IGN poses the question: Should 360/PC versions of Skyrim be penalized for GOTY?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts

You guys are grasping at straws with the 360 file nonsense.

I have a massive game running right now and it hasn't slowed down a hitch. So do millions of other 360 gamers whou bought it.

Show me some video evidence like I've seen with the PS3.

abonsabo

Go tell Dracula 68 in the official Skyrim thread that the 360 has no long term play issues. It may take longer to get them on the 360, but that platform does have it. For reasons already highlighted, the PS3 version just shows these issues much sooner.
The problem, while particular to the game's complexity and duration, may be rooted in memory management, according to pixel counting pros Digital Foundry. "The bottom line is that Skyrim is an unbounded game world running on a space-constricted system - and this applies regardless of the platform you play it on, hence reports of the PC version running out of address space and displaying solid colours instead of textures," says Tom Morgan. "The PlayStation 3 is unfortunate in that it's the platform with the most oppressive RAM issues (in addition to the split-pool set-up of the memory, the OS has a larger footprint than its 360 equivalent) so it makes sense that it has the most noticeable issues."Joystiq

I know you think everything is black and white, and everyone is all for against just one console or platform, but you get that kind of thinking from hanging out in System Wars. Spend less time there, and make less baseless assumptions about supposed shifty motives people have for posting this or that thing.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#52 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
This thread makes my head hurt. Anyone from system wars needs to go back there. dvader654
lol My take is that no, it shouldn't cost it GOTY if it's that good, just don't include that system when you list what system the game is getting awarded for...plain and simple. It's also funny that IGN seems upset from this news and then still has a high rating for the PS3 version. The gaming press is a bunch crooks. Keep kissing Bethesda's ass so you can get early news and your site gets hits. it's what a journalist with a strong work ethic would do.
abonsabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 abonsabo
Member since 2011 • 475 Posts

[QUOTE="abonsabo"]You guys are grasping at straws with the 360 file nonsense.

I have a massive game running right now and it hasn't slowed down a hitch. So do millions of other 360 gamers whou bought it.

RandoIph

Go tell Dracula 68 in the official Skyrim thread that the 360 has no long term play issues. It may take longer to get them on the 360, but that platform does have it. For reasons already highlighted, the PS3 version just shows these issues much sooner.
The problem, while particular to the game's complexity and duration, may be rooted in memory management, according to pixel counting pros Digital Foundry. "The bottom line is that Skyrim is an unbounded game world running on a space-constricted system - and this applies regardless of the platform you play it on, hence reports of the PC version running out of address space and displaying solid colours instead of textures," says Tom Morgan. "The PlayStation 3 is unfortunate in that it's the platform with the most oppressive RAM issues (in addition to the split-pool set-up of the memory, the OS has a larger footprint than its 360 equivalent) so it makes sense that it has the most noticeable issues."Joystiq

I know you think everything is black and white, and everyone is all for against just one console or platform, but you get that kind of thinking from hanging out in System Wars. Spend less time there, and make less baseless assumptions about supposed shifty motives people have for posting this or that thing.

I've seen a ton of video evidence and Bethesda comments regarding the PS3 version.

I'd like to take Dracula on his word but I don't know him. I'd love to see some videos posted proving this.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Yes, this has gotten pretty bad. Its actually inexcusable. If they couldnt release a playable version of the game on Playstation 3, it shouldn't have made it to shelves. Completely unfair to Playstation 3 owners. I've experienced technical issues playing about 55 hours of the 360 version that are annoying enough, but nothing game breaking. This also calls to attention the review process the media outlets follow. Cut and pasted scores are completely unfair to the consumer, but convenient for reviewers. Now we're seeing a huge backlash that will hopefully change this nonsense.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]This thread makes my head hurt. Anyone from system wars needs to go back there, wow. Anyway why is everyone shocked that a Bethesda game has bugs? Every game they make has them, the games are just too huge to completely test or they just suck at it, either way this is not new. All their games are still excellent, Skyrim is the same as the rest. dvader654

Bethesda dont have an amazing track record actually. And all their big titles tend to not be made well in terms of bugs.

And they all have won awards and are beloved by gamers everywhere. This game will be no different. Why the crazy reaction? What we should be talking about is how horrible our gaming "press" was in informing us on the issues of the PS3 version and yes Bethesda trying to cover it up is ugly. But really as a PS3 owner who has played all their games on the console, honestly I'm used to this crap. Better this than no game at all.

