How Zelda would look like on a true next gen console if the Wii never existed?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I don't know if you guys seen this yet, but some guy made these images on the PC with Garry's mod. It's pretty awesome stuff and it makes you wonder what kind of Zelda game we'd be playing today if the Wii never existed!

http://kotaku.com/5458568/the-2010-zelda-of-your-dreams/gallery/

http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_the_chosen_one_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-08.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_castle_town_stroll_01_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_castle_town_stroll_02_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-07.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_dungeon_exploration_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-01.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_entering_the_lair_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-06.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_fighting_through_the_dungeon_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_hylian_fury_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-05.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_in_her_eyes_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-10.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_is_this_it__by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-04.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_lost_woods_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-09.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_return_to_the_shadow_by_ryu_gi.jpg

http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_me_and_my_shadow_by_ryu_gi.jpg

*Sigh* I wonder when Nintendo will come out with Wii2, upgrade their hardware, so we can play a Zelda game like this someday. :(

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Some of those pics really look cool, but the atmosphere and areas feel more like oblivion than anything from zelda, and thats not where i would want it to go.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

If the Wii didn't exist we would have never gotten another console Zelda game. That kinda ends the discussion right there. The what-ifs are fun and all, but it doesn't really change the reality of Nintendo's direction.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ASK_Story

Some of those pics really look cool, but the atmosphere and areas feel more like oblivion than anything from zelda, and thats not where i would want it to go.

Gohansephiroth
We know it's fake. It's the thought of seeing Zelda in HD with next-gen graphics.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

[QUOTE="Gohansephiroth"]

ASK_Story

We know it's fake. It's the thought of seeing Zelda in HD with next-gen graphics.

oh i know that, i saw them on kotaku. But im not talking about the HD, im talking about how the areas in the fake world look where link is shown in those pictures, other than looking good they dont mesh well or feel like a good representation of zelda IMO, its a cool HD mockup though.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Judging by those screens, a higher definition Twilight Princess with a bad art direction? :P

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
I actually like it a lot.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
We have yet to see how the upcoming Zelda game will look (remember that Twilight Princess was a Gamecube port), so this topic is a little silly. Sure the Wii doesn't do HD, but Metroid Prime 3 looked pretty damn awesome, so I don't see why Zelda Wii won't, either.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i would like to see how nintendo might make zelda look in hd. if i were to point out some things that would likely be different than in those mock-ups, id first point out the blood which would definitely not be in there because nintendo would want a T game and the classic mini freezes upon a successful strike would greatly change the tone of the series in conjunction with blood. the urban architecture is much more round than what the series is known for, though i suppose that might be from the low polygon count which wouldnt be much of an issue in hd. also, nintendo would never feature such a prominant use of the cross.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
I LOVE the second and third picture. Oh well:(.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Wasn't that Darksiders? ;)

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

*Sigh* I wonder when Nintendo will come out with Wii2, upgrade their hardware, so we can play a Zelda game like this someday. :(

ASK_Story

Heres some bad news for you.... Gamestop had a article earlier this month were it said that Nintendo dismissed rumors of planning on coming out with a new console anytime soon. In light of their surge in holiday sales, and other reasons that escape me at the moment, the Pres. of Nintendo made he it clear he had no intentions of coming out with a new console for a while now.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

...and rabid Wii fans say graphics don't mean anything. :lol:

I would love to see a fan-made Ocarina of Time remake for the PC in one of the modern engines. That, and I would love to see Nintendo release an HD capable console and make a game that looks like that.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Thoe do look quite nice, but yeah, many of the enviroments shown aren't really Zelda-ish. Now if we had those visuals with Zelda-ish enviroments, then that'd be something. ;)

cloudmip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cloudmip
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts

Zelda has it's own personal charm, and those pictures are ruining it. The graphics do look great, but still...

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story

'How Zelda would look like on a true next gen console if the Wii never existed?'

-i see you're up to your semi-trolling habits again, 'ASK_STORY'...

where are the mods when it's necessary?

just_nonplussed
Semi-trolling? Don't think so. Look at my sig and my now-playing list? Obviously I love the Wii. And I'm a huge Zelda fan, but even I desire to play a true next-gen Zelda game. These pictures may not capture Nintendo's magic and imagination but they do provide that "what if" or "damn, I wish" tease that eats away at every Zelda fans' hearts of how or what a HD Zelda would look like if it was on a system that's powerful as a 360/PS3. It's just something to think about. No hurt, trolling, or negativity intended.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#18 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

yeah those screenshots are cool but they don't give me the "Zelda" Feel.

