How Would FPS Gamers Fare in a Real Combat Scenario?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gymfreek9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gymfreek9
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

Recently, I've been playing a lot of different first person shooters lately (Cod 4, Cod WaW, Halo 3, Killzone 2. etc.) and I've noticed the tactics and gameplay styles of people who play online seem rather unrealistic. What I want to know is, if someone gave 18 different FPS gamers high velocity Airsoft Guns orPaintball Markers and split them up into teams, how would they do? What would they do? How would those quick relfexes and exellent hand-to-eye coordiation translate to a real battle field? What would happen?

Cyrez60659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Cyrez60659
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

They'd get lost looking for health packs.

AvalonSaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AvalonSaber
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

They would get shot and expect their health to regenerate...

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I play paintball and find myself to still aggressive, but less so than I would be in a game mainly due to the promise of painful welts if I screw up. To be honest, in a real combat situation I'd probably curl up into a ball in the trenches.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Recently, I've been playing a lot of different first person shooters lately (Cod 4, Cod WaW, Halo 3, Killzone 2. etc.) and I've noticed the tactics and gameplay styles of people who play online seem rather unrealistic. What I want to know is, if someone gave 18 different FPS gamers high velocity Airsoft Guns orPaintball Markers and split them up into teams, how would they do? What would they do? How would those quick relfexes and exellent hand-to-eye coordiation translate to a real battle field? What would happen?

gymfreek9

I could only imagine that everything would end with tea bagging.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
It depends on the game and the playstyle. Games like Rainbow Six might be helpful.
MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

Like the person above me mentioned, someone with a lot of experience playing games like Rainbow Six might do fairly decently. Those who play nothing but CoD4, Halo, and even Counter Strike, on the other hand, would fare about as well as a scoop of ice cream in the middle of a desert.

How would I do? Terribly. I have an extremely hard time with any sort of confrontation playing Paintball in reality, so I doubt I'd do well in actual combat.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
So jumping and circle strafing are bad ideas in an actual firefight? :lol:
redfield_137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 redfield_137
Member since 2005 • 2269 Posts

After a game of laser tag many years ago a friend of mine once said to me, "playing Goldeneye makes me really good at laser tag". I exploded into rapturous laughter moments later.

MrZKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrZKT
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think I'd do pretty well in a paintball or airsoft match... but then again I played paintball professionally for a while
aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aaaaarrrrggggg
Member since 2005 • 13979 Posts
I was actually thinking this over earlier, believe it or not, and I came to the conclusion that they would fare as well as an epileptic walrus, which, in fact, most of them are.... Don't kill me, I'm joking. -_- I actually thought that they would either be paranoid or over-confident, both of which would be pretty bad.
northcoast17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 northcoast17
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Just run back and forth and keep shooting. What could possibly go wrong?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

from what Ive seen... quite horrible...

very few games gives you anything useful at all you can convert into a real scenario...

even fairly realistic games like Rainbow 6 (not the vegas ones), will only give a limited theroretical knowlage, and then the person has to convert that into practical use... its alot harder then people think.

In reality there are alot of factors you need to learn, and alot of things that just doessnt work.

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
Well considering that 90% of fps gamers wouldnt even know how to operate a gun i'd say they'd get shot in a second. I was in army and it turned out my previous exp of pc-shooting didnt really help me.
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

They would get winded after trying to bunny hop everywhere. :P

I know I would do poorly. I don't use enough strategy. Games don't really teach you how to navigate your surroundings, and do it stealthy and tactically. Or at least not games like Call of Duty 4 and Counter-Strike. :P

Avatar image for LittleJackieJoe
LittleJackieJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LittleJackieJoe
Member since 2009 • 46 Posts

Real combat situations usually require a sort of teamwork/leadership - not something you'd find in many games today.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Not very well. Games don't instill a fear for your physical well-being.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

I would probably end up shooting barrels trying to make them explode. Or holding onto a grenade too long trying to cook it.

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

I'd ask where i can get stopping power before fighting. Plus i'd ask for an MP5 because if real war is anything like CoD an MP5 can be a shotgun, assault rifle, and sniper rifle all in one handy package. And before i died i'd throw a grenade on the ground and hope an enemy dies with me.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
They wouldn't fare well at all lol They can't respawn or health regeneration or pick up ammo just by walking over a gun.
A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

I don't how others would do, but I'm quite positive I would suck ass.

I would probably be the guy who camps all day, and just tosses grenades hoping for random kills.

I would be too scared to do anything else.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

They'll fare better than those WoW players who keep trying to channel their inner spirit to unleash a fireball or attempt to bring a sword to a gunfight.

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

They'll fare better than those WoW players who keep trying to channel their inner spirit to unleash a fireball or attempt to bring a sword to a gunfight.

edgewalker16

WoW players can make it outside? I thought years of cheetos would prevent them from even getting out the door.

PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

It depends. If they were interested enough to look into military tactics and how to operate firearms, they might. If not, fat chance.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

It would probably turn into a brawl as every good FPS player knows that meleeing is more effective than bullets.

Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts
I'd imagine there would be heavy casualties from poorly thought out rocket jump attempts.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

I had probably been able to load and use a rifle.

Real combat scenario? No.

Dawn of the Dead!

kreig28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kreig28
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

they wouldnt be that good but they'll sure have some idea how..

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Hell yeah, spawn nade them, and borrow a German Mp5 with stopping power,
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Haha, I'd say I fair all right in paintball. If it's any tantamount to my "skill" from FPS, I walk all over noobs! (Actually, they're just my friends who'd never held a paintball gun in their lives). In all seriousness, though, I know enough to keep low and stay behind cover, and I know how to fire a handgun. If Red Orchestra has taught me anything, never walk to your destination. You run like hell, or you crawl.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

They would get shot and expect their health to regenerate...

AvalonSaber

I was going to say that :(

Vundi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vundi
Member since 2003 • 12755 Posts

They'd get lost looking for health packs.

Cyrez60659
Hahahaha!! Post of the day right there! Classic!
Vundi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vundi
Member since 2003 • 12755 Posts

gymfreek9
Ok, coming from someone who HAS real combat experience, I'd venture to say they wouldn't last long. Most video game tactics hinge on the fact that you can take a few rounds before you die or just respawn if you get taken out. In real combat all it takes is one bullet to ruin your entire gameplan. Not saying that there aren't some solid foundations in some of the tactis online gamers use but in real life combat those tactis just don't fly. Hell, the Army won't even stick around to shoot it out unless you get positive ID on your target and you out number the enemy at least 3 to 1. Any less than that and you hightail it to the rear. These games are getting more realistic and they're a blast to play but it takes more than quick fingers to really get down and dirty.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 muthsera666
Well considering that 90% of fps gamers wouldnt even know how to operate a gun i'd say they'd get shot in a second. I was in army and it turned out my previous exp of pc-shooting didnt really help me.Pessu
Shooting a gun isn't that difficult. At all. And it's rather fun.
MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

[QUOTE="Pessu"]Well considering that 90% of fps gamers wouldnt even know how to operate a gun i'd say they'd get shot in a second. I was in army and it turned out my previous exp of pc-shooting didnt really help me.muthsera666

Simply shooting a gun may not be difficult, but shooting a gun accurately and hitting your target with only a minimum of rounds is.

Plus, many FPS fans would run out of ammunition quickly in a real combat situation, either because they would too trigger happy or because they would drop a half-full magazine thinking that somehow those rounds will be magically shoved into another magazine instantly.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="Pessu"]Well considering that 90% of fps gamers wouldnt even know how to operate a gun i'd say they'd get shot in a second. I was in army and it turned out my previous exp of pc-shooting didnt really help me.MecaShadow

Simply shooting a gun may not be difficult, but shooting a gun accurately and hitting your target with only a minimum of rounds is.

Plus, many FPS fans would run out of ammunition quickly in a real combat situation, either because they would too trigger happy or because they would drop a half-full magazine thinking that somehow those rounds will be magically shoved into another magazine instantly.

You're exaggerating quite a bit. FPS players may not be getting the entire experience from playing FPS games, but that doesn't make them dimwits. An FPSplayer firing a gun for the first time wouldlikely have an advantage over a non-FPS player firing a gun for the first time.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
They'd all die. FPS's and real life firefight combat is completely different.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 muthsera666

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="Pessu"]Well considering that 90% of fps gamers wouldnt even know how to operate a gun i'd say they'd get shot in a second. I was in army and it turned out my previous exp of pc-shooting didnt really help me.MecaShadow

Saying that they wouldn't know how to operate a gun, and saying that they would be able to shoot a quarter at a hundred yards are two different things.
kwanzudood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kwanzudood
Member since 2004 • 379 Posts

This is a good question, I posted something similar under "which game is closer to a real firefight?"

