I'm looking for news on a sequel-

This topic is locked from further discussion.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is one of my favorite games of the generation and is the only VS multiplayer game I play. Recently I've been hearing rumors about a sequel, but the only information I could turn up was 1. plans for a sequel were looking shaky because Space Marine only sold moderately well and THQ was working on an MMo, and 2. months later the MMO was cancelled, but the resources compiled were going to be reallocated to another project(possibly Space Marine 2). If anyone has any links to post or any news or rumors to relate, please do so.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I think the fate of the 40.000 franchise depends on if and who will buy the asset at the Jan 22 THQ auction
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 El_Zo1212o
I think the fate of the 40.000 franchise depends on if and who will buy the asset at the Jan 22 THQ auctionBlack_Knight_00
Auction? I heard that THQ was restructuring and that there wouldn't be any need for their closure or forced selling of their assets.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think the fate of the 40.000 franchise depends on if and who will buy the asset at the Jan 22 THQ auctionEl_Zo1212o
Auction? I heard that THQ was restructuring and that there wouldn't be any need for their closure or forced selling of their assets.

No, they filed for bankruptcy and all the assets will be actioned off on Jan 22. Among the interested parties are Ubisoft, EA and even Tim Schafer's Double Fine http://www.gamespot.com/news/double-fine-interested-in-thq-assets-6402301

Which is actually good news, since they have some good franchises and seeing them in more competent hands would be nice. This excludes EA, of course.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think the fate of the 40.000 franchise depends on if and who will buy the asset at the Jan 22 THQ auctionBlack_Knight_00

No, they filed for bankruptcy and all the assets will be actioned off on Jan 22. Among the interested parties are Ubisoft, EA and even Tim Schafer's Double Fine http://www.gamespot.com/news/double-fine-interested-in-thq-assets-6402301

Which is actually good news, since they have some good franchises and seeing them in more competent hands would be nice. This excludes EA, of course.

I see- according to the article you linked the deal with Clearlake Capital was shot down. Jesus... Ubi, EA and Doublefine? Tim Schaefer can make all the supposedly great games he likes, but he can't turn a buck to save his life. EA is the root of all Evil. And Ubisoft is quickly declining in my regard first with their DRMs and then adding the free-to-play model in a god damn retail game.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Auction? I heard that THQ was restructuring and that there wouldn't be any need for their closure or forced selling of their assets.El_Zo1212o

I see- according to the article you linked the deal with Clearlake Capital was shot down. Jesus... Ubi, EA and Doublefine? Tim Schaefer can make all the supposedly great games he likes, but he can't turn a buck to save his life. EA is the root of all Evil. And Ubisoft is quickly declining in my regard first with their DRMs and then adding the free-to-play model in a god damn retail game.

Double Fine's interest is surprising, both in terms of money (they have none) and assets (which THQ property could they possibly be interested in?). EA is bad news wherever they go, they can ruin anything they touch. Ubisoft on the other hand... sure they had some missteps with DRM, but they fixed the issue at their own loss when fans protested. I really hope Ubisoft picks up all the best THQ franchises, namely Saints Row, Warhammer, Red Faction and Darksiders.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] No, they filed for bankruptcy and all the assets will be actioned off on Jan 22. Among the interested parties are Ubisoft, EA and even Tim Schafer's Double Fine http://www.gamespot.com/news/double-fine-interested-in-thq-assets-6402301

Black_Knight_00

Double Fine's interest is surprising, both in terms of money (they have none) and assets (which THQ property could they possibly be interested in?). EA is bad news wherever they go, they can ruin anything they touch. Ubisoft on the other hand... sure they had some missteps with DRM, but they fixed the issue at their own loss when fans protested. I really hope Ubisoft picks up all the best THQ franchises, namely Saints Row, Warhammer, Red Faction and Darksiders.

Apparently(if I read the article correctly) Doublefine is interested in some publishing rights to a couple of their XBLA releases. I could see Ubi making a real go of Red Faction- get rid of the Mars setting and have huge cityscapes as destructible as the structures in RF: G. I'm hoping whoever acquires Relic will take the 40K rights as well. And please don't let it be EA. They'll do nothing with any studios they acquire and then close them after three years.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I see- according to the article you linked the deal with Clearlake Capital was shot down. Jesus... Ubi, EA and Doublefine? Tim Schaefer can make all the supposedly great games he likes, but he can't turn a buck to save his life. EA is the root of all Evil. And Ubisoft is quickly declining in my regard first with their DRMs and then adding the free-to-play model in a god damn retail game.