Oh yeah...[sarcasm] I just LOVE it when people hate on the Wii! It makes them SO MATURE [/sarcasm]

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

looks pretty good, i miss playing the Zelda games, but im not going to buy a wii to play zelda, if zelda would ever come out on PS3 i would definatly buy it, but that will never happen so oh well

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Is it just me or does Zelda look kind of masculine? I hope next-gen Zelda doesn't pull a Super Mario Bros. where you beat the game to save the princess, and she turns out looking not so much like a princess. Peach for example...

Peach

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#21 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

'How Zelda would look like on a true next gen console if the Wii never existed?'

ASK_Story

Semi-trolling? Don't think so. Look at my sig and my now-playing list? Obviously I love the Wii. And I'm a huge Zelda fan, but even I desire to play a true next-gen Zelda game. These pictures may not capture Nintendo's magic and imagination but they do provide that "what if" or "damn, I wish" tease that eats away at every Zelda fans' hearts of how or what a HD Zelda would look like if it was on a system that's powerful as a 360/PS3. It's just something to think about. No hurt, trolling, or negativity intended.

fair enough. but i think the screens look kind of lame. i wouldn't want to play that. it basically looks like twilight princess, and that was an average zelda experience. it's too detailed. zelda isn't about tiny little real details. it's about the bigger picture. 'true' zelda fans would know this.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

just_nonplussed

fair enough. but i think the screens look kind of lame. i wouldn't want to play that. it basically looks like twilight princess, and that was an average zelda experience. it's too detailed. zelda isn't about tiny little real details. it's about the bigger picture. 'true' zelda fans would know this.

No, not really. Graphics and technology can be a valuable tool for developers. Just think for a minute: what if Nintendo had the power of the PS3 or 360 and imagine what kind of Zelda game they could come up with? Any "true Zelda" fan would wish for this.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Semi-trolling? Don't think so. Look at my sig and my now-playing list? Obviously I love the Wii. And I'm a huge Zelda fan, but even I desire to play a true next-gen Zelda game. These pictures may not capture Nintendo's magic and imagination but they do provide that "what if" or "damn, I wish" tease that eats away at every Zelda fans' hearts of how or what a HD Zelda would look like if it was on a system that's powerful as a 360/PS3. It's just something to think about. No hurt, trolling, or negativity intended.ASK_Story

Eh it's fair enough to say "What could Zelda look like in HD?", but when you use the word "true next gen console" you're definitely goading people into a defense of the Wii, whether or not you intend to do so.

I'm going to ask you to tone that kind of language down a bit. If you had said "on an HD console" insted, this wouldn't have been an issue. It is possible to have a discussion like this without turning it into a console fight.

For that matter just_nonplussed, "true Zelda fan" isn't a good choice of words either. Zelda fans cover the spectrum, just like any other group of series fans out there. There's no pidgeon-holing them.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 just_nonplussed

[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"] Semi-trolling? Don't think so. Look at my sig and my now-playing list? Obviously I love the Wii. And I'm a huge Zelda fan, but even I desire to play a true next-gen Zelda game. These pictures may not capture Nintendo's magic and imagination but they do provide that "what if" or "damn, I wish" tease that eats away at every Zelda fans' hearts of how or what a HD Zelda would look like if it was on a system that's powerful as a 360/PS3. It's just something to think about. No hurt, trolling, or negativity intended.ASK_Story

No, not really. Graphics and technology can be a valuable tool for developers. Just think for a minute: what if Nintendo had the power of the PS3 or 360 and imagine what kind of Zelda game they could come up with? Any "true Zelda" fan would wish for this.

whatever. it's not really a matter of "more power = better gamez!" though. not necessarily.

yx2vy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yx2vy
Member since 2009 • 307 Posts

Well, it'd take forever to develop, but they could make it look incredible. The Wii has about 80% of the Xbox 360's power, and if the 360 has shown me anything, it's that 80% is still incredible.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 just_nonplussed

