Halo/Destiny composer sues Bungie

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 0

#2 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's a shame things ended up the way they did, Halo games always had very distinct, ambient soundtracks

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I must say that I'm very curious as to what exactly happened for a long time member of Bungie like Marty to have been fired and treated this way.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Oh dear. :(

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride

I wonder why they fired him

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Yeah whatever happened to having a little solidarity. In Japan even big companies like Bungee treat their employees with respect as long as they do their job well and remain loyal. This smells like some kind of kneejerk, executive-cover-my-ass move made by some entitled ceo fatcat. This kind of power abuse is sickening - I really hope the guy makes a killing with his lawsuit. He's definitely earned it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

@darktruth007 said:

Yeah whatever happened to having a little solidarity. In Japan even big companies like Bungee treat their employees with respect as long as they do their job well and remain loyal. This smells like some kind of kneejerk, executive-cover-my-ass move made by some entitled ceo fatcat. This kind of power abuse is sickening - I really hope the guy makes a killing with his lawsuit. He's definitely earned it.

By the sounds of it he just got fired without warning while he was finishing the score for the game

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

he should just let it go. Only sue people for big things not for little things like vacation pay. By the time he gets a lawyer to do this, any money he would have made will be gone, plus his time wasted dealing with this whole thing.

I heard he was fired because he wanted a pay raise, and he had already had one recently... so they decided his greed could not go unpunished and the corporate scum fired him. He maybe thought he was more important then he really was.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#10 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Might as well share some of my favorite soundtracks done by him, they really set the tone for the games

the obvious one
Halo 1/3 - A Walk in the Woods
Halo 2 - In Amber Clad

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@Old_Gooseberry: More important then he really was? Marty O'Donnel WAS Halo. His music WAS Halo. It made the entire series what it was. Seriously go litsen to the Halo 2 ost and tell me it's not one of the best video game soundtrack of all time.

This whole ordeal... Really sucks for Bungie and Destiny. The game will suck without his music.

i wasnt bashing his halo soundtracks, i like them a ton also. And Halo 1 & 2 is one of the best ones he did. Maybe the top 10 soundtracks in my books also. Just they probably didn't see any reason to keep him around since their new game isn't a Halo game.

I actually liked Halo 3 soundtrack also... even though its best music was mostly remixed from similar sounding tracks from the first and second game.

There probably was never a soundtrack in a game that fit as well is Halo's did. No fps game has come close to matching its soundtrack. Most fps games don't even give music much of a thought.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

We might learn more if this ever hits court.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@SovietsUnited said:

It's a shame things ended up the way they did, Halo games always had very distinct, ambient soundtracks

I agree. The Halo soundtracks kicked off this century's best video game music.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@Old_Gooseberry: More important then he really was? Marty O'Donnel WAS Halo. His music WAS Halo. It made the entire series what it was. Seriously go litsen to the Halo 2 ost and tell me it's not one of the best video game soundtrack of all time.

This whole ordeal... Really sucks for Bungie and Destiny. The game will suck without his music.

Let's not get carried away. People didn't play Halo for the music. If the guy got greedy and they fired him it's a business decision. That's all.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

We might learn more if this ever hits court.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking