is the gamecube hugely underrated?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
i think so

i just picked my first gamecube, and a handful of games(zelda:WW, metroid prime, tales of symphonia, pikmin) with plenty more i plan to get in the near future, and im having a blast with these games

i feel foolish that i missed out on the gamecube last gen

and i also must say that pikmin is an extremely well executed RTS for consoles, and from the looks of it pikmin 2 is slightly better in all ways, unfortunatly its a bit rare and expensive

what do u guys think?
Yamstis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Yamstis
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Sort of. Both the Xbox and PS2 had more games released for them that were worth buying. However, the good games that were released for the Gamecube were some of the best of last gen. Tales of Symphonia, Zelda, RE4, etc.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
My brother got a Gamecube back in 2003 with the Zelda collection disc and I still play my Gamecube and some of the games to this day. It was a great system that had some true gems in its life. Some other games you should get are the Resident Evil remake, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin 2, and a couple more. And I do agree that Pikmin 1 was a great game. I finally got around to playing it last year and it was one of those great gems that get overlooked by the Halos and GTA's of the gen.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#4 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

The  gamecube was waaaaay under used

It was great technology.

A system in between the Ps2 and Xbox in terms of raw power.

But nobody was buying the purple lunchbox and that means nobody was making games for it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Hugely, severely, and sadly underrated. For it's size:

• It was powerful
  • Excellent selection of (exclusive) games (imo)
  • Quiet
  • User friendly (when open during gaming, it tells you to close lid)
  • Very compact, yet built like a tank
ehsan8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 ehsan8888
Member since 2007 • 2303 Posts
The system was great. The only problem is that Nintendo was lacking in 3rd Party support. Think of the legendary games, most of them were published by Nintendo, except some games like Resident Evil 4 and Tales Of Symphonia.
Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Yameneko549
Member since 2003 • 4522 Posts

The Gamecube is still my favorite system, and I agree that it's underrated and was underutilized. It has so many great games, though, that you don't always notice.

I think that part of the problem was the fact that Nintendo went with DVD1 technology (1.5GB on 8 cm discs) instead of DVD5\DVD9 dechnology like PS2 and Xbox did. Then again, Resident Evil and Tales of Symphonia got around this by using multiple discs, so there really wasn't an excuse.

I think that Nintendo's stance on online gaming really hurt it as well, though it did get Phantasy Star Online 1+2 and Phantasy Star Online III: C.A.R.D. Revolution. It was really up to the developers to impliment the online service, though, and I think they just got too lazy or figured there wasn't any point in it. Same with LAN mode, though the three games with that feature were all by Nintendo.

Then there's the GBA\GCN link support, which really should have caught ona bit better. I mean, look at Zelda: Four Swords and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, which have an excellent use for the link. Zelda: Wind Waker and Splinter Cell also have great uses for the link.

Maybe it was the devs just being lazy, or not wanting to utilize the system to it's fullest. I dunno what the problem was, but the GCN was capable of so much more. It was just too ignored way too often.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Yes. The Gamecube was an amazing system with tons of great games.
fennec_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fennec_fox
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

Excellent system, whose capabilities were very poorly marketed (online for one, widescreen and progressive scan support would be another, wireless controllers yet another) :( Mistreatment of 3rd party devs by Nintendo did not help it either...

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#10 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts
I thought the gamecube was the best system by far last gen. I mean sure, the ps2 had more games, but more doesn't really mean better. I have a ps2 and a gamecube and my ps2 is collecting dust. I suppose that it's really just a matter of taste, though. Nintendo just makes the best first party games imo.
Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yameneko549
I thought the gamecube was the best system by far last gen. I mean sure, the ps2 had more games, but more doesn't really mean better. I have a ps2 and a gamecube and my ps2 is collecting dust. I suppose that it's really just a matter of taste, though. Nintendo just makes the best first party games imo. blankshore
I have a PS2, GCN, XBox, X360, and Wii, and the only one I've been playing is my Gamecube, so you can tell which one I prefer. I'll agree with the "Quantity =\= Quality" statement as well. Just look at the Nintendo Wii and how fast it's game selection went downhill, despite having a ton of games.
klidron02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 klidron02
Member since 2008 • 454 Posts
I thought the gamecube was the best system by far last gen. I mean sure, the ps2 had more games, but more doesn't really mean better. I have a ps2 and a gamecube and my ps2 is collecting dust. I suppose that it's really just a matter of taste, though. Nintendo just makes the best first party games imo. blankshore
You know what, now that I think about it, you're right. Nintendo really does make the best first party games. But yeah, the GC was very under appreciated, it had a lot of great games like Resident Evil 4, which I'm watching the credits of while I type this :P It was better than the Xbox imo, but nothing will ever be able to hold up to the almighty PS2, but that's a whole different story. But as I said, the GameCube was great. Had the best controller for one thing.
idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
I had a Gamecube and PS2, and to me the graphics seem nearly the same. The gamecube was portable enough to take around with you, they even had an adapter for GBA games to be played on it, and they had a screen that can be attach to it. The machine was underrated slightly.
mount-eerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mount-eerie
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts

It didn't deserve the bashing it got when it came out and you can pick them up now for a really decent price. Overlooked is probably a better word.

However it's always cool to look back and say the underdog is better but in this case i think the ps2 was the better system. Some great exclusives though  

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
underrated>?? no system had no games I actually only owned less the 7 games for gc
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Yes
mariojoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mariojoe
Member since 2006 • 199 Posts
I think it was good, but it was overshadowed by the PS2 and Xbox, two amazing systems.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#18 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I wouldnt think so. Didn't do anything special. Wasnt much exclusive on it that you wouldnt expect to see. It's just your typical Nintendo console really, but less impressive. There was ridiculous down time between each notable release and there was no online multiplayer support. The platform was practically dead after RE4.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vashkey
they had a screen that can be attach to it. idk761
Yeah, all three of the main systems had one back then. They even made one for the PS1. Obviously it didn't catch on or else it'd be more common place. Really though, when you have handhelds, whats the point. Sure console games are generally better and more ambitious, but lugging around a console in public is just going to make you look stupid.
Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yameneko549
...there was no online multiplayer support.vashkey
There WAS, but developers didn't put the effort into actually adding such a thing to their games. There are only three games made with online capabilities: Phantasy Star Online 1&2, Phantasy Star Online III, and Homeland (four if you count the second version of Phantasy Star Online 1&2 as a separate game).
e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
My fav game on GC was Baten Kaitos. Wish it could be ported to PS2 or something I loved that game. Even though I got to the final boss after 50+ hours and couldn't beat it and finally gave up on the game. Still one of my fav RPGs of all time. I am craving to get my hands on a GC again and play some more again lol. Because I'm crazy like that....
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"]...there was no online multiplayer support.Yameneko549
There WAS, but developers didn't put the effort into actually adding such a thing to their games. There are only three games made with online capabilities: Phantasy Star Online 1&2, Phantasy Star Online III, and Homeland (four if you count the second version of Phantasy Star Online 1&2 as a separate game).

It wast the devopers. The Gamecube dropped officially online support pretty quickly. Four games is hardly notable though. Especially since Homeland never left Japan and the rest of those game were envtually ported to the X-box.
fennec_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fennec_fox
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

[QUOTE="Yameneko549"][QUOTE="vashkey"]...there was no online multiplayer support.vashkey

It wast the devopers. The Gamecube dropped officially online support pretty quickly. Four games is hardly notable though. Especially since Homeland never left Japan and the rest of those game were envtually ported to the X-box.

That would be my point - Nintendo, for whatever reason, decided that their customers don't want ANY online gaming, and 3rd party devs were happy to oblige (think all the multiplat titles by EA, Ubi, etc without online support)...

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I like the Gamecube more than N64. I wasn't a fan of that console. Still the Gamecube can't compete with the NES and SNES.
Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Yameneko549

[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="Yameneko549"] There WAS, but developers didn't put the effort into actually adding such a thing to their games. There are only three games made with online capabilities: Phantasy Star Online 1&2, Phantasy Star Online III, and Homeland (four if you count the second version of Phantasy Star Online 1&2 as a separate game).fennec_fox

That would be my point - Nintendo, for whatever reason, decided that their customers don't want ANY online gaming, and 3rd party devs were happy to oblige (think all the multiplat titles by EA, Ubi, etc without online support)...

