I don't understand what makes classic Crash Bandicoot games so popular.

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Dedede8sandwich
Dedede8sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Dedede8sandwich
Member since 2010 • 44 Posts
Seriously. IN MY OPINION Crash Bandicoot games for PS1 are pretty sucky. They get good rewievs, And player's like them. So i thought they were good, but when i played one, i was disappointed at the plain boring, shallow, road-like levels. So yeah i found it boring. DONT KILL ME!!! I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY MY OPINION!!!!!!! So, what do you think about Crash? Why they are so popular? What do you think makes them good? Tell what you think.
zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
maybe you are too young and i didn't catch on the PSone era and the graphics were too bad for your young eyes, crash bandicoot games were the s**t back then , and crash team racing is still the best cart racing game i have played in my life.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
[QUOTE="Dedede8sandwich"]Seriously. IN MY OPINION Crash Bandicoot games for PS1 are pretty sucky. They get good rewievs, And player's like them. So i thought they were good, but when i played one, i was disappointed at the plain boring, shallow, road-like levels. So yeah i found it boring. DONT KILL ME!!! I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY MY OPINION!!!!!!! So, what do you think about Crash? Why they are so popular? What do you think makes them good? Tell what you think.

Crash was my very first game i played on my playstation and i'm sure for alot of others hence why its so popular but its just a great plat former imo, if you would have played it back in the day when it first came out i'm sure you would have appreciated it more but its all good, to each his own
inFamousLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 inFamousLemon
Member since 2010 • 218 Posts

I love the Crash games! And i started playing on ps2 so they weren't my gen games.

sirlag01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 sirlag01
Member since 2008 • 445 Posts

You probably weren't playing games around then, cause I still on the odd occasion turn on my Psone and play some Crash...and it's just damn fun!

Fiotwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fiotwo
Member since 2005 • 946 Posts
Yea...like pretty much everyone else said.... When it was your first game, or your first console platformer, it holds a special place in your heart
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

It was far from my first game, but Crash 2 was absolutely phenominal.

All the secrets hidden in that game are just awesome! I remember playing through trying to get all those secret gems.

Good times, good times....

Oh and BTW JUMP ON THE BABY POLAR BEAR!!!

Meta33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Meta33
Member since 2005 • 203 Posts

For those born in the early 90's and growing up playing the ps1 Crash Bandicoot was one of the greatest games of its time. I love CB2's bossses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEvoquncPo

And CTR is as stated above still one of the best kart racers around.

SCHN1TZ3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SCHN1TZ3L
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

As far as I'm concerned the old Crash Bandicoots are WAY better then what they've been releasing recently

Meta33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Meta33
Member since 2005 • 203 Posts

As far as I'm concerned the old Crash Bandicoots are WAY better then what they've been releasing recently

SCHN1TZ3L

Agreed. I wish naughty dog still owned the crash rights. Seeing uncharted id be amazed at what they could pull off with crash.

seanehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 seanehawk
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

I played none of the PS1 games when I littler, Still love them anyways. Crash is no exception.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Crash Bandicoot was your classic Action/Adventure 3D platformer. The first title had a lot of variety and the difficulty progressed through the game. I remember seeing it when I was a kid and wanting the game. It was a fun game.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="Dedede8sandwich"]Seriously. IN MY OPINION Crash Bandicoot games for PS1 are pretty sucky. They get good rewievs, And player's like them. So i thought they were good, but when i played one, i was disappointed at the plain boring, shallow, road-like levels. So yeah i found it boring. DONT KILL ME!!! I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY MY OPINION!!!!!!! So, what do you think about Crash? Why they are so popular? What do you think makes them good? Tell what you think.Chris_Williams
Crash was my very first game i played on my playstation and i'm sure for alot of others hence why its so popular but its just a great plat former imo, if you would have played it back in the day when it first came out i'm sure you would have appreciated it more but its all good, to each his own

this^^ it was one of my first ps1 games too! and one of my favorites growing up.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.UT_Wrestler

They played nothing like the 3D mario games. :/

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.hakanakumono

do you mean how he steps on the enemies head to kill them? Because thats the only relation i can find towards mario
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts
maybe you are too young and i didn't catch on the PSone era and the graphics were too bad for your young eyes, crash bandicoot games were the s**t back then , and crash team racing is still the best cart racing game i have played in my life.zidan4000
Correct... For their time, they were it.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UT_Wrestler

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.hakanakumono

In fairness, every 3D platformer is in some way a knockoff of Super Mario 64.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.UT_Wrestler

In fairness, no, they aren't.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Crash Bandicoot was popular because of the platforming. On top of all that - who ever resist a grin like the one that Crash pulls off?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Metamania

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

CarnageHeart

In fariness, some are and some are not. But Super Mario 64 was the game that started 3D platforming as a whole, the game that every other game had to be measured on, until Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 came along and changed it - for the better, of course.

Not asying that 3D platformers are inferior in compairson to the 3D Marios, but some weren't just as good as the others. Even Crash, which turned out to be decent for a long while with the first three until later on.

