How does pacing in video games make any sense?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I often here pacing come up when people talk about or review video games... My question is how does the concept of pacing apply to video games? It works for movies because they are designed to be experienced in one single sitting. With video games, you are expected to play a part of it at a time. so when one chapter of a game is quick paced and you decide to stop after that for the day then come back the next day to a slow paced chapter, isn't that annoying? The only pacing that makes sense to me in a video game is a consistent one. Fast paced all the time or slow paced and cerebral all the time. Pacing is for the movies. It does not make sense here. What do you think?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Some people watch a 2 hours movie in two sittings and some people play a 6 hours game in an afternoon, did you know?
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
its a valid critique and it means different things for different games. the god of war series is paced well because santa monica didnt try to extend playtime by throwing in every scenario they could muster. they cut out everything but their best so there werent any down levels. compare that to mass effect games where bioware segments units of playtime. there are the missions with lots of action, but those are tempered by chats with squadmates and resource gathering. its a design with the intent that the player could do a mission in a sitting or do more but have the other activities as palette cleansers so they dont get burned out on the action.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
its a valid critique and it means different things for different games. the god of war series is paced well because santa monica didnt try to extend playtime by throwing in every scenario they could muster. they cut out everything but their best so there werent any down levels. compare that to mass effect games where bioware segments units of playtime. there are the missions with lots of action, but those are tempered by chats with squadmates and resource gathering. its a design with the intent that the player could do a mission in a sitting or do more but have the other activities as palette cleansers so they dont get burned out on the action. LoG-Sacrament
thats true. pacing also has a lot to do with story, as in any other storytelling medium (books, films, etc). In any good story, you have to intersperse action with downtime. If you have nonstop action, your reader or audience will get tired of it, you need slower scenes as well, character development stuff, exposition, backstory, etc.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its a valid critique and it means different things for different games. the god of war series is paced well because santa monica didnt try to extend playtime by throwing in every scenario they could muster. they cut out everything but their best so there werent any down levels. compare that to mass effect games where bioware segments units of playtime. there are the missions with lots of action, but those are tempered by chats with squadmates and resource gathering. its a design with the intent that the player could do a mission in a sitting or do more but have the other activities as palette cleansers so they dont get burned out on the action. Allicrombie
thats true. pacing also has a lot to do with story, as in any other storytelling medium (books, films, etc). In any good story, you have to intersperse action with downtime. If you have nonstop action, your reader or audience will get tired of it, you need slower scenes as well, character development stuff, exposition, backstory, etc.

Commando.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its a valid critique and it means different things for different games. the god of war series is paced well because santa monica didnt try to extend playtime by throwing in every scenario they could muster. they cut out everything but their best so there werent any down levels. compare that to mass effect games where bioware segments units of playtime. there are the missions with lots of action, but those are tempered by chats with squadmates and resource gathering. its a design with the intent that the player could do a mission in a sitting or do more but have the other activities as palette cleansers so they dont get burned out on the action. Allicrombie

but doesn't that only work if the downtime and action is experienced together in one sitting? I think the fact that games are designed to be played in many sittings suggests that the downtime is you switching games or stopping for a break. Slower segments in an action game are a bad idea especially when they tend to mean dead gameplay.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Pacing in Resident Evil games are utter balls, the early ones anyway. Still awesome games though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pikminmaniac

Pacing in Resident Evil games are utter balls, the early ones anyway. Still awesome games though.

Ilovegames1992

I've only played the first Resident Evil and I thought it was appropriate. The whole game was about planning everything and solving puzzles. You really had to be careful so the slowness felt fitting. It allowed you to think things through. There was a consistancy there. Man I loved that game... I remember beating it in 1 hour and a half on my second play through for that infinite rocket launcher... What happened to that series :(

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I think some of the best games with "good pacing" would allow for high-intensity action and moments to catch your breath regardless of what part of the game you're on (so, present in every sitting). Halo: CE comes to mind, especially with Bungie's old "30 seconds of fun" moniker. In a single level, there are moments of tension/traveling/stealth, then there are massive vehicular firefights, and the transitions never seem jarring.

But pacing is a double edged sword. You will never see anybody rate Call of Duty down for having bad pacing, because it's action-action-action all the time, and that's entertaining to us. The only time reviewers complain about pacing is when it's slow. This would never be the case in other mediums like TV or novels.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Pikminmaniac

I've only played the first Resident Evil and I thought it was appropriate. The whole game was about planning everything and solving puzzles. You really had to be careful so the slowness felt fitting. It allowed you to think things through. There was a consistancy there. Man I loved that game... I remember beating it in 1 hour and a half on my second play through for that infinite rocket launcher... What happened to that series :(

That first Resident Evil was pretty sweet.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

A big gunfight might last 10 minutes or so, not a whole evening (which for me is about 2 hours). I like action parts interspersed with some exploration, maybe some platforming, possibly a cut scene for a bit of story/character development, etc.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Take the original Metal Gear Solid, for example. Great game, but poorly paced due to the amount of time you spend watching cutscenes vs. playing the game. Pacing can mean:

• The time spent between interactivity and noninteraction
  • The length of time it takes for a game to get to interesting parts.
  • The game's rate of progression (e.g. controlling the text speed)

At least, that's how I view pacing.

swyg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 swyg
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts

Pacing can also include elements on gameplay mechanics. How slow or fast the level up speed is, the rate at which you acquire increasingly more powerful and useful weapons/abilities, and even how large the travel area of a game is.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I think it's mostly a fancy way of saying they arbitrarily inserted grinding into the game, especially when it's open world. That's usually where I hear that terminology used. It's sometimes used to judge the speed of the unfolding story, as mentioned above, but I find that particular aspect too subjective to care what someone else thinks.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Some people watch a 2 hours movie in two sittings and some people play a 6 hours game in an afternoon, did you know?Black_Knight_00

Indeed, I watched about 40 minutes of the movie Thor, about three days ago and I don't feel like watching the rest.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its a valid critique and it means different things for different games. the god of war series is paced well because santa monica didnt try to extend playtime by throwing in every scenario they could muster. they cut out everything but their best so there werent any down levels. compare that to mass effect games where bioware segments units of playtime. there are the missions with lots of action, but those are tempered by chats with squadmates and resource gathering. its a design with the intent that the player could do a mission in a sitting or do more but have the other activities as palette cleansers so they dont get burned out on the action. Pikminmaniac

but doesn't that only work if the downtime and action is experienced together in one sitting? I think the fact that games are designed to be played in many sittings suggests that the downtime is you switching games or stopping for a break. Slower segments in an action game are a bad idea especially when they tend to mean dead gameplay.

books and television series are generally intended to be experienced in multiple sittings. even in films, its not unheard of to have an intermission. creators often dont know exactly how their audience will experience their work and they cant account for every possibility, but they can have a pretty good idea. the mass effect series places in characters to get players involved in a variety of the gameplay types in a play session. the crew members will often tell the player that a squadmate wants to speak with them.

also, i dont think pacing is only important for storytelling either. ill go back to the god of war series. they are certainly action games, but the developers know they dont have the deepest systems to work with. instead, they have a short term cycle of combat, platforming, and puzzle solving to prevent it from getting repetitive (and a long term delivery schedule of new abilities). even games with genuinely good combat systems like dmc3 adhere to these two methods.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its a valid critique and it means different things for different games. the god of war series is paced well because santa monica didnt try to extend playtime by throwing in every scenario they could muster. they cut out everything but their best so there werent any down levels. compare that to mass effect games where bioware segments units of playtime. there are the missions with lots of action, but those are tempered by chats with squadmates and resource gathering. its a design with the intent that the player could do a mission in a sitting or do more but have the other activities as palette cleansers so they dont get burned out on the action. Pikminmaniac

Wow. How short are your sessions? 2 minutes? Even battles in shooters lasting 10 minutes have highs and lows to them. Some of it is dictated by the programming, some of it controlled by the player. It could come in the form of well-placed cover where the cover is a slower part until you decide to move another cover point or shoot all the enemies from where you are. It could come in the form of providing a few seconds between waves of enemeis, or trigger points the open up monster closets. Pulling back to a longer time frame, it becomes more evident. Between battles are areas where the player travels either in a vehicle or along a corridor. This is your downtime until you hit a kill box where a battle takes place.