Really? Bugs are one thing, but if wzhat I'm hearing is true -- game breaking framerate problems -- then no one should make excuses for Bethesda.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#56 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

And they all have won awards and are beloved by gamers everywhere. This game will be no different. Why the crazy reaction? What we should be talking about is how horrible our gaming "press" was in informing us on the issues of the PS3 version and yes Bethesda trying to cover it up is ugly. But really as a PS3 owner who has played all their games on the console, honestly I'm used to this crap. Better this than no game at all.dvader654

I don't know, man... I'd rather have no game than one that's riddled with bugs aplenty. I think they should have just canceled the PS3 version or at least delayed it until they could find a good solution to the memory issues. Releasing the game as is was a terrible idea, and they know it (as evident by them holding back on review copies for that version). Would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if they had done that. Would have helped if the press had actually reviewed that version in full as well. Course, that's probably asking too much given Bethesda's track record and the press' constant incompetence.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#57 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Bethesda dont have an amazing track record actually. And all their big titles tend to not be made well in terms of bugs.

Jbul

And they all have won awards and are beloved by gamers everywhere. This game will be no different. Why the crazy reaction? What we should be talking about is how horrible our gaming "press" was in informing us on the issues of the PS3 version and yes Bethesda trying to cover it up is ugly. But really as a PS3 owner who has played all their games on the console, honestly I'm used to this crap. Better this than no game at all.

Really? Bugs are one thing, but if wzhat I'm hearing is true -- game breaking framerate problems -- then no one should make excuses for Bethesda.

You can only call a good game good if it actually plays when it's supposed to.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]And they all have won awards and are beloved by gamers everywhere. This game will be no different. Why the crazy reaction? What we should be talking about is how horrible our gaming "press" was in informing us on the issues of the PS3 version and yes Bethesda trying to cover it up is ugly. But really as a PS3 owner who has played all their games on the console, honestly I'm used to this crap. Better this than no game at all.c_rake

I don't know, man... I'd rather have no game than one that's riddled with bugs aplenty. I think they should have just canceled the PS3 version or at least delayed it until they could find a good solution to the memory issues. Releasing the game as is was a terrible idea, and they know it (as evident by them holding back on review copies for that version). Would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if they had done that. Would have helped if the press had actually reviewed that version in full as well. Course, that's probably asking too much given Bethesda's track record and the press' constant incompetence.

I'd be frustrated beyond belief if they'd canceled it. I've got 85 hours in the PS3 version and while there was some trouble with the framerate before the patch, it has been smoother sailing for me than either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Honestly, the game is still a GOTY for me and I'm playing the 'worst' version.
abonsabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 abonsabo

UPDATE guys...

PS3 REVIEWS for SKYRIM being TAKEN DOWN from Gamerankings and Metacritic

It's not listed at Gamerankings anymore and only has 12 reviews left at Metacritic.

Looks like the P33 version is going to get a readjusted score.

Gamerankings

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

and Metacritic!

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/index.html

Will Gamepot answer the call?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#60 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I'd be frustrated beyond belief if they'd canceled it. I've got 85 hours in the PS3 version and while there was some trouble with the framerate before the patch, it has been smoother sailing for me than either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Honestly, the game is still a GOTY for me and I'm playing the 'worst' version.rragnaar

So the patch actually fixed the problems, mostly? Hm. Lot of the reports I've been hearing about kept suggesting otherwise. Good to know.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I'd be frustrated beyond belief if they'd canceled it. I've got 85 hours in the PS3 version and while there was some trouble with the framerate before the patch, it has been smoother sailing for me than either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Honestly, the game is still a GOTY for me and I'm playing the 'worst' version.c_rake

So the patch actually fixed the problems, mostly? Hm. Lot of the reports I've been hearing about kept suggesting otherwise. Good to know.

Its just anecdotal, but I've been perfectly happy with it post patch.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

This thread makes my head hurt. Anyone from system wars needs to go back there, wow. Anyway why is everyone shocked that a Bethesda game has bugs? Every game they make has them, the games are just too huge to completely test or they just suck at it, either way this is not new. All their games are still excellent, Skyrim is the same as the rest. dvader654

I don't think anyone is surprised by there being bugs, in fact I think most people were expecting it. However, what many were not anticipating were the bugs of this magnitude. Framerates dropping to near zero after 60 some hours of play? That's more than just a bug, it's a gamebreaking issue.

