Is There A "Too Old" Cut-Off Point For Games For You?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone else is like me when it comes to this.

I pretty much can go as far back as NES and Sega Master System and still enjoy a good portion of their game libraries.

However when I start to get into systems made before that like the Atari 2600 or Intellivision I find very little games that can actually entertain me for more than a few minutes at a time. I figure it's one those things that you just had to be there when it was new to enjoy it. Dig-Dug and Missile Command stick out as a couple I really enjoy, but even those games I can only play for so long. It just doesn't hold my attention or entertain me as much. I also much prefer a d-pad (or a thumbstick) to a joystick, especially the ones on Atari systems, Colecovision, and Intellivision. Intellivision and Colecovision's are just uncomfortable, unintuitive, and just plain suck. And while Atari 2600's isn't as bad, the actual joystick is quite stiff, but thankfully the Sega Genesis controller is compatible with Atari 2600.

I do own an Atari 2600 and a handful of games (as well as a Pong-clone) because I'm into the history of gaming and I like to see where gaming came from.

Is there a similar cut-off point for you? What is it?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I'm pretty much like you. NES/Master System is as far as I go.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Shockwave-DASH
Member since 2012 • 1093 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone else is like me when it comes to this.

I pretty much can go as far back as NES and Sega Master System and still enjoy a good portion of their game libraries.

However when I start to get into systems made before that like the Atari 2600 or Intellivision I find very little games that can actually entertain me for more than a few minutes at a time. I figure it's one those things that you just had to be there when it was new to enjoy it. Dig-Dug and Missile Command stick out as a couple I really enjoy, but even those games I can only play for so long. It just doesn't hold my attention or entertain me as much. I also much prefer a d-pad (or a thumbstick) to a joystick, especially the ones on Atari systems, Colecovision, and Intellivision. Intellivision and Colecovision's are just uncomfortable, unintuitive, and just plain suck. And while Atari 2600's isn't as bad, the actual joystick is quite stiff, but thankfully the Sega Genesis controller is compatible with Atari 2600.

I do own an Atari 2600 and a handful of games (as well as a Pong-clone) because I'm into the history of gaming and I like to see where gaming came from.

Is there a similar cut-off point for you? What is it?

Emerald_Warrior
The same as you except i can go back to the Intellivision but I can't go back to the NES. I can go back to the MS or the 7800 though. SMS mostly for Wonderboy.
SlykReviewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 SlykReviewin
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts
I'd go as back to where games have originated. As long as I am interested and willing enough to go through the game, there won't be any trouble. I'd play Magnavox games and even text-based only games that did not have any simple graphics, but just text.
Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Probably before the NES. I mean I can handle a good retro game but they have to be able to hold up and most before the nes IMO cant. Like pong and Pitfall ( ithink it was pitfall) don't hold up in my opinion.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I'm with everyone else; the NES is as far back as I can go. Past that, I just can't get into 2600, Intellivision, Odysee, ect.

neptunegears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 neptunegears
Member since 2010 • 82 Posts

The game libraries of systems in the pre-NES era get a spotty rap because there wasn't any sort of real quality control, coupled with just plain bad controllers (the ColecoVision has to be THE worst in this respect, though it did have more horespower than any other console out at the time). I think there's a lot to enjoy from this era, though; the Vectrex is an experience in and of itself, for instance, and the ColecoVision was the Nego Geo of its day, with a library sporting the most accurate arcade ports. Personally, I love the high tension gameplay of those old arcade games.

I don't have a defined cut-off point; I even enjoy a good text game now and then if the parser is halfway decent ('A Mind Forever Voyaging' is a classic!).

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#8 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
The NES/Master System. Their games annoy me by now. Except Super Mario Bros. :P
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

For me there is no cut-off point, I can go right back to the beginning of games and still have a blast.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well , I can find games in almost every generation that I like, but generally speaking when you get to the late 70s and early 80s, the amount of games I can really get into is minimal.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Since the NES is the oldest System I own. That would be it.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

I can go back to the NES but it has to be games that I've played before. I find it hard to start a new game for the first time on older systems.

