Is that Kane and Lynch game really that bad???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnalogOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 0

#1 AnalogOdyssey
Member since 2007 • 746 Posts
Is it?
Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Arborescence
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Metacritic says meh

I hate to do this, but Gerstmann himself said worth a rent or perhaps picking up not for full price in his video review...

Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
well people are just pissed about jeff but even if that had not happend it would still be a below average game. graphics arent much better than xbox 1 graphics. the story and the characters are meh at best. the online play is only ok to and why the co-op isnt online is beyond me. it's really not worth the 60$. only if it was 30-40$ would it be worth a buy.
Avatar image for Knight_of_Malta
Knight_of_Malta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Knight_of_Malta
Member since 2005 • 4781 Posts
Its not crap, its nothing great either. Mostly pissed off people giving the game 1 point reviews. Kane and Lynch are pretty bad-ass characters though.
gta11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 277

#5 gta11
Member since 2004 • 2663 Posts
I'n gonna buy it...when it drops in price a tad, i mean it looks like an alright game:)
Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arborescence
The "Fragile Alliance" mode, which might as well have been called "Prisoner's Dilemma," is pretty cool looking. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything like that before... I wonder if I can forge/custom games up a map like that on H3?
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
lol user reviews have been disabled on it now
VilgeDuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 VilgeDuin
Member since 2004 • 424 Posts

Oh my... Actual objective statements toward Kane & Lynch... I think I just walked into limbo...

Kane & Lynch is a pretty entertaining and fun game. If I had to arbirtrarily give it a score I'd place it in the 7-7.5 range going by Gamespot's standards. It's effectively Freedom Fighters 2. There are indeed better games out there, but it is in no way the gargabe that a lot of people are perpetuating out of some blind loyalty to a guy recently fired (which in no way has been proven to have anything to do with the game anyways).

Albeit is pretty damn short (my girlfriend and myself got through it in about 6 hours, so it would vary solo I assume) and both endings rather disappointing in their brevity.

The "Fragile Alliance" mode, which might as well have been called "Prisoner's Dilemma," is pretty cool looking. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything like that before... I wonder if I can forge/custom games up a map like that on H3?Arborescence

Ugh... Fragile Alliance could have been so incredibly better it's actually sad how limited the mode is. Aside from idiotic infrastructure issues (ask anyone what it's like to get a connection error..) it just lacks depth. And a lot of people who played it kind of didn't get the idea behind it... If there was anything to critixize the game for it's the inept way the multi-player was tossed in.

/But oh, what could have been.

snake670670670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 snake670670670
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

the single player brings nothing new to the genre, its boring, the premis for the story is good the execution is bad, very bad. the game looks like its been upscaled from the PS2. I feels unfinished. The multiplayer is an interesting idea but yet again, really poor execution. when i played ppl would always stab you in the back so it was like deathmatch every time.

The game isn't good.thats my opinion. i'd give it a... 6.0

ryanstoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 ryanstoy91
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
The game is nothing bad, but it's nothing special either. Seriously though, this is the first time I've seen Kane and Lynch mentioned and not bring up any Gamespot hate speech, so I'm glad for that.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

The gameplay seems really thrown in, as if no time was spent on it. There's like no variety to the gameplay, it's linear as hell and it just isn't fun to actually play the game. The graphics don't look too hot either. Oh and the dialogue is downright annoying.

I'd say it falls short of being worth a rent.

5.5 IMHO

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

Is it?AnalogOdyssey

Yes.

Controls: Poor

Characters: Unlikeable

Story: Meh

Game scenarios: Poor

Playability: Poor

Voice-work: Average

Graphics: Average

I thought 6/10 was kind.

Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arborescence

[QUOTE="Arborescence"]The "Fragile Alliance" mode, which might as well have been called "Prisoner's Dilemma," is pretty cool looking. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything like that before... I wonder if I can forge/custom games up a map like that on H3?VilgeDuin

Ugh... Fragile Alliance could have been so incredibly better it's actually sad how limited the mode is. Aside from idiotic infrastructure issues (ask anyone what it's like to get a connection error..) it just lacks depth. And a lot of people who played it kind of didn't get the idea behind it... If there was anything to critixize the game for it's the inept way the multi-player was tossed in.

/But oh, what could have been.

Yeah dude, I was talking about theoretics, I heard the idea and found it was interesting. I've never played the game so I don't know how it was carried out (although jeff seemed to think it was pretty poor :P)

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EvilTaru

The gameplay seems really thrown in, as if no time was spent on it. There's like no variety to the gameplay, it's linear as hell and it just isn't fun to actually play the game. The graphics don't look too hot either. Oh and the dialogue is downright annoying.

