Is Xenoblades Cronicles worth purchasing a Wii??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

The title is basically the post.

Is this game good enough to warrant a purchase of a new (or used) Wii?

I love greatRPG games (the ones that aren't grt kinda suck IMO) and this one looks fantastic. So can anyone tell me from experience of actually playing the game if it's a game that is soo good that it's worth buying a Wii just to play?

Profilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Profilia  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 2226 Posts
My copy hasn't arrived yet, but I would say yes. I've heard nothing but praise for it. It's a limited release, so you really should pick up a copy. The price for it will no doubt be much higher later.
gamegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamegod
Member since 2002 • 2497 Posts

yes

Gurzociurlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gurzociurlo
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Well, it really depends on tastes, you know... Personally, this game gave me everything that Zelda Skyward Sword didn't, it's an epic RPG with a very good and fast-paced story, combat can be frustratingly difficult sometimes but rewarding in the end, and above all, the world is pretty much the hugest thing I've ever seen in ANY game, it literally takes hours to explore, it's so varied, from tropical jungles to snowy mountains, from mouldy caves to futuristic cities flying in the sky, and the day-night shift makes everything look even more fabulous, I wasn't really convinced the first time I played it, but if I didn't carry on I'd have made a big mistake, it's one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life, and I played a whole lot of them! I don't usually like Japanese RPGs that much (except for Tales of Symphonia, that was my #1 favorite before Xenoblade came around), but this game is worth the money, a speed run would take you 50 hours to finish!

There is only one thing I don't like in this game... Well, there might be spoilers in what I'm about to write, but I'll try to make it very vague. There will be a sidequest in which you'll have to do something, and get items in order to do it. Well, you can get those items in some areas, but at a certain point something will happen and you won't be able to pick them up, and the side quest will meet a point of no return. That could be frustrating...

Everything else is simply perfect... If sometimes you can see a developing team's effort in a game, well, in Xenoblade you will see the developing team's dedication.

Sunuva22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 187

#5 Sunuva22
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts

If I didnt already have a wii I would get one for the latest games, I listed out some of the best RPGs and other games that you should give a try especially if you can find them for a cheap price

just get Link Skyward Sword and Twighlight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy1 and 2both almost the same game, New Super Mario Bros Wii and you will have all the best games

If you are getting the wii for just one game that would be a waste although the game was very fun when I played it

dizzyrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dizzyrhino
Member since 2005 • 885 Posts

Although make sure your WII can run Duel Layered discs. I can't play any of these newer games because for some reason my old wii simply can't run them. I bought the Last Story and I just get some "no disc detected message" can't return it because they say the problem is my WII not the game. I'm stuck in limbo trying to decide if I should buy a new WII or not. There aren't any people in my tow any more who can fix it either.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
For me 1 game is never worth a purchase of a system but to each their own!
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I'm holding off on a Wii given that I suspect the Wii U will be backward compatible and is less than a year off.

Xenoblade Chronicles The Last Story Dragon Quest X (If it doesn't end up being a worthless multiplayer fest and not like Dragon Quest VIII) Skyward Sword There's a fair amount of games that are on my "to play" list when I do get the Wii U or pick up a cheap Wii after the Wii U comes out.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

One game is never enough to purchase a system, but lucky for you there are tons of great exclusives on Wii. XC is a very deep and engaging experience, so I'd say get it and some other games.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

thank you, everyone, for your replies.

looking to buy a wii for this game and the zelda games as well.

hopefully i can get a good deal at newegg or somewhere soon.

thanks again

:)

MalakTawus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MalakTawus
Member since 2006 • 2720 Posts
I buyed a Wii only for Xenoblades and i couldn't be more happy since imo it's a truly epic game.........but after that i was able to enjoy The Last Story (not good as Xeno,but still a good game if you like jrpgs like me) and in two days i'll finally be able to play Pandora's Tower that seems to be another AMAZING game :) . In other words i suggest you to do like me, buy a Wii and enjoy Xeno to the fullest without worrying too much, after that you surely will be able to use your Wii also to play other interesting titles ( i HIGHLY suggest you to take a look at Pandora's Tower,seriously).
csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I'm holding off on a Wii given that I suspect the Wii U will be backward compatible and is less than a year off.
Xenoblade Chronicles The Last Story Dragon Quest X (If it doesn't end up being a worthless multiplayer fest and not like Dragon Quest VIII) Skyward Sword There's a fair amount of games that are on my "to play" list when I do get the Wii U or pick up a cheap Wii after the Wii U comes out.nocoolnamejim

Your sig is awesome, sir.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I couldn't get into the game and personally don't recommend it. This RPG is much too eastern imo like White Knight Chronicles and Final Fantasy 13. Sure, it has a few Elder Scrolls inspired conviences, but it's pretty dull and sophomoric imo.

Autosaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Autosaver1
Member since 2010 • 491 Posts

#1 JRPG ever made.

Like said before, it seems like this game is limited. If you don't hunt a copy now, you may have to fork over a 100 dollars for a copy down the line. You could always buy a copy and buy a Wii U.

JRLennis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 JRLennis
Member since 2005 • 291 Posts

I'm very interested in this game, but can't really justify the purchase of a Wii for that alone. If the game is as good as people say, I wouldn't be surprised if a high-def version were to come out at some point. The Devil May Cry series and Metal Gear have gotten the high-def treatment already. Why not this?

Truthfully, it's the Wii's lack of high-definition capabilities that turned me off of the system in the first place. I say that everyone who owns a Wii should pick up this game and create some demand for an updated version that the rest of us can get excited about. Making a high-def version for the new Wii would be a smart move for Nintendo, especially if the new X-Box and Playstation go the "always-online" route.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Tough call. Personally, I wouldn't buy a console for a -single- game, because video games are expensive here. But when you consider that, along with Xenoblade, you have the other great jRPGS (namely The Last Story and hopefully, the upcoming Pandora's Tower), the Nintendo exclusives (Skyward Sword, Mario games, Donkey Kong, Metroid - specially the Metroid Prime Trilogy -) and, what influenced me a lot, access to old classics with the Virtual Console -- from NES and MasterSystem to Nintendo 64 you have games like Zelda: The Adventure of Link, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (VI) - possibly the best FF -, A Link to the Past, Phantasy Star II, Super Metroid, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and dozens of other high-quality games that aren't easy to find nowadays for old consoles, or which you'd rather play it on your videogame instead of on your PC - turning down a Wii purchase, considering it's relatively low price (specially in the U.S./Canada/Europe), is a bad call if you like video games.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I'm very interested in this game, but can't really justify the purchase of a Wii for that alone. If the game is as good as people say, I wouldn't be surprised if a high-def version were to come out at some point. The Devil May Cry series and Metal Gear have gotten the high-def treatment already. Why not this?

Truthfully, it's the Wii's lack of high-definition capabilities that turned me off of the system in the first place. I say that everyone who owns a Wii should pick up this game and create some demand for an updated version that the rest of us can get excited about. Making a high-def version for the new Wii would be a smart move for Nintendo, especially if the new X-Box and Playstation go the "always-online" route.

JRLennis

Xenoblade: Chronicles was developed by Monolith Soft, which is a first party developer owned by Nintendo. It's not coming to another console, and if they ever ponder releasing an HD remake in a future Nintendo console, it's at least half a dozen years in the future -- not a year or two after the original game came out. It's certainly not a smart move: spending development time from Monolith Soft or whatever developers Nintendo decide to use to tweak the graphics of a game that is great just to appeal to a few people, instead of creating what could possibly be their next great game.

The lack of HD isn't a detriment to the game's quality. It would look better, true, but the game already looks great. The story, combat, massive world, exploration and amount of side-things to do is what makes this game as good as it is.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
I don't know it would be worth purchasing a console over one game. After that one game, then what? I'm sure you would want to check out that console's library of games and see what it has to offer.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
No game alone is worth a console, but you certainly would be doing yourself a favor owning a Wii and all of the great games it has. However, with the Wii U coming soon, you'll have to decide if you want to wait.
rizimr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rizimr
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Used copies are already around $100. About the same price as a Wii lol
ThirteenChords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ThirteenChords
Member since 2007 • 229 Posts

Like others have stated there are plenty of exclusive Wii games worth a purchase. In addition to the Zelda games, there's games like the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Fragile Dreams, the Mario Galaxies, Donkey Kong Country Returns, No More Heroes, etc.

Dezuria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Dezuria
Member since 2003 • 741 Posts
Xenoblade is my #1 favorite RPG of this generation, and I've played em all, across all systems. it's worth it.
No_SuRReNDeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 No_SuRReNDeR
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Agreed but also I would add that the Wii still has 2 more AMAZING games to come with Last Story and Pandoras Tower on the horizons.....the answer is a RESOUNDING yes....

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

In combination with The Last Story, the upcoming Dragon Quest X and N's first-party titles, yes.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Even though I'm not a Wii owner, I've thought of just buying Xenoblade and the other RPGs before they are rare. Never know when a Nintendo Wii is being sold for dirt cheap.
nadal97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nadal97
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts
would you really buy a console just for 1 game
DiamondSlicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 DiamondSlicer
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

I guess for the people still thinking about buying a Wii, just wait for the WiiU since it can play wii games as well.