Skyrim viewed from a gameplay perspective is absolutely fantastic, I won't deny that. Yes Skyrim is a huge game, however, when the technical issues make the game practically unplayable, then it's a problem.

Apparently all the PS3 scores of the game got pulled from Gamerankings and Metacritic. Going to be interesting to see where this goes from here.

abonsabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 abonsabo

[QUOTE="dvader654"]This thread makes my head hurt. Anyone from system wars needs to go back there, wow. Anyway why is everyone shocked that a Bethesda game has bugs? Every game they make has them, the games are just too huge to completely test or they just suck at it, either way this is not new. All their games are still excellent, Skyrim is the same as the rest. Vari3ty

I don't think anyone is surprised by there being bugs, in fact I think most people were expecting it. However, what many were not anticipating were the bugs of this magnitude. Framerates dropping to near zero after 60 some hours of play? That's more than just a bug, it's a gamebreaking issue.

Skyrim viewed from a gameplay perspective is absolutely fantastic, I won't deny that. Yes Skyrim is a huge game, however, when the technical issues make the game practically unplayable, then it's a problem.

Apparently all the PS3 scores of the game got pulled from Gamerankings and Metacritic. Going to be interesting to see where this goes from here.

Yes I had seen that.

I'm think a mass recall of PS3 reviews may be in order.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44620 Posts
Wow. Really? All the PS3 scores got pulled from Gamerankings and Metacritic? Looks like this s*** just got real. It's going to get very interesting seeing what happens next.
abonsabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 abonsabo

Wow. Really? All the PS3 scores got pulled from Gamerankings and Metacritic? Looks like this s*** just got real. It's going to get very interesting seeing what happens next.Archangel3371
Close to all of them. There's only about 10 remaining at this point. There were around 70 before.

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]I tend to agree with your stance

It's a catch 22.

What Bethesda did was low,

but on the same token they still created one of the greatest games ever for the 360 and PC, and that cannot go unmentioned.

abonsabo

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

If the 360 and PC versions are fine, then they deserve the scores they received. if the PS3 version sucked, then they should call it as they see it. Give the PS3 version a low score and put the blame on Bethesda. Why should the other platforms be penalized when the problem is on a different platform? IGN should eat some crow too for not doing separate reviews.

abonsabo

I tend to agree with your stance

It's a catch 22.

What Bethesda did was low,

but on the same token they still created one of the greatest games ever for the 360 and PC, and that cannot go unmentioned.

i agree. the xbox 360 and pc versions of skyrim are the best games of the year and they deserve the award. tat aside i believe bethesda must fix the ps3 version or offer massive compensation to their buyers
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

To be honest i doubt this will do anything to Bethesda, they have been making very buggy games for ages its just a few f them are so damn good it doesn't matter.

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

[QUOTE="RandoIph"]Skyrim was once in the running for GOTY like Gears of War 3, then it took an arrow to the knee.Ilovegames1992

Íf Batman AC doesn't get it, i will cry, for about a month.

imo if skyrim doesnt get it then it will go to dark souls
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#70 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

It should have never been in the running for GOTY, IMO.

No Bethesda game should ever be imo. I have yet to play a game of theirs that displayed quality control. Fallout 3 towards the end was almost unplayable with the freezing yet Bethesda always seem to get away with it. Not this time I hope.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Wow. Really? All the PS3 scores got pulled from Gamerankings and Metacritic? Looks like this s*** just got real. It's going to get very interesting seeing what happens next.Archangel3371
Dracula bringing the hammer of God(Mike Wallace). :P

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#72 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="RandoIph"]Yes it should, because despite how much it is not being reported, the 360 version can and does suffer from the same show stopping problems with larger save files. Yet this is ignored. Both console versions were released far too early, in an unfinished state. Fact.abonsabo

It's technically an issue with each version of the game due to memory problems. The PS3 has the first issues because of the divided memory, then the 360, and the PC varies user to user although more RAM is more likely with modern PCs so that it won't be quite as big of an issue.

Still, it's an issue that shouldn't exist at all. Bethesda really dropped the ball with this one.

You guys are grasping at straws with the 360 file nonsense.

