RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Previously have been pretty positive about Monster Hunter: Rise. Defended what it's going for. Expanding on G5 to the handheld market is also what I wanted along with many in my personal coop party.

With that stated have noticed a lot of backpaddling on Generation 5's hugely successful World and Iceborne in the upcoming Rise, not all for the better. The lackluster character creator shown not too long ago was a wake up call. Are they cutting the fat from W/I or just cutting in general?

Before I throw bullet points; feel free to leave your own thoughts of Monster Hunter: Rise below. However, keep it tasteful please ツ

On the negatives we've received from interviews and footage-

• Character Creator is very stripped down and lack a lot what is expected from Gen4 and Gen 5.
  • Single Player and Multiplayer quests are going back to being split up and must be done separately.
  • Map areas for hunting are confirmed more flat surfaced, with less layers for versatility. (as they didn't want players to battle the map along with the hunted monster)
  • Amiibos are locking a lot of layered armor, and the list is already growing (over-priced microtransactions)
  • Lobby downgrade for cooperation. which discourages rotation. Gone from 16 to 4.
  • Framerate consistency from captured footage is worrying. Seems to struggle often.
  • A.I. appears overly forgiving, however they are all LR monster so far, so this is unknown for HR.
  • We have only seen one map (shrine runes) in action, this late into Rises advertising.

From the positives we have a few clear things to be thankful for-

• Monster types are confirmed to be more diverse than W/I.
  • Skippable cutscenes (no sane person liked the World Handler)
  • Better looking weapons and armor (for LR anyway)
  • Confirmed mount tweaks as it was awful, highly pointless, and long in W/I.
  • Turf-Wars will only get better (we have to take word value, as we haven't seen the results)

We won't really know much else till the demo drops but that's the gist of Rise. And should be noted this is not the World team. They are busy with a very different unnamed MH game. Rise is worked by many the staff behind X/Gen Series (not a fan) and Portable 3rd (very good)

Am indifferent to this team, they've done good and mediocre MH games, all the data we've covered though leaves me with

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Thanks for the update! I will not be getting this game so I have fallen behind on news but seems like the concern is bit overblown for now. I do though have some thoughts on some points as below:

• Single Player and Multiplayer quests are going back to being split up and must be done separately.

I agree this one is terrible. separate village quest and online hub quest is really redundant in the old games and I personally much prefer they scale if player "let other people join" the hunt. I enjoyed World scaling I think its fair, though 2 player does takes longer to break parts but I think its solved in Iceborne. Really not liking this news, seems like its just bloat to extend the game.

• Amiibos are locking a lot of layered armor, and the list is already growing (over-priced microtransactions)

Nintendo fans will love this. Judging from previous Amiibo releases Capcom and Nintendo would be stupid for not taking advantage of those cash cows. They even managed to sell out the $60 lazily emulated game to fans. Capcom will definitely paywall Nintendo related layered armor/characters and Nintendo will take advantage by overpricing those Amiibo.

-------------

As for the map and other things like multiplayer, I have already mentioned I hated the vertical nature of this game so it being much flat is a win for me personally. But, I really hate how basic the "main" map is compared to even the previous gens. seems so lifeless compared to the old game, and really a huge downgrade compared the beautiful and dense fauna & wildlife of world. Multiplayer back to old game style, eh its a hit or miss. I love to have 16 friends/guild member/randoms in the hub and 4 is limited but I guess we will get used to it as its like the old games.

Also, I actually liked the handler......

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

Nintendo fans will love this. Judging from previous Amiibo releases Capcom and Nintendo would be stupid for not taking advantage of those cash cows. They even managed to sell out the $60 lazily emulated game to fans. Capcom will definitely paywall Nintendo related layered armor/characters and Nintendo will take advantage by overpricing those Amiibo.

Bought that lazy port and will admit it's not the greatest product in the world, in fact one of my most shameful purchases in a long time. Love Super Mario Galaxy though and wish it came with Galaxy 2 as well. It might actually be the worst remaster grabbed in a very long time, think Silent Hill PS3/360 collection bad.

Needless to say however am not an Amiibo buyer, and most Monster Hunter fans know we have better options for vastly superior models.

Also, I actually liked the handler......

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

I prefer the old way of dealing with MP to the World way myself......though neither setup is great.

Having to wait for the leader to see the cutscene (and i think needing to see it yourself) before being able to join someone is an absolute pain. I have been introducing my brother to MH with world and getting some co-op going but, as first impressions go....yeah. not a good one.

Ideally world without any walls. just let someone post a quest and let others join whenever (though give the user to add their own joining criteria if they wish).

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ

@osan0: I do agree the pacing of World is awful, doesn't really have a good flow till we get the roster of Elder Dragons.

Monster Hunter 4 did it best as far as getting players into what makes these games special. Starts strong and keeps up the momentum. The pacing was great in MH4/MH4G, outside the mandatory egg quests.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Yeah, I'm concerned as well. The Generations team you say? That should be the biggest reason for concern, imo. Generations just wasn't very good. Coming from the utter masterpiece that was MH4, it made me kind of regret getting the game and not just continue playing MH4 instead.

I don't have any doubt that Rise will be fun and a good game, it's basically a given. But I'm not sure I want to "go back" after World. We'll see..

Thanks for all the info, MH sensei.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Either way it turns out I'm not too concerned. As long as it's vastly different from World I'll be happy. Not that I don't like MHW: I, I love it in fact, I just want a different experience.

Honestly I'm more excited for Stories 2 overall.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ

@briguyb13 said:

Either way it turns out I'm not too concerned. As long as it's vastly different from World I'll be happy. Not that I don't like MHW: I, I love it in fact, I just want a different experience.

It's not gonna be. It'll be as different as Tri is from P3rd, which isn't a great deal. Just a fresh coat.

Rise is a Gen 5 MH game, so takes most its cues from World and Iceborne.

To each his or her own. Personally not what I call the Monster Hunter experience, though good in its own way.

Stories is as close to a true Monster Hunter game, as Puzzle Fighter is a Street Fighter game.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

To each his or her own. Personally not what I call the Monster Hunter experience, though good in its own way.

Stories is as close to a true Monster Hunter game, as Puzzle Fighter is a Street Fighter game.

Never said it was. I still loved the new formula of Monster Hunter universe + JRPG with non-generic characters and a story in that world.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Since the leak of a PC release is possible, I might get it when modders able to add more flora and fauna to the maps. Otherwise I am 100% out of this game for now, hope devs can wow me otherwise.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
@briguyb13 said:

Never said it was.

Never stated you did, simply giving context to anyone diving in not having a clue what Monster Hunter: Stories is.

I still loved the new formula of Monster Hunter universe + JRPG with non-generic characters

Was indifferent on the first game myself, though is an interesting take on the IP.

@sakaixx said:

Since the leak of a PC release is possible, I might get it when modders able to add more flora and fauna to the maps.

Have a decent P.C. that upgrade for BGIII and will still likely play Rise on Switch, it's handheld MH am craving for personally. And worth note I played Iceborne and World on PS4 more than P.C. which I only tried for base World through Steam and was pretty underwhelmed.

Whether Rise will actually be worth playing, or even coming to P.C. is not truly known at this time.

I'll always take official word on ports, over these criminals leaking hacked data; which could have been pitched ideas since discontinued.

A few have noted a lot of the gaming leaks are files from 2018, so things could have changed since then.

*On that note please don't mention the Biohazard/ Resident Evil: Village story leaks. Whether they are true or not would rather not know, as I intend to play that game.