Has Marriage or Relashionships effected ur gaming life?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

I've been married for about 2 years now - and it's put quite a damper on my gaming. For one - there's the common naggings about how much time I spend behind my PC. And even if I do get the oppertunity to spend as long as I need to game, it's never really comfortable with the Family in the house. I'm constantly getting interruptions from the wife.

Anyone else have similar issues ?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I've heard pimpslaps work wonders. No but seriously, Tell your wife that just as she probably wants some alone time with friends or something, you want some alone time to just relax with a game or something. You should be able to work out an agreement.
HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

Lol no. I don't date, and I probably won't be married 'till I'm about 22/23/24ish. I'm 17 at the mo'.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

no i'm not going to get married

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

Lol no. I don't date, and I probably won't be married 'till I'm about 22/23/24ish. I'm 17 at the mo'.

HipYoungster42
Same with me, but I anticipate a marriage/long-term relationship in my 30s since I'm already 22.5... I've never really gone into the dating realm. I've generally found women to be far more annoying that is worth, and I'm not gay so I don't have many options. I'm not saying all women are annoying, just the ones that I've encountered.
krakout31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 krakout31
Member since 2008 • 785 Posts

iguess im just lucky my gf /partner enjoys watching me play ps3:D i let her get involved too so that mite have something to do with it lol

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. My wife gets mad at me any time I turn on the 360 and gripes at me about how I'm not spending enough quality time with her.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
My wife gave me the 'Ultimatum'... "it's either me, or those ***-dammed games yer always playin' so what's it gonna be?" Sometimes I really miss her...
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Yes. Greatly. My gaming time is probably down to 2-4 hours per week at the most.

Avatar image for deadly_shuriken
deadly_shuriken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deadly_shuriken
Member since 2009 • 1086 Posts
My wife gave me the 'Ultimatum'... "it's either me, or those ***-dammed games yer always playin' so what's it gonna be?" Sometimes I really miss her...67gt500
LMAO thats gotta be a joke, if not, then damn you should win an award or something
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Yes. I am married with two kids and my family has had a massive impact on my gaming time.Though that means I don't game as much as I used to, itsnot a completely negative effect since everyone in my family is a gamer and sometimes we all play together (mostly LBP) or against each other (VF5, Street Fighter HD).

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

The kids impact gaming more than the wife - but I can play when I want, I just need to be able to pause.

Greedaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Greedaux
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
yeah! because relationship takes a lot of attention .. and that's why i'm still single hehehhe
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
yeah! because relationship takes a lot of attention .. and that's why i'm still single hehehheGreedaux
Yeah because otherwise the ladies would be beating down the door for you lol
ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

The kids impact gaming more than the wife .

Fandangle

You got that right. I went from 20ish hours a week to zero games in the past three years.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
No, Im already a divorced with 2 kids.... but my ex g/f had a problem with me playing games at home not going to see her.... at her house doing nothin but watching movies, it's really boring so.
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

It's a matter of finding the time.

I certainly play less than I used to before I was married. But thankfully we work different schedules.

She gets Sat and Sun off, and I get Mon Tues off, so I get about 16 hours a week uninterupted. And she often starts at 9am, while I often start after 2pm, so I can get another few hours in then.

We still have plenty of time together (I work less hours than her, but make more per hour) so our relationship hasn't suffered, either.

When we worked the same shifts/same hours, I'd get 8 hours in per week, tops.

The trick is to either stay up late, or get up early when you can. I'd put in 4 or 5 hours in the morning on weekends. She sleeps in until noon.

Wow, I think I had a point... oh... I don't game as much as when i was single, but I've made an effort to find time to game, so it's not too bad.

Yeah.

1fast6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 1fast6
Member since 2004 • 729 Posts

keep it in perspective...

Marriage or Relashionships affected yur gaming life = minor problem

gaming life affected yur Marriage or Relashionships = major problem

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 muthsera666
[QUOTE="1fast6"]

Depends which you value more...
Smallville417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Smallville417
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts
So far not at all. My last relationship was nearly 4 years long, and we had 2 kids together. Even with children and her, I got in a lot of gaming time. So far I have been lucky, I've never been with anyone who tried to dictate how I spend my free time, as long as I give quality time to them.
Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

It's a matter of finding the time.

I certainly play less than I used to before I was married. But thankfully we work different schedules.

She gets Sat and Sun off, and I get Mon Tues off, so I get about 16 hours a week uninterupted. And she often starts at 9am, while I often start after 2pm, so I can get another few hours in then.

We still have plenty of time together (I work less hours than her, but make more per hour) so our relationship hasn't suffered, either.

When we worked the same shifts/same hours, I'd get 8 hours in per week, tops.

The trick is to either stay up late, or get up early when you can. I'd put in 4 or 5 hours in the morning on weekends. She sleeps in until noon.

Wow, I think I had a point... oh... I don't game as much as when i was single, but I've made an effort to find time to game, so it's not too bad.

Yeah.

-starman-

It sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

Hats off to you sir!

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. My wife gets mad at me any time I turn on the 360 and gripes at me about how I'm not spending enough quality time with her.UT_Wrestler

Get a second controller. That would be quality time as far as I am concerned. :P

chris2584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chris2584
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts
It's all about understanding my friend she knows I love games and I almost play daily, she does not mind it and kind of joins me and likes to have fun see me getting crazy with these games. She also likes playing Need for speed! she started playing three years backs, we have been going along really well. I guess my gaming life is unaltered and living on!!!!!! I am lucky.
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

I'm 31 and the day hasn't come when gaming interfered with any relationships.