Pick any shooter campaign, Left 4 Dead, Battlefield, Halo, Killzone, Gears of War. There's pacing there.

Even in platformers, there are easy enemies dispersed between more difficult enemies or environmental puzzles.

Action games, racing games... there's pacing in nearly all games where the designer intends it.

I think you're just having a problem getting your head wrapped around the sense of scale that pacing can exist in. Differences in pacing can occur in a span of a minute.

Being able to create a natural sense of pacing without the player really noticing is where good game design comes in.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I find that pacing is one of the more important aspects of game design.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Pacing is important for games, though it's not as important for handheld games since they are meant to be played in short bursts (not all are, but a lot are designed with that in mind). I thought Uncharted 1 had horrible pacing, and it just got old having to kill wave after wave after wave of enemies in some spots and then randomly the whole thing is cut in order to do some puzzle thing. It would have been better to have had the enemies more spaced out rather than in one area. Uncharted 2 fixed a lot of that, for me at least, and it didn't seem as out of place to have a random puzzle appear. Still playing the 3rd one, but it seems like it's gotten even better, which is to be expected as a game gets further in a series.

I think that most games have at least average pacing, so it's not really that noticable as being part of the game, but when it goes wrong, it is really noticable.

Really, any medium that is an extended type of story (i.e. book, movie, TV show, video game) has some sort of pacing, it's just that it's usually not noticable unless it's done poorly.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Put it this way...Modern Warfare and Battlefield have absolutely no pacing. My feeling about pacing is that it's representative of how fast you want to go through the game. Games that don't give you a choice have no pacing. Games that give you a choice in when/how to start the next objective are a good benchmark for judging pace.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Put it this way...Modern Warfare and Battlefield have absolutely no pacing. My feeling about pacing is that it's representative of how fast you want to go through the game. Games that don't give you a choice have no pacing. Games that give you a choice in when/how to start the next objective are a good benchmark for judging pace.

edgewalker16
I actually felt that all of the CoD games up till World At War had pretty decent pacing. After that though, it's just balls to the walls action without rest.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Has to do with juxtposition between the action and other elements like character development, plot, etc.

In most games each "mission" is broken up into a 30 minute sequence, after that you come back to base, dump loot, find minerals, explore, talk to crew, etc.

That's pacing.

Basically it lets the game be played in 40 minute blocs of time where you get 30 minutes of action and 10 minutes of explore/talk/loot/sell.

It's all very subjective.

For example some people only want action. So the 10 minutes of "downtime" after every mission is just boring.

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts

Depends on the game, but it matters more in heavily story driven games. It's essentially the same as in movies, just broken up over a longer period. To use a simple example, imagine a movie that spends 2 hours developing the plot, reaches the climax and then ends 10 minutes later. Now consider a game that dump 30-50 hours in, hits the climax and then throws you into the final boss battle and ends directly afterwards. This can work depending how the story is told, but it can also fail miserably.

Bad pacing can also manifest in less obvious ways. A character can be introduced late in the game, but a disproportionate amount of importance can be placed on them with little time for character development. Pacing is all about how various elements of a story are split up along a timeline. Doesn't matter if the timeline is 2 hours long or 50 hours.

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
When I talk about pacing, I mean in a continuous play session. Stopping and then coming back doesn't count.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#25 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

A combination of fast-paced moments and slow-paced sequences is what I like, and of course a well paced story always helps.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Well TC, an example would be in FFXIII-2; great game but odd pacing towards the end. The narrative is really cranking up at this point, you're getting drawn in and can't wait to see the conclusion and then BAM a giant, boring platforming section which takes a considerable amount of time to traverse. It sort of throws you off the story for a bit and then it starts picking up again. It's a bit of a chore and breaks up the action.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Pacing still applies even across several sittings. For instance I'm playing Xenoblade right now and that game has some pacing issues; the story sometimes picks up but often you are confronted with exploration sequences that are back to back with no meaningful progression of plot in between. The fact that I don't play them back to back is irrelevant because I know next time I play the game there will be 'more of what I've already had a enough of from the last play session'. The feelings and mental stress of the previous session remain with you well after you turn the system off...for months sometimes
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i think they mean if u have a gunfight that drags on for a while....then just exploring for a bit...then gun fight...explore etc...