since 2014 • 274 Posts

@Ish_basic:

@Ish_basic said:

Hahaha Thats sound cool! Man I can't wait to play. I would have done the same. That is awesome he came back on you. The nemesis sounds great.

MedaFaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MedaFaded
Member since 2014 • 274 Posts

@Pffrbt:

@Pffrbt said:

The game looks like like a combination of the worst shit from Batman and Assassin's Creed mixed with bunch of generic tropes from awful western games.

That comment means about the same as your name... nothing! Have you played it yet? To give us this in depth review?

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@Ish_basic:

That sounds really cool. Is the gameplay holding up or does it start to feel like it is dragging if you are getting past the opening stages?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Behardy24

@Ballroompirate said:

5 hours in and I love it

Same here. I'm really liking it.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Behardy24

There's a lot to this game, it's hard to know where to start. All I'll stay for now is that it is very clear that Monolith put a lot of work in this game. Th amount of detail and variety they put in the characters is unbelievable. It's one of the few games that every playthrough will be unique from others. Killing the Urnk is super fun.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#24 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Am I right in thinking that the captains are getting stronger the more and more they kill you?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@behardy24 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

5 hours in and I love it

I'm at 12 hours and 3 min now lol XD, still loving it

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Behardy24

@JustPlainLucas said:

Am I right in thinking that the captains are getting stronger the more and more they kill you?

Yes. Every time a captain or a random NPC kills you, they rank up in Power level and become more powerfully.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Behardy24

@Ballroompirate said:

@behardy24 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

5 hours in and I love it

I'm at 12 hours and 3 min now lol XD, still loving it

Oh man, I think I'll invest 2 times that amount of time this weekend. xD

I think this is the first next-gen that I'm really into.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 branketra

I own a copy of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, now (Disc, because digital is not worth it, yet). I am about twenty minutes in and I can say with certainty that the basics are easy to learn. That is worth playing.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MuD3

@Garfield360UK said:

@Ish_basic:

That sounds really cool. Is the gameplay holding up or does it start to feel like it is dragging if you are getting past the opening stages?

Nope, gameplay gets better as you go.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JustPlainLucas

@behardy24 said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

Yes. Every time a captain or a random NPC kills you, they rank up in Power level and become more powerfully.

That's... unfair. :(

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By branketra

@BranKetra said:

That is different enough from other video games in favor of purchasing Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. The horseback combat looks robotic. Leaning over and swinging his blade, and repeating that entire animation with little to no recovery time is not thrilling. Other parts of the game are, but that is something I refuse to do much of because it does not entertain me and that is one of the main reasons I buy video games.

Or rather, Caragor riding

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i getting shadow mordor on december probably

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#33 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I am really excited to get it tomorrow

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Combat is too easy and too repetitive much like ac,other than that i am liking it so far.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Reviews were great , comments are positive , so far so good !

Atmosphere seems to be intense , all it needs is a good package of soundtracks , how are the soundtracks guys?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 branketra

@mjorh: It is not bad.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MuD3

My only complaint so far is how fast enemies re-spawn... I kill an entire stronghold and before I can escape the area it's full again.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Behardy24

@ShepardCommandr said:

Combat is too easy and too repetitive much like ac,other than that i am liking it so far.

i agree. That's not to say the combat isn't satisfying, but it pretty easy. Only time it gets difficulty is when there are a large amount of enemies on screen (like 15+) and a captain. But I imagine for higher level players it would be easy to manage.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Behardy24

@MuD3 said:

My only complaint so far is how fast enemies re-spawn... I kill an entire stronghold and before I can escape the area it's full again.

My criticism is the same. Just leaving an area for one second and enemies will already be respawned immediately. This problem keeps fights going for longer than they should if your near a stronghold or makeshift camp. And I can't make myself run away because it is too tempting to kill them since they're so easy. This makes the game feel more "video game-y" if you know what I mean. It makes the world feel a bit less organic and in-drawing, but only by a little bit.

It isn't a huge issue, but if Monolith plans to throw patches out for this game, the one addition that would be really good is putting respawn times/delays across the entire world.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Then they can add a Challenge Mode to compensate for the change.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

Then they can add a Challenge Mode to compensate for the change.

I'm not far along in the game yet, but I believe there is already a challenge mode, both in the open world and as a separate mission pack.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@behardy24 said:

@MuD3 said:

My criticism is the same. Just leaving an area for one second and enemies will already be respawned immediately. This problem keeps fights going for longer than they should if your near a stronghold or makeshift camp. And I can't make myself run away because it is too tempting to kill them since they're so easy. This makes the game feel more "video game-y" if you know what I mean. It makes the world feel a bit less organic and in-drawing, but only by a little bit.

It isn't a huge issue, but if Monolith plans to throw patches out for this game, the one addition that would be really good is putting respawn times/delays across the entire world.

Glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I tend to like a little time to sit back and enjoy the carnage that I've wrought.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Whats the Progression System like ?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Behardy24

@JustPlainLucas said:

@behardy24 said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

That's... unfair. :(

I think it's a very good thing. It constantly makes the game more difficulty and has the dark souls effect of consequences for you getting killed. It also causes you to make strategies to deal with the captain as they will become much more powerful if you let them stay alive.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

Whats the Progression System like ?

You mean the leveling up system, correct?

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@medafaded said:

@Pffrbt:

That comment means about the same as your name... nothing! Have you played it yet? To give us this in depth review?

Pretty sure I don't need to play it to comment on how it looks while drawing on my experience with games like this while considering everything I've heard about it and considering the developer.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

This game looks and sounds great. I love both Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham games so it's definitely a game that I'd enjoy. I just picked up a Wii U so this will have to be something that I pick up a little later on.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Leveling Up, Upgrades and New Toys.... I heard something that sparked my interest... Need to know more.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

Leveling Up, Upgrades and New Toys.... I heard something that sparked my interest... Need to know more.

Okay I see.

So there is multiply layers of leveling in this game, here's the breakdown:

Standard Leveling: In this type of leveling, killing enemies grants you XP. When full up the XP bar and hit the next level, you get 1 ability point. This ability point can be invested in a skill tree that let's you unlock cool moves and combos.

Money Leveling: You can earn money by completing side missions and challenges. Then you can buy increases for your abilities (Health and "focus",etc.)

Rune Leveling: When you kill captains (basically bosses), you can acquire runes as a reward (you have to pick it up though). Since you have three main weapons (A sword for fighting, a bow for long range, and a dagger for stealth) The rune can be equipped for one of those weapons. You automatically have one slot at the start, but you need money to buy more slots. The runes basically increase your chances for doing things (EX: You now have 35% chance of gaining 5 health when killing enemies)

Power Leveling: Completing Nemesis missions or killing captains gains you Power points. These power points unlock skill abilities that are locked away in the skill tree I was talking about in Standard Leveling.

Hope this helped :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Oh yes, you are a treasure ! :)..... Looks like Batman's design philosophy is leaking into other games...... On more thing..... Like batman, do you get enough Skill points to unlock everything, or will there be a hard limit (creating unique builds in multiple playthroughs and different for each player) ?