Silent_Raven92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Silent_Raven92
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

Considering Crash came out only a few months after Mario 64, I think it's unfair to simply rule it off as a clone ~_~

That, and the fact that the levels play out rather differently. Crash Bandicoot focused on linear straight path gameplay whereas Mario 64 promoted exploration within a larger 3D environment. Plus, although Super Mario 64 was one of the first critically acclaimed 3d platformers, it wasn't the first. Off the top of my head comes some game called Alpha Wave, but I'm sure there's more than that.

Anyway, that's beyond the point.

Having played Crash when I was a wee little tike, I'm not exactly sure what was the appeal. The games had good music, there was something satisfying about hearing OOGABOOGA when you power up, and Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped had some great vehicle sections which did a lot for variety and the addition of new moves throughout gameplay really livened the game up.

Hell, they're not perfect, but they were still pretty good 3D platformers at the time, especially for PSONE gamers.

(Although I will admit that I had a massive soft spot for Gex :))

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"] In fairness, every 3D platformer is in some way a knockoff of Super Mario 64.Metamania

In fariness, some are and some are not. But Super Mario 64 was the game that started 3D platforming as a whole, the game that every other game had to be measured on, until Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 came along and changed it - for the better, of course.

Not asying that 3D platformers are inferior in compairson to the 3D Marios, but some weren't just as good as the others. Even Crash, which turned out to be decent for a long while with the first three until later on.

Super Mario 64 was one of the two 3D platformers which made people care about the genre (the other was Tomb Raider, which hit a couple months later) but long before SM64 or TR there was Jumping Flash. Bearing in mind Crash's release date (released a few months after SM64, but it had been unveiled before SM64) and the fact that designwise the two had very, very little in common UT characterizing Crash as a SM64 knockoff was just kind of bizarre.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Except for the fact that Super Mario 64 established almost every basic convention that third-person action games still use to this day.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.UT_Wrestler

Yeah, I would somewhat agree. The very nature of controlling the character in 3D was a standard that Mario 64 set. Imo, with the exception of maybe Galaxy, it is still yet to be topped.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"] In fairness, every 3D platformer is in some way a knockoff of Super Mario 64.UT_Wrestler

Except for the fact that Super Mario 64 established almost every basic convention that third-person action games still use to this day.

Gameplay footage of Crash Bandicoot was shown before SM64 was even announced(though Crash was released a few months after SM64).

Also,as others have noted, the two games don't have much in common in terms of design (Crash is linear, Mario is free-roaming).

Your latest argument that SM64 established almost every basic convention 3rd person action games use is equally weak. Tomb Raider (another game developed alongside SM64 and released in the same window) has had more influence on third person action games (in terms of both level design and gameplay mechanics).

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Gameplay footage of Crash Bandicoot was shown before SM64 was even announced(though Crash was released a few months after SM64).

Also,as others have noted, the two games don't have much in common in terms of design (Crash is linear, Mario is free-roaming).

Your latest argument that SM64 established almost every basic convention 3rd person action games use is equally weak. Tomb Raider (another game developed alongside SM64 and released in the same window) has had more influence on third person action games (in terms of both level design and gameplay mechanics).

Tomb Raider had some of the most terrible controls I've ever had the chance of experiencing. Even back then it was thought to be lacking in this area. The game also auto targeted just about everything, and often times the wrong thing. Don't get me wrong, I was huge fan of the first two TR games, but the design itself was flawed. Mario 64 and Ocarina are the two most influential 3D games ever created.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Yeah it doesn't play like Mario, but I kinda felt it filled the Mario-shaped hole for the PS1 or something. I mean, the first game was okay, but it wasn't an all-time classic or anything like that. The big part of it's success was being on the Playstation and being the best platformer on the system. If it has been released on the Nintendo 64 after Mario had come out, even though they don't play the same, I would doubt we would even be making this thread.

meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

They were great for their time. It's hard for most kids to get into older games, i think, because all they have to compare it to is current gen, and that's a little unfair. These great "classic" games still had content and gameplay, despite their graphics not standing the test of time.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
They were great when they were released and are good platform games, provided difficulty with some humor to it.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.UT_Wrestler
i agree. i played dcrash when i was a little kid. What i didn't know was that mario was sooo much better. I also noticed how similar ape escape is to legend of zelda.
Illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Illumination
Member since 2005 • 2109 Posts

Crash Bandicoot games were never popular back then. Noone I knew who was gaming back then ever played them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart

Crash Bandicoot games were never popular back then. Noone I knew who was gaming back then ever played them.

Illumination77

You must have had an exceedingly small social circle. The original Crash sold 6.8 million copies.

http://gamasutra.com/features/20060804/boutros_06.shtml

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]The old crash games were okay, although they were basically just knockoffs of better 3D mario games.dkdk999
i agree. i played dcrash when i was a little kid. What i didn't know was that mario was sooo much better. I also noticed how similar ape escape is to legend of zelda.

Much of what you say is wrong, but I agree that SM64 is a better, more ambitious game than Crash.

Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

When I first got a PS1 I got the Crash games, and compared to platformers on other systems, thought it was crap!

Boring linear levels, unlikable characters & tedious gameplay. Guess I was measuring it to SM64 and it just didn't hold up too well.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Super Mario 64 was one of the two 3D platformers which made people care about the genre (the other was Tomb Raider, which hit a couple months later) but long before SM64 or TR there was Jumping Flash. Bearing in mind Crash's release date (released a few months after SM64, but it had been unveiled before SM64) and the fact that designwise the two had very, very little in common UT characterizing Crash as a SM64 knockoff was just kind of bizarre.

Even so, Mario was still the one game that everyone had their eyes on. Like some games today (Halo, GTA), unless if it ain't a major franchise, they aren't worth a second look. Only a few games, like Jumping Flash, turned out to be sleeper hits.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Even so, Mario was still the one game that everyone had their eyes on. Like some games today (Halo, GTA), unless if it ain't a major franchise, they aren't worth a second look. Only a few games, like Jumping Flash, turned out to be sleeper hits.

Mario was an old franchise with a large, loyal fanbase, but Tomb Raider was a massive hit despite being original (8 million copies sold across all platforms, or somewhere thereabouts). Shame the developers ran out of ideas after part 2 (part 3 was so bad I parted ways with the franchise).

http://kotaku.com/5224724/tomb-raider-lifetime-sales-show-off-lara-crofts-biggest-hits

_Sketch_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 _Sketch_
Member since 2010 • 189 Posts

Crash Bandicoot sucked, Spyro the Dragon was where it was at.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
People loved it like over 10 yrs ago. Then it was an awesome and fun playing game. Today its definitely dated, but back then, it was awesome.
MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts

I completely agree with this. I think it is just nostalgia. I even had these games as some of my first ever games but the are just so linear with barely any platforming on some stages like the one with wizards and frogs and the underwater levels in warped. Spyro is just a million times better because of the openness and actual platforming. I enjoyed Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash so much more than warped.

You have to remember that these are some of my first games so I had the same experience as you guys with all the nostalgia. I only really enjoyed the rmotorcycle and great wall of china stages. The motorcycle stage didn't even have platforming.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

No, not really. Back when I played platformers when I was all into the PS1, I don't remember any of them resembling Super Mario 64 in any way.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

It's not fair to play old games in the present and judge them, because most people are biased towards them since all the games nowdays look, play and sound so much better. Nowdays Crash is probably pretty lame to most people, but back when it first came out, it was fun as hell, because it was fresh, and had pretty good graphics. Some games I don't even replay nowdays because I'm afraid I'll ruin the good memories I have of them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts
I remember them being cool back in the day, probably more video game nostalgia at this point
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"] Super Mario 64 was one of the two 3D platformers which made people care about the genre (the other was Tomb Raider, which hit a couple months later) but long before SM64 or TR there was Jumping Flash. Bearing in mind Crash's release date (released a few months after SM64, but it had been unveiled before SM64) and the fact that designwise the two had very, very little in common UT characterizing Crash as a SM64 knockoff was just kind of bizarre.CarnageHeart

Mario was an old franchise with a large, loyal fanbase, but Tomb Raider was a massive hit despite being original (8 million copies sold across all platforms, or somewhere thereabouts). Shame the developers ran out of ideas after part 2 (part 3 was so bad I parted ways with the franchise).

I don't know about Tomb Raider being original. To me, it was always a game that played like an action/puzzle game with an Indiana Jones like-character, except female. Is anything original these days? Only a few games ever stood out for being original and that was games that was never done before.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I didn't like how it was like a "road" as you said, but they are decently fun. Spyro was far better imo out of the PS platformers. And of course Mario, Banjo, Donkey Kong and Conker all laughed at their puniness :D
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

I don't know about Tomb Raider being original. To me, it was always a game that played like an action/puzzle game with an Indiana Jones like-character, except female. Is anything original these days? Only a few games ever stood out for being original and that was games that was never done before.

I reckon he means original as in "new IP", not a sequel.
Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Aaaah, playing the Crash Bandicoot games + Crash Bash with my cousin for hours and hours...good times. And who can forget the Ugga Bugga mask! We laughed just about every time he made that sound :lol:

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Borrowing themes from a movie doesn't make a game less original (as the makers of countless movie to game and game to movie adaptations could tell you, what makes a good movie doesn't make a good game and vice versa).
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CarnageHeart
I didn't like how it was like a "road" as you said, but they are decently fun. Spyro was far better imo out of the PS platformers. And of course Mario, Banjo, Donkey Kong and Conker all laughed at their puniness :Dlocopatho
The world was fun to mess around in for a while, but I really hated the collectathon premise of Mario, and I flat out despised the Rare games (all ripoffs of Mario which took the collectathon aspect to ridiculous extremes).
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Borrowing themes from a movie doesn't make a game less original (as the makers of countless movie to game and game to movie adaptations could tell you, what makes a good movie doesn't make a good game and vice versa).

Fair enough. As to the other poster, I suppose the IP is original. But not the game itself.