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]Semi-trolling? Don't think so. Look at my sig and my now-playing list? Obviously I love the Wii. And I'm a huge Zelda fan, but even I desire to play a true next-gen Zelda game. These pictures may not capture Nintendo's magic and imagination but they do provide that "what if" or "damn, I wish" tease that eats away at every Zelda fans' hearts of how or what a HD Zelda would look like if it was on a system that's powerful as a 360/PS3. It's just something to think about. No hurt, trolling, or negativity intended.m0zart

Eh it's fair enough to say "What could Zelda look like in HD?", but when you use the word "true next gen console" you're definitely goading people into a defense of the Wii, whether or not you intend to do so.

I'm going to ask you to tone that kind of language down a bit. If you had said "on an HD console" insted, this wouldn't have been an issue. It is possible to have a discussion like this without turning it into a console fight.

For that matter just_nonplussed, "true Zelda fan" isn't a good choice of words either. Zelda fans cover the spectrum, just like any other group of series fans out there. There's no pidgeon-holing them.

yeah i guess. i knew that word was divisive before posting, but it's true that zelda has never been about immense graphical detail. compare FFVI to LttP and you'll see what i mean. square hired a lot more artists to create an intricate baroque style, while nintendo focused on creating solid, functional worlds (still pretty though).

final fantasy is like an art project with a game tagged on. while zelda is a more like a world built around a game concept. more superfluous detail cuts into actual gameplay.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Thoe do look quite nice, but yeah, many of the enviroments shown aren't really Zelda-ish. Now if we had those visuals with Zelda-ish enviroments, then that'd be something. ;)

DJ-Lafleur

Given the difference of environment between Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker... I don't see how anything in particular can be "Zelda-ish." :P

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Really i don't see anything that impresses me. It can look prettier but if this is the direction they head into...
I think i could do a whole lot better with the Zelda series than something like this.
The more i am reading peoples ideas and opinions, and definitely the more games i play that just don't do what i would have done, the more i feel like i should get myself some skills and into a development team lol.
(Btw i suck at studying so that will never happen, don't worry.)

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Interesting. Though some of those don't seem far outside of the Wii's capabilities..

Also even if the Wii didn't exist, that doesn't mean Nintendo would have developed for other consoles. More likely they would have shifted their resources to the handheld market.

yx2vy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yx2vy
Member since 2009 • 307 Posts

Blood in a Zelda game! That's a good one! :lol:

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

Judging by those screens, a higher definition Twilight Princess with a bad art direction? :P

_BlueDuck_
Was gonna say, looks like it has a higher resolution, more AA and some sharper textures than TP, I'm sure the Wii could pull that off if pushed hard enough.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#32 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

What do you mean "true" next gen console? Graphics capability? Graphics don't matter. Period. They're nice to have, but they seriously don't matter squat in comparison to gameplay. If anything, Wii is the only true next gen console due to its incredibly innovative concept, but that's not what I think. All of the consoles now are next gen. There's no place for "true" in that discussion.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I wouldn't play it. Zelda is not supposed to be hyper realistic or "mature". Just because thats what the average gamer who grew up in the PS2 era wants doesn't mean thats what it should be for Zelda.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

What do you mean "true" next gen console? Graphics capability? Graphics don't matter. Period. They're nice to have, but they seriously don't matter squat in comparison to gameplay. If anything, Wii is the only true next gen console due to its incredibly innovative concept, but that's not what I think. All of the consoles now are next gen. There's no place for "true" in that discussion.

calvinsora

Videogames are a visual medium so claiming that graphics don't matter is a nonsensical statement. At the very least, improved graphics are to gaming what color and sound was to the motion picture; a means to expand the possibilities of the medium and give creators and developers a broader selection of tools. There is a reason why this industry has always been propelled by graphical advancement and that reason is quite simply that visual fidelity matters quite a bit.

Of course, when we talk about graphics, we are talking about an entire spectrum of advancements that fall under that umbrella, including physics, rendering capabilities, 3D tech, etc. These things are merely tools but in the right hands these tools can create worlds and only through technological advancement can said worlds be fully realized. When I play something like GTAIV or Dead Rising, what I'm experiencing could not have been achieved on earlier hardware.