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts
Depends on the system. I can still play the good games for, for example, the Atari 2600, but I can't stand the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#14 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I honestly don't much like playing NES games anymore and even a lot of 16-bit era stuff just doesn't work for me. It's not that I don't like the games but so few of them let you save your progress that it is just hard to find time to really dig into them. For my eight-bit fix, a lot of later Game Boy and GBC games have the same style of gameplay and graphics but do let you save progress. I will take, say, Super Mario Land 2 on GB over Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES for this reason. The latter I can play the first half of over and over while the former, I actually get to finish.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I'm surprised so many people can't seem to get into Atari consoles personally I have no real problem, plus, I like having to use my imagination :P
knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

I honestly don't much like playing NES games anymore and even a lot of 16-bit era stuff just doesn't work for me. It's not that I don't like the games but so few of them let you save your progress that it is just hard to find time to really dig into them. For my eight-bit fix, a lot of later Game Boy and GBC games have the same style of gameplay and graphics but do let you save progress. I will take, say, Super Mario Land 2 on GB over Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES for this reason. The latter I can play the first half of over and over while the former, I actually get to finish.

logicalfrank

I can beat SMB3 in about 15 min haha. No, it doesn`t let you save but thats why it has warps ;)

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Early 80's is generally as far back as I can go. Though there are a handful of exceptions.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
It depends on how the game was designed and if what we have now is doing it better. It's hard to go back to play most FPS, Racing, or Sports games but I could easily go back and play old SRPGs, Shoot em ups, beat em ups. In later years I could still see myself going back to playing some games that have come out 10-20 years ago but once you start getting back to the Atari it's not going to be easy finding anything worth playing, and there wouldn't be much point in looking in the first place.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I can honestly say without hesitation that I enjoy the 2nd generation of consoles more than the 7th. Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision, Odyssey 2, Astrocade, and Vectrex >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii, PS3, and 360
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
So far I have not reached that point. I have yet to try a text-adventure though.
Beef_Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Beef_Noodles
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
As far as nostalgia takes me, no further.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#24 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

No, because there are well made games for the very old systems, Q-Bert comes to mind, that are fun to play even today.

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
I can appreciate most Atari 2600 games that I've played, but they just don't hold my attention for longer than five to ten minutes. NES / Sega Master System is the absolute furthest back I can go, although most of my favorite games are from the N64 / PS1 era or later. I'm not a big fan of 2D platformers, so a lot of 8 and 16-bit games don't interest me very much. There are obviously exceptions, though. And, now that I think of it, I do like Adventure for the Atari 2600 a lot. Apart from that, I can't think of any 2600 game that holds my interest for too long.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

So far I have not reached that point. I have yet to try a text-adventure though.Reptylus

I loved playing text-adventures on the C64, I haven't played any in years though. I might have to go play one now, for old times' sake.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

NES and up for me mostly. There are older games than those that I like but not many.

Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

The consoles that I can never get into is the Atari 2600 or any other console that was part of the same generation as the 2600. The oldest one that I can get into is the NES and that console still kicks ass to this day. The games are still awesome.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Before entering the thread, I thought the title was asking if someone can be too old to play games. For the age of games themselves, I agree that the NES/Master system is a good beginning point. That's when games first really started getting good, imo.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

nope. if it has anything that i enjoy playing, ill play it

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

I'm with everybody else. The NES is as far back as I can go and still have a fun time playing. Most of the games are put in and play a bit, but many hold their own and can be played alot. When I hook up the 2600, its fun but gets old quick. I'd say the 8 bit and 16 bit era was when games started to really evolve though and achieved good/solid sit down fun.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#33 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
It's like the two-decade mark. If it's more than 20 years old there's a 70% chance I won't try it at all.
Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts
I don't care how old a game is. I have 70 something Atari 2600 games and hope to get a Magnavox Odysseysoon
wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
To actually own and collect? It would be the 16 bit era. I didn't own a NES or a master system so there's no nostalgia factor in collecting them. To play? I'd try anything. Frogger, pac-man, pong, pitfall are still fun in their own way. I should try qbert. But those games are very different in design from current games; they were all about trying to beat your own score so they are kind of timeless.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I'm pretty much like you. NES/Master System is as far as I go.Dudersaper
same for me ...figures since NES was my starting point
metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

I can play games that offer good nostalgia, but in no way will take them seriously. I don't plan on sitting around and beating the original Legend of Zelda anytime soon, but maybe just watch the cartoon. I go as far back as the NES, but can really only play games that I knew back then and loved. New games that I have never played in that era would just bore me to death.