There are so many different things that you'd think about in a real firefight that you take for granted playing an FPS. Things like:

• Being able to reload your weapon under fire. This needs to be practiced until it becomes a reflex action.
  • Keeping track of how many shots you've fired and actually conserving ammo (typically in a real firefight you wouldn't want to pick up enemy weapons b/c of reliability issues, you trust your own weapon more because you cleaned/loaded it)
  • Can you shoot, move and communicate with your team while wearing gear and supplies?
  • Aiming down iron sights with a real rifle takes practice, breathing control, and being able to recognize good sight pictures. There's no convenient blooming reticle
  • You wouldn't dare leave the rest of your squad in a real firefight
  • When looking around corners try to look low if possible, don't look around a corner at "man-height". There's no strafing around corners.
  • There is nothing noobish or cheap in a real firefight, you do whatever it takes to kill the enemy and survive. No one will bash you for using an M203 to blow out a real sniper's nest.
  • Don't hug walls, bullets can skip along walls
  • There is a clear chain of command, everyone in the squad knows who's in charge, and who they should be listening to.
  • You are either looking quickly or firing when you pop your head out from behind cover. You can't sit somewhere with your head up and scan your sector all day
  • You have to think aboutbullet penetration when you shoot at something.
  • All it takes is a bullet graze orsomething random to decrease your combat effectiveness.Basically, if you're hit by anything anywhere, you're most likely out of the fight.
  • You have to think about the texture of the ground when you're trying to figure out where to move for cover

Anything else I haven't thought of?

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I'm a fairly good shot actually.
gymfreek9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gymfreek9
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

I am too, but unfortunately my real life shooting tallent has pretty much little to no effect on how wellI play online FPS's.

randino84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 randino84
Member since 2009 • 457 Posts
they might have the knowledge to know what to do but wouldnt have physical ability to carry it out
kandoriasu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kandoriasu2
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

Shooting aspect, a player of FPS would be screwed. It takes more of a steady hand and takes a while to get used to the weapon your using, especiallyto use it effectively. Stradegy might come in handy if you played a game that has a four man cell or squad,cause thats theonly thing in gamesthat are realistic that could be used in the field of combat. So if your going to take anything from a FPS in my opinion, it would be the squad based games that might do some good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="gymfreek9"]

MadVybz

lmao :lol: Every image of someone crouching up and down over my head after dying in an FPS has suddenly entered my brain.

On topic, I know how to operate a gun and fair pretty well in paintball and airsoft. In a real life situation however I have no idea if I would be able to replicate this.

hamelkarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 hamelkarl
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

Depends of the game and research actually. A game like ArmA is a sim. When you do play that game for a long time you come to know even the dictionary that the army use. Some server are mostly veterans or people already in the army. Some does even play this game with TrackIR 5. You really have to know a lot's of real tactic to make a good use of it. Even some games like Rainbow Six could require some real tactic for clearing room. This can applied in real life and are really close to the real tactics.

I have friends that I can play with them that way in game. In a long term you start to have better communication. That is the most important thing to have also in real life. If you can't communicate well, than the probability you survive is low. The rule of communication, I do have adopted something that looks like this. Alert, orient, describe, expound... An example would be something like :"Contact,North-East,medical officer,patrolling the road, 400 meters."

Planning is also a big part when you play. The better the planning, the easier the job will be. If you know exactly what each one have to do. There's gonna be a short amount of time thinking in the field. There's gonna be less mistakes also. A plan is without a doubt one thing you can't go without.

Terrain and Weather. If you do use the terrain and weather to your advantage. The chance you survive in a firefight does increase by a lot's. If you walk without worrying about cover and concealment, the chance you get spotted is much more higher. The chance you get fired and being miss are way much smaller also. Weather can also play a role. Use things like fogs, night to your advantage depending on the operation could benefit in some case. There's always an easier roads someone can take when they learn to use terrain and weather.

Learning about weapons could also make you do less mistakes. Engaging an enemy at 200m with an mp5 would just be really stupid when you know the maximum effective range is somewhat like 100m and your max range is 150m. Learning what cartridge can be useful also. Rates of fire and muzzle velocity are also things someone should know before firing the gun. Learning to use scope could also benefit a lot's for weapons who have them. You should know how to adjust it before using it. Nope, scope are not always perfectly adjusted. They are in games, but not in real life. In ArmA with the Ace mod, it is possible to adjust it. There's nothing better than taking a sniper and shooting guys really far away that could have caused you trouble later.

In general, Some simulation games could really help in the field. It could not teach you everything, but there's probably a big amount of stuffs that can be learned. Holding a weapon and shooting is only one part of a training. Most people even in the army don't shoot their weapons a lot's before being send in mission imo.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 muthsera666
they might have the knowledge to know what to do but wouldnt have physical ability to carry it outrandino84
What do you mean?
roadwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 roadwish
Member since 2005 • 425 Posts

I would pwn them all with my cheats and wallhacks.Actually if it would be paintball or airsoft I would be quite comfortable bcz I play both quite often but real firefight I'm not sure how I would react.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#48 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
they would be boring cause they would be so short. in real life 1 bullet is enough to take you down my friend.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Decently, I have some tactical knowledge and whether it would work I donno. I can shoot a gun pretty well. Scope or with iron sights. So I may be able to pick off some guys if someone else is giving orders.

polkim1502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 polkim1502
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts

[QUOTE="gymfreek9"]

MadVybz

i lol'd