High rated games you just couldn't get into?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Most recently for me is Dragon Age Origins.

Inquisitions is still on my radar though. After hearing about the save file transfer and how good Origins is, I recently picked up The Ultimate Edition. The lore so far is great with good voice acting. I played it for a few hours and can't help thinking, 'an RPG with Origins lore combined with Dragon's Dogma combat would be beastly'.

I find the tactics combat has a steep learning curve to other RPG's but far less enjoyable for some reason. I like the idea of real time combat mixed with strategy but the mechanics feel somewhat needlessly complicated. Even the store menus seem to have two types of currency which is not explained in the manual.

Also the whole mute protagonist thing is another disappointment for me, especially since all stories seem to be guided paths like Mass Effect with not much character customization.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age Origins, Call of Duty (all games), in other words I don't rate a lot of high rated games

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HipHopBeats

@Tokeism said:

GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age Origins, Call of Duty (all games), in other words I don't rate a lot of high rated games

Lol! Origins wasn't your cup of tea either? I was super disappointed with GTA IV. Only kept it a few days and sold it. The driving mechanics and 'realism' sucked. Not to mention the awful characters. GTA V made up for it though. AT least the single player anyway.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Dark souls and Demon souls. Felt like a bore for me.

Also when I had a xbox360.. Halo 4 or any Halo for that matter. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Dark Souls and Demon Souls. I kept asking myself "what is the point of playing?".

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Every BioWare game ever released I'm afraid

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@Pedro said:

Dark Souls and Demon Souls. I kept asking myself "what is the point of playing?".

Suffering that is.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@HipHopBeats: @alim298: suffering lol!!! I get what you mean. For me gta4/5 was a let down, don't get me wrong they are good looking games good characters good main missions, but I enjoyed gta for the free roam and side bits you could do and I haven't enjoyed that aspect of the game since gta San Andreas.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Pedro said:

@SovietsUnited said:

Every BioWare game ever released I'm afraid

I've got a couple to add:

Assassins Creed 2

Skyrim (Fallout New Vegas blew my mind so it's shocking that Skyrim is so boring)

Call of Duty after Black Ops

Halo (I enjoyed 3, Reach, and 4, they just didn't WOW me. I do want to play Anniversary though)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@HipHopBeats said:

Inquisitions is still on my radar though. After hearing about the save file transfer and how good Origins is, I recently picked up The Ultimate Edition. The lore so far is great with good voice acting. I played it for a few hours and can't help thinking, 'an RPG with Origins lore combined with Dragon's Dogma combat would be beastly'.

I find the tactics combat has a steep learning curve to other RPG's but far less enjoyable for some reason. I like the idea of real time combat mixed with strategy but the mechanics feel somewhat needlessly complicated. Even the store menus seem to have two types of currency which is not explained in the manual.

Also the whole mute protagonist thing is another disappointment for me, especially since all stories seem to be guided paths like Mass Effect with not much character customization.

Hmmm if you mean not get into as not finishing it. No game at all

I dont start a game without finishing it.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Demon's Souls didn't do much for me. That said, I may give Dark Souls a shot as I've seen a friend play it and it looks like something I have a shot of getting into.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

gtaiv is among the bigger ones. the characters are among the most childish and broad attempts at satire i've ever seen ("oh, man. wouldn't it be cool if we had a gratuitous S&M scene? what if we made a jamaican character whose only trait is that he smokes a lot? we really nailed that stereotype! we are definitely experts on the american dream."). they make the poor missions even worse because you have to endure big chunks of awful writing before you can get anything done. so if you die during one of those ludicrously slow and clunky shootouts, you have to listen to them all over again. you can't avoid the missions either. the vast majority of the sandbox needs to be unlocked by progressing through the story. there was almost nothing that i liked about the game.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HipHopBeats

@Jacanuk said:

@HipHopBeats said:

Lol, hats to you then. Anyone on your friend's list with 1 - 5% worth of trophies for any game most likely gave up on the game or didn't like it for whatever reason. After hours of talking, talking and trying to figure out the tactics combat, I was bored out of my mind with Origins.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HipHopBeats

@ariabed said:

@HipHopBeats: @alim298: suffering lol!!! I get what you mean. For me gta4/5 was a let down, don't get me wrong they are good looking games good characters good main missions, but I enjoyed gta for the free roam and side bits you could do and I haven't enjoyed that aspect of the game since gta San Andreas.