I would probably humor Atari 2600 games for a few minutes but could never in a million years take it seriously, it's just TOO old and these days I've gradually since a teenager grown accustomed to games with developing plots, characters and storylines, or even complex fighting games that require real timing and skill and somewhat of a following (could try and get better at SF3 but won't bother with a game like King of Fighters for the PS2). Anything other than that won't interest me one bit.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
NES is as far back as I'm willing to go...
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts

NO. If it is a Fun game.....then I'm Game.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

NES and Colecovision for me. I still love my coleco, first system I ever owned. I'm still hooked on Miner 2049er and Gorf.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HAMMERCLAW
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

It's hard for me to go much further back than SNES/Sega Era. It's not that there aren't worthy games, further back--Atari 7800 had some awesome games--it's the crappy controllers they had, back then.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

It's hard for me to go much further back than SNES/Sega Era. It's not that there aren't worthy games, further back--Atari 7800 had some awesome games--it's the crappy controllers they had, back then.

HAMMERCLAW
emulation can fix that
Thule_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Thule_77
Member since 2009 • 128 Posts

It depends on how good the games were. I judge based on the games not the launch date of the system.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

IMHO opinion, 2600 games mostly weren't that good. Don't get me wrong. I had one when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. I played ET when I was 8 and while I wouldn't say I loved it, I found it engaging enough to actually beat it (or a round, anyway. You beat it and it just starts over). I enjoyed titles like Yar's Revenge, Combat (multiplayer only kinda sucked though), Joust (7800 one was waaaaaaaaaaay better).

The 2600 was really compared to the arcade counterparts back then. While it was neat that there was a "home arcade game" you could play, every arcade port paled badly in comparison to it's upright counterpart. It wasn't until the 7800 era that the games looked even remotely like the originals. Pacman 2600 was the most popular title and it looked like absolute crap even then.

So yes, I remember my roots but I play 2600 games only to try to remember what it was like when I was playing these games new but had I not played them in my childhood I would have little incentive to play them now (and yes, I actually beat Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark).

-Byshop

katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
NES is the oldest I own, I switch it on for an hour or two occasionally.
supern0va9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 supern0va9
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts
Yeah, anything prior to the current generation. I've been playing games since NES, but sorry, old games are too archaic and dated. Even PS3 games prior to when they had trophies don't do it for me anymore.
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
Yeah, anything prior to the current generation. I've been playing games since NES, but sorry, old games are too archaic and dated. Even PS3 games prior to when they had trophies don't do it for me anymore.supern0va9
If you are serious, that sucks for you man. Means you have a very small choice of games to play. I can enjoy a well-made game even if the graphics arent amazing. Ive been only going so far back as the NES era so far, but I have bought some collections of atari games and really enjoy many of the games, so I will be exploring that console generation eventually as well. I find with games from the NES era and backwards though, you need to play a game for 30 mins or a hour to really know for sure if you will like it. Some of them have steep learning curves.
supern0va9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 supern0va9
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts
There's plenty to play on PS3 and computer. I have an NES. SNES and Genesis emulator on my Wii, and I play the games for 10 minutes then get bored. I'm spoiled by HD, trophies, and the complexity of current games. I did play about halfway through Secret of Mana, though (a game I loved as a kid). Chrono Trigger, FFVi, etc. all get boring for me.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I have a lot of trouble stomaching the presentation of NES era gaming, even though I began gaming in the 2600 days. The SNES and Genesis are really where I start.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
SNES/Megadrive is about as far back as I can go and enjoy games. Which is odd because my first system was a Master System (which I enjoyed immensely at the time). I find I just can't enjoy most NES/Master System games. Even the precision of the control feels somewhat clunky in those games. There are a few exceptions though, mostly games from the very end of those respective systems' lifespan.