I'd say it falls short of being worth a rent.

5.5 IMHO

-Unreal-

The problem is that there's a lot of shooting in the game, and moving around, aiming and shooting is just so damn poor.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

To put it bluntly the game lacks identity, its a cluster-f*** of ideas that don't even feel like there put together properly, thats not to say the idea for the game itself was bad cause it would have be great if it was executed properly and done right but like I said the game is just a cluster-f*** of things that just don't mesh together to form even a good game.

Jeff review is unfortunately right on the mark, its just a pity that he got fired over an honest review basically.

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

I can't say it personally, but my friend really likes it.

It's one of those average games I guess...You may love it, you make like it, you may hate it.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

yes, it's been getting mediocre reviews everywhere. do you know how bad gamespot would look if they fired somebody for giving it the review it deserves in spite of its ads being plastered all over the site? oops, too late!

gs would have actually looked a lot worse if gerstman had inflated the score in opposition to what all the other sites/mags are saying?

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

what did gerstman do wrong?

duffman0hy3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 duffman0hy3a
Member since 2005 • 86 Posts
Lets just say its like having your lower lip pulled over the top of your head
gear60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 gear60
Member since 2005 • 96 Posts

Oh my... Actual objective statements toward Kane & Lynch... I think I just walked into limbo...

Kane & Lynch is a pretty entertaining and fun game. If I had to arbirtrarily give it a score I'd place it in the 7-7.5 range going by Gamespot's standards. It's effectively Freedom Fighters 2. There are indeed better games out there, but it is in no way the gargabe that a lot of people are perpetuating out of some blind loyalty to a guy recently fired (which in no way has been proven to have anything to do with the game anyways).

VilgeDuin

Thanks. That's basically what I'm trying to say. I loved the first Freedom Fighters and assumed if they used basically the same stuff it would be similar with Kane and Lynch and that's what it is. A decent squad based shooter.

Avatar image for leowebmonkey200
leowebmonkey200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 leowebmonkey200
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
kane and lynch is actually one of the best games i have ever played.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts
 what did gerstman do wrong?UT_Wrestler

Well, he did give it one of the lowest reviews of any website...

Anyway, weren't people saying that he had underrated it when his review first came out? I remember a few threads saying that the game wasn't actually that bad - but everyone seems to have adopted Jeff's view and saying that it isn't worth playing...

I guess that I'll have to play it and find out.

mYslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 mYslead
Member since 2003 • 539 Posts

the first half of the game is pretty fun, the second half is absolute garbage.

6.75 / 10.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
For me is bad since I don't like third person shooter
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Played this a bit this Friday. It's actually fun so far, if you like swearing and macho posturing. The action is good, but there are some technical problems that make it feel like it was rushed. Collision is attrocious at times, but the scenery is very nice.
nathak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nathak2
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Yes is bad, and It's worst when gamespot sell off your their editorial integrity. This is my last time in gamespot and CNET should look out also.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EvilTaru
[QUOTE="VilgeDuin"]

gear60

Thanks. That's basically what I'm trying to say. I loved the first Freedom Fighters and assumed if they used basically the same stuff it would be similar with Kane and Lynch and that's what it is. A decent squad based shooter.

The squad AI is ATROCIOUS, the game doesn't even have decent controls whether it's precision aiming, cover or basic movements, everything felt clunky. I'm not sure what some people are measuring this game against, if you've played anygood action game this year K&L would be unplayable.

Technonerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Technonerd
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
The developer should have spend more time on it, could have been better.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

I hear it's really the story that keeps the game alive, the gameplay is just "eh..w/e"

The multiplayer sounds really fun too. With CoD4 and Halo 3 taking all the online shooter players though, it's not gonna be very populated. It's also not worth 60 dollars...hell...no game is worth 60 dollars, the most I'll pay is 50, and the few extra bucks on tax.

Now that gertsman was fired though, everyone's giving it a 1, so now the user score is like 2.6 or something lol. People aren't even allowed to review it because it's just people ranting about jeff.

.....Remember though, if you don't like Kane and Lynch then Eidos will make you loose your job. JK.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I've watched the video review several times, and have even uploaded it as a user video. It doesn't sound very good.

Even if I completely ignore Jeff and look at the video footage presented, I'm not impressed. Still, It doesn't look like complete trash, so you may want to rent it and try it out.

Brmarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Brmarlin
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
Its a love it or hate it game. Personally, I really like it.