After my experiences on XBox Live, I don't blame them, but that's beside the point. Maybe Nintendo thought that the online gaming market wasn't ready at the time, or that they as a company weren't ready for online gaming. I mean, I look at my experiences with WFC, and it's laggy and sometimes very hard to get an opponent. They really don't get the whole "online gaming" thing, even today. Just look at the Wii, which really isn't as "online gaming" friendly as the PS2, PS3, XBox, or 360.

Personally, I find it to be a great system for someone like me, who loves single-player games and the occasional local multiplayer match. I guess you could say that the system is great for old-school gamers who don't want to bother with online gaming.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
The Gamecube was my favorite platform last gen. Then again, I could probably say that about every Nintendo console.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vashkey
[QUOTE="Yameneko549"][QUOTE="fennec_fox"]

It wast the devopers. The Gamecube dropped officially online support pretty quickly. Four games is hardly notable though. Especially since Homeland never left Japan and the rest of those game were envtually ported to the X-box.vashkey

After my experiences on XBox Live, I don't blame them, but that's beside the point. Maybe Nintendo thought that the online gaming market wasn't ready at the time, or that they as a company weren't ready for online gaming. I mean, I look at my experiences with WFC, and it's laggy and sometimes very hard to get an opponent. They really don't get the whole "online gaming" thing, even today. Just look at the Wii, which really isn't as "online gaming" friendly as the PS2, PS3, XBox, or 360.

Personally, I find it to be a great system for someone like me, who loves single-player games and the occasional local multiplayer match. I guess you could say that the system is great for old-school gamers who don't want to bother with online gaming.

In that regard, the PS2 was still leauges ahead of it.
Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yameneko549
In that regard, the PS2 was still leauges ahead of it.vashkey
Ehh... I'm not going to take it further. This isn't the place for such a discussion. Best left to System Wars.
Israfel856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Israfel856
Member since 2006 • 2483 Posts
My personal favourite was the Cube but I'll concede that the PS2 was better, with more quality titles and variety then the Cube. Xbox was the worst though.
Ninja_T-Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Ninja_T-Rex
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

Love my Cube with all my RE games.

Still got my original one and will never sell it.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts
Like the N64, with the exception of a few games it's overrated.
jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
My brother had a Gamecube so I got to play Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and I thought both those games were pretty fun. I've been thinking of picking up a used Gamecube, it really does have some interesting games. I'd love to play Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Baiten Kaitos, Super Smash Bros Melee, the Metroid games, and Wind Waker.
prime1alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 prime1alpha
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts

yeah it is an underrated system for sure I got one last year and Im impressed with it the games for it are great.

there is one problem I have with it though and that is the platinum gamecube(which is the one I own) cant use component cables, which sucks for me, because Im playing it on a big screen so it is a little fuzzy with the composite cables, Im looking into buying s-video cables for it, but still.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

The game cube was pretty rubbish IMO

I liked it as a piece of hardware. It was small, powerful, quiet, I even though those little disks were cool - I just don't remember it having that many great games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts
i wouldnt say hugely underrated. it did suffer from long droughts and dire 3rd party support. but when the greats came...they really hit home. pikmin 2 and metroid prime are all time classics in my book and windwaker is also a crackin game. fzeroGX is also the second best arcade racer i have ever played. if u can find a GC and games cheap....and ure not interested in a wii then it is definately worth picking one up. from a hardware perspective, its also the best console ever made for its time imho. hugely efficent, easy to develop for (but hard to master), low cost and built like a tank.
Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

I loved that little purple box. To date the most games ive bought for a system.

Practically indestructable as well - you could throw it down a flight of stairs and it would still be in one piece. Exclusive games made it equal and in some ways better compared to the other two, but if you believed the fanboy drivel at the time, it was rubbish. Funnily enough, the same fanboys say the opposite now in relation to the Wii. They have very short memories.

What I loved about last gen was not just the sheer variety in games, but how all the consoles were so different and good in their own ways. Now its just 360 and PS3 vs, Wii or Hardcore vs, Casual etc. Sony and Microsoft are trying to turn their consoles into mini-PC's, wheras Nintendo are attempting to emulate the PS2's success by targeting a broader audience, except in a slightly different way

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
I think the gamecube was underrated. The system had lots of great games but what made it not stand out was it's lack of 3rd party support. Even though the little purple box was a great system.
Nintend0-BuDDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Nintend0-BuDDy
Member since 2008 • 639 Posts
The Gamecube was my first console and I spent many of my early gaming years ( from the time I was 8 to about 12 ) playing the Cube and loving it soooo much because of the awesome games like Pikmin and Windwaker. I think that by far, the Gamecube will be one of my favorite consoles forever and it also has some of the greatest exclusives ever!. Alright, if you don't have one and you're reading this... used at Gamestop 30$ no excuses go out there now!
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Definately underrated. I still play GC games on my Wii. I had one since 2003 but missed out on a lot of games until the last few year. Wind Waker, Metroid Prime are brilliant games. Symphonia is one of my top 5 games ever.

I love GameCube

daboogeywoogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 daboogeywoogey
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
The gamecube was underrated because the lack of third party support and online. I hope that now third parties see that Wiis are beasting it in sales and now they will put more support on the Wii to make up for the Gamecube. I just want to see someone other than Nintendo to make a great game for the wii.
hellspetrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#41 hellspetrock
Member since 2008 • 516 Posts
My game cube will always be in me heart *sniffles* R.I.P I LOVE you GC
sofaking_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 sofaking_bob
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="prime1alpha"]

yeah it is an underrated system for sure I got one last year and Im impressed with it the games for it are great.

there is one problem I have with it though and that is the platinum gamecube(which is the one I own) cant use component cables, which sucks for me, because Im playing it on a big screen so it is a little fuzzy with the composite cables, Im looking into buying s-video cables for it, but still.

wrong. it has nothing to do with the color of your console, it has everything to do with the fact that nintendo took out the progressive scan compatibility. i've got a platinum one and it's perfectly capable of running in ps... because i got mine before they took it out. but uhh.. yeah. underrated.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

the gamecube itself was a great console. but not many third party games were released. Nintendo games were very good but that it (save for a few like RE4)

thats why it was more worth it to buy a PS2.

Solors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#44 Solors
Member since 2008 • 574 Posts
I suppose it was, had lots of great games.
EquiIibrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EquiIibrium
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

Yep, you see alot of people that are like "the gay purplez box? LOLZ that sucked" but then again I doubt they have even played a GC.

Can't wait to set it up once i'm in my new room, can play Spartan: Total Warrior, Metroid Prime and some Russia With Love multiplayer again. :D

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
If you were an actual GCN player from near the beginning of its birth, and had to deal with the multiple dry seasons, you'd know why it got the flak it did. I will say that it was slightly underrated, though. I did enjoy it a lot last generation, and it did have the majority of the best games in that time.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts
When I had Gamecube, I had 78 games to go with it. It was a good console. It was just the design a "Cube with a handle" Gamecube was an ugly Console. No on-line play. A dumbName. In the end it was an alright videogame machine.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

no, not hugely underrated. a console is only as good as the games it plays. the GC had a lacking library, so it was seen for what it was. Nintendo should have used DVD based games instead of their little discs and they should have used a more conventional controller. Personally I never wanted and still dont want a gc because of the odd things about it.

true the GC may be slightly under-rated by people (like myself) that are turned off by Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda games, but the GC is in no way "hugely underrated". on the other hand the wii is over-rated by a larger margin.

Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Yameneko549

no, not hugely underrated. a console is only as good as the games it plays. the GC had a lacking library, so it was seen for what it was. Nintendo should have used DVD based games instead of their little discs and they should have used a more conventional controller.Talldude80

I'd have to disagree with you there. The GCN may not have as large of a library as the PS2, but it's still quite large. If more 3rd-party developers had been willing to make games for it, even more so with indie devs like GlobalStar, we would have possibly seen a MUCH larger library than we ended up with. True, the use of DVD1 discs was a little limiting, but as I said before, they could have used multiple discs to get around that problem.

Also, what do you mean by "more conventional controller"? The controller is great, and all of the buttons are easy to get to without moving your fingers too much. I have fewer problems using a Cube controller than I do a PS2 or XBox 360 controller. To be honest, I think that can be attributed to the button layout.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#50 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts
wind waker is a reason to own a gamecube