The problem with the Wii is that while the motion controls were certainly innovative, that concept has been anchored to hardware only a few notches above a PS2 and it really has hampered the Wii's potential considerably. I agree that the Wii is a true next gen console(obviously because it is part of the next generation) but I am consistently disappointed with how most of the games actually look and play.

Hell, I think I would have been satisfied if the Wii could have matched the XB1 graphically.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

Zelda has been known for its artistic prowess since the move to 3D, and Ocarina of Time was one of the most visually stunning games of its time, so you can't say it has never been about graphics. Now, disregarding the pictures that were posted, would you really not want to see what Nintendo's talented team of artists could do with a higher resolution? Sure graphics aren't everything, but if you can have your cake and eat it too, why wouldn't you?

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

It's not bad-looking, but Nintendo would surely do a much better job with the artwork if they were doing it themselves. A lot of things in those screenshots look pretty generic.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 just_nonplussed

oh, you still didn't change the title..... 'true' should be removed.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
It's not bad-looking, but Nintendo would surely do a much better job with the artwork if they were doing it themselves. A lot of things in those screenshots look pretty generic.Teufelhuhn
Not to mention that Link looks out of place in alot of those screens
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ThePlothole

Zelda has been known for its artistic prowess since the move to 3D, and Ocarina of Time was one of the most visually stunning games of its time, so you can't say it has never been about graphics. Now, disregarding the pictures that were posted, would you really not want to see what Nintendo's talented team of artists could do with a higher resolution? Sure graphics aren't everything, but if you can have your cake and eat it too, why wouldn't you?

djsundowner

If you could I suppose. But in real life there is always a tradeoff. For the PS3 and 360 it's been the skyrocketing costs of game development.

_CaptainHappy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 _CaptainHappy_
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

Nice pics man I hate nintendo they should give up but somehow there the best selling console for the last 5 months straight I think once they run outta the money there spending on buying those consoles to get the score up theyl quit.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThePlothole

Nice pics man I hate nintendo they should give up but somehow there the best selling console for the last 5 months straight I think once they run outta the money there spending on buying those consoles to get the score up theyl quit.

_CaptainHappy_

From what can comprehend, you think that they've been buying their own consoles to inflate the sales figures?

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

[QUOTE="djsundowner"]

ThePlothole

If you could I suppose. But in real life there is always a tradeoff. For the PS3 and 360 it's been the skyrocketing costs of game development.

Hmm... I think Nintendo may have a few extra bucks laying around...

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ThePlothole

djsundowner

So do other publishers. But they're still making compromises this gen. Taking fewer risks.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="djsundowner"]

ThePlothole

So do other publishers. But they're still making compromises this gen. Taking fewer risks.

They're taking a lot more risks than Nintendo. Nintendo has done a lot for casual gaming this gen, but in terms of core games, they've clung to franchises more feverishly than the vast majority of the X360/PS3 game publishers.

SD development is cheaper than HD development, but unless that cheapness translates into bolder. more imaginative games, why should non-stockholding core gamers care?

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="djsundowner"]

CarnageHeart

They're taking a lot more risks than Nintendo. Nintendo has done a lot for casual gaming this gen, but in terms of core games, they've clung to franchises more feverishly than the vast majority of the X360/PS3 game publishers.

SD development is cheaper than HD development, but unless that cheapness translates into bolder. more imaginative games, why should non-stockholding core gamers care?

That's part of why I worry... as conservative as they are now, I fear things could get even worse.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
So this is what Zelda would look like in the Source Engine lol @ Gregory in the background
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

just_nonplussed

whatever. it's not really a matter of "more power = better gamez!" though. not necessarily.

A vast improvement in graphics can help bring Zelda's world really spring to life, and that sense of immersion could come a lot more easily.

I love Zelda's world, art direction, and various tones it's done over the years (Wind Waker is my favorite, though), but seeing Twilight Princess in HD would have made it all the better.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#48 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'd love to see a Zelda game with the graphics of GoWIII or Killzone 2, yet I don't see that happening. At least not anytime soon.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#49 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I imagine Zelda would look really good in 1080p.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

All Nintendo need to do is get the story line and art direction sorted, release the next console, wait for Assassins Creed 3 and steal the engine and we may have the best game of all time on our hands.