...there have been many times when the crazy node that exists within every female's brain was suddenly activated and she became a biting, clawing, drooling denizen of the dark. But that's just normal, everyday stuff.

AaronJBarber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AaronJBarber

Well im only 18 but iv got a girlfriend and i definatly started playing games alot less when I got into a relationship. But she doesn't care that i play games, if she sees me playing halo or something she just calls me a nerd lol.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
My girlfriend and I have a understanding. She likes those horrible shows on tv and I like to game. So we spend some time together and then do what we want. We both happy, no nagging, and no bitterness that grows and grows. But, I've seen what the bad side is, kinda what the TC was saying. I've had one friend and a co-worker get divorce and it's like total freedom now. They are excited about gaming again. And I have another friend who wishes he was so he could game all he wants. Haha.
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
Still enjoying my life being single... Don't want to tie the knot just yet. So many games i want to play hehehe... And places i want to go to... And especially parties!!!! woooot
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

The kids impact gaming more than the wife - but I can play when I want, I just need to be able to pause.

Fandangle

This, only it's very difficult to "pause" during a live match so I tend to abandon a lot of games prematurely.

Derek42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Derek42
Member since 2009 • 1117 Posts

1fast6

How so?

Because the relationship is what is more cool so we should all spend way more time with that rather than if we like video games more.

id switch that around but thats just me lol my gf is at the movies atm and im here playing some ps3 :P

kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kaskus
People don't know when to stop playing........ So stubborn those types of guys not giving attention to their partners.....
The_Baymonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31 The_Baymonster
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

Nothing extreme.. when I'm in a relationship, I game less. When I'm out of one, I game more

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#32 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts

yeah im in college w/ a gf. its a little tough juggling it all. but she understands that gaming is my way to express emotions and kick back. so she will give me time to game if need be.

foleor_nomena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foleor_nomena

Not so much the wife. More the children. Seriously they cost a lot of time, but there is nothing better (not even gaming) than seeing your children smiling and happy.:)

So, yes I game less, but it's worth it. I do find that as I get older, myinterests shift a bit and I am becoming more pickey in my tastes. I've seen a lot and played a lot of different games and I'm not as easy to please anymore. God, I feel old sometimes...:PHas nothing to do with the family though...

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Oh yea. I don't play as much. Women want their attention. Whenever my girl comes over and I'm playing the 360, she will sit on the couch and give me that look. The "come over here" look.

Gosh I love that look...

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
Yes thats why I'm single :) girlfriends usually hate gaming.... they would rather go ikea or some crap :/ GO ON YOUR OWN STUPID WOMAN I DON'T FORCE YOU TO GAME WITH ME. (that is my experience anyway, and it did deserve caps)
olrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 olrion
Member since 2005 • 457 Posts
Not yet, but I am moving in with my girlfriend in the next few weeks. I imagine that my 'game time' will be limited from here on. I think every relationship has a 'you spend too much time on that thing' argument.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I prefer being single and playing all i want for now.

kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kaskus
This is correct if your really stubborn on making gaming your priority rather than your marriage. BIG PROBLEM MAN!
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

People don't know when to stop playing........ So stubborn those types of guys not giving attention to their partners.....kaskus
I don't think it's being stubborn. I think they're jerks for leading on a girl they don't really like all that much. They should have the common courtesy to dump her.

As for the OP, relationships have an effect on everything, including hobbies, whatever they may be. I don't think that's rocket science.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 muthsera666
People don't know when to stop playing........ So stubborn those types of guys not giving attention to their partners.....kaskus
I assume you mean guys in the non-gender form. I hope you aren't saying that it's only guys. Women can do it just as much with games or other interests.
ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

My girlfriend is actually cool when it comes to my gaming.

She understands its my hobby, and doesn't want to change it.

mightychir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#42 mightychir
Member since 2008 • 11673 Posts
I used to have a girlfriend but she was too much of a distraction to me =/ Not saying VG>Gurlz just saying I don't have much time as usual.
Tolietrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tolietrees

Yeah i defenitatly found that having a gf impacted my gaming life, cus she wanted me to hang out and stuff with her. But now thats over lol

Avatar image for Dweedleking5000
Dweedleking5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dweedleking5000
Member since 2009 • 219 Posts
my GF loves me playing games. for some reason she says im better in bed when im in a gameing trance.. god knows why..
stubby17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 stubby17
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

I'm quite lucky as my wife is usually in bed by 9-9.30 most nights si I can get at least an hour and half plus on the weekend I tend to stay up after ice hockey practice to wind down so I still get to play on the computer quite a bit.

Avatar image for FreshWhiteBread
FreshWhiteBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FreshWhiteBread
Member since 2009 • 383 Posts
Well I use to have a gf and she complained about me playing wow and my arena partner complained about me not being on. Long story short my arena partner won.
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts
My wife has atleast calmed down a little about my gaming habits - when she started hearing and seeing her friends and family torn apart by thier loved ones cheating or living too much of a night life. She looks at it more - "atleast my husband stays home and just plays games" -
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#49 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
My ex-wife used to give me a rough time. True story. My wife now loves that I have an outlet.
Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
I asked my woman what she disliked more, when I played WoW or the Xbox 360. She says with the 360 I can pause and actually use it for 'good' at like family outtings. That and she uses it as an excuse to get me to go to her family trips. With WoW, it didn't benefit anyone but me. So yeah, she hated WoW.