This isn't System Wars, no need to get so defensive. I wasn't attacking the 360 version, just reporting what I've read from various articles and forums across the interwebs. Is it just a bunch of people lying? Could be. But there have been a lot of people reporting the issues that I respect, so I chose to believe them.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#73 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I bet the reviewers are mad as hell - now they're actually going to have to play the PS3 version for 100 hours and write a legitimate review of it. Their workload for the next month just doubled.

I don't know what to say - Oblivion was crap at launch, Fallout 3 was crap at launch, New Vegas was unplayable at launch, yet vast numbers of people still run out and buy Skyrim at launch. Hell they even declared it Game of the Year six months before it was released.

Complain on the internet all you want, but as long as you keep giving Bethesda your money, they'll keep laughing all the way to the bank.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#74 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I bet the reviewers are mad as hell - now they're actually going to have to play the PS3 version for 100 hours and write a legitimate review of it. Their workload for the next month just doubled.

I don't know what to say - Oblivion was crap at launch, Fallout 3 was crap at launch, New Vegas was unplayable at launch, yet vast numbers of people still run out and buy Skyrim at launch. Hell they even declared it Game of the Year six months before it was released.

Complain on the internet all you want, but as long as you keep giving Bethesda your money, they'll keep laughing all the way to the bank.

Jackc8

At least Gamespot reported that New Vegas ran like crap upon launch, and then updated their review that a patch fixed it.

Skyrim was reported to run fine by several publications. When I bought it, that held true. Then 50 hours in and I simply can't play it anymore. Hopefully this'll be a lesson to everyone involved, even the consumer.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

so just cos of one platform?

the way i see it is GOTY should be judged on the best version of any game

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
Bethesda must have known about such an obvious problem. They should have delayed the game on the PS3 and tried to fix the issues, and if they were unfixable on the engine(due to the way it interacts with the hardware) then they should not have released it on the PS3.
porlino87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#77 porlino87
Member since 2011 • 35 Posts

they were given 360 versions to review, no ps3 versions. They said it themselves....

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Even with all the *****ing I have done on these very forums about glitches, bugs and freezing my system up it is still GOTY material for me.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I'm not really surprised by any of this. I have always come under the impression that games of Bethesda's magnitude are going to have some issues. Perhaps my expectations are low to begin with. However, I have never had any major problems with any of their games. I've played Oblivion, Fallout and New Vegas with little to no hang ups. Sure, I get the occasional freeze but that's why you save often.I even got a freeze last night playing Skyrim but it wasn't anything to be all up in arms about.

I wouldn't doubt that people are having some issues but there is so much hyperbole to sift through that it is difficult to tell the real situations from the exaggerated ones making it a challenge to really gauge how many people's games are being effected.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#80 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Even with all the *****ing I have done on these very forums about glitches, bugs and freezing my system up it is still GOTY material for me.Dracula68
you sure you're not smoking something?
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 branketra
Even with all the *****ing I have done on these very forums about glitches, bugs and freezing my system up it is still GOTY material for me.Dracula68
It's a pretty awesome game, when it works. More often than not, it does.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

you sure you're not smoking something?Allicrombie

Do you hear me knocking on your door?

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Bethesda has pretty much lost all my respect as to how they handled New Vegas and Fallout 3 freeze problems for Windows 7, pretty much I have Fallout 3 GOTY on my shelf laughing at me because it refuses to work more than 15 minutes on my PC before it freezes, I've tried ever fix described on the net and nothing solves the issue and seeing that there is no official patch to solve the Windows 7 incompatibility, I've pretty much given up hope of ever playing the game. I serves me right for blindly buying a game from a company that doesn't release demos of its games, it may mean little to them but I'm not buying any Bethesda game in the future unless there is a demo available for download that goes with it.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#84 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70527 Posts

Skyrim is a one of kind type of game. There is no other game (as far as I know) that offers the type of gameplay its known for. Yes it has bugs and glitches but, it is excusable to some extent and this mainly due to the nature of the game itself. Its a stupendously large open world with many interconnecting attributes. Keeping track of all of these entities and making it bug free is very impractical. If the game suck on the PS3 as some claim then it should not be a contender for that system ONLY, this not quantum physics and should not even be pondered.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 AzelKosMos

Skyrim is a one of kind type of game. There is no other game (as far as I know) that offers the type of gameplay its known for. Yes it has bugs and glitches but, it is excusable to some extent >Pedro