Apparently(if I read the article correctly) Doublefine is interested in some publishing rights to a couple of their XBLA releases. I could see Ubi making a real go of Red Faction- get rid of the Mars setting and have huge cityscapes as destructible as the structures in RF: G. I'm hoping whoever acquires Relic will take the 40K rights as well. And please don't let it be EA. They'll do nothing with any studios they acquire and then close them after three years.

Yeah, anything but EA, really. There's no end to the list of studios/companies they destroyed
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Double Fine's interest is surprising, both in terms of money (they have none) and assets (which THQ property could they possibly be interested in?). EA is bad news wherever they go, they can ruin anything they touch. Ubisoft on the other hand... sure they had some missteps with DRM, but they fixed the issue at their own loss when fans protested. I really hope Ubisoft picks up all the best THQ franchises, namely Saints Row, Warhammer, Red Faction and Darksiders.

Yeah, anything but EA, really. There's no end to the list of studios/companies they destroyed

There's only one studio I care about. R.I.P Pandemic Studios. Rot in Hell, EA.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Apparently(if I read the article correctly) Doublefine is interested in some publishing rights to a couple of their XBLA releases. I could see Ubi making a real go of Red Faction- get rid of the Mars setting and have huge cityscapes as destructible as the structures in RF: G. I'm hoping whoever acquires Relic will take the 40K rights as well. And please don't let it be EA. They'll do nothing with any studios they acquire and then close them after three years.

There's only one studio I care about. R.I.P Pandemic Studios. Rot in Hell, EA.

R.I.P. Bioware, R.I.P. Crytek
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

This is just an EA hate thread in disguise, isn't it Zo1212o :) You lured us in with a harmless sounding topic and then bang - safeties off. Very sneaky.

On topic, I too thoroughly enjoy the xenos-stomping action of Space Marine and have been replaying it a lot recently. Not holding my breath for a sequel though (even though the ending cries out for one). Do you play on the 360 or PS3?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00

This is just an EA hate thread in disguise, isn't it Zo1212o :) You lured us in with a harmless sounding topic and then bang - safeties off. Very sneaky.

On topic, I too thoroughly enjoy the xenos-stomping action of Space Marine and have been replaying it a lot recently. Not holding my breath for a sequel though (even though the ending cries out for one). Do you play on the 360 or PS3?

Business_Fun
Any thread where you so much as mention EA ends up being an EA hate thread. It's kind of unavoidable, really. Hitler's mustache might have been stylish, but that's not what you'd mention first when talking about him, if you get my meaning.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I enjoyed the hell out of Space Marine as well. Don't know about a sequel but I did read, like you mentioned, that the Warhammer 40K MMO Dark Millenium Online was restructured to be single player only. I guess Space Marine 2 could come from that.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

If there's any game that's filled with limitless potential and the need for a sequel and broader audience, it's Space Marine. If no publisher realizes this, there may be no hope for gaming after all :P

Let us all pray that EA doesn't aquire it, however.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Zo1212o

Business_Fun
I was under the impression that THQ would survive on their own, so if there's blame for this devolving into a hate thread, blame Black Knight;). I never really thought that the ending particularly warranted a direct sequel. The 40K universe seems to be a particularly grim place, so if the ending were left as is and a sequel were to pick up with a new protagonist, a new chapter, or even a new race, it would have seemed perfectly fitting. 360, by the way. And I've got Exterminatus, Dreadnought Assault, and Chaos Unleashed.
Hitler's mustache might have been stylish, but that's not what you'd mention first when talking about him, if you get my meaning.Black_Knight_00
Awesome. Best quote ever.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
EA brings the hate on themselves by buying up studios and then closing them making all their fans upset and angry.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

360, by the way. And I've got Exterminatus, Dreadnought Assault, and Chaos Unleashed.El_Zo1212o

Ah, shame. If you were playing on the PS3 I would suggest we team up and smite the enemies of man together (although as far as DLC goes I only have the free Exterminatus package).

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]360, by the way. And I've got Exterminatus, Dreadnought Assault, and Chaos Unleashed.Business_Fun

Ah, shame. If you were playing on the PS3 I would suggest we team up and smite the enemies of man together (although as far as DLC goes I only have the free Exterminatus package).

Bummer. The biggest problem I have with the game is that every time I play it, I wish I had an action figure of my MP character. Totally badass.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I got this game, not too long ago, and it's enjoyable for what it is. Simple, mindless fun at just killing orcs, over and over again. I started work on the campaign on the easiest difficulty level. I hope to have it wrapped up soon.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 El_Zo1212o

I got this game, not too long ago, and it's enjoyable for what it is. Simple, mindless fun at just killing orcs, over and over again. I started work on the campaign on the easiest difficulty level. I hope to have it wrapped up soon.

Metamania
I didn't know you had Space Marine. Hit me up next time you're on and we'll catch a game of Exterminatus.