They'll never be another San Andreas. GTA V is pretty cool but it looks like from here on out, the main focus on GTA games for Rockstar will be its multiplayer unfortunately.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@HipHopBeats said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HipHopBeats said:

Lol, hats to you then. Anyone on your friend's list with 1 - 5% worth of trophies for any game most likely gave up on the game or didn't like it for whatever reason. After hours of talking, talking and trying to figure out the tactics combat, I was bored out of my mind with Origins.

hehe, its a OCD of mine :) i just can't leave it if its not done.

But ya i have plenty of friends who drop games for what ever reason , cant get into it, bad game, or forget about it.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HipHopBeats

@Jacanuk said:

@HipHopBeats said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HipHopBeats said:

But ya i have plenty of friends who drop games for what ever reason , cant get into it, bad game, or forget about it.

Ha! You must be like level 50 or something if you're on PS Plus or Xbox Live! How many platinums you got?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 and every COD after World at War (except Black Ops 1) . I just can't bring myself to play another Assassin's Creed , on other hand I've stopped bothering with COD totally (Don't even watch its gameplay or trailer or E3 reveal or whatever . Let alone wasting my time to pirate it , to check it before purchasing) . However I will return to AC 4 (I had left it uncompleted) , once I'll have my new rig . On other hand I never got excited about anything from Rockstar , very overrated studio in my opinion .

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

Assassin's Creed (All of them) - Way to boring, clunky controls etc.

Dragon Age Origins - Really want to like it but something is stopping me from liking it.

Bioshock Infinite - Gameplay was really downsized from 1 & 2, while the story was great.

Street Fighter - Just never liked it's art direction or gameplay to Tekken, early Soul Caliburs and Mortal Kombat.

GTA IV - Horrible controls, boring setting, horrid car handling, horrid characters, list goes on.

Fallout: New Vegas - Empty, small, more bugs than 3, lifeless... felt like an expansion rather a £40 RETAIL GAME.

Halo 4 - Felt it was far to casualized

Skyrim - See Halo 4

Dishonoured - Felt the game punished me for having fun. i.e don't kill people or there'll be more rats and enimies. Don't use your powers or you'll miss a lot of trophies. Dropped it after a few hours.

Resistance Fall of Man - Thought it was really barebones, even for a launch title.

foxrock66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 foxrock66
Member since 2010 • 409 Posts

Any GTA except five. Dragon Age, Gears of War, original Bioshock, Resistance FOM, Fallout New Vegas, the Arkham games, Max Payne 3 - which was a ton of fun but just not what I expected. the Killzones, Fable 2- I really preferred 3. Sue me. Also the Tomb Raider reboot.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Skyrim tried that loads a times.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#23 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Dragon Age 2

Dishonored

Dragon's Dogma

Resistance 2

Call of Juarez

Call of Duty (any of them after WAW)

Any JRPG (just doesn't even look fun)

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts
  • Call of Duty
  • Uncharted 1 & 2
  • Multiplayer Shooters

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#25 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't know if it counts as "high-rated", but Gran Turismo 5. It was basically my first racing sim, and I just couldn't get into it. I thought it was just the game at the time, but then I played Dirt 3 some time later and also found it incredibly boring for the most part.

Other than that, I tend to enjoy most of the games I play. Sometimes I don't feel like some games should have been rated as high as they were (like GTAIV) but I was still "into" these games and overall enjoyed them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Not many that I can think of. The three Resistance games come to mind, I just found them kind of dull and didn't care for the look of them.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Any military shooter

Demon's/Dark Souls

Uncharted 3

Halo 4

God of War

Gears of War

Rockstar games aside from Vice City and RDR.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacanuk

@HipHopBeats said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HipHopBeats said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HipHopBeats said:

Ha! You must be like level 50 or something if you're on PS Plus or Xbox Live! How many platinums you got?

Mostly a PC gamer so only exclusives on consoles which isn't a lot. :)

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Bioshock, Dishonored and LA Noire. I got so bored of these games, I just couldn't finish them.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HipHopBeats

@spaceninja818: It's funny you mentioned Dishonored. I was seriously considering buying the GOTY edition until I checked out some gameplay footage. Even though they promote Dishonored as a 'play how you want' game, it's like the game gives you cool weapons but punishes you for taking a lethal approach. Forcing you to do a pacifist playthrough for the better ending.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

GTA 4 & 5, Skyrim, every COD game since Modern Warfare, all Assassin's Creed games up to AC4... to name a few.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32  Edited By amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

@HipHopBeats said:

@spaceninja818: It's funny you mentioned Dishonored. I was seriously considering buying the GOTY edition until I checked out some gameplay footage. Even though they promote Dishonored as a 'play how you want' game, it's like the game gives you cool weapons but punishes you for taking a lethal approach. Forcing you to do a pacifist playthrough for the better ending.

Dishonored uses something called a 'chaos system'. You can still kill people and finish the game with a low chaos (good ending). It all depends on how many you kill and what side missions you complete. So, no, the game doesn't force you to do anything; your actions simply have consequences, which is something that not enough games do.

If you want to go on a killing spree every mission, wiping out guards and innocents, don't expect to receive a good ending.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

GTA IV, Bioshock series (I am willing to give them another try though), Assassins Creed series (Didn't enjoy the first, second or third but I do want to try Black Flag) Halo after Halo 2, Uncharted (I found them extremely boring. Beautiful as hell in scope though, I wont take that away from them), Fable 2 (I loved 3 which is weird), Battlefield, ES IV: Oblivion (I love Skyrim, so another oddity there.)

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#34 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

GTA IV - Could never get into GTA. Just always felt boring and repetitive to me. Don't think I was able to finish a single one.
Halo - Any Halo game. Multiplayer was all right, but the single player always bored the hell out of me. Vehicle combat was decent enough to keep me somewhat interested.
any Call of Duty since IV - Just the same thing over and over. I simply can't play this series anymore.
Red Dead Redemption - Same as GTA. Felt boring and repetitive to me, and it took waaaay too long to get going. Dead Eye made gunfights pretty boring.
Dragon Age Origins - Took a long time for the gameplay to really pick up (through much of the game, it was really slow-paced). Story was too much of a LotR rip-off. Level design was so banal that it gave me a headache if I played too long.

st1031120016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 st1031120016
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

GTA IV, i play with my brother and he is bigger than me and we could't finish it.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

Dragon Age Origins - Really want to like it but something is stopping me from liking it.

Bioshock Infinite - Gameplay was really downsized from 1 & 2, while the story was great.

Street Fighter - Just never liked it's art direction or gameplay to Tekken, early Soul Caliburs and Mortal Kombat.

GTA IV - Horrible controls, boring setting, horrid car handling, horrid characters, list goes on.

Fallout: New Vegas - Empty, small, more bugs than 3, lifeless... felt like an expansion rather a £40 RETAIL GAME.

Skyrim - See Halo 4

Dishonoured - Felt the game punished me for having fun. i.e don't kill people or there'll be more rats and enimies. Don't use your powers or you'll miss a lot of trophies. Dropped it after a few hours.

Resistance Fall of Man - Thought it was really barebones, even for a launch title.

umm i was gonna list some but you read my mind... nice

I'd probably not include Skyrim on that list for me, I did have fun playing around with the mods in the game, but you gotta be in the right mood to play the game.