I stopped reading here. No it isn't. They have a product for sale at full retail price, it should work. They shouldn't get a free pass because it's got different style, gameplay or is bigger or whatever. Good for them, they are trying to stand out and push boundaries but it is their job to solve these issues before they release the game, otherwise they shouldn't bite off more then they can chew. Bethesda keep getting away with releasing low quality titles from a technical, glitch, bug perspective and it's about time they got bitten for it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Pedro

I stopped reading here. No it isn't. They have a product for sale at full retail price, it should work. They shouldn't get a free pass because it's got different style, gameplay or is bigger or whatever. Good for them, they are trying to stand out and push boundaries but it is their job to solve these issues before they release the game, otherwise they shouldn't bite off more then they can chew. Bethesda keep getting away with releasing low quality titles from a technical, glitch, bug perspective and it's about time they got bitten for it.

AzelKosMos

Is there any other game like this that is bug free?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#87 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

Skyrim is a one of kind type of game. There is no other game (as far as I know) that offers the type of gameplay its known for. Yes it has bugs and glitches but, it is excusable to some extent >AzelKosMos

Yup. Anyone can make a game with a million things to do, but you have to also make sure it actually runs. Crysis 2 came out on consoles and everyone boosted about the amazing graphics, but the game ran at sub 20 frames per second the moment you fired a gun. What good is a best looking game when it runs like s***?

That said, I agree with Pedro that other 'working' versions of Skyrim should be penalized for the PS3 version's shortcomings.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#88 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

IMO, the issue goes deeper than just giving GOTY to the other versions of Skyrim. Bethesda cheated gamers out of their money, and did not give any review copies of the PS3 version to the media, because they knew what would happen. The 360 and PC versions are basically their shields from consumer backlash and negative reviews. I don't think they're deserving of any GOTY awards, for whatever good it does. If they don't get some kind of message, they won't step their game up (no pun intended).

Bottom line is, they knew they ****** up, but did nothing about it. And the response is to reward them?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 branketra

IMO, the issue goes deeper than just giving GOTY to the other versions of Skyrim. Bethesda cheated gamers out of their money, and did not give any review copies of the PS3 version to the media, because they knew what would happen. The 360 and PC versions are basically their shields from consumer backlash and negative reviews. I don't think they're deserving of any GOTY awards, for whatever good it does. If they don't get some kind of message, they won't step their game up (no pun intended).

Bottom line is, they knew they ****** up, but did nothing about it. And the response is to reward them?

King9999
It looks that way.
svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#90 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Ive got 50 hours on my save file, and over 7MB in size and have yet to have a single lag problem other than an occasional loading hitch and a couple freezes.

Im wondering if this is as widespread a problem as people think or if the few that are having problems just being very very vocal about it.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I think this idea is ridiculous. Keep the politics between game journalism and game development/publication out of my GOTY awards. I read reviews/look in to awards to be well informed. If Skyrim is the best game of the year, I want to know that. I'm not interested in sending a message, because I don't care about that and I wouldn't think many gamers/consumers do either. I understand the sentiment for sure, and game journalists should go ahead and write editorials blasting the developers for this fiasco. Give the PS3 version a low score. But I don't want to be less informed because someone wanted to send someone a message.

Awards and review scores are not for developers, they do not reward them. They are for consumers to better inform them.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Being a PS3 owner, I am not happy about the problems the PS3 version of Skyrim is experiencing. The slowdown is very noticeable and at times renders the game unplayable. It started with me about 25 hours into the game, it got so bad I just deleted my save game file and stopped playing. I will wait until this problem has been fixed, otherwise, its worthless to invest anytime into the game.

As far as the GOTY award goes, if the award is not console specific, then it should be penalized. A series of bugs or glitches in one console version of the game that render a game unplayable is a representation of that game across the board.

I usually hold off on open world type games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc because the usually have a bunch of bugs that get worked out in the first few months, and its just better to experience a game start to finish without thesse bugs. I have been waiting for Skyrim for a long time, and bought it on release day. I was having a blast until I ran into these bugs.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#93 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Oh, what to do...what to do? I was pondering about the question yesterday and I fell into a rut. Should Skyrim be taken off of the ballet for GOTY on all sites? On one hand the game (when working) seems like a superb gamel terrific freedom, scoring musical numbers, fun and varied gameplay, lots of content, and just an extremely well made game with a few bugs and glitches that can be bothersome. On the other hand, because of this PS3 frustration and game breaking pretty much it has become the broken version of the game and when you give a game the GOTY award you say that all versions of the game get GOTY....including the PS3 version. So what do we do? :?

