• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

J_Dodson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 J_Dodson
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

Hi, you don't know me, but my name is Joe Dodson, and I'm the new Gamespot features editor. Since this is kind of an introduction, I'll tell you a bit about myself: I like elaborate hoaxes, dangerous reptiles, and winning. My turn-offs include: Alarm clocks, wet floors, harmless reptiles, and ankle socks (especially when combined with wet floors).

Now that we're all friends, let me tell you why I'm here, presumptuously posting in your forum. What I want to know is...what do you want? Specifically, in terms of reading material for your procrastinating pleasure.

What types of pieces do you wish you could find on Gamespot? What do you like to read elsewhere? What interests you about video games that is not covered in news, reviews, or previews? Let me know, and I'll do my best to hook you up.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
You know, we don't take kindly to noobs in these parts.
J_Dodson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 J_Dodson

No one takes kindly to noobs in any forum, anywhere. You could make a first post in a knitting forum and get flamed by otherwise sweet, old ladies.

That isn't the point.

I want to write things you'll want to read. If you have thoughts, share them, and I'll do my best to turn them into a bunch of good features.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Hmmm...I don't have any ideas at the moment, but I can say I'm looking forward to seeing more features!
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

This might not count as a feature, but I'd like to see more news reports on rumors, and rumblings within the industry. I've always respected that Gamespot doesn't report on news items until they are confirmed to be true... however being an avid forum poster on this site, and NeoGAF, I usually end up hearing the news days before you guys post it. It would be nice to see you guys run with stories earlier, even if it means putting up disclaimers that the news isn't confirmed, or printing a retraction every once in a while. I really like the Gamespot community, but for me, none of the major gaming sites are keeping up with the speed of the gaming forums and blogs.

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
This isn't really such a big deal, but I'd like to see the "Poll of the Day" updated more frequently. Sometimes days go by before a new question is posted.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

You know, the first thing that came to mind was Wired Magazine's fascinating The Road to Ruin: How Grand Theft Auto Hit the Skids article. Reading about the inner-workings of a game company, its highs and lows is something that I find extremely interesting. It doesn't have to be a big, elusive company like Rockstar. I'd love to read about Valve, Relic, Monolith, Firaxis...I realize such insight into game companies may be very hard to come by, but hey - you asked. :wink:

J_Dodson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 J_Dodson
Hmm, maybe an occasional feature where we mix completely made up rumors with real ones. Anyway, interesting idea, I'll play with it. Keep 'em coming!
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I would love if Gamespot did more things like Escapist Magazine. Game post mortems, interviews with developers about their thoughts on things beyond just their own game or their job, articles about why gamers do or dont do things, pros and cons of game advertisement, how will the future of MMO's be different in 10 years? and so many others.

The Escapist Magzine is so different from other game sites because they dont talk about just games - but about gaming. What gaming is, isnt, should be, shouldn't be, and why.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rragnaar

I would love if Gamespot did more things like Escapist Magazine. Game post mortems, interviews with developers about their thoughts on things beyond just their own game or their job, articles about why gamers do or dont do things, pros and cons of game advertisement, how will the future of MMO's be different in 10 years? and so many others.

The Escapist Magzine is so different from other game sites because they dont talk about just games - but about gaming. What gaming is, isnt, should be, shouldn't be, and why.

XaosII

That sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check those guys out.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The Escapist Magzine is so different from other game sites because they dont talk about just games - but about gaming. What gaming is, isnt, should be, shouldn't be, and why.XaosII

Good call. The Escapist does some great stuff.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

That sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check those guys out. rragnaar

Heres a random article from their previous "issue" about Zombie games, whats the appeal, their history, and why they work.

I personally find articles like those more interesting than watching someone else play games, graphical comparisons, and staff soapbox. While i dont mind the soapbox, i personally would rather hear a developer on a soapbox with some unfiltered PR speaking his mind - because thats something you dont hear everyday.

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 earthking
Member since 2003 • 12506 Posts

Welcome to the forums and GS!....:)...But as rragnaar said....I want to read more rumors.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

I want to see more coverage of 8 and 16-bit games! (Only kidding! I think my topic has those covered!)

Actually, one small idea I had for a feature:

Non-Disclosure Agreement Games Disclosed! I want to see behind the veil of the videogame industry to see what they THOUGHT would be big enough to try and keep under wraps at first, and then, what ultimately happened to those games...? Did they live up to their NDA's or were the NDA's JUST to start the hype machine? What was supposed to be the next big thing that just quietly flopped... These enigmas drive the marketing and publicity of games, and I know: the current one's can't be discussed now... but learning about PAST ones would be cool!

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'd love to see features including (but not limited to) editorials, retrospectives, sort of a special feature section, so to speak.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar

Welcome to the forums. I'd love to see features including (but not limited to) editorials, retrospectives, sort of a special feature section, so to speak. SteelAttack

Totally, we move on too fast sometimes, it would be interesting to take a look back on some games after the initial hype has died down.

J_Dodson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 J_Dodson

I would also like to see a Mailbag Feature. We used to run Burning Questions, but Alex Navarro knows more about that than I do. I'll have to see what input he has.

Regarding NDA games and the hits they didn't turn into, a broader topic might be industry blunders and follies. Lord knows there are plenty every year.

Regarding the escapist, they're not a bad source of feature fodder, though they get a little boring. In fact, I just woke up from a feature they wrote about the importance of lighting in video games. Point taken, though, and appreciated. You want features that focus on interesting characters, companies, and technologies. I will do my best to deliver.

Keep em coming, I'm writing these down.

gazoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gazoz
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
The polls should be updated daily as someone mentioned, just like in gamefaqs. I visit there every morning just to take the poll. More interactivity would be nice, whatever the feature is going to be. Some regular stuff about video games and their effects onlife would be great. Note that there are tons of things to feature there. Good luck, we gamespotters are a demanding race. Make us proud.
-Prime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Prime-
Member since 2006 • 964 Posts

Some sort of direct Q and A, similar to IGN's mailbag. getyeryayasout

I like that idea as well.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

Thank you for coming on here like this. I read the Wired GTA feature in a hospital waiting room, and actually went out there after I saw the doctor to finish it. Rockstar is hard to get any info on.

But if you want a real reply, well, GameSpot lost its smartest editor, some recent reviews leave much to be desired, but well-written pieces are always met with enthusiasm around here. Geoff Keighley's Half-Life 2 feature, for example. Are you as smart as Greg Kasavin or Geoff Keighley?

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

There was a great feature there where Greg K. did interviews about all sorts of things with developers that only lasted a few episodes before he left. That seemed promising.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sort of video round table discussion with topics presented by the users. I know the hotspot kind of does that but not quite IMO.

Also violence, lots and lots of violence.

Oh and welcome.

maddog95376

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 maddog95376
Member since 2002 • 214 Posts
I'd like to see some kind of first-impressions review for games. Some times, GS doesn't post a review for a particular game until after it hits shelves. For instance, i really wanted to pick up Two Worlds. GS didn't have their official take on it up on the site yet before it came out. I didn't pick it up because of poor reviews posted on other sites, but I would've liked to know what GS had to say before the game came out. Maybe if GS was to post a quick word or two or even a video (that'd be cool) of the "review so far" that gives the reviewer's first impressions of the game before the official review gets posted. Maybe in the case of Two Worlds, a post the day before the game came out stating any problems or dislikes (or likes) that the reviewer is experiencing at some particular point in the review process would help me in a game buying decision. The particular reviewer doesn't need to give a score or say anything definitive. But in the case of Two Worlds, I'm sure the reviewer's first impressions were "Wow, these graphics reek and the it's very buggy!" That would've been a handy tidbit for me in deciding whether or not to drop 60 bones. Thanks and welcome to our world!
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
I would love to see a (could be fairly small) section of gamespot dedicated to Mods, Modding and Mod makers. Welcome to Gamespot. It's nice to see they are bringing in some fresh blood.
J_Dodson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 J_Dodson

Are you as smart as Greg Kasavin or Geoff Keighley?

appleater

No, but I am better looking.

I'll mention the first impressions idea to the review team, because that's more their department than mine. I thinkit soundsgood, but there's always more to these things than meets the eye.

I like the mods/modders idea. I will definitely pursue that.

The interactive idea is also a good one, and I've been tossing around a couplenotions on that front. However, that might be something better handled by the community team. Did you have anything in particular in mind?

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="appleater"]

Are you as smart as Greg Kasavin or Geoff Keighley?

J_Dodson

No, but I am better looking.

Lol. I don't think that looking better than them issuch a difficult feat. :P

J, why don't you stick this thread for a while? It will give it enough time to get a nice number of posts without having to drag it back from the grave every time it drops from the first couple of pages.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

You know what? Maybe a clas-sic game "revisited" feature wouldn't be a bad idea after all!

There are certain games that stand the test of time and others that just DON'T...

What it is about those games and why they are timeless. That would be cool.

(Tetris. Chrono Trigger. Super Metroid. Games like those!)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Joe Dodson? I know I've heard that name before. Or seen it. Whatever. :) Tell me more about your Realian parents. I'm intrigued.

So I guess what you could do is pretty much what Carrie used to do. You know, being a girl and all that.

Aside from that, I've got nothing. My brain has failed.

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Hey Joe, welcome to the community :)

I also would like to see the return of Burning Questions, but maybe with more editors rather than just Alex. I'm not saying I don't like Alex, I just suspect that at least part of the reason he stopped writing it was because it took too much work for him alone.

I'd also like to see a Soapbox-like feature for user reviews and/or video reviews. If you look in the sticky section of this forum (General Games Discussion), you'll see a feature called ReviewSpotting, but that's completly user-run. Soapbox entries actually get featured on the home page of the site, and I'd love to see that kind of treatment for user reviews and videos as well. Some user videos get featured on the main forums page (on the right side) but the system still pales in comparrison to that of the editorial Soapbox.

The way it is is now, I'd much rather write an editorial than a review (even though I'm a better review writer) because I get about 100x more exposure that way. It's a shame. Some reviews are featured on the main page, but apparently they're picked randomly instead of being hand-picked by the staff like the Soapbox entries.

Other than that, I'd just like to see more interaction with the staff again. If I remember correctly there was a feature called Freeplay a while back that was kind of like a staff blog that focused on different stuff around the industry. I really enjoyed it, but I guess there had to be a reason it was discontinued. Maybe it didn't get enough hits?

I'm not sure if you're the guy to ask on this one, but I'd also like to see users able to use the little badges and demerits in user reviews as well. That'd be really dope, and I can't think of a good reason why we can't use those already. Unless GameSpot doesn't really care about user reviews much, which is entirely possible, seeing as user reviews get almost no exposure.

Lastly, I'd also like to see the feature duxup was talking about come back. I think it was called "Designer Diaries". It wasn't necessarily interviews with people that made current games, just important people around the industry.

Anyway, I think it's really cool that you're asking us what we want -- that's already a great sign of things to come :). Overall, GameSpot's features are already really helpful and interesting to read, so the advent of them getting even more attention is really exciting.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#31 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I've seen many other magazines do something, Newsweek, Game Informer, etc. They all have this.

A "Numbers" section. Perhaps some interesting tidbits about how many things were done in this game, or some other random nothings about development, number of NPCs, etc.

I'd imagine it would be hard to make into a "Feature" that appears regularly, but something interesting. Stuff that is completely factual, to something completely inane like "67% of Gamespot Editors prefer Smuckers Jam over the leading competitor".

If not, how about a trivia thing (that's not necessarily done live broadcast)? People try doing that here in this forum, but as I understand, it's against the rules, seeing as it's not necessarily discussion.

If I have any better ideas, I'd let you know. Thanks for asking how to make this a better place.

J_Dodson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 J_Dodson

The Classic games revisited thing is always a good idea, but I think instead of looking back on what games have stood the test of time until now, it might be interesting to predict which games will stand the test of time into the future, like when our alien overlords return to earth. What will we be playing then?

I will definitely try to bring back some form of Burning Questions, but with a different spin. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. If you don't, don't worry, I have some good ideas on this topic.

Regarding a User Review spotlight - Yes, that is more the community department's, uh, department than it is mine. However, I'm interested in working with them to coordinate features with contests, with the winner/results being the featured content.

What contests would you like to see?

The problem with staff blogs is that we're all so busy with things we *have* to do, it's hard to set time aside to do things with no set deadlines.

As far as a Designer Diaries feature, it can be difficult to find people who say things that are downright interesting. There are a few, and I'll see what I can do on this front. But to be honest with you, gaming panels can be really boring. I wouldn't want to subject you to one unless I was certain it would be insightful and really entertaining.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

There's a magazine out there (I forget which) that does a short "Then and Now" section in which they re-review old games. Knowing GameSpot's review guidelines fairly well, I think this would be a cool, useful feature here as well, especially for the games that were once high-profile.

As a former editor for the aforementioned ReviewSpotting feature, I can tell you first hand that the users on this site pour their hearts and souls into their contributions, and they totally deserve more recognition where user reviews and videos are concerned. SoapBox editorials often see in excess of 100 responses, and that's awesome. Other noteworthy contributions should get as much lovin'.

I also second the return of "Burning Questions." Please, let us badger you.

EDIT: Predicting which games will stand the test of time idea: approved

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I predict that in 300 years, when our alien overlords return to Earth, ET will still be remembered as being total crap. :)

Sounds cool. I approve.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
More History of's. Or at least update the ones that're already out. I don't want hype for Sonic Advance, damnit!
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
Hey Joe, welcome to Gamespot's forums. Feel free to stick around, and berate random posters for not being GameSpot staff.

First and foremost, I'd like to see me writing some of those features. And be paid with various tropical islands for my brilliant work.

If such a thing is impossible, there's just one general suggestion I have to make for features... stop making them so ruddy boring. You know what the last five features were (not counting EA's game showcase, which was more event coverage than a feature)? A comparison between the PC and 360 versions of BioShock, a graphical comparison between Metroid Prime 2 and 3, a game guide for Metroid Prime 3, hands-on with with the PSP slim and a BioShock hardware performance report. What do all these features have in common? They're all useful to a degree, but more importantly, they're boring! Where are the fascinating articles getting into the meat of what it takes to be a game developer? Or a report on the approach of developers to storytelling? Where are the spotlights put on developers, and their way of approaching the creation of videogame? Where are the editors chiming in with cheeky takes on the major issues of the day? Somewhere, GameSpot has forgotten that features are a golden opportunity to have some fun with videogames. Nowadays, we get to read articles about how to upgrade our PS3 hard drive. Woo. Party.

So more than anything, bring back features that are fun, both in subject matter and content.
Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Korubi

All of the Designer Diaries I listened to were really interesting. Have all the possibilities been exhausted? I doubt that.

I'd love to see you guys continue Adam's Developer for a Day contest, and a review contest would also be super cool (even cooler in my opinion). GameSpot also held a contest a while back where users had to make a video describing why THEY deserved to go to E3. Users then got to vote on entries and the best one got a free trip to E3 and got to even sit in on GameSpot's stage show. Contests like that are really exciting. I read somewhere that the most successfull websites are the ones that let users add content, and encouring that content with a contests sounds like a good idea to me.

Basically, I don't have any really concrete ideas, but I'd love to see more focus on user reviews and user videos. If GameSpot could somehow highlight the people that are making great content already, and encourage all the other people to make better content, that'd be really cool.

KrAzY_cHrIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 KrAzY_cHrIs
Member since 2007 • 1132 Posts
Why not a feature that tells us of great games that did'nt get the widespread appeal they deserved. Like for example dominions 3. My friend showed me a demo of thegame and it's a great title although it was never popular, although that may be becausce of it's 300 page rule book that it talks about in the demo (I could imagine it as this game has quite a lot of little weird things that may not be clear by just playing the game) Well thats all I can think of now but mabye you should ask Arran Thomas his getting to know gamespot is very feature worthy in my opinion.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oilers99

I'd love to see you guys continue Adam's Developer for a Day contest, and a review contest would also be super cool (even cooler in my opinion).

Korubi

Developer for a Day is Adam's personal project. GameSpot's involvement extends to having certain staff members volunteer as judges, and showcase the fourth contest.

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Korubi
[QUOTE="Korubi"]

I'd love to see you guys continue Adam's Developer for a Day contest, and a review contest would also be super cool (even cooler in my opinion).

Oilers99

Developer for a Day is Adam's personal project. GameSpot's involvement extends to having certain staff members volunteer as judges, and showcase the fourth contest.

But Adam doesn't work for GameSpot anymore, and users can't hold contests. So I'm asking if GameSpot themselves can continue it :)

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="Korubi"]

Korubi

But Adam doesn't work for GameSpot anymore, and users can't hold contests. So I'm asking if GameSpot themselves can continue it :)

Well, Adam held it as a contest before he became a GameSpot employee, so I don't see why he shouldn't be able to do so again now that he's left. Maybe he'll have to get permission or something, but given that it's a forum tradition, I'd be shocked not to see it again in some form. He might pass the contest on to someone else, though, depending on his plans.

Darkwing_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darkwing_Duck
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

Actual columns. Soapbox doesn't cut it. Gamespotting and Freeplay were good. I guess since the site seems to be so focused on the video end, the written word is quickly being lost here.

TheCrimsonblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheCrimsonblur
Member since 2003 • 1376 Posts

I agree with everyone in that this site needs to put a little more focus on the history of video games. We are so caught up in the games on the release calendar that we forget how much this industry's been through. I can see a new feature in which editors get together to share their experience with a franchise, including general talk of how it evolved, favorite moments, whats expected to come, etc. I can imagine this becoming relatively interactive if users get to set the topics of the discussion by asking questions. It can be a great feature before the next installment in a popular series comes out. If thats too much effort, retrospectives would be great too.

How about community editorial topics for the soapbox? Pose a topic to the gamespot community and then we will try to write our opinion of it in our blogs. Pick the best answers to be featured on the site.

Oilers makes a great point too, there could be more content on the developers themselves. How about a feature that details the life and works of popular developers (The list of possible prospects is not small either, profiles of Miyamoto, Kojima, Sakurai, Mizuguchi, Meier, Wright, Shafer, Mikami, Sakaguchi, etc. would all make very interesting reads), or, to make it even broader, include non-developers too (composers, CEOs, etc.).

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Korubi

What about an editorial contest (maybe within Soap Box) where you give users a topic to write about and then post the best entries? You could get some pretty interesting pieces that way.

Edit -- I totally read over the fact that Crimson just suggested this! I agree with it then :)

TheCrimsonblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheCrimsonblur
Member since 2003 • 1376 Posts

What about an editorial contest (maybe within Soap Box) where you give users a topic to write about and then post the best entries? You could get some pretty interesting pieces that way.

Edit -- I totally read over the fact that Crimson just suggested this! I agree with it then :)

Korubi

Great minds think alike. :P

kriptonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kriptonzz
Member since 2004 • 3637 Posts
the last word needs to come back for sure.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I would like to see more interviews with game designers/companies, I guess something like that is covered in the preview section but I would like to see them interview people about other things, like interview peter moore "hows EA going?" or other industry bigwigs and smallwigs alike. I also liked UpinFlames idea about following the history of game companies, doing a big past, present, future article on them basically. There was one kicking around for Rockstar Games a while back and I think it was a great read, id like to see how other companies started off, what the development process is like, their struggle and subsequent rise to fame etc. think Blizzard, Bioware, Atari, Sega...anyone. Also I think we should up the violence and boobz quotient by at least 35%
PS2_PC_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PS2_PC_FAN
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts

This isn't really such a big deal, but I'd like to see the "Poll of the Day" updated more frequently. Sometimes days go by before a new question is posted.shufu7-11

i agree

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I'd like to see more retrospectives and more opinion in general, be it the readers' opinion in article form or the writers' own. Info, critique and hype are good enough, but it's the opinion that makes the difference for me.