I'll also add Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both these games i thought were boring and gameplay was stiff and slow.

Also Viva Pinata, really couldnt get into it.

The newest Final fantasy games... not sure what happened but I can't stand them now.

And nearly every single over rated indy game (nice way of saying shit lazy made game). wtf is with these things, worse graphics then atari/nes games most of the time.

Avatar image for 777hedonist7666
777Hedonist7666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 777Hedonist7666
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

@nicecall said:

@iamllamapie said:

Skyrim - See Halo 4

umm i was gonna list some but you read my mind... nice

I'd probably not include Skyrim on that list for me, I did have fun playing around with the mods in the game, but you gotta be in the right mood to play the game.

I'll also add Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both these games i thought were boring and gameplay was stiff and slow.

Also Viva Pinata, really couldnt get into it.

The newest Final fantasy games... not sure what happened but I can't stand them now.

And nearly every single over rated indy game (nice way of saying shit lazy made game). wtf is with these things, worse graphics then atari/nes games most of the time.

So much this. Rating these... things on the same scale as professionally developed retail games does a huge disservice to the industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

most big hits that are too scripted and story driven (= linear). i like exploring and building the story of my own. i watch a movie if i want a good story.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

MGS 4. I literally could not force myself to push through that abomination. I will never come to understand how such garbage garnered such high scores. It was a 7/10 at the very best.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#40 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
  • Uncharted 2
  • COD
  • Halo series
  • Gears of War
  • Oblivian

Avatar image for tunnelsnakesftw
TunnelSnakesFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TunnelSnakesFTW
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I loved Bioshock 1 and 2 but I HATE Infinite and also The Last of Us sucked in my opinion except for the mind raping, thought provoking ending.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Anything by Bioware.
  • The entire God of War series.
  • The entire Halo series.
  • The entire Assassin's Creed series.
  • The entire Grand Theft Auto series.
  • The entire Gears of War series.
  • The entire Call of Duty series.
  • Far Cry 3
  • Fez
  • The Last of Us
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pffrbt
@MirkoS77 said:

MGS 4. I literally could not force myself to push through that abomination. I will never come to understand how such garbage garnered such high scores. It was a 7/10 at the very best.

If it's such garbage then why would you give it such a high score.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MirkoS77

@Pffrbt said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Because, as all Kojima's work is, I find his games to be technically proficient. It was the story/storytelling and editing that was awful. If it had a good well told story I'd love it.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#46 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Batman: Arkham Asylum. I grew bored of it very quickly.. Also, I just couldn't get into Okami. That game always made me sleepy, and I just didn't find the story that interesting.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pffrbt

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pffrbt said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Because, as all Kojima's work is, I find his games to be technically proficient. It was the story/storytelling and editing that was awful. If it had a good well told story I'd love it.

If you don't enjoy the game at all then being technically proficient is meaningless. There's no reason to score a game higher than a 1 if you don't enjoy it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MirkoS77

@Pffrbt said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pffrbt said:
@MirkoS77 said:

If you don't enjoy the game at all then being technically proficient is meaningless. There's no reason to score a game higher than a 1 if you don't enjoy it.

Sure there is. Reviews should always hold some degree of objective merit. Even though reviews are the large majority subjective, there's always objective qualities within a game itself. I despise MGS 4, but I recognize its technical proficiency. Kojima and his team always make very technically impressive and well designed games, my dislike for his poor storytelling and editing skills doesn't change and is irrelevant to that fact.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pffrbt

@MirkoS77: "Reviews should always hold some degree of objective merit."
Why if the enjoyment of games is a completely subjective experience. Giving a game a score is subjective in itself. Being technically proficient may or may not even benefit a game.

"I despise MGS 4, but I recognize its technical proficiency."
What good is that technical proficiency if you despise the game.

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Vodoo
Member since 2003 • 3691 Posts

I absolutely hated the newest Max Payne game. It was rated pretty good but to me it just felt like Super Generic Game #4,056.