Pull Skyrim off the ballet because we should NOT give a broken game GOTY, or should we leave it on for its PC and Xbox-360 counterpart? I want to keep Skyrim on because it seems like such a great game but these gamebreaking glitches are serious buisness and we can't simply lay down a golden GOTY award to a busted broken game on one version. Dang it...why Bethesda? Why do you make this so hard! :cry:

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AzelKosMos

Ive got 50 hours on my save file, and over 7MB in size and have yet to have a single lag problem other than an occasional loading hitch and a couple freezes.

Im wondering if this is as widespread a problem as people think or if the few that are having problems just being very very vocal about it.

svaubel
I read it was as high as 36% best guess. It doesn't effect everyone and I don't know the PS3 sales figures but that is still a fair amount of people if accurate.

[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]I stopped reading here. No it isn't. They have a product for sale at full retail price, it should work. They shouldn't get a free pass because it's got different style, gameplay or is bigger or whatever. Good for them, they are trying to stand out and push boundaries but it is their job to solve these issues before they release the game, otherwise they shouldn't bite off more then they can chew. Bethesda keep getting away with releasing low quality titles from a technical, glitch, bug perspective and it's about time they got bitten for it.

Pedro

Is there any other game like this that is bug free?

I'm not sure where you are going with this question but it doesn't change the simple fact that NO developer should release a game they knew had severe issues, in this case, game breaking, to the general public. While the 360/PC versions may very well run mostly fine so I hear and in theory should still be up for the GOTY it would be a bitter pill to swallow for many fans if it actually did imo.
grassotall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 grassotall
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts
Sure its one of the best games ever
Maximus_Fett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Maximus_Fett
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

If the 360 and PC versions are fine, then they deserve the scores they received. if the PS3 version sucked, then they should call it as they see it. Give the PS3 version a low score and put the blame on Bethesda. Why should the other platforms be penalized when the problem is on a different platform? IGN should eat some crow too for giving the PS3 version high marks.

jun_aka_pekto

Well, because Skyrim is a cross-platform game, so it should be judged cross-platform, quite simple. If one version is terrible and the other two are okay and the problem is down to bethesda then you should hinder bethesda and lower the average of the game! And Sony shouldn't be hindered beucase the PS3 is a constant in the whole equation, your hardware doesn't just suddenly change in a PS3, and bethesda knew that and should have programmed the game correctly, or just not released it on PS3.

Maximus_Fett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Maximus_Fett
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

I'm sure this would also come under the Buyer's rights or the Sales Act or some sort of other legislation. Basically the legislation says that you can't sell a faulty product (which is obviously unanimously considered to be fair) or a product that is decietful to the buyer, i.e. you cant sell an empty amplifier as an amplifier - you can sell it as an empty amplifier though - if you follow....

So, I think this is being both decietful to the PS3 consumers because Bethesda must have known about these issues OR it is selling a faulty product which is also illegal!

Bethesda should, most certainly, be punished in some way...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Pedro

I'm sure this would also come under the Buyer's rights or the Sales Act or some sort of other legislation. Basically the legislation says that you can't sell a faulty product (which is obviously unanimously considered to be fair) or a product that is decietful to the buyer, i.e. you cant sell an empty amplifier as an amplifier - you can sell it as an empty amplifier though - if you follow....

So, I think this is being both decietful to the PS3 consumers because Bethesda must have known about these issues OR it is selling a faulty product which is also illegal!

Maximus_Fett

Now that is overly dramatic and Bethesda is definitely not the first to release non optimal software nor would it be the last. And its very unlikely that anything can be done for software companies have been doing this for the past two decades. In fact all software are release with issues, the real problem lies in what is acceptable bugs and what bugs isn't acceptable. In the end the proof lies heavily on the consumer with regards to the game purposely being released faulty.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Thank god I bought the Xbox (/insert trollface.gif)

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Maximus_Fett

I agree, but it would be near impossible to prove Bethesda knew it was faulty when it released. And obviously they are going to deny it outright as well.

This larger save game file freezing/slowdown renders the game unplayable at that point. It actually started for me after logging 25 hours into the game, I started noticing strange slow down. I continued to play through it but by the time I got close to 30 hours it was so bad it was virtually unplayable. I haven't played since, and I don't plan on playing until a real